• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

India's PM follows twitter of Hindu nationalist praising the killing of a journalist

The said journalist, by the way, was critical of rightwing hindutva parties (BJP and RSS) and Modi

India’s Modi Criticized for Following Twitter Feed Tied to Nasty Post
Narendra Modi, a hugely popular but divisive figure, was following the Twitter feed of a man who wrote the following this week, after a female journalist was shot to death: “One bitch dies a dog’s death all the puppies cry in the same tune.”

Many Indians were bothered by that message, then doubly disturbed to learn that the writer, Nikhil Dadhich, a prolific tweeter who describes himself as a “Hindu nationalist,” was among the 1,779 accounts their prime minister was following.
Mrs. Lankesh was a provocative intellectual who criticized many politicians and religious leaders. The way she was killed — gunned down outside her house by a mysterious assailant — was eerily similar to how several other critics of the Hindu nationalist agenda of the Modi government have been silenced.
His political party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (commonly referred to as the B.J.P.), is frequently accused of operating what detractors call a troll army — a group of bloggers who quickly swarm online anyone seen as critical of the party. Mr. Modi is following some of these people and in doing so, Mr. Krishna, the medical student, said, was acting “like a passive troll.”
Some of the accounts Mr. Modi follows on Twitter have made misogynistic comments, spread anti-Muslim feelings and dangerous rumors, or made remarks that do not always jibe with his message of tolerance. One account he follows suggested dropping an atomic bomb on Pakistan. The same account called a prominent female journalist a prostitute.
In related news, BJP MLA says the journalist would have been alive if she did not write against RSS/BJP
The controversial statements by the BJP MLA, D.N. Jeevaraj, on Gauri Lankesh’s murder, while addressing party workers at Koppa elicited a strong response from various quarters on Thursday.

He had said at the meeting, “Since the Congress government came to power, 11 leaders of the BJP and Hindu groups were murdered in the State. Had Gauri Lankesh condemned the killings and criticised the Siddaramaiah government, don’t you think she would have been alive today?” Further, he remarked had she had not termed the killings “massacre of RSS people”, she would not have been killed.

I'm honestly worried about the fact that Nationalism is on the rise, all over the world.

When you threaten nationalism, it will rise. Especially in places like USA or India. That country, alongside Burma and others simply get heavily overshadowed by the constant middle eastern focus and propaganda by the west. It's pretty bad in India when you take the veil off.

Best wishes.

bionic77

Let's not pretend that India doesn't have a long history of misogynist attitudes.
I wasn't referring to India.

I was making a point that the whole fucking world is moving hard to the right. Can't be a coincidence.

I don't think the alt right cares about India and yet they are moving to the right along with seemingly most of the world.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I was making a point that the whole fucking world is moving hard to the right. Can't be a coincidence.

I don't think the alt right cares about India and yet they are moving to the right along with seemingly most of the world.

The only change in recent years is that it feels like all these attitudes have more or less coalesced into a distinctly identifiable political stance.

snap

Banned
oh man this thread will be fun. the past few india threads had the same few modi supporters come in and spew nonsense defending him. OT: modi is a shitbird of a PM. it really shows how far india has to go to get to just an acceptable level for human rights.

Jeels

His political party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (commonly referred to as the B.J.P.), is frequently accused of operating what detractors call a troll army — a group of bloggers who quickly swarm online anyone seen as critical of the party.

I was wondering where all those shitty GAF posters were coming from.

if you're talking about the US and India it's mostly because of votes of religious conservatives. religious identity is closely tied with ethnic identity which is closed tied with nationalism

there's something about tricking masses of people into thinking that they're being unfairly persecuted that makes them enthusiastic about voting.

being the advocate of minority rights / opportunity / equality gives your opponents ammo to paint you as the oppressor of the majority. and people are dumb enough to fall for it

My family and friends vehemently defend Modi. I despise him completely. And lots of Indian people I've met also like him a lot. Almost every Indian I've met just wants to f*** over non-Hindus in India. Explains why he's still liked in India. Says a lot about my mother country!

wachie

My family and friends vehemently defend Modi. I despise him completely. And lots of Indian people I've met also like him a lot. Almost every Indian I've met just wants to f*** over non-Hindus in India. Explains why he's still liked in India. Says a lot about my mother country!
But all these years Congress was oppressing Hindus. So now all the non-Hindus can go fuck themselves.

/s

Atleast this is what a certain someone has been repeatedly posting. To be honest, this view of thinking is only held by a certain hard-wing BJP/RSS/VHP followers.

But all these years Congress was oppressing Hindus. So now all the non-Hindus can go fuck themselves.

/s

Atleast this is what a certain someone has been repeatedly posting. To be honest, this view of thinking is only held by a certain hard-wing BJP/RSS/VHP followers.

My family in towns just outside Surat, Gujrat, have a huge grudge against Congress. Even my family here. Is it a crappy party with crappy leadership? Absolutely. But worse than BJP? Not by a long shot to my knowledge.

Top Bottom