• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Bonus game:The Staff of Kings PSP/PS2/DS/Wii)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hmmmmmmmmmm.. not thrilled about the filter it looks like they've applied. I realize if it's not an unlockable they are going to want to modernize it as much as possible, but I'm a pixel art purist at heart, so it's kind of sad to see. That being said, day f'ing one.

borghe said:
hmmmmmmmmmm.. not thrilled about the filter it looks like they've applied. I realize if it's not an unlockable they are going to want to modernize it as much as possible, but I'm a pixel art purist at heart, so it's kind of sad to see. That being said, day f'ing one.
I don't think there's a filter. they are propably just blurry screengrabs.

But Atlantis is a hunt the pixel game. You are only going to use the tip of the index finger anyway... Should have made the hand smaller. Or let us switch between a couple of predefined pointers.

Man it really would be sweet to have Fate of Atlantis again. I have the Amiga version but my Amiga 500 have seen better days, years, decade. Last time I played it the mouse was partially broken so I had to sit and gently push the rubber ball with my fingers. Could cross the screen in half a minute or so. :lol Was ridiculous but I still sat and played the whole afternoon.

CamHostage

Haunted said:
So they probably took some of the assets/elements from the canned HD version to implement them into this game? Is that right? Well, I can live with that.

Looks like they've basically done what some GAFers say all the time - if HD development proves too costly and too much of a risk, switch to Wii(+PS2/PSP). Bigger install base, less development cost.

Not exactly. The games that are coming out now were basically conversions (not ports, but platform-oriented versions of the same storyline) of the next-gen game. Look around and you'll find info on the storyline that was to be in the Euphoria-filled next-gen version, which has now been made canon in the press release for the Wii version. So they were working on the next-gen one and also had a separate team working (without an announcement, but the project was pretty well exposed by retail listings and rumor stories) on the smaller platform versions, and at some point they decided that the PS3/360 version just wasn't coming together but that the sub-contracted version was actually worth finishing and shipping.

It's nice to see Atlantis on Wii, but why did that have to be only on that platform? My only hope is that LucasArts kept it off PSP and especially DS (where it could have worked PERFECTLY) because they maybe have a LucasArts archive in the works. Too bad I have no faith in LucasArts anymore to believe that they're finally giving us that.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
straydog1980 said:
BUT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CLICK EVERY PIXEL?????
PuppetSlave said:
But Atlantis is a hunt the pixel game. You are only going to use the tip of the index finger anyway... Should have made the hand smaller. Or let us switch between a couple of predefined pointers.
dk_ said:
It's too fucking big.
What about making clickable areas slightly bigger, so people don't have to pixel hunt that hard? :p
è_é

Haunted said:
thats what she said
:lol

Frencherman said:
I like what I'm seeing, doesn't look half as bad as everybody is predicting.

Considering this was a next gen game with euphoria and other tech crap that Lucasarts spent a ton of money on. You can't help but look at it as a disappointment.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Considering this was a next gen game with euphoria and other tech crap that Lucasarts spent a ton of money on. You can't help but look at it as a disappointment.

I think Starwars TFU has proved that technology is not everything regarding the Wii-Version.

Personally, can't wait to punch with Nunchuk und Wiimote :D

gamingeek

The quality of the video is so damn bad I can barely make anything out. What is up with this game, the variation in quality between different sets of screens or video is unbelievable.

jrricky

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It was a next gen xbox720, wiiHD, ps4 game? :-O

Even if you see a clear difference between Wii and PSP Version, it's obvious that Wii's visuals could be much better without it.

The off-screen vids look good, the textures seems very sharp.

gamingeek

IGN preview is up! :D

indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090505094156024_640w.jpg

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/979/979695p1.html

If you're an Indy fan (and we are), you'll likely lap Staff of King's up. There's John Williams' rousing theme tune mixing seamlessly with brand new orchestrations and a bucket load of atmosphere, courtesy of some blockbuster presentation and attention to detail. Staff of King's drips Indy right through the middle - even the game's front end is presented as an interactive poke around Dr. Jones' office, with levels and options accessed by spinning the globe on his desk, rifling through postcards or firing up the old movie projector on the wall.

It's clear that LucasArts has crafted a remarkably good looking game, packed with detailed textures, real-time shadows, reflections, atmospheric lighting and a bunch of other effects and filters - from heat haze to film grain - all working together to recreate that distinctive pulp adventure feel.

(GG note - looks like the good screens are what it looks like )

Although progress seems relatively linear, LucasArts is keen to highlight Staff of Kings' branching pathway system, giving an element of player choice in certain situations. At one point in Chinatown, for instance, you can enter an off-street speakeasy Alternatively, further exploration reveals a route down into the basement -etc

It's easy to scoff a game that embraces motion controls with such first-generation gusto but LucasArts seems to have done a grand job marrying physical movement to onscreen action in a way that successfully heightens immersion rather than detracts through pointless gimmickry.

It's most evident in Staff of Kings surprisingly rounded combat system. Fighting's been designed around brawling, with an emphasis on using your wits - and the environment - to even the odds against you

While controls suffered from occasional unresponsiveness during our demo, the overall effect is surprisingly visceral and immensely satisfying.

On paper, it's hard not to roll your eyes at Staff of Kings, with its reliance on Wii's notoriously unreliable motion controls for every major interaction – whether that's whip-cracking, fist-fighting or even puzzling-solving. However, on evidence, the game's something of a rarity – being a third-party offering that successfully integrates motion controls as a core component in a way that actually adds to the overall experience.

While it's clearly pitched at a more mainstream audience, Staff of Kings appears to do a grand job of recreating that irresistible Indy magic. Factor in an entirely separate story-driven, two-player co-op mode – which LucasArts is staying tight-lipped about for the moment – plus the full version of classic point-and-click adventure Fate of Atlantis once you've completed the game, and we're surprisingly optimistic about the game's arrival come June.

Disaster Day of Indiana Jones Confirmed. Ownage.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
PSP and Wii screens are pretty close in terms of quality. Wii is definitely better, but not as much as I'd have thought. If the game is good, I'll definitely pick it up on PSP when it hits $20.

gamingeek

drakesfortune said:
PSP and Wii screens are pretty close in terms of quality. Wii is definitely better, but not as much as I'd have thought. If the game is good, I'll definitely pick it up on PSP when it hits $20.

I think there's a pretty big difference. You have to understand that the bad screens you are seeing of the Wii version are bad screens. If you read the IGN preview it makes clear that the Wii version has graphics that look like the better screens.

PSP
psp_00004358.jpg

Wii
indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090505094156024_640w.jpg

gamingeek

Top Bottom