• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

Ravidrath

Any chance for the prototype to hit the XB marketplace?

First, pretty sure MS wouldn't allow it at this point - I did a parity clause check on the prototype when we thought we'd have time to do it.

Second, we don't have the resources right now, and it'd be a bad time to do it.

We're in the process of massively upgrading the rendering engine. Everything is PC/platform agnostic now, but still a work-in-progress.

So we'd basically have to stop improving the engine, port the old renderer over, and then later there'd likely be a fair amount of work porting the updated final renderer over.

First, pretty sure MS wouldn't allow it at this point - I did a parity clause check on the prototype when we thought we'd have time to do it.

Second, we don't have the resources right now, and it'd be a bad time to do it.

We're in the process of massively upgrading the rendering engine. Everything is PC/platform agnostic now, but still a work-in-progress.

So we'd basically have to stop improving the engine, port the old renderer over, and then later there'd likely be a fair amount of work porting the updated final renderer over.

Oh. Well, good luck dude. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your team.

TheOGB

Banned
New update today, looking at the Fortress Vimana environment!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indivisible-rpg-from-the-creators-of-skullgirls#/updates

nmvsk2pzxxar4qf7xplb.jpg

hhol1fbjehvvjzbmivn8.jpg

rjfeounldeo1y2btfuzf.png
Gah damn these look nice

I'm with Zebei (heh), 2nd and 3rd would be more than welcome on my desktop. They'd go nice with my rotation of SG backgrounds.

ZoronMaro

Don't think there's anything particularly spoiler-y about this?

Just one of many places you'll be exploring in the game.

I mean...a flying fortress is usually final dungeon territory, or at least a big reveal in many other games (and the red and black lighting sure makes it look like a final dungeon).

If you guys think it's not spoiler-y then you'd know better than us, NeoGAF goes a little ham on spoiler culture sometimes, but I gotta admit it sure looks like an important set piece.

Ravidrath

I mean...a flying fortress is usually final dungeon territory, or at least a big reveal in many other games (and the red and black lighting sure makes it look like a final dungeon).

If you guys think it's not spoiler-y then you'd know better than us, NeoGAF goes a little ham on spoiler culture sometimes, but I gotta admit it sure looks like an important set piece.

We definitely wouldn't post it if it was the final dungeon, haha.

Fortress Vimana is one of the 9-ish main areas in the game, which we usually refer to internally as "regions." It's actually pretty early in the game.

kami_sama

I only have to say that the interiors looks gorgeous.
The exterior too, I love the mix of a spacship and a ¿Myanmar? temple, but the pillars and walls with red lines are soooo awesome.

Keep the good work, guys!

Ravidrath

Great architecture. Did you get inspired to do this by Khmer palace architecture (i.e. Angkor Wat)?

It's meant to be a sort of amalgam of SE Asian stuff, but leaning a bit in the Indian direction.

We just didn't want to go full-on Taj Mahal onion domes, etc.

Ultimadrago

BackerKit Surveys Coming Soon
Hey, backers! Hope you had a good weekend and enjoyed the last update!

Today’s update focuses on campaign logistics: fulfillment of goods and upgrades.

The Indivisible campaign will be fulfilling with the help of the excellent BackerKit service - if you’ve crowdfunded other projects, you’ve probably have some experience with BackerKit and know how easy it is to use.

Once we set everything in motion, you’ll receive a BackerKit survey at the e-mail address you contributed from. Clicking the link will let you fill out your mailing address and any other information. You can update that information any time in the future before the final shipments go out.

The only rewards we’ll be sending out now are the Steam codes for How to Survive and Brothers - everything else will be distributed in early 2018 when the game ships. If you’ll recall, all contributors receive a code for How To Survive, and all contributors $100 and over also received a code for Brothers!

Tier Upgrades Through BackerKit
Additionally, you’ll be able to upgrade your contribution using BackerKit’s store features any time before the game ships.

Once the BackerKit surveys go out, we will no longer be accepting tier upgrade contributions through Indiegogo, and will only accept BackerKit upgrades.

New contributions, however, can still be made through Indiegogo.

The BackerKit upgrades will be handled via their store interface, and will be limited to tiers up to the $500 “Patron” tier.

Furthermore, if you you’ve previously tried to upgrade manually through Indiegogo by combining multiple contributions, please make sure BackerKit has you starting out at the correct tier! If your tier is incorrect, please contact indiegogo (at) labzerogames (dot) com and we’ll try to resolve things as quickly as possible.

Upgrade Campaign

When the BackerKit surveys go out, we’ll also be revealing mock-ups of some of the physical goods that didn’t have them before, namely the backer-exclusive Limited Edition Physical Version, the T-Shirt, and Giclee print.

While none of these designs are final, we think being able to see roughly what we have in mind for these items may entice those of you who are considering upgrading and help us reach the next stretch goal.

Removing Patron Saint Tier
Finally, on July 11th, 2016 we’ll be discontinuing the Patron Saint Tier. So if you’d like to contribute at that level or upgrade to that tier, please do so before then, because there won’t be another chance to in the future.

New Update

==============

Hey Ravi, does Backerkit feed into any potential to have extra add-ons made available for Backers to upgrade with? I know you didn't have anything set in stone yet, but I'm still open for more goods (whatever they could be).

Kanashimi

So I backed the project when it was live, but haven't kept up to date since then (I usually let projects sit).

However, I remember some vague talk about a Lanshi plushie. Was this ever looked into? Now that I see that tier deadlines are coming up, I was going to update, but couldn't find any information.

NEO0MJ

We're getting close to the fully voiced main characters stretch goal, but I feel it's moving too slow to reach it in time for the game's launch. Hope it does, though!

So I backed the project when it was live, but haven't kept up to date since then (I usually let projects sit).

However, I remember some vague talk about a Lanshi plushie. Was this ever looked into? Now that I see that tier deadlines are coming up, I was going to update, but couldn't find any information.

No news on that. If they ever do that I think it will probably be a standalone thing sold separate.

Ravidrath

Hey Ravi, does Backerkit feed into any potential to have extra add-ons made available for Backers to upgrade with? I know you didn't have anything set in stone yet, but I'm still open for more goods (whatever they could be).

It does!

I think a poster is a likely add-on, and...

Probably this.

These wouldn't be exclusive to Backer Kit, though, more sorta convenience shopping. And we'd probably sell them separately at Sanshee or wherever else, too.

Big0Bear

Does any know if there will be sizes for shirts? I backed it but I'm worried they are only going to have medium or large sadly I'm a big guy and need that good old XXL

Ravidrath

Does any know if there will be sizes for shirts? I backed it but I'm worried they are only going to have medium or large sadly I'm a big guy and need that good old XXL

For SG, I believe we did S, M, L, XL, XXL in both men and women's cuts, and we'll be doing the same thing here.

So, yeah, we've got you covered!

Sorry if you guys answered it already, but did you guys figure out how to allow for people to upgrade their tiers?

If you want to upgrade to a tier $500 or less, please do it through BackerKit.

If you wanted to upgrade to an NPC, you'd contribute the difference before 7/11 via IGG and notify us in e-mail and we'll manually update it before we pass it off to BackerKit.

Finally got around to playing the demo - some thoughts.

Firstly, the game looks and sounds amazing. Wow.

But, the combat. It's dreadful. Slow, boring, and actual input is unsatisfying and unfun. Hope it gets changed drastically before release.

Narroo

Finally got around to playing the demo - some thoughts.

Firstly, the game looks and sounds amazing. Wow.

But, the combat. It's dreadful. Slow, boring, and actual input is unsatisfying and unfun. Hope it gets changed drastically before release.

Eh, most other people are liking it, although it does need a little refinement. Its like Valk. Profile where you basically want to combo enemies.

Ravidrath

I don't expect it'll be changed drastically - we'll be adding guard break and some other nuances to the combat, and the characters will have much more variety in play style and abilities, etc. in the final game.

But... slow? Usually people complain it's too fast until they get the hang of it, haha.

We may have overdone the tutorialization in the prototype, but since VP isn't familiar to a lot of people we wanted to play it safe.

But I certainly wouldn't judge the combat until you've got a full party with 2-3 attacks per character.

Also, we do plan on adding an ATB Speed setting in the final game, too.

Von Koz

Neo Member
Great architecture. Did you get inspired to do this by Khmer palace architecture (i.e. Angkor Wat)?

The main inspiration for Fortress Vimana is a Hindu temple aesthetic crossed with Laputa, and Meenakshi Temple. Obviously these are just initial starting off points for us. But it gives a good foothold to start from as we concept these out. Ultimately my goal is to make these environments harken to places and cultures from Earth, but be something entirely their own.

Big0Bear

Thanks for the reply :)

One game relayed question we going to have crazy over the top limit break like attacks in the game? I love crap like that lol

Ravidrath

One game relayed question we going to have crazy over the top limit break like attacks in the game? I love crap like that lol

We're still working out exactly how the supers will work, but they'll definitely be unique and flashy. All fighting game style, basically.

We wanted to do "real" supers for the prototype and ran out of time, so we kludged some together using existing animations.

And Razmi's super in the final game will not be a heal, BTW - again, something we kludged because it was needed and we didn't have a dedicate healer character in the prototype.

The thought is that some supers might come in three parts, depending on how much Iddhi you use on them - i.e. the super has three phases, and you get one phase for every bar you spend, so you get the full animation if you're maxed out.

Some others might always do the same thing and have the same animation, but the power/effect will be scaled based on how much Iddhi you use, which is how they currently work in the prototype.

And this is still up in the air, but there may be some supers that are only usable in the defense phase of battle, too.

Big0Bear

We're still working out exactly how the supers will work, but they'll definitely be unique and flashy.

We wanted to do "real" supers for the prototype and ran out of time, so we kludged some together using existing animations.

And Razmi's super in the final game will not be a heal, BTW - again, something we kludged because it was needed and we didn't have a dedicate healer character in the prototype.

The thought is that some supers might come in three parts, depending on how much Iddhi you use on them - i.e. the super has three phases, and you get one phase for every bar you spend, so you get the full animation if you're maxed out.

Some others might always do the same thing and have the same animation, but the power/effect will be scaled based on how much Iddhi you use, which is how they currently work in the prototype.

And this is still up in the air, but there may be some supers that are only usable in the defense phase of battle, too.

Thanks for the heads up, I love having multiple supers but I always loved RPGs that have crazy over the top or hidden ones. Either way I'm still hyped. Hope you guys find a way to bring it to Japan I think it would do great here.

Ravidrath

Thanks for the heads up, I love having multiple supers but I always loved RPGs that have crazy over the top or hidden ones. Either way I'm still hyped. Hope you guys find a way to bring it to Japan I think it would do great here.

I actually got to pitch it to a large Japanese RPG publisher at E3, and they sounded pretty interested!

We're still too far off for formal discussions, but always good to plant those seeds early.

Big0Bear

I actually got to pitch it to a large Japanese RPG publisher at E3, and they sounded pretty interested!

We're still too far off for formal discussions, but always good to plant those seeds early.

I really hope you guys get the game here. I love all the characters and the diversity and Japan really needs to see how to make more diverse characters. As a black man living here I rarely see games with anything other than Japanese or white characters and when there is a black one it's pretty offensive or stereotypical.

J-Tier

Having three super phases per character? That sounds exciting! A great way to diversify the characters' movesets and also an opportunity to give each character more flavor.

Love what you guys are dreaming up at the moment. It's weird how hyped up I get for every nugget of info I get from this game.

Ravidrath

Having three super phases per character? That sounds exciting! A great way to diversify the characters' movesets and also an opportunity to give each character more flavor.

Love what you guys are dreaming up at the moment. It's weird how hyped up I get for every nugget of info I get from this game.

To clarify, by "phases," I mean they will have one super that can be broken into three parts. And the more Iddhi you use, the more parts of the super you'll see, the more damage you'll do, etc.

Supers are pretty expensive since they tend to have lots of animations and effects, and we have a lot of characters, so we're trying to find smarter ways to do things since we don't have the resources to give everyone three supers, etc.

Psxphile

To clarify, by "phases," I mean they will have one super that can be broken into three parts. And the more Iddhi you use, the more parts of the super you'll see, the more damage you'll do, etc.

Essentially, like in Street Fighter Alpha games one Super can have 3 variations depending on how much bar you have filled when activated. Sometimes it just increases projectile durability and damage, other times it extends the animation quite a bit resulting in a nice finish.

J-Tier

Supers are pretty expensive since they tend to have lots of animations and effects, and we have a lot of characters, so we're trying to find smarter ways to do things since we don't have the resources to give everyone three supers, etc.
Still excites me! Love the idea. Can't wait to see the next update.

RamaKun

We're working on getting the full AX2016 panel to you guys, but in the meantime check out this short sizzle reel we put together for the panel.

Features a first draft of the Indivisible main theme from Kikuta, too!

https://youtu.be/mTFmaDYfKBk

Love it. :)

It was great seeing the new enemies you've come up with, and I especially enjoyed seeing the animation of Ajna using the various weapons.

That taste of the theme has got me wanting so very much to hear more of the OST.

J-Tier

We're working on getting the full AX2016 panel to you guys, but in the meantime check out this short sizzle reel we put together for the panel.

Features a first draft of the Indivisible main theme from Kikuta, too!

https://youtu.be/mTFmaDYfKBk

Victorian-esque city? That's going to be awesome to explore.

Nightlife street in a modern-looking Thailand/Cambodia-esque city? Looks like the game will transcend eras. So I imagine different cultures in this game will have varying levels of technological advancements. We knew there'd be stuff like that based on the flying fortress from the last update, but didn't expect a modern looking place. That's pretty cool!

ZoronMaro

Uggg, I know it's Kikuta, but that theme is really really damn good.

What language are those lyrics though? Cause I can't make them out, but they're kinda giving me Nier vibes.

ZoronMaro

Don't think they're lyrics, just voice-y synth noises.

Yea that's probably it, it's still sounds like Nier though, which is a good thing. The other music sounded like Secret of Mana and I just assumed the whole soundtrack would be like that. Although given the effort you guys are putting into making the game culturally diverse I guess I should be surprised.

Crocodile

I'm assuming this is the right place to post this so that's what I'm going to do. Someone recorded the panel and put it online in 3 parts:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I transcribed the major points of the panel below but for full details you should watch it.

Introductions

• Thanks go to the crowd for showing up + backing the game
  • Brief discussion about their Crowdfunding experience
  • In doing the Indivisible campaign, they tried to learn what other campaigns did wrong and tried to correct them
  • Given now standard campaign funding curves go, Indivisible got off to a poor start. They were super worried but they kept at it and things eventually recovered

Indivisible Updates

• Sizzle Reel is shown off
  • Discussion of all the new tech and additions they've made to the engine (big focus on lighting)
  • Discussion on how stages are made and how that differs from Skullgirls (3D egnine, stages made in parts)
  • Discussion of new moves added to Ajna (Dash, Slide, Weapons get Action Commands, Battle Initiative)
  • New weapons are shown off (focus on Bow and Spear)
  • A Status Effect system has been implemented

Skillgirls Mobile Revealed (Fighting Game with RPG elements)

• History of the project and its goals
  • Review of the basic moves and how to do them
  • Review of how the game handle teams and Fighter Assist system
  • Review of the Story Mode (Story is divided into seasons. Season 1 is a prequel to the normal game)
  • Different version of characters (different palates) available with different moves, stats and attributes (RPG system)
  • Character variants and moves can be unlocked
  • Lab Zero is contributing to Skullgirls Mobile (new animations) - they are well involved
  • New content, including characters, will be made for the Mobile game. If all goes well it will help build a foundation for a Skullgirls 2 if that happens.
  • LOL model - you don't have to spend money to enjoy game, only if you want to. Lab Zero (especially Mike) is making sure its not a micro-transaction pit

Q & A

• Kinuko likes Razmi, Persona really likes a new female character Alex has designed but hasn’t been publicly revealed.
  • Lots of puns, few to no memes
  • Black Dhalia’s gun arm is detachable
  • Animation frames drawn in Photoshop – great for drawing, bad for animation. Suggestions are made for TV Paint, Splash, etc. if animating is the goal.
  • Indivisible more in vein of Super Metroid rather than Metroid Fusion – less directed, not all abilities are required, etc.
  • Skullgirls Mobile is only single-player right now but multiplayer is likely to be added in future (no guarantees).
  • The aim is to make Incarnations more unique than characters in Valkyrie Profile in moveset, theme, etc.
  • Physical versions confirmed as coming – PS4 guaranteed, PS Vita likely but not confirmed. Japanese voices are maybe coming to West
  • Annie is only SG character planned to show up in Indivisible.
  • Aiming the End-of-the-Year for a Backer Beta: Updated prototype with new movement and Incarnations
  • Skullgirls Mobile will have things like lenient buffer windows to help with gameplay on mobile and potential online
  • Guest characters will be free, post-release DLC
  • Platformer characters use fewer frames than a Fighting game character so porting Ajna into Skullgirls/Skullgirls Mobile is unlikely.
  • Skullgirls Mobile will have some new music
  • Indivisible is a Metroidvanaia due in part to a pitch for publisher looking for “something like Child of Light”, because Mike Z and rest of the team are fans of the genre and wanted to do one, because it would be a new challenge

Ultimadrago

I'm assuming this is the right place to post this so that's what I'm going to do. Someone recorded the panel and put it online in 3 parts:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

I transcribed the major points of the panel below but for full details you should watch it.

Introductions

• Thanks go to the crowd for showing up + backing the game
  • Brief discussion about their Crowdfunding experience
  • In doing the Indivisible campaign, they tried to learn what other campaigns did wrong and tried to correct them
  • Given now standard campaign funding curves go, Indivisible got off to a poor start. They were super worried but they kept at it and things eventually recovered

Indivisible Updates

• Sizzle Reel is shown off
  • Discussion of all the new tech and additions they've made to the engine (big focus on lighting)
  • Discussion on how stages are made and how that differs from Skullgirls (3D egnine, stages made in parts)
  • Discussion of new moves added to Ajna (Dash, Slide, Weapons get Action Commands, Battle Initiative)
  • New weapons are shown off (focus on Bow and Spear)
  • A Status Effect system has been implemented

Skillgirls Mobile Revealed (Fighting Game with RPG elements)

• History of the project and its goals
  • Review of the basic moves and how to do them
  • Review of how the game handle teams and Fighter Assist system
  • Review of the Story Mode (Story is divided into seasons. Season 1 is a prequel to the normal game)
  • Different version of characters (different palates) available with different moves, stats and attributes (RPG system)
  • Character variants and moves can be unlocked
  • Lab Zero is contributing to Skullgirls Mobile (new animations) - they are well involved
  • New content, including characters, will be made for the Mobile game. If all goes well it will help build a foundation for a Skullgirls 2 if that happens.
  • LOL model - you don't have to spend money to enjoy game, only if you want to. Lab Zero (especially Mike) is making sure its not a micro-transaction pit

Q & A

• Kinuko likes Razmi, Persona really likes a new female character Alex has designed but hasn’t been publicly revealed.
  • Lots of puns, few to no memes
  • Black Dhalia’s gun arm is detachable
  • Animation frames drawn in Photoshop – great for drawing, bad for animation. Suggestions are made for TV Paint, Splash, etc. if animating is the goal.
  • Indivisible more in vein of Super Metroid rather than Metroid Fusion – less directed, not all abilities are required, etc.
  • Skullgirls Mobile is only single-player right now but multiplayer is likely to be added in future (no guarantees).
  • The aim is to make Incarnations more unique than characters in Valkyrie Profile in moveset, theme, etc.
  • Physical versions confirmed as coming – PS4 guaranteed, PS Vita likely but not confirmed. Japanese voices are maybe coming to West
  • Annie is only SG character planned to show up in Indivisible.
  • Aiming the End-of-the-Year for a Backer Beta: Updated prototype with new movement and Incarnations
  • Skullgirls Mobile will have things like lenient buffer windows to help with gameplay on mobile and potential online
  • Guest characters will be free, post-release DLC
  • Platformer characters use fewer frames than a Fighting game character so porting Ajna into Skullgirls/Skullgirls Mobile is unlikely.
  • Skullgirls Mobile will have some new music
  • Indivisible is a Metroidvanaia due in part to a pitch for publisher looking for “something like Child of Light”, because Mike Z and rest of the team are fans of the genre and wanted to do one, because it would be a new challenge

Thanks for compiling this!

Ravidrath

Any info about the game's shops and the equipment system?

I can go into that a bit - there aren't any, really.

We want exploration to drive growth - so similar to Energy Tanks and Missile Expansions in a Metroid game, as you explore you'll find items to upgrade your party's weapons and armor.

So you'll find these items, and turn them into the Blacksmith and Armorers in your Inner Realm to upgrade your weapons or armor.

Weapon upgrades are what will give you additional action bar segements, BTW - our focus for progression in this game is giving you new tools rather than just higher stats. So every weapon upgrade will be a huge boost to damage and also your party's total combo potential.

Narroo

Something just occurred to me in the shower today: In Skullgirls, the more skill a girl shows, the less attractive they are. (when animated.)

Ravidrath

Something just occurred to me in the shower today: In Skullgirls, the more skill a girl shows, the less attractive they are. (when animated.)

You mean, as say, opposed to Bayonetta, who gets progressively more naked the more powerful attacks she uses?

Ravi, was the mystery anime studio ever revealed? I may have missed it but the last thing i remember was it being delayed for an anime expo announcement in July. Did it happen?

Top Bottom