• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

rybrad

Is anyone in the Grim Dawn beta? I have been thinking about getting it since it is not $50 now but I am undecided. I love a good loot game and supporting quality titles, but the impressions thread dried up pretty fast without many actual impressions.

Hofmann

Road Not Taken - Road Not Taken is an original puzzle game about life’s surprises. Adventure through a vast, ever-changing forest in the aftermath of a brutal winter storm. Will you find your way?
1383078_636717649701305_936177889_n.jpg

Ex Amante - Game about letting go.

Exist - A first-person horror-adventure based on themes of existentialism and societal negativity that takes place in a surreal nightmare where the fears of your character and the world around us intertwine into an eerie atmosphere of unsettling truths.

Cylne - Choose between different symbols to explore unreal worlds. They are filled with psychic/environmental enigmas and aerian gameplay. Surrounded by a dark strange halo, dive into consciousness roots to find a meaning behind… or not.

Aril - Strategy game with intense fast-paced matches set in an ambient universe.

Nott Won't Sleep - An interactive bedtime story for the iPad.

Hofmann

A lot of those look interesting, thanks for the links Hofmann.

So, just a few more:

DreamRoom - A hypnotic indie game about the worlds of our minds. It paints a story that is beautiful, personal, and terrifying to experience.

CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET - A visual novel inspired by "The Temptation of Saint Anthony" triptych by the 16th century Dutch painter Jheronimus Bosch. Winner of Bosch Art Game international competition 2013.

Curious Expedition - HUD mockup to illustrate how the final game may look like.

Hofmann

• MirrorMoon EP - It perfectly captures this feeling of being completely alone, even though surrounded by other poor bastards like you, looking for an excitement and magic in a rapidly changing rational world.
  • The Note - Much better than I expected. Both soothing while slowly drifting apart and painful, when holding closely to what should be left behind.
  • Fuaim - If you ever had an urge to take a dive in to a pool of sparkling lemonade while doing acid on a hot summer day, just play this game, instead.
  • Full Bore - One of those few charming and addicting puzzle adventure games, that won't let you go until you search every nook and cranny and uncover all the mysteries that it holds for you. Too bad we have to wait for the second half of it.
  • Time Frame - Just stop for a moment and you will appreciate how beautiful the world could be. The torches consuming their last supper, water pouring from a fountain or dust particles dancing in the air, scattered throughout the world, ilustrate the idea of time flow quite wonderfully - the way it is presented makes you cherish those important moments, usually lost in abundance of stimuli, like never before. I only wish I could have experienced it without any previous knowledge, so if you still don't know what it is - good for you, download it straight away.
  • Morphopolis - So, I didn't buy it, as I heard Alpha is a bit buggy (no pun intended), but who cares - it looks lovely.

I still have to check out some other games - Time Frame being the main suspect here.

Check out the trailer for this upcoming IOS game Naught 2.
What will you find on Naught 2?. Not only has Naught's world been completely redesigned to create more interactive and detailed environments, it includes new features that enhance the gameplay and reinvent platform game style. Game controls have been extensively improved while still offering two different options: accelerometer controls and virtual buttons. Naught is now characterized by procedural animations that allow him to adapt his movements to the surroundings by holding on to walls, modifying his way of walking depending on gravity and the ground surface, and pushing objects in a unique and dynamic fashion.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I'd love to see this on PC

Edit: from the devs on Toucharcade:
It will be paid ($1.99), but with NO IAP. ^^

We want to try in Greenlight and there will also be a version for PS VITA (in the future). But the all images we're showing are from the iOS version.

Wok

The demo of Beyond Perception is interesting. The game plays with our perception in a similar (yet different) way to Antichamber. There are just a few levels, so it is really not enough to see how the level design would be pushed further. On the youtube video, we see levels which are not part of the demo, so there is more.

The demo of Beyond Perception is interesting. The game plays with our perception in a similar (yet different) to Antichamber. There are just a few levels, so it is really not enough to see how the level design would be pushed further. On the youtube video, we see levels which are not part of the demo, so there is more.
Yeah the demo is actually (I think) just the 7DFPS version. I thought BP was one of the most promising 7DFPS games, up there with SuperHOT and Probably Archery, so I'm pretty excited that it's going to become a full game

Yeah, saw the article on RPS, definitely backing it on KS, looks totally awesome!
Actually now I'm quite torn between First Contact and Confederate. On one hand, you got awesome pixel art, stealth and action, promised open-ended gameplay and tactics, and an intriguing story. On the other, you have more awesome pixel art, permadeath and procedurally generated levels, tactical gameplay, another intriguing story and world, and some awesome bodily destruction/gore effects.

I'm getting a $25 card on Monday so I'm considering backing both, but preferably I only plan to back one. But that decision is going to be so hard

Another promising Screenshot Saturday game:

Noir Syndrome
- Procedurally generated: Murder mystery scenarios with a new culprit and clues each time, every play-through is unique.
- Permanent choices: NPCs, interactions, and death will all persist until a new game is started.
- Notebook: Collect clues in the detectives notebook to help solve the case.
- Investigation: Interact with and examine numerous objects and characters in a number of environments.
- Countdown: Given a set number of days to solve the case, each area visited will decrement the time left.
- Freedom of choice: attempt to solve the case, or live out your remaining time doing as you please - be it fighting the law, going after gang members, or just seeing the city.
- Gunplay: Combat is generally to be avoided as a single bullet will take down the player. However, when necessary, the revolver is always available for use.
- Statistics and Scores: Statistics and high scores for a variety of topics will persist through every game.

ELUfSUo.gif

Lamptramp

Had a really busy month this month and not had the time I'd hoped to play much thanks to the parasitic new life lurking in my wife's uterus. As such I've kept it just to my favourite 5, mostly I've favoured the shorter experience this month.

Voting!

Superhot - An excellent idea and presented beautifully, hope to see it develop into a full experience.

Incognita
- Turn based and Klei, a match made in heaven, though still clearly unfinished its kept my attention for some time despite that. Gorgeous!

Probe Team - A fabulously short and complete experience, exploring a map with a group of probes in 10 second bursts.

Mirrormoon EP - Exploring the unknown, slow, deliberate and very compelling.

Hexcells - $3 well spent, a lovely looking and sounding Minecraft Minesweeper-esque puzzle game. Short but great value for money.

I tried Impulse on your recommendation Toma, and I can see why its liked but I'm just terrible at controlling it, after (shamefully) getting stuck on level 17 for an age I got angry at myself and quit. I'll try and get back to it ;) Soundtrack's great though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Had a really busy month this month and not had the time I'd hoped to play much thanks to the parasitic new life lurking in my wife's uterus. As such I've kept it just to my favourite 5, mostly I've favoured the shorter experience this month.

Voting!

Superhot - An excellent idea and presented beautifully, hope to see it develop into a full experience.

Incognita
- Turn based and Klei, a match made in heaven, though still clearly unfinished its kept my attention for some time despite that. Gorgeous!

Probe Team - A fabulously short and complete experience, exploring a map with a group of probes in 10 second bursts.

Mirrormoon EP - Exploring the unknown, slow, deliberate and very compelling.

Hexcells - $3 well spent, a lovely looking and sounding Minecraft-esque puzzle game. Short but great value for money.

I tried Impulse on your recommendation Toma, and I can see why its liked but I'm just terrible at controlling it, after (shamefully) getting stuck on level 17 for an age I got angry at myself and quit. I'll try and get back to it ;) Soundtrack's great though.

Its really a shame so many people have issues controlling it. Though I need to admit, these levels are easily among the hardest in the game and usually require you to time your lift off very well. In that level always go up first and then hover to the other side of the screen, like this:

Once you got the hang of it, its actually quite easy. Sorry for the huge greenscreen, I made the gif with Gifcam 2.0 but I couldnt get rid of the greenscreen upon saving even after I deactivated it from the edit menu. Anyone know whats up with that?

Hofmann

If you're still unsure what Paradise is, then check out this article and interview by Chris Priestman with Aliceffekt and Orihaus.

Does anyone know how to use punctuation in a description of a vessel and how to enter an object when you move another one on to it?

I've included bunch of IGF games that as far as I know never appeared here.

Interstellaria - Take the role of captain in an epic space adventure! Battle in space, explore planets, trade, upgrade your ships and crew, and save mankind!

Europa - An immersive FPS adventure game set on Jupiters moon 'Europa'.

RIP - Barch (DEios) and Mooosh (LIONESS) decided to make Pretty Much the Same Game, but working on it alone in confined space of their own peronalities.

These three looks interesting specially Interstellaira.

Lamptramp

Once you got the hang of it, its actually quite easy. Sorry for the huge greenscreen, I made the gif with Gifcam 2.0 but I couldnt get rid of the greenscreen upon saving even after I deactivated it from the edit menu. Anyone know whats up with that?

You know I was trying that level for nearly 40 minutes before I got angry, and now I did it first time. I think the speed warning was making me think I couldn't hit the green mark at any speed, was really hard to get there with a smooth landing. I'll try it some more after work.

Thanks for the explanation though :) Its kind of like steering a boat, great fun when you get it just so but anger inducing when you keep hitting the bank/ducks/canoeists/swimming children.

Reset
Trailer
Reset is a single player co-op first person puzzle game with a strong emphasis on story and atmosphere. The unique game mechanic in Reset is the ability to travel back in time to solve puzzles co-operatively, with yourself.

reset_tease_1.jpg
"...and it looks a cross between Portal 2 and that level in Braid where you co-operate with a version of yourself from an earlier timeline..."

Wok

Reset
Trailer

"...and it looks a cross between Portal 2 and that level in Braid where you co-operate with a version of yourself from an earlier timeline..."

While this game looks incredibly nice, I expect a terribly boring gameplay.

Try the following game to get an idea of how playing the same scenes several times is both tedious and boring in practice:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/prometheus/

If you want to taste a good game mechanic which involves time, try VOID instead:
https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=23876

wat? Consensual Torture Simulator

From indiegames.com:

There are a lot of videogames about violence but not nearly enough about consensual forms of violence and non-normative forms of intimacy," writes in Merritt Kopas to share her newest paid game, Consensual Torture Simulator. While most other genres and modes of games shy away from such topics, her Twine work presents a couple's premeditated approach to pleasure and pain.

While the planning isn't interactive, the violent intimacy is, in choosing how and where to inflict pain. I was a bit perplexed while playing because I did not know when to stop, as the character never used the safe word. Maybe that feeling of uncertainty is part of what people feel in real life during such intimacy. The text certainly gets explicit, but I didn't see or hear anything else that could be NSFW, in case you need to know when or where you can explore this 10-minute Twine tale.

Some more info about Paradise Lost, straight from the dev:

Despite the look of the trailer, we are still in a early state of development... cause we want to make a HUGE game. We have plans to release by the end of 2014 (if everything goes right).

Think of it as a 2D metal gear but with the extension an puzzle resolution of other classics like Oddworld or Metroid. Some parts will be resolved by logic, other ones with the use of abilities, but the normal situations with enemies would be a free choose for the player. As I told you, like a Metal Gear.

Also you can't kill enemies in the game and must use limited abilities strategically

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Impulse Lvl 17 again:
Now thats some next gen player choice at work gentlemen. See all these different approaches? How does AAA even dream of competing with that! :-O (The last one was the pro version, aka took me the most tries)

And bonus, the level I am still stuck at:

Toma

First thread to break 50k views, woop.

rybrad

After pre-ordering the game in 2011 (!) Desktop Dungeons finally has a release date! It will be coming to Steam on November 7. You can try out the old Alpha build for free here but the game has changed dramatically for the better since then.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Hmm. Gumroad has a no erotica policy AFAIK...so if this is explicit, it may actually be withdrawn from sale if it attracts enough attention.

After pre-ordering the game in 2011 (!) Desktop Dungeons finally has a release date! It will be coming to Steam on November 7. You can try out the old Alpha build for free here but the game has changed dramatically for the better since then.
Wow. I did too. Ended up being quite unhappy with how mindless-grind-to-win it was compared to the original and eventually forgot about the game's existence.

Gazoinks

Holy crap an Arakion update.

"We now have some concrete dates! I can now confidently say that you can set your calendars to these dates."
Yeah sorry guys you haven't exactly inspired me with your timeliness so far. Especially since they say they have concrete dates and then don't mention them...

Welp, development appears to still be actually happening I guess. They've given backer access to a design doc, which is cool. Gonna see if I can get into Alpha 1, wanna see the game!

rybrad

Hmm. Gumroad has a no erotica policy AFAIK...so if this is explicit, it may actually be withdrawn from sale if it attracts enough attention.

Wow. I did too. Ended up being quite unhappy with how mindless-grind-to-win it was compared to the original and eventually forgot about the game's existence.
I put some time into last month and I didn't feel like it was too grindy. It had unlocks and what-not like a lot of rogue-like/likes/lites these days but nothing really like the grind of a Rogue Legacy for example.

Holy crap an Arakion update.

"We now have some concrete dates! I can now confidently say that you can set your calendars to these dates."
Yeah sorry guys you haven't exactly inspired me with your timeliness so far. Especially since they say they have concrete dates and then don't mention them...

Welp, development appears to still be actually happening I guess. They've given backer access to a design doc, which is cool. Gonna see if I can get into Alpha 1, wanna see the game!
This one is the Kickstarter I have the least faith in out of those I have backed. I really hope all of the silent time has resulted in quality time spent making the game excellent but we shall see.

Edit: The other thing that annoys me is they don't have a Greenlight page or seem to be trying to get on Steam at all. I am not sure what their plans on for selling this when it is done but it seems short-sighted not having a Greenlight page this whole time.

Gazoinks

\This one is the Kickstarter I have the least faith in out of those I have backed. I really hope all of the silent time has resulted in quality time spent making the game excellent but we shall see.

Everytime they do show up they have actually developed stuff, so it's progressing, but they haven't exactly been inspiring confidence with their handling of the post-KS baggage so far. We'll seeeee.

Confederate Express just got funded. And I backed. The whole map system and weapon customization looks so good.

Stretch goals include infinite maps, destructible environments, body implants (rocket launchers for arms!), and more.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Well if there's a silver lining, I have 240 GBs of free space again! And thank god for Humble, Desura, and Steam. At least I won't have to go scouring the internet for the games I had

Depending on how much drive activity occured, you may be able to recover some of the save files using Recuva. Can't guarantee anything though, seeing as how you mentioned several restarts in the other thread :(

Fuck man it took me like 6 tries to type that post without double bracketing the tags. Been spending too much time in Twine.

Depending on how much drive activity occured, you may be able to recover some of the save files using Recuva. Can't guarantee anything though, seeing as how you mentioned several restarts in the other thread :(

Fuck man it took me like 6 tries to type that post without double bracketing the tags. Been spending too much time in Twine.
Thanks for the link. Stupid stupid stupid not to back up my music. Had over 400 songs.

But at least, thank god, that I remembered to back my stories. I have work from as far back as 2006 and I would have been pissed beyond belief if I had lost all that. That work is irreplaceable

Cheesecake, you're my hero. There was no way I was going to remember every song I had. That program was a life saver.

Now I've double backed up my music and stories to Dropbox and a spare USB.

The Girl & The Robot is now on Kickstarter
A girl trapped in a lifeless castle built upon ancient arcane technology, and ruled by an evil queen. One fateful day, she escapes her prison cell and encounters a malfunctioning robot knight that she decides to free. They must work together to unravel the mystery of the castle in time to escape with their lives.

The Girl and the Robot is a third person action/adventure game for PC, Mac and Linux set in a fairy tale world.

The game brings the thrills of classic games such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Ico, and pairs them with the sense of wonder and adventure found in animated movies such as those from Studio Ghibli.

4634ecf7233a39b581802bbea46237c9_large.png
Promotion1_Final_Small.png

Top Bottom