• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
aqzcYnv.png

For your perusal in the Indie Gaming November thread!

Haha, good spot top of the page ;) Did you make another current version of the demo for the Kickstarter? Looking forward to trying the game again. Also, congrats :) Was lovely to see your progress throughout this development :)

Ashodin

Haha, good spot top of the page ;) Did you make another current version of the demo for the Kickstarter? Looking forward to trying the game again. Also, congrats :) Was lovely to see your progress throughout this development :)

Demos will be available shortly after the kickstarter is live. I am also sending several different press demos out, each with a mysterious piece of a puzzle and personalized content for each outlet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Onto my elaborations for Impulse (free!):

The biggest issue with this game is that you can't show people how good this game actually is by just looking at screenshots. After playing it until level 52 today (and being thoroughly stuck there atm), I'd definitely say its one of the best games this month.

Here is a description by the dev:

Your craft is at the whim of Newtonian physics. With only a simple thruster you need to battle the forces of gravity and atmospheric drag all while avoiding high-speed impact. The trouble is that all these variables are liable to change with each level. Gravity could be strong, or weak, or zero; it may pull in any direction. Drag might mirror the vacuum of space or the ocean depths. Your craft’s thrusters might be strong or weak. You might have limited or limitless fuel. Your hull might laugh off high-speed impacts or it might shatter from the slightest bump.

With all these variables, levels take on very different feels. Some require careful thinking and gentle, deliberate action. Others are all about reflexes and reaction. Most are a mixture of both.

While I am not too fond of Lunar Lander style gameplay in general (Impulse evoked thoughts of Lunar Lander before playing it), I actually really like Impulse. The greatest strength of this game is its versatility in level design and little touches that just make me feel good playing it. The most obvious one is the soundtrack. If nothing else, download the game just so you get the soundtrack for free. You can grab it from the Content/Music folder. Other than that, the small visual touches just feel.. satisfying. The little particle effects and jamming of lines if you are about to touch a deadly wall, it just makes this little geometry world come to life. Its one of the most abstract games I've played this year (Hello 2x0ng), but still does a remarkably good job at feeling "dangerous". Now this is also an aspect that other people might dislike, but it can get remarkably hard because its requiring several skills to play this game through. You need to think about some puzzle levels, use precise measurements, decide when the previous approaches that worked wont work anymore, quickly react and most of all, make sure you understand the level approach, and this is what I love about this game.

The game slowly eases you into how you can maneuver your little ship, but then starts throwing overboard what you learned and makes you apply a totally different idea that you didnt even know the game had, like needing to speed up via bouncing between walls before you can attempt to run through a passage way, or just throwing a random Worms style level at you in which you only have one "charge" to make a big jump and need to hit the goal on the other side. It does VERY well in playing with its own rules. Momentum, mass, speed, gravity all are frequently altered so that every level is a new puzzle for which you need to understand the rules.

Its a bit sad that people seem to have a hard time grasping the controls, because they wont get easier later on as the game obviously starts messing around with making this little ship even harder to control, only for the level to require a completely different skill. There was a level in which the ship was impossibly hard to control and instead of precise control just asked of very, very good timing of me. You might wonder how a level might need good timing without precise control and.. thats exactly the kind of question that I love this game for. The variability in this seemingly simple set of rules is really, really interesting.

Love it. I am getting the same "taking a gameplay idea and distilling it into a small and simply fun package"-feeling like I did with 2x0ng. Hopefully, some others can overcome their initial issues with the controls. Give the game a dl and try it for the soundtrack at least. :p

Nice write up Toma! I felt the same way. I found the level variety and the awesome particle effects to be the most satisfying elements. I actually found the controls quite intuitive and easy to grasp, hard to master

Did you try One Finger Death Punch? I found it so fun that I got the game on both PC and 360

Toma

Nice write up Toma! I felt the same way. I found the level variety and the awesome particle effects to be the most satisfying elements. I actually found the controls quite intuitive and easy to grasp, hard to master

Did you try One Finger Death Punch? I found it so fun that I got the game on both PC and 360

->
Hey, Toma, did you see One Finger Death Punch?

Also have you played LogiGun? Looks good but I was looking for GAF impressions.

OFDP is good fun, really cool how they implemented depth into these seamingly simple mechanics. Also looks super stylish.

;)

Fake Edit: Just curious, any particular reason why Impulse didnt make your voting list? Cant find many actual flaws in the game personally, but I'd certainly be interested in hearing your reasoning, especially since you seemed to like it.

Actual Curiosity Edit: Also, any particular reason you didnt give SpaceChem a whirl yet?

Your write-up made me rethink my list and I added it to my Honorable Mentions.

And as much as I enjoy puzzle games, idk, SpaceChem just doesn't seem appealing to me. Maybe it's because I really can't get a good grasp of the mechanics from trailers. I bet there's a demo, but I haven't checked it out yet. I'll do that over the weekend.

And cutting down on both posts here and blog stuff meant I actually got shit done today. Finished both essays for 18th Century Revolutions and Cognitive Psych so I'll be to try some games I've been putting off tomorrow.

Off topic but did any of you check out my stories? I know some of you guys are into sci-fi and 4 out of 5 of those pieces (original work, not NEO) are sci-fi and the other is crime fiction that will shift halfway to supernatural horror.

I'd really love feedback and thoughts. The writing workshop thread on GAF is dead and at least I know a lot of you here have writing experience and could provide good feedback. I haven't written any fiction in a long time and kind of want to know if I still got my talents

I promise not to post about this anymore here, but really this is quite important to me and any kind of critical feedback is welcome

Dascu

Let's see if there's any interesting horror games in that IGF list.

I got some mixed feelings on not entering Malebolgia. I wish the deadline had been a month later, could've gotten a good demo up by then.

Toma

Let's see if there's any interesting horror games in that IGF list.

I got some mixed feelings on not entering Malebolgia. I wish the deadline had been a month later, could've gotten a good demo up by then.

You can still enter with Malebolgia next year though, right? Makes more sense to be in that voting anyway if your game has a bit of a name anyway.

Guys, Rain World is one of the submissions (On my phone, I'll find the link later) I've been following that game and it has shaped into something unique and stylish. Be sure to check it out

And any Digipen entries?

Toma

Guys, Rain World is one of the submissions (On my phone, I'll find the link later) I've been following that game and it has shaped into something unique and stylish. Be sure to check it out

And any Digipen entries?

Everything seems to be on that list, From Amnesia 2 to My-First-Indie-Project 12.

Wok

I have filtered out games which I already know about, and games which I am not much interested in. I will post the raw list of links. The next step is to remove the links which do not include a demo.

Edit: This is the list: http://pastebin.com/EjSAw3q9

Hofmann

I have filtered out games which I already know about, and games which I am not much interested in. I will post the raw list of links. The next step is to remove the links which do not include a demo.

Edit: This is the list: http://pastebin.com/EjSAw3q9

Here are some interesting games I've never heard of:

Source

Lumino City

Metrico

Icycle: On Thin Ice

Monochroma

Paralect

Something Fragile

White Night

Actual Sunlight

Troubadour

Toma

It already started one ot two pages ago.

Haha, he was referring to IGF. ;)

But to be honest, I am less interested in the voting there myself, and more interested in the games we find there, like the ones Hof just mentioned.

daydream

Banned
Need to play some more of Valdis Story and Spud's Quest to make sure they don't turn into debacles after the first (very promising) 30 minutes of playing. AA5 is making that difficult at the moment.

The AAA industry looks pretty bad when an indie game (Running With Rifles) portrays the chaos of the battlefield between than any CoD or Battlefield or any military shooter in recent years.

Hofmann

Toma

Woah, did anyone else try Time Frame? That was really neat, but I cant ... talk about it without spoiling why. Hofmann? Seems like one for you.

Hofmann

Woah, did anyone else try Time Frame? That was really neat, but I cant ... talk about it without spoiling why. Hofmann? Seems like one for you.

It's even me who mentioned it last month, but I still haven't tried it yet:D I will definitely do it by the end of this month voting!

daydream

Banned

I thought it was a really cool idea. I'm too lazy to add images or gifs to my impressions, so no one reads them. ;)

With SUPER HOT and this now, it's good to see people experimenting with these seemingly fixed variables like time. There's still a lot to be discovered there.

Toma

I thought it was a really cool idea. I'm too lazy to add images or gifs to my impressions, so no one reads them. ;)

With SUPER HOT and this now, it's good to see people experimenting with these seemingly fixed variables like time. There's still a lot to be discovered there.

Good short write up, and you were spot on about the ending. I'd love to talk a bit about the game, but first more people should try it. I'd say, we'll give the people another 3-4 days and then we discuss it (with spoiler tags). Until then I would avoid talking about it at all so people spoil it because they are curious.

On a similar note, did anyone try Tri? Or bought the alpha version? The demo made me really interested. Getting some PortalXAlice in Wonderland vibe which is kinda cool. Might buy this later, another demo you should try people! Going to write a bit more about it later.

Manik

Yeah, I've played it and thought it was utterly superb. Had no idea what to expect going in, and I think that's the best way to experience it, so will stop talking until more people have given it a go.

Good short write up, and you were spot on about the ending. I'd love to talk a bit about the game, but first more people should try it. I'd say, we'll give the people another 3-4 days and then we discuss it (with spoiler tags). Until then I would avoid talking about it at all so people spoil it because they are curious.

On a similar note, did anyone try Tri? Or bought the alpha version? The demo made me really interested. Getting some PortalXAlice in Wonderland vibe which is kinda cool. Might buy this later, another demo you should try people! Going to write a bit more about it later.
Did a write up on Tri a few days ago. You can read it here. I enjoyed it, interesting uses of the mechanic and cool environments to explore

Toma

Did a write up on Tri a few days ago. You can read it here. I enjoyed it, interesting uses of the mechanic and cool environments to explore

How do the puzzles get more complex as you go on other than just finding a spot to put down the triangle? The later puzzle design was basically my only worry with this game.

But I really loooove the style.

Kromaia
Indiegogo
Trailer
Kromaia is a six degrees of freedom adventure shooter which takes action, speed, agility and immersion to a new level. Insane enemy patterns, impressive swarms, giant god-like guardians, ancient temples, contraptions, treasures, visual ecstasy... All in a vast and unexplored universe only ruled by physic laws.

Kromaia_Dimension_Argos.gif
Kromaia_Dimension_Vermis.gif

20130914212916-Kromaia_Tau_01.jpg
Kromaia_Multiverse_01_LARGE.jpg

Guys, this needs more attention. The devs reached out to me to try the mini-game and story demo. I didn't know what to expect but it's awesome and I'm really enjoying it. The movement is tight and responsive and you're extremely maneuverable. There are a number of different ships, each with their own special weapons and style (the standard blaster/shotgun vs the melee focused, shuriken throwing ship). The environments are large and open, with abstract architecture, moving traps and obstacles, and enemies ranging from massive snake things to hordes of smaller turrets. The ships have tons of cool moving parts and little details. I really hope their campaign succeeds because the concept and gameplay itself is just really fun

How do the puzzles get more complex as you go on other than just finding a spot to put down the triangle? The later puzzle design was basically my only worry with this game.

But I really loooove the style.
At first you're just placing triangles to bridge gaps but then you're using them to basically change gravity and walk on any surface and to reflect lasers and light beams, while also using them to cross gaps and stuff. It's a lot more about exploration and using the triangles to explore than brain wracking puzzles that stump you,

Toma

"You have leet candies"

Haha.

Toma

Another game to check out this month is the free Tri demo:

As I said, I am getting some Portal X Alice vibes from this and despite the main mechanic not actually being terribly original when I think about it, they make this game feel special via the worlds they are building here. It feels mysterious and exploration is seriously rewarding as this game has its way of... not giving away immediately all possible paths, ways and secrets.

The basic gameplay mechanic revolves around creating a triangular floor in thin air, and while this sounds like it may break the levels quite hard, they actually did a really great job at making you feel empowered with that ability, but at the same time still challenged to actually apply it properly.

Lovely game, will probably bite into the alpha.

Top Bottom