• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [July] Now Voting - Post 280!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Iwata passing is the worst fucking news today. Life, man. He was 55.

I was really glad to see that my company threw some nice words about Iwata into the ring today as well. Didnt really expect that. But yeah, not a terrifically fun day today.

Anno

Secrets of Grindea entered Early Access.

And bought. Thanks for the heads up!

Also, Team Cherry put put another of their tantalizing .gif teasers for Hollow Knight. Really hope this project is still coming along on schedule, I really want to see the full thing in action.

2HMv25P.gif

epmode

The Grindea guys should reupload that trailer at 60 FPS. Steam plays 60 FPS content and it really improves the look of the demo!

Anno

Just put some time into Grindea and hoooollyy shit it's immediately great. Like right away everything just has a nice bit of polish and flair to it. Frosty and I are going to run this joint before too long. First I need to get a new controller though because the keyboard controls are wrecking my fingers. I was hoping to hold out until the Steam controller before replacing my old broken one, but alas that may not be possible.

Moobabe

The Grindea guys should reupload that trailer at 60 FPS. Steam plays 60 FPS content and it really improves the look of the demo!

Yeah I was telling some friends about the game but the response was that it "looked" kind of generic. They're in the process of downloading the demo but a 60 fps would really sell the animations.

SerTapTap

Yeah I was telling some friends about the game but the response was that it "looked" kind of generic. They're in the process of downloading the demo but a 60 fps would really sell the animations.

I first noticed the Steam player supports 60 FPS from one of Assault Android Cactus' videos. Everyone should be uploading their trailer in 60 FPS now.

epmode

Doesn't support UI scaling of any kind. It's too small for my screen.

RPS posted about the game a few years ago and I tried it then. I was hoping they added some kind of scaling since then but it's still pretty tough to see.

Okay, seriously, Starship Rubicon is the most addictive game I've played since Hands of Fate. If I wasn't on vacation, I would have already put so many hours into this

It's just shines gameplay-wise. Thrusting between bullets and missiles, boosting to outrun lasers and missles, cutting the engine to drift while firing at pursuing enemies...honestly the combat feels as solid and thrilling as Luftrausers IMO. It doesnt have that game's frenetic nature, but the controls are very responsive and it nails that amorphous concept of "game feel". Starship Rubicon is just fun and satisfying to play

But the game doesnt stop there. On top of the rock-solid gameplay foundation, there's a wealth of depth and content. Myriad ships to unlock and customize, each with their own unique starting stats, weapon, and ability. A campaign, stages to replay once unlocked, a hardcore mode, a ship and level editor. NPCs allies that can follow you into battle and provide perks.

The abilities and customization are the elements that matter the most. They let you mold each ship to your playstyle, with skills that range from teleporting and cloaking to unleashing homing missiles and a super-beam. The customization is reminiscent of RE4's inventory system, as you need to fit different shaped modules within your ship's chassis. Extra shields, damage buffs, an auto-targeting laser drone, and much more.

I can't recommend this game enough.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Yep, great game. There is a reason people should listen to me when I shout about stuff :p Pretty sure barely anyone played it.
But yeah, going by the reception of the january thread, I am not surprised your thread isnt taking off either, its one of those games that you dont "get" if you dont play it. Screenshots or even gifs alone dont do it justice.

Phawx

Wow, really? From the perspective and short range dash to the energy weapon and flowing cloak, the footage reminds me of HLD a lot

What's this game like?

What I meant by dissimilar was Animal Gods (at the time I played) doesn't "flow". It's very choppy.

To be fair, I have played an early build of HLD last year at PAX East and they are worlds different in terms of polish.

I agree that it's clone-ish, but the games shouldn't be compared as that's insulting to HLD.

Edit: It's more analogous to a poorly made 2D Zelda. The feel anyway.

Is their something up with the steam beta for Big Pharma? I brought the game earlier, entered my steam beta key that humble gave me and it isn't showing up on my games list. Although steam does say I own it when you go back to the list of most recent acquisitions. It's a bit odd.

Big Pharma |OT| Thread title
Shouldn't be confused for spam. That's a great thread too, nice write up

Yeah I could, but the fun is in that it genuinely looks like spam! That's what would get curious people looking into the thread, anyway. And maybe get me banned =)

Is their something up with the steam beta for Big Pharma? I brought the game earlier, entered my steam beta key that humble gave me and it isn't showing up on my games list. Although steam does say I own it when you go back to the list of most recent acquisitions. It's a bit odd.

It's not out on Steam yet as far as I know, your Steam key just sits there waiting until the game's released. In the meantime you can just install the beta from the file you downloaded.

Moobabe

Guild of Dungeoneering is out and is doing pretty well on Steam - sat in the top sellers currently.

Nothing can touch Rocket League though.

Guys, please help a brother out. I'm trying to remember the name of a game:

* It's not released yet
* It's in Unity 3D
* It's pure black-and-white (no grey) with a really cool dithering model
* It takes place on a ship
* You find skeletons and use a magic watch to view their last moments
* Dialogue is presented in the manner of a silent film with title cards
* You have to figure out who the dead bodies belong to

I think it's "The Blank Blank", where blank blank is the name of the boat. But my proper noun recall ability is totally shot today for some reason. Anybody know what game I'm thinking of?

* It's not released yet
* It's in Unity 3D

I think it's "The Blank Blank", where blank blank is the name of the boat. But my proper noun recall ability is totally shot today for some reason. Anybody know what game I'm thinking of?
Return of the Obra Dinn

There is something that grabs in "walking simulator" games, it may not even have something to do in the world build or the narrative being abstract and subtle but I always end enjoying those, like Dérive that is featured on this month. The graphics helps a lot in these games, being purposely low poly and the soundtrack changing when you find a place creates a strange sense of immersion, even everything not resembling the real world I get sucked into it in a way I find hard on other games.

* It's not released yet
* It's in Unity 3D

The Return of Obra Dinn

Edit: I should have refresh the page

Faabulous

Caves of Qud is out now on early access.

I've played about 2 hours of it, and I must say TOME4 spoiled me a bit. Not that CoQ is bad, its just that it lacks music and the tileset is not as lively as TOME's. That aside the game is awesome, exploring an unfamiliar roguelike is like finding a new book you enjoy a bunch. The way they do artifacts is cool as hell and the setting is just spectacular. I'll probabbly sink a ton of time into this game.

Clouds Below - Free prototype (PC)
G%2B4Q0g.jpg

http://treeoflife.itch.io/clouds-below

Clouds Below is a 3d person adventure platformer. You explore the mountains above the clouds and solve wind based puzzles.

Caves of Qud - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
ZrYHiw0.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

Caves of Qud is a science fantasy roguelike epic steeped in retrofuturism, deep simulation, and swathes of sentient plants. Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through layers of thousand-year-old civilizations. Decide: is it a dying earth, or is it on the verge of rebirth?
Play the role of a mutant indigenous to the salt-spangled dunes and jungles of Qud, or play a pure-strain descendant from one of the few remaining eco-domes—the toxic arboreta of Ekuemekiyye, the Holy City; the ice-sheathed arcology of Ibul; or the crustal mortars of Yawningmoon.

Guild of Dungeoneering - $14.99 (PC, Mac)
d1.png

http://www.guildofdungeoneering.com/

Become the ultimate Dungeon Master as you bribe, entice and coax your heroes through their adventures on a quest to restore your guild to its ultimate glory!
Guild of Dungeoneering is a turn-based dungeon crawler with a twist: instead of controlling the hero you build the dungeon around him. Using cards drawn from your Guild decks, you lay down rooms, monsters, traps and of course loot! Meanwhile your hero is making his own decisions on where to go and what to fight. But will he be strong enough to take on the dungeon's overlord? In between dungeon runs you manage your Guild, building new rooms to attract new classes of adventurer and to expand your decks of cards with more powerful items and events.

Luckslinger - $12.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
luckactivate.png

http://duckbridge.nl/

In Luckslinger, luck is measurable, collectable and usable whenever you please.
On one half it’s inspired by the unrealistically fast gunslingers, the dark gritty humor and the greed driven anti-heroes of the spaghetti western classics.
On the other half it’s inspired by vinyl digging, graffiti spraying, rhyming and the slow drums and jazzy samples of hip hop culture and sound.

Come on, guys, I'm on vacation and I'm still the most active poster here.

Interstellaria - $9.99 (PC, Mac, Linux)
SiFMlPN.jpg

http://coldricegames.com/interstellar/

Interstellaria is a real time space-exploration sim and crew management game.
Command a fleet of vessels wandering the galaxy for adventure and profit! You’ll be forced to make tough decisions as you face hostile starships, crippling space anomalies, and intriguing aliens. When your fleet faces certain doom, should you direct your crew to make critical repairs, or report to their stations and boost your fleet?

gambrinous

Neo Member
Guild of Dungeoneering is out and is doing pretty well on Steam - sat in the top sellers currently.

Nothing can touch Rocket League though.

Thanks guys. Been an exciting few days for me! We sat in the top 10 for about the first day, peaking at #6. We're still in the top 20 3 days later. Here we are on steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/317820/

I'm also doing an AMA in r/gamedev if anyone's interested. Full of info already:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/3dj4ta/our_little_game_hit_top_10_sellers_list_on_steam/

The latest humble weekly bundle has Full Bore in it for as little as a single dollar, well worth checking out. The game was somewhat popular when it was first released in this thread (and for good reason too, it is pretty fab.)

The latest humble weekly bundle has Full Bore in it for as little as a single dollar, well worth checking out. The game was somewhat popular when it was first released in this thread (and for good reason too, it is pretty fab.)

The movement systems in that game always rubbed me the wrong way and I never could get into it. I still feel bad for not giving it a fair shot though.

Toma

The movement systems in that game always rubbed me the wrong way and I never could get into it. I still feel bad for not giving it a fair shot though.

The movement takes some getting used to, but its a puzzle game, not an action platformer and the game is so, so good. Easily one of my favourite games in the past few years.

Hue - ????
CKNKfJHXAAABuSA.png

http://www.huethegame.com/

A stark puzzle platformer where you shift the hue of the world, creating rifts when colours collide.

Peqoud - Free (PC, Mac)
tumblr_ndlqraG7gK1qe1v78o1_1280.gif

http://bearmancer.itch.io/pequod

A procedurally generated action game about a whale named Mobias trying to survive the onslaught of an obsessive captain named Ahab. Obtain items and add ons that make your whale more powerful. Fight through the waves of enemy ships, subs and airships until you are able to face Ahab's ship the Pequod.

Chargeshot - PC
2.gif

http://www.cowboycolor.com/

Annually, from across dozens of sectors, men, girblons, women, and children tune in to their local galactic networks stations to view the most anticipated event of the year: “ChargeShot”. 12 bounty hunters from across the known universe compete for glory and the handsome reward of 2,000,001 credits. In ChargeShot, each player is armed with a Pulsar Cannon whose blasts bounce off walls and instantly kill whatever they touch, an Energy Shield which can reflect Pulsar blasts, and a standard issue jetpack for traversing the battleground. In high speed combat, players test their reflexes against up to 3 other friends (or enemies, as the case may be by the end of the night.)

The Endless Night - ????
CKMOCK-UEAErZ8d.png

https://ghostlygurustudios.wordpress.com/portfolio/the-endless-night-dev-blog/

The Endless Night is a 2d Adventure game that takes place “somewhere” out in a fictional version of the southwestern/western United States. The story line of the game revolves around a hitchhiker who has set out on a road trip in search of himself and the American dream..

Wishmere - PC
Safford3.gif

http://www.indiedb.com/games/wishmere

The world is being overrun with Doubt’s enslaved forces. The King of Dreams now intervenes– to combat his ancient rival, he imbues 6 teenagers with the power of Supercharged Hope to be his fabled warriors: the Wishmere! Wishmere is a 2D beat’em up action game that incorporates speed racing elements and intense boss battles. Choose from 6 characters, to take on the forces of Doubt!

5-Minute Dungeon - PC, Android
l1lEvOY.png

http://www.indiedb.com/games/5-minute-dungeon
Equip weapon and helmet, enter randomly generated dungeons, find the treasure rooms, defeat the bosses

Untitled game - ????
ezgif-1938137397.gif

https://twitter.com/TomBoogaart

"A small make your own story thing"

Previously Mentioned

Tala

forma.8

Megasphere

Do Not Cross

Tikotep Adventure

Flotsam

Anyone else know that BLEED 2 was in development? Can't recall it ever being mentioned here

Bleed 2 - ????
2-2_newO.gif

http://www.bootdiskrevolution.com/category/bleed-2/

Better graphics, better weapons, better gameplay, and more...
Bleed 2 picks up about a week after the events of the first game. Wryn has ushered in a new age of heroes, and the ones she defeated are already a distant memory. However, since she defeated the greatest heroes of all time… she’s the only hero the world has left.

Moobabe

I was lucky enough this weekend to get offered some hands on experience working PR for a pretty big music festival in the UK.

Turns out doing PR is about being really nice to people, telling people how great they are and drinking a lot of alcohol.

Still - an amazing experience, will look nice on the old CV as well. I've got some screenshot saturday stuff and impressions to post in here when I get back, still a couple of hours on the train left.

What have you guys been playing this weekend? Come on, fill me in!

Anyone else know that BLEED 2 was in development? Can't recall it ever being mentioned here

Bleed 2 - ????

It surely wasn't mentined here

I was lucky enough this weekend to get offered some hands on experience working PR for a pretty big music festival in the UK.

Turns out doing PR is about being really nice to people, telling people how great they are and drinking a lot of alcohol.

Still - an amazing experience, will look nice on the old CV as well. I've got some screenshot saturday stuff and impressions to post in here when I get back, still a couple of hours on the train left.

I didn't played many games this weekend but I spent some time with Secrets of Grindea and Super Win the Game. About SoG, what amazing game so far, it's in early access right now but the gameplay mechanics are mostly already in the game (still missing some skills, optional stuff and other areas) and I can say it's going to be an amazing game once it's done, the Arcade mode is a great plus to the game, it's kinda like a roguelike-like-like-like where you create a random character and start advancing through randomized floors trying to reach as far as you can to get a good score and unlock more npc's and in the Arcade's hub.

Super Win the Game is the sequel to You Have to Win the Game, while the previous one was heavily inspered by Amiga games (I think, never owned an Amiga :p) this one draws inspiration from Zelda 2 and other 8bit console platformers, the game now has an overworld map that you can explore at your pace and as the previous game tge difficult and the secrets still are present in the sequel.

Bossti

Neo Member
We're right now on Steam, trying to get our game greenlit ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=479033306 ).

I have to say though, getting on Steam is - at least for us - way harder than getting on PS4 etc. I guess the problem is, that as a newcomer indie team we have a hard time getting a solid community together. It will build over time and we want multiplayer to be cross platform so people are always going to find other people to play with. But it's though.

tim.mbp

Pequod is a blast. Only made it chapter 3 so far. Stupid laser beams.

Edit: Quickly resized and cropped the Pequod banner for Steam Grid View. I think it's the right size, 460x215.

YgGlUPg.png

Toma

We're right now on Steam, trying to get our game greenlit ( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=479033306 ).

I have to say though, getting on Steam is - at least for us - way harder than getting on PS4 etc. I guess the problem is, that as a newcomer indie team we have a hard time getting a solid community together. It will build over time and we want multiplayer to be cross platform so people are always going to find other people to play with. But it's though.

Looks cute, might check it out down the line.

The MGS5 hype is getting to me... doing nothing but replaying Peace Walker lately. Sorry Indies!

Top Bottom