• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indie Games [May] Now Voting - Post 573!"

Oh, hello everyone. This is probably my first time jumping into this thread. I was always marginally interested in indie games, but the one I just played just pulled me into the whole scene completely. So let me share~ (I hope I'm doing this right...)

Undertale - Currently a free demo, lasts about 30 min. long.

A quirky, experimental RPG with interesting action-command battle mechanics that can make battles entertaining without fighting. The characters and scenario also have a very Earthbound-like charm to them.

I can't remember the last time I connected with a game character as much as I did Toriel, or personally hate a character as much as
Flowie
. This game spoke out to the child in me, as well as the genre-savvy RPG gamer in me, all at the same time. It basically covered everything I liked about Earthbound, which is incredible considering it was only 30 minutes.

I played the Undertale demo yesterday and ended up liking it much more than when I started. The starting part, while I understand trying to drive a point home, was a little excessive with its (literal) hand-holding. That said, holy endearing characterization, Batman. In like 10 minutes of screen time, too.

Ending spoilers, absolutely do not read unless you've finished it:
I know it's possible from a thread about the game, but much as I tried and retried, I couldn't manage to save Toriel. The first time I tried talking to her and sparing her, but ended up killing her since your last blow depletes a huge chunk of her health. Fair enough. Armed with this knowledge (and surprised that the game acknowledged my second try), I tried everything during my second try, from talking again, to sparing, to fleeing, to depleting her health slowly and sparing every step, to not letting my health fall below critical (since that's when she stops actually trying to hit you, and it might affect your last attack as well). No dice. I tried a couple more times, and gave up. Is it because my playthrough wasn't 100% pacifist? The game doesn't hint to that effect and it really makes no logical sense, but it's the only thing I can think of.

NaissanceE looks terrifying and scary haha. Voted!

Interested in Gorogoa; haven't had a chance to check out the other suggestions on the page just yet.

Gorogoa has a free, incredible "demo" (quoting the term because it felt more substantial and complete than many other full games). It's hands down one of the most amazing indie games I've played, absolutely do not miss it.

Hi guys! Just wanted to say that we just put last week our game for voting on greenlight and for crowdfunding on indiegogo.
Just wanted your opinion about it guys.
Its called Fleish & Cherry in Crazy Hotel, and its an adventure game themed on a black and white cartoon world in the 1930's. In that world, Fleish the Fox, star of famous cartoon shorts, has been kidnapped by the villian, Mr Mintz. Cherry, his girlfriend, its this time the one who has to muster all her courage to save Fleish from the top of a crazy hotel.
It mixes graphic adventure dialog system and action adventure puzzles like in Zelda or Little Big Adventure, adopting an isometric view.
Here is some images:
steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_147168486_preview.png

steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_147168486_preview-2.png

steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_147168486_preview-1.png

Aspecto-Visual.gif

And heres is the gameplay trailer:
http://youtu.be/1Gv-rSnZV6U

Hope you like it and any opinion is appreciated. And you can ask me anything about it if you want. :)

You can also vote in steam Greenlight for it:
QKZ2Rpi.png

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=147168486

Theres also more much info about the game and music in our indiegogo page:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fleish-cherry-in-crazy-hotel

TrickRoom

I played the Undertale demo yesterday and ended up liking it much more than when I started. The starting part, while I understand trying to drive a point home, was a little excessive with its (literal) hand-holding. That said, holy endearing characterization, Batman. In like 10 minutes of screen time, too.

Ending spoilers, absolutely do not read unless you've finished it:
I know it's possible from a thread about the game, but much as I tried and retried, I couldn't manage to save Toriel. The first time I tried talking to her and sparing her, but ended up killing her since your last blow depletes a huge chunk of her health. Fair enough. Armed with this knowledge (and surprised that the game acknowledged my second try), I tried everything during my second try, from talking again, to sparing, to fleeing, to depleting her health slowly and sparing every step, to not letting my health fall below critical (since that's when she stops actually trying to hit you, and it might affect your last attack as well). No dice. I tried a couple more times, and gave up. Is it because my playthrough wasn't 100% pacifist? The game doesn't hint to that effect and it really makes no logical sense, but it's the only thing I can think of.

It's actually much simpler than you think:
Don't do anything else, except continually SPARE her. Her text changes slightly each time, and eventually you'll win her over.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Don't do anything else, except continually SPARE her. Her text changes slightly each time, and eventually you'll win her over.

/slaps hand across the forehead

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
QKZ2Rpi.png

Loving the old black and white cartoon vibe, upvoted!

New Darkwood Pre-Alpha gameplay trailer for their Indiegogo campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjnDKBLZbc

I had a shortness of breath there, absolutely suffocating. They still have 50% funding to go though :(

GAH!
Thanks a lot, I'll try that right away.

Edit: Aaand... done, thanks. Also, dear god, that battle music. Amazing.
In fact, the game/demo itself felt incredibly irregular, even more so than any other indie game I've played.
The main character's sprite and the ruins' graphics (except for the balcony) are crude and rather charmless, almost as if they were placeholders, while Toriel and her house are just perfect. I understand that might be the point, to make Toriel and her house beautiful, charming and adorable, but it's simply too jarring, it breaks immersion.
I loved the battle system though, and see a lot of potential in a full-fledged RPG using this style. Let's see where it goes.

New Darkwood Pre-Alpha gameplay trailer for their Indiegogo campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSjnDKBLZbc

Very nice. I really, really miss being pressured/scared by a videogame. The last one was the REmake, over a decade ago!

zkylon

zkylewd
Hi guys! Just wanted to say that we just put last week our game for voting on greenlight and for crowdfunding on indiegogo.
Just wanted your opinion about it guys.
Its called Fleish & Cherry in Crazy Hotel, and its an adventure game themed on a black and white cartoon world in the 1930's. In that world, Fleish the Fox, star of famous cartoon shorts, has been kidnapped by the villian, Mr Mintz. Cherry, his girlfriend, its this time the one who has to muster all her courage to save Fleish from the top of a crazy hotel.
It mixes graphic adventure dialog system and action adventure puzzles like in Zelda or Little Big Adventure, adopting an isometric view.
Here is some images:

Aspecto-Visual.gif

And heres is the gameplay trailer:
http://youtu.be/1Gv-rSnZV6U

Hope you like it and any opinion is appreciated. And you can ask me anything about it if you want. :)

QKZ2Rpi.png

looks fantastic, gave it a vote

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I loved the battle system though, and see a lot of potential in a full-fledged RPG using this style. Let's see where it goes.

Yeah, found the battle system to be highly refreshing as well.

Toma

Get ready for Gunpoint ($9, demo released).

Oh god, the name is so generic that I didnt even notice just now that it was a game I am totally hyped for. Thanks for linking, will try and report back.

Hofmann

Just a few less mainstream games I played lately.

Labirynths - Strangely fascinating and hypnotizing experimental collage of still images, classical music, audio commentary and interactive elements. Composed of constantly changing rules, without conventional win-lose conditions – only certainty is the beginning and the end, time alters everything in between. It's from 2011, but I'm quite sure nobody mentioned it here before.

Reset - Twine simulation of extreme D/s relationship in cyber-human future.

_____ - Being closed in a small room, helpless in face of unavoidable events, it contains an exceptional
dying
sequence.

Toma

Get ready for Gunpoint ($9, demo released).

Oh god, the name is so generic that I didnt even notice just now that it was a game I am totally hyped for. Thanks for linking, will try and report back.

Oh god, the demo was so good. It felt sooooo good. I think I'll even bite at the 27$ preorder tier.

Toma

I've beaten the gunpoint demo, these are my times if anyone feels like competing :
bgeyiar.png

Shortest Indie demo ever? ;p (2:05minutes)

I've been playing the Rogue Legacy demo and can't wait for the full version to be released. The traits are very fun, like being able to only see in monochromatic or having I.B.S.

Raxum

I've been playing the Rogue Legacy demo and can't wait for the full version to be released. The traits are very fun, like being able to only see in monochromatic or having I.B.S.

I've actually spent far too much time in this game for a demo. I think I've got about 4-5 hours in so far, and I've beaten the end of demo boss already (beat him at about 2~ hours). Still enjoy playing it though, always a challenge, and it is, as the devs said, pretty over-the-top hard. Some of the enemies aren't forgiving at all. You step into the room and you can't leave without being damaged at all unless you run straight back out the door you came in. It's like playing a rogue-like bullet-hell game or something. The special versions of the base enemies just add that extra challenge. Love the upgrade system and everything about the game so far. Sometimes I don't feel like I swing fast enough though, but that could just be a matter of getting used to the timing.

All in all, loving Rogue Legacy, can't wait for the full version. Already pre-ordered it.

Nillansan

Out of the listed games, I have only played Monaco so far. I really want to check out TowerClimb and Risk of Rain.

I also can't wait to dive into Fez, I just need to clear a few backlog entries first.

I should have a list ready by Friday.

Toma

Ah, right. Still haven't tried Rogue Legacy yet.

Noogy

Sadly been too busy this month to play anything but the Rogue Legacy demo, which I adored. I'll try to squeeze in some time for more games tomorrow.

Enjoyed the Gunpoint demo, but man I can see that game running away from me the minute it starts to get more complex with its layouts. My mind was already getting boggled by some of the most simple stealth puzzles. I'm just not really a plan ahead kinda guy.

Also need to get my head in the game with playing some of the op games. It would be a pity if I forget to vote this month.

Toma

Enjoyed the Gunpoint demo, but man I can see that game running away from me the minute it starts to get more complex with its layouts. My mind was already getting boggled by some of the most simple stealth puzzles. I'm just not really a plan ahead kinda guy.

Also need to get my head in the game with playing some of the op games. It would be a pity if I forget to vote this month.

In addition to what the other guys voted for on page 12, these were the games that I was expecting to see on this months voting list:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58119788&postcount=488

Just in case you need some help deciding what to play/check out.

I've actually spent far too much time in this game for a demo. [...]
All in all, loving Rogue Legacy, can't wait for the full version. Already pre-ordered it.

Sadly been too busy this month to play anything but the Rogue Legacy demo, which I adored. I'll try to squeeze in some time for more games tomorrow.

Yep, the Rogue Legacy was one of the most fun things I've played the entire month. I also beat the boss, which took maybe one hour, and yep, played a bit more even though I knew progress wouldn't carry over to the full game. They nailed the roguelike random maps, tight castlevania-like action and a lot more things.

Ah, right. Still haven't tried Rogue Legacy yet.

Absolutely do so. I wasn't too sold by the trailer, and at first I didn't seem to progress much (hint: buy equipment as soon as you can, it gives a lot of stats and isn't lost on death), but once everything clicked, oh boy, so addicting.

Toma

Yep, the Rogue Legacy was one of the most fun things I've played the entire month. I also beat the boss, which took maybe one hour, and yep, played a bit more even though I knew progress wouldn't carry over to the full game. They nailed the roguelike random maps, tight castlevania-like action and a lot more things.

Absolutely do so. I wasn't too sold by the trailer, and at first I didn't seem to progress much (hint: buy equipment as soon as you can, it gives a lot of stats and isn't lost on death), but once everything clicked, oh boy, so addicting.
Its going to be in the june thread, so I might postpone checking it out until next month. Havent started writing up the june thread yet, so I'll be busy enough in the next few days.

I've had my eye on this since I heard about the IGF nominations. The map screen definitely looks like it will be scratching an itch for me! Thursday can't come soon enough.

---

Also, I dabbled in the Rogue Legacy demo for a good 30 minutes. I really dig it, but I didn't want to play the demo too much as I'd rather put more time into the full game. Again, I like what I'm seeing with some of the larger explored map screenshots. Love me some metroidvania influenced design! Upvoted on Greenlight and looking forward to whenever they can release it.

Hofmann

• Katabasis - Sometimes simply walking is enough to create a tension and a sense of anxiety.
  • Kairo - Incredible mood with puzzles structured into the game's narrative.
  • 18 Cadence - Complex and rich in details interactive representation of ageing. Definitely my favourite game this month.
  • Remembering - Truly minimalistic aural experience, using only the necessary means to create simple yet enchanting world.
  • Memory of a Broken Dimension - As a kids we had been playing this game in some unknown places, usually in a forest, where you close your eyes and whirl around to the point of falling – MOABD is the terrifying sensation after opening your eyes.
  • Souvenir - Surreal trip through someone else memories. Don't know if it's been done intentionally, but I love the sometimes broken jump/stick mechanics – it adds even more of this lost kind of feeling to the experience.

Haven't bought FEZ and 7 Grand Steps yet, but I've got a feeling I might like them to the point of putting them on the list. Gonna check them out next month for sure.

Toma

• Katabasis - Sometimes simply walking is enough to create a tension and a sense of anxiety.
  • Kairo - Incredible mood with puzzles structured into the game's narrative.
  • 18 Cadence - Complex and rich in details interactive representation of ageing. Definitely my favourite game this month.
  • Remembering - Truly minimalistic aural experience, using only the necessary means to create simple yet enchanting world.
  • Memory of a Broken Dimension - As a kids we had been playing this game in some unknown places, usually in a forest, where you close your eyes and whirl around to the point of falling – MOABD is the terrifying sensation after opening your eyes.
  • Souvenir - Surreal trip through someone else memories. Don't know if it's been done intentionally, but I love the sometimes broken jump/stick mechanics – it adds even more of this lost kind of feeling to the experience.

Haven't bought FEZ and 7 Grand Steps yet, but I've got a feeling I might like them to the point of putting them on the list. Gonna check them out next month for sure.

Is that your first voting list that basically ONLY contains artsy games? This truly was a Hofmonth. :p

Hofmann

Is that your first voting list that basically ONLY contains artsy games? This truly was a Hofmonth. :p

Lol. Actually tried a lot of games this month, but just couldn't get in to the right mood to play more gamey ones to judge them fairly, and this comes from a guy who put more than hundred hours in Borderlands 2:D

Toma

I also need to update some game impressions in the program. Played a few more games in the past month.

Ug, might have to buy Gunpoint now. I quite thoroughly enjoyed how brazen they were at the end of the demo. Anyway, you know what time it is....

Voting Time

1. Monaco
Great fun co-op madness that converts hardenened stealth mechanics into arcadey mania

2. Memory of a Broken Dimension
Virtutally impossible to describe well but it is a kinda puzzle exporation game set in a world built out of all the corrupted codes from every other game. Basically Deep Web the game.

3. La-Mulana
Classic really. Unforgiving platformer that demands perfect planning and execution with every step.

4. 7 Grand Steps
Cool board game / personal family story generator.

5. Fez
What starts out as a puzzle platformer grows into this deep enigma of a world.

6. Out there somewhere
I'm not great at it, but tight controls and a fairly enjoyable mechanic make this a joy to play.

7.Risk of Rain
Still a little rust, but with heaps of potential.

Toma

I guess its about time to start preparing the next thread. Lets see how long it'll take this time :p

Durante

As requested, a reminder about 99 spirits for the next thread.

Which also makes me notice that I haven't been paying enough attention to this series of threads. And that despite you sporting that awesome SpaceChem avatar!

Toma

ss11yumy.png

Which also makes me notice that I haven't been paying enough attention to this series of threads. And that despite you sporting that awesome SpaceChem avatar!

Thanks :) Sorry I needed to get you in here instead of posting myself, but people should really post every interesting Indie game that releases in here. The OP also always contains the games that we considered the best each month, so I recommend checking out the voting part in every thread. (Check out Factorio if you liked SpaceChem!)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527028

It would be beyond awesome to have you as a regular here, sir. SpaceChem is kind of an institution over here, as is Factorio, a game with several things in common (and a lot of differences) with it and one of my latest addictions.

Speaking of avatars, I installed Planescape Torment last weekend (got it on GoG a few months back), plus all high-res and restoration mods. I even got to play a bit of it and was really engrossed; I knew it's considered one of the games with the best story of all times, but I wasn't expecting the writing to be so damn good, sparkling, descriptive, charismatic and funny from the start. It felt less like playing a game and more like reading a really good novel. I'm really looking to spend more time with it (been wanting to play it for years)... as well as Dust An Elysian Tail, Super House of Dead Ninjas (Steam version), Witcher 2 and a few others I got/installed during the last couple of days. So many games...

Speaking of WHICH, HIB8 just got released...

The Yawhg is now up on greenlight. My review will be up tomorrow, but let me say this: If you have any friends to play this with locally or stream to, buy it now. It's $5 for one more day.

What is it about? it's not very clear from the website. Look really interesting and up my alley but I'm turned off by the MP, why/how there's mp in this?

EDIT: It's only for windows :(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What is it about? it's not very clear from the website. Look really interesting and up my alley but I'm turned off by the MP, why/how there's mp in this?

You can play it solo, but I find it works best in a setting with friends. The whole game is set up to only use one screen pass-the-controller style multi where everyone takes a character and chooses their actions through the whole game. It's an RPG-lite in that every choice you make you get points into stats which help get you out of sticky situations you'll find yourself in during rounds and after the game ends. In Single Player it works as a neat little CYOA but with friends it becomes a race to see who can make the most outrageous thing happen, laughing when someone blows up a building, or being the guy who picks The Looter or Town Drunk jobs and watching the city crumble because of you.

You can play it solo, but I find it works best in a setting with friends. The whole game is set up to only use one screen pass-the-controller style multi where everyone takes a character and chooses their actions through the whole game. It's an RPG-lite in that every choice you make you get points into stats which help get you out of sticky situations you'll find yourself in during rounds and after the game ends. In Single Player it works as a neat little CYOA but with friends it becomes a race to see who can make the most outrageous thing happen, laughing when someone blows up a building, or being the guy who picks The Looter or Town Drunk jobs and watching the city crumble because of you.

That sounds right up my alley and a lot like the game I'm making. Except I don't have a very talented artist partner (yet).

Toma

Bought the Yawhg, 5$ was cheap enough even though I have no clue what its about.

Toma

Updated the GameReviewAnalysis database.

Toma

Some more votes for the current month would be neat too btw :p

Top Bottom