• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Bonus game:The Staff of Kings PSP/PS2/DS/Wii)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
HyperZone<3 said:
while they're at it, they could toss in the N64 Indiana Jones game too.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/n64/indianajones/indianajones_1108_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/n64/indianajones/indianajones_1108_screen010.jpg

supposedly a pretty decent Tomb Raider knockoff. Anybody ever play this, or is it best left forgotten?
That's the one that also got a PC port, right? "Turm von Babel" in Germany?
It was mediocre at best. Annoying camera and bug-ridden. Whip was awful. Story was alright though.

Mifune

Mehmber
wmat said:
That's the one that also got a PC port, right? "Turm von Babel" in Germany?
It was mediocre at best. Annoying camera and bug-ridden. Whip was awful. Story was alright though.

I'm pretty sure it came out for the PC first. And then later Factor 5 did an N64 port.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
New screen.

ind_jones-1.jpg

Look familiar?

Here's a screenshot from the 360/PS3 game that they showed at E3 2006:

indynextgen.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wait, are the PS3/360 versions canned, then?
Just read about the sweet fucking bonus being included with the Wii SKU.
That's unusually generous and thoughtful of Lucasarts.

Edit - Yeah, Infernal Machine was originally a PC game that got an updated port to the N64 by Factor 5, IIRC. There was a GB or GBA conversion too. Not sure who handled that.

Frencherman said:
Very strange, in comparison to the HD-Version of 2006 the Wii-Screenshot doen't look that bad anymore.:lol

Can't explain why

Seriously? You're comparing a full-sized Wii screenshot to a 478x272, off-screen, and badly compressed "HD" screenshot.

Mejilan said:
Just read about the sweet fucking bonus being included with the Wii SKU.
That's unusually generous and thoughtful of Lucasarts.
yeah, they used to be pretty cool about shit. I remember getting Monkey Island 1 and 2 for free with my PC copy of Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 3 gratis with my PC copy of Monkey Island 4.

I mean, shit man, publishers just don't do that anymore.

ram

Mejilan said:

dunno how reliable the source is (since i didnt read something about that on any other page).

With the recent announcement that Lucasarts are working on Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings for Wii, DS, PS2 and the PSP, many people wondered what had happened with the “next gen” version of Indiana Jones that was highly boasted about a few years back, and if development of that game was happening, albeit quietly, concurrently with Staff of Kings.

However, this seems not to be the case, as Lucasarts have now confirmed they’ve decided to work solely on Staff of Kings, making a “strategic business decision” to end development of the 360/PS3 versions.

“We want to bring consumers an Indy experience in 2009 following the successful launch of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008,
” comments a LucasArts spokesperson. “The next-gen skus would not be ready for the 2009 window so we made a strategic business decision to end development on PS3 and Xbox 360.”

The spokesperson goes onto add that fans should not fret, as they will be able to “experience an all new adventure with Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings on Wii, DS, PS2 and the PSP this coming Spring.”

The first, and now presumedly last, we saw of “Next-Gen Indy” was this trailer, which was released in mid 2006. It boasted that the game was to be the first to use NaturalMotion’s Euphoria technology to mimic human behaviour with in-game animations. However, the likes of GTA IV and LucasArts own Star Wars: The Force Unleashed turned out to be the forerunners to use that tech.

It is currently not known what has happened to the team that was working on the game. They could have being moved on to a brand new project that is still to be announced, or may have merged with the Staff of Kings team.

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-news/development-ended-on-ps3360-indiana-jones/

VerTiGo

Banned
Game looks great. The first images and trailer was a letdown but this newest stuff shows a lot of promise and as an Indy fanboy too I'm hyped.

gamingeek

Bizaarely looking interesting now, more so knowing that fate of atlantis is there too. Its starting to remind me a little of Disaster DOC.

Xellos

The graphics look kind of simple, but the animation looks really smooth. They did a great job capturing Indy's expression of surprise when he's on the bridge and the spider drops down in front of his face.

gamingeek said:
Its starting to remind me a little of Disaster DOC.

I was thinking the same thing after seeing the waggle based sections like the raft, plane, and spiders. Hope they don't overdo it with the "rolling boulder" type escapes, with Indy running towards the camera. The trailer shows the game has at least two of them.

Indiana's face needs some work IMO, otherwise it looks quite nice.

LOL at the gun shooting while riding an elephant through a city.

pakkit

Banned
I'm concerned about using the whip. 3 gestures? I'm not sure the Wii can recognize all those gestures reliably without Wii Motion+. Hopefully this is good, and the motion detection is on par with Deadly Creatures.

GDGF

Soothsayer
pakkit said:
I'm concerned about using the whip. 3 gestures? I'm not sure the Wii can recognize all those gestures reliably without Wii Motion+. Hopefully this is good, and the motion detection is on par with Deadly Creatures.

It's probably something simple like up to down, down to up, and right to left. Shouldn't be a problem.

Edit:My avatar is back. Yay!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's starting to look kinda nice. Although, I guess that could just be relative to how it used to look.

But all the same, yeah, looking alright.

Haunted

New trailer looks surprisingly good.

Also totally needs .gifs from the guy with the Indy hat punching (0:31) and whipping with the Wiimote (0:48).

VideoMan said:
New screen.
ind_jones-1.jpg

Look familiar? Here's a screenshot from the 360/PS3 game that they showed at E3 2006:
indynextgen.jpg
So they probably took some of the assets/elements from the canned HD version to implement them into this game? Is that right? Well, I can live with that.

Looks like they've basically done what some GAFers say all the time - if HD development proves too costly and too much of a risk, switch to Wii(+PS2/PSP). Bigger install base, less development cost.

After reading the interview...

gamespot q&a said:
GameSpot: When did development on the game begin? How is this game tied to the next-gen Indy game mentioned at E3?

Matt Vella/Johnny Szary: It follows the original story created by LucasArts and mentioned at E3 a couple years ago.

Copout answer, bummed that Gamespot didn't pursue it further.

MV/JS: Indy explores the catacombs underneath Paris in that DS-exclusive location. On the PSP version the game begins in 1922 when Indy is just a young lad exploring ancient Mayan ruins with a schoolmate who will eventually become his archnemesis. On the Wii version you'll be able to drive a motorbike, fly planes using the Wii Remote like a flight stick, drive tanks, and escape sudden death in a raft by rowing.

Nice, I like these kinds of exclusive levels. Shows that a little care has been put into each platform.

MV/JS: On the DS the player will use the stylus for navigation, puzzle solving, and combat. Additionally, the microphone is used in both single-player and multiplayer cipher labyrinth gameplay.
Not sure if I like the sound of this or not...

scitek

Sounds like the developers just tried to have fun with coming up with different exclusive things for each platform. Also, is the Wii version the lead SKU? Like, will the PS2 version be ported from it, or vice versa?

Still as beautiful as ever. I just wish Lucasarts were prepared to put out a package of their classic adventures on the system instead of appending this as a bonus on a game that may not be any cop.

The Hermit

adg1034 said:
You mean... Lucasarts actually remembers that they used to release games before 1999? I'm currently in shock.

yeah, I hope they keep this trend...

never played Fate of Atlantis, so I am buying this game just for that... hopefully the bonus game is fun too, so its a win-win.

pre-ordered Wii version based on Fate of Atlantis inclusion alone. Just thinking about pointing and clicking to that game on my 42" makes me wet.

PuppetSlave said:
That is a big hand pointer :lol
Developers really make absurd decisions at times. Wouldn't the classic cursor have worked?

Anyway, I wonder if they'll use the original sound driver.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Haunted said:
They pixelised the classic Wii hand pointer, awesome. :lol
Exactly. I don't get why people are complaining, it's just the default menu pointer made old style... which is awesome :lol

Top Bottom