• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [July] Now Voting - Post 280!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The funny thing is, I would totally agree with you on the repetition thing, but the "100 days mechanic" totally takes my mind off of it.

I don't think, "Ugh I have to do this again?", I think "Crap I only have 99 more times to do this?"

I gotta agree that the 100 day limit is improving the game by a lot, especially regarding tension and the player mindset, but still.. I mean there are a few rooms that I probably see 50% of all playthroughs in each area. Its fun, but the game definitely would benefit from more variety/different room setups for every layout.

Oddly enough I kept getting frame drops in The Swindle and eventually had to refund it. Between it and Cradle (another refund due to performance drops) steam are gonna start thinking I am abusing the service.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oddly enough I kept getting frame drops in The Swindle and eventually had to refund it. Between it and Cradle (another refund due to performance drops) steam are gonna start thinking I am abusing the service.

I went PS4 with Swindle, so much nicer to not worry about that stuff.

Phawx

Can you give your specs real quick? Just curious

Can you give your specs real quick? Just curious

Ummm....an i3 3.10GHz processor, 4GB RAM and a GT520 graphics card. Not terribly computer literate so if you are interested in any more specific details you will need to tell me how to find them out I'm afraid.

AniMa - Free (PC, Mac, Linux)
AniMa.gif

http://mrtedders.itch.io/anima

AniMa is a dark, sinister and very stylish puzzle platforming adventure in which you must possess being and sacrifice them to the gods in order to earn back your life.

Moobabe

Voting

Crest

I didn't play this, but Alex did:

This is what makes Crest so refreshing in the face of even the elder statesmen of the genre, of whose revisionist assessment can paint them merely as languid RTSs wrapped in the shroud of religious artifices. Crest's simplicity is one of its strengths. Whether a player inhabits the role of some sort of divine spirit or as a faceless entity curating a tribe's collective evolutionary will, it remains a fascinating analysis of religion within a society.

Duck Game

One of only two games I have ever refunded on Steam. It's good, don't get me wrong, frantic and fun but having just changed ISP my internet was awful and crippled any enjoyment I might have had otherwise (plus I couldn't get any of my friends to get it.)

Endless Legend

I want to love this. I love Amplitude, I love the music, the art and the ideas but these kinds of games (be it Civ, Endless Space or, now, Endless Legend) just don't click with me at all. I recognise how good it is though.

Her Story

Game of the month, probably up there in my GOTY reckoning as well. It's a game with an extremely simple interface where you browse through a collection of clips of a woman's questioning in a police department. You search for clips by typing in words that stand out to you while you watch - murder, weapon, suicide - and clips with those words in will crop up. It spawned a pretty hefty spoiler thread on GAF and attracted a lot of mainstream attention.

Into the Light

Pretty janky 3d platforming with some neat ideas - it's early though, so I'm hoping this improves.

The Masterplan

This is good. Top down heist planning shenanigans that demonstrated to me that I have zero capacity to do it successfully. Civilians charging out into the street to phone the police, shop keepers shooting me at the drop of a hat and getting caught non stop by CCTV. It's brilliant nonsense.

Titan Souls

Full disclosure: I only played the demo of this. It's interesting enough, but it didn't grab me sufficiently to make me even consider a full purchase. It looks nice, animates well and has a nice atmosphere to it - but I don't see how you stretch it out to a full game.

Highly Recommended

Her Story

Recommended

Crest
Duck Game
Endless Legend
The Masterplan

Maybe?

Into the Light
Titan Souls

Toma

That F2P magic game on Steam will be my doom. I will grind this game to death to get all cards >_>

Released yesterday night, play time 6 hours so far. ~_~

Edit: And its good too! Finally full deck building, cards buyable ingame without real currency, supposed to replace the Planeswalker game and getting regular card updates.

Hey Phawx, I noticed you are the only friend I have on steam that owns that Victor Vran game. How did that end up? I like my 'hack, kill, loot, repeat' games so I am vaguely interested especially since the devs said something about slapping in local coop when they get the chance.

That F2P magic game on Steam will be my doom. I will grind this game to death to get all cards >_>

Released yesterday night, play time 6 hours so far. ~_~

Edit: And its good too! Finally full deck building, cards buyable ingame without real currency, supposed to replace the Planeswalker game and getting regular card updates.

That's cool. Glad to hear the PC version of that game at least is solid. I put some time into the iOS version of it but eventually bounced off due to it being oddly system hoggy and prone to just freezing on animations for a time. Also didn't help that I am frankly terrible at Magic and I couldn't beat the final boss of the first chapter (a death giant or some creature like that).

Toma

Hey Phawx, I noticed you are the only friend I have on steam that owns that Victor Vran game. How did that end up? I like my 'hack, kill, loot, repeat' games so I am vaguely interested especially since the devs said something about slapping in local coop when they get the chance.

That's cool. Glad to hear the PC version of that game at least is solid. I put some time into the iOS version of it but eventually bounced off due to it being oddly system hoggy and prone to just freezing on animations for a time. Also didn't help that I am frankly terrible at Magic and I couldn't beat the final boss of the first chapter (a death giant or some creature like that).

There are some connection issues from time to time and others complain about not enough cards, no chat etcetc, but I actually dont mind any of this :p Its the core concept game I wanted for years now. Let me grind a bit every day to buy cards with ingame currency and finish my card collection, perfect.

SerTapTap

I went PS4 with Swindle, so much nicer to not worry about that stuff.

Been requesting PS4 review codes over PC lately for this reason, especially since Win 10 seems a bit rocky to start with. And a lot of stuff I review is Japanese which...doesn't always get a great PC port

I'm throwing my imaginary money on the screen right now. I was worried this game could never get a release because it didn't get updates the last time I checked it.

I hadn't seen him post about it on twitter in months, I was pretty worried it wasn't happening, then this out of no where. I'm so ready

Love that style. I'm awful at racing and even worse at drifting though

Phawx

I haven't played it in a few months, but what I did play was pretty cool. It didn't feel "all" there. Hard to put my finger on it; It has all of the earmarks of isometric looty mcloot games yet it quickly lost steam in the fun-department.

I'll give it another go and see how it turns out.

Voting:

1.) The Swindle
2.) Feist
3.) Antharion

(haven't played that much this month.)

I haven't played it in a few months, but what I did play was pretty cool. It didn't feel "all" there. Hard to put my finger on it; It has all of the earmarks of isometric looty mcloot games yet it quickly lost steam in the fun-department.

I'll give it another go and see how it turns out.

Voting:

1.) The Swindle
2.) Feist
3.) Antharion

(haven't played that much this month.)
Those games will be up for voting next month (at least Swindle & Feist, not sure about Antharion). Games for this month are listed in the OP

Voting
  • Antumbra
  • Dérive
  • Game Over
  • There is no Game
  • Void Vikings

Not the most engaging month to me, I wasn't interested in many of the games so I just dived in my backlog.

Secrets of Grindea - $14.99 (Win)
ss_4860cec6489ca63b905e5248cecafd84fc364574.jpg

http://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/pre-order

Secrets of Grindea is an old-school Action RPG with co-op support for up to 4 players. It is a tribute to and sometimes a parody of the old SNES games so many of us grew up with and loved! Journey through fantastical lands and battle tons of different enemies and bosses in your quest for truth, friendship and, above all, finding the world's rarest treasures!

Phawx

Those games will be up for voting next month (at least Swindle & Feist, not sure about Antharion). Games for this month are listed in the OP

Oh. Well then. I didn't play much last month. :(

IN OTHER NEWS!

My Quick Look of Reign of Bullets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQM1w3sikwg

header.jpg

Quick Impressions: Imagine if you took the fun bits of Diablo and shoved them into a SHMUP. That is Reign of Bullets. The twist is that gun modifiers that you receive during the level can't be used until you go back to your hanger. Plus you can affix any gun in any placement you want AND also modify the gun.

For example, let's say you find an EPIC class flamethrower and you want to mount that so that it aims SouthEast. Okay now you are shooting flames diagonally downward towards the ground enemies. But let's say you'd like to also use your flamethrower horizontal with you ship? No problem, weapons have sockets (the better the weapon, the more sockets) so you can just attach the Splitter mod on to the weapon and voila, you have a dual spraying flamethrower.

U9F1okv.gif

There are bunch of difficulty levels and they get insanely hard. The reason you'd want to play on harder levels is multifaceted.

1. You're upgraded weapons completely obliterate current difficulty level stuff, so it needs to be more challenging.
  2. The higher the difficulty, the greater your luck% increases so that you can get better weapons.

I love shmups and this specific take on the genre is extremely refreshing. Additionally, the visuals are chock full of little details and layered parallax goodness.

Highly Recommended.

Toma

I might or might not have already played Magic Duels for more than any other game this month (~20 hours).

SerTapTap

I usually hate online multiplayer but Duck Game is really fun, even if I'm super bad at it. Netcode is impossibly good

Moobabe

Man some threads full of utter fuckery over the past week or so.

The RPG thread and DA:I vs Witcher 3 thread are messing me up. I'm all for opinions and all but some people just have horrendous taste in games :(

Makes me even more sad when these people are all "indie games suck" "retro graphics lol "2expensive 4 me" and then proceed to tell me why Bethesda are geniuses at creating RPGs and how DA:I is a staggering achievement.

At least I have you guys!

Man some threads full of utter fuckery over the past week or so.

The RPG thread and DA:I vs Witcher 3 thread are messing me up. I'm all for opinions and all but some people just have horrendous taste in games :(

Makes me even more sad when these people are all "indie games suck" "retro graphics lol "2expensive 4 me" and then proceed to tell me why Bethesda are geniuses at creating RPGs and how DA:I is a staggering achievement.

At least I have you guys!
I take it no one is mentioning stuff like NEO Scavenger and Serpent in the Staglands

Dascu

Random thought of the day: One day I'm gonna do a remake of Malebolgia based on The House on the Borderlands. Idea would be for a main hub area as an elegant mansion, while the exteriors are the gigantic and desolate halls of the devil's palace. Just putting this here so that if this crazy idea ever realizes, you can say to yourselves in twenty years "Yeah I read that in Indie Games 2015 [July] thread".

Might as well divulge some more of my thoughts. All terribly ambitious and it's not like Malebolgia set anyone's world on fire. But what the heck. Next game is synthwave action/adventure in a dark city. Afterwards that Die Hard-ish survival horror game I've mentioned before in one of these threads. Then grand scale epic saga action game, cross between my favourite devs Treasure x Yasumi Matsuno. Then Return to Palace Malebolgia. And then I'm done.

Moobabe

Oh that was more of a rhetorical question :p

But yeah, I totally understand the frustration of seeing those kinds of posts

Like I started this thread yesterday
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1087611
And shit drive-by posts like this just make me shake my head

Yeah I just saw it - I don't know - the quality of discussion sometimes is just so poor. Take the RPG renaissance thread for example - I have no problem with people enjoying Skyrim, Oblivion or Fallout 3 - I own and have completed all three and had a really good time. I could also wax lyrical about some of the things they do wrong, some of the areas they lack in etc

So when someone posts a reasonable critique of Bethesda's games and then gets a flurry of

But I like it so meh

Where does that get us? The same way I don't mind that people don't like indie games - I know these people are just narrow minded - but the constant shit posting is so tiresome.

Random thought of the day: One day I'm gonna do a remake of Malebolgia based on The House on the Borderlands. Idea would be for a main hub area as an elegant mansion, while the exteriors are the gigantic and desolate halls of the devil's palace. Just putting this here so that if this crazy idea ever realizes, you can say to yourselves in twenty years "Yeah I read that in Indie Games 2015 [July] thread".

Might as well divulge some more of my thoughts. All terribly ambitious and it's not like Malebolgia set anyone's world on fire. But what the heck. Next game is synthwave action/adventure in a dark city. Afterwards that Die Hard-ish survival horror game I've mentioned before in one of these threads. Then grand scale epic saga action game, cross between my favourite devs Treasure x Yasumi Matsuno. Then Return to Palace Malebolgia. And then I'm done.
What about the SoTC-inspired game?

titch

On double checking the list i have already played more than 4 games!!!!

Good

Barony - £4.99 (WIN/MAC/STEAM)
Ted by Dawn - £1.59 (WIN)
Tomb of Tyrants - £5.59 (WIN/MAC/STEAM)
You Must Build A Boat - £3.99 (WIN/MAC/STEAM)

Ok

Incandescent

All worth looking into IMO - i was lucky to pick them up in various bundles

Still hoping to get some new indie steam games posted!!!

Wow SuperHOT has really come a ways, loving the
weapon grab midair, dat baseball bat leg shatter too o_o

Seems like a perfect shooter for VR what with the incremental movement, thus cutting down on motion sickness. I know Oculus was demoing an earlier build of it a ways back at a trade show. Looking forward to it.

Nabs

Anyone interested in trying indie fighting game Rising Thunder by Radiant Entertainment (Stone Hearth/GGPO). It's designed to be easy to pick up with all special moves mapped to buttons rather than complicated button combos. I have a key to give away, so either let me know here or PM me and I'll send it your way.

Anyone interested in trying indie fighting game Rising Thunder by Radiant Entertainment (Stone Hearth/GGPO). It's designed to be easy to pick up with all special moves mapped to buttons rather than complicated button combos. I have a key to give away, so either let me know here or PM me and I'll send it your way.

If that's okay,I would love that key. As someone who finds complex moves in fighting games a bit of a bane sometimes been very interested in rising thunder for a bit.

Top Bottom