• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

TheOGB

Banned
I guess by anything you mean Windows versions, because other than Windows, Skullgirls is -as far as I know - on PS3, PS4, 360 (as Encore), Linux and Mac. Indivisible is aiming for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam Windows / Mac / Linux. The prototype is Windows only. From what I've been reading in this thread, it seems the prototype is a major draw for many people and the deciding factor in backing. For anyone on any of the other platforms, that factor isn't there. Not sure how much of a difference that makes, Mac and Linux have small market shares, and I don't think prototypes would be possible on PS4 or XB1.
Ah, I forgot the Linux and Mac prototypes weren't out yet. And yes, I did mean Windows machines.

Beats

Etika on youtube made a video about the game. He was pretty enthusiastic about it too.

He has 222k subscribers on there so hopefully it helps.

Moonlight

Banned
Etika on youtube made a video about the game. He was pretty enthusiastic about it too.

Not a fan of the guy's content, but props to him.

Really hoping the Super Best Friends do a video soon.

Von Koz

Neo Member
I think $30 is a lot to ask and 2 years is a long time to wait, so I think that's hurting them.

Dude? Do you have any idea how hard it is to make video games? This is why the whole mobile/FTP model is severely damaging to games.

A game of this level of quality and polish 10 or more years ago would easily sell for full retail price. Saying that 30 is too much money just comes off as ignorant entitlement.

Can you link it? Some people may have no clue what you are talking about. I'm one of those people.
I don't intend to instrumentalize the political struggle of marginalized identities in gaming culture, but have you reached out to the platforms promoting diversity? Platforms like FemFrequency, Ineeddiversegames, Invisibility Blues, Not Your Mama's Gamer, Justice Points, SpawnOnMe podcast, stuff like that? Just getting them to talk about the game/prototype might boost funding. The game has some great diversity that needs support, I think.
That'd be nice, but regular people can email them a paragraph or two just as easily and get the word out. You yourself are probably in a better position to do so than most people in this thread since I've never heard of these places on Gaf. Not being snarky or anything here btw. I'm just saying it makes sense. If this were a fighting game we'd have a bunch of skullheads spamming emails to eventhubs and SRK lol.

Dude? Do you have any idea how hard it is to make video games? This is why the whole mobile/FTP model is severely damaging to games.

A game of this level of quality and polish 10 or more years ago would easily sell for full retail price. Saying that 30 is too much money just comes off as ignorant entitlement.

I understand what you're saying, but it just feels like there should be some sort of discount incentive to early supporters. I also was sorta speaking rhetorically. I didn't mean that $30 is too much for me, I was saying it like maybe that's why it's not getting funded even quicker?

Moonlight

Banned
So yeah, anyone have an ideal keyboard set up for the game? Been trying to figure one out myself, but it's not coming along really well.

Ravidrath

You're making me sad. :(

How can this be changed? Any suggestions?

We haven't given up, and you shouldn't, either.

Just gotta keep plugging away - people that play the prototype generally want to fund it, so we just need to get more people to check it out.

Have they said why they chose indiegogo? Im pretty sure all the slow funding is indiegogo's fault more than the game itself. Them fighting herds is having the same problem and that has Lauren Faust as designer.

And as someone who was forced to use indiegogo at the time, I have to say the website is shit. We had a bunch of problems of american people trying to pay and they couldnt. And they closed us the page for 2 days nearly at the end becuase they though we were doing something wrong and was only a problem on their part, they reopened it again but didnt gives us those 2 days back. And the harm was already done.

Kickstarter now lets you do crowdfunding from more countries, why havent they (and them fighting herds) decided to choose that instead, is baffling.

Ravidrath

Have they said why they chose indiegogo?

They take a smaller cut and pay out faster. And we have past success with them, and because of that they're giving us a lot of additional PR and campaign support that we could never get from Kickstarter.

I personally find it difficult to believe that IGG is the problem. That doesn't mean it's not, but I think we did put together the kind of campaign everyone says they want, so it's sort of hard to accept that the funding platform would be the deciding factor.

I think that crowdfunding has just kinda... died. It feels like there's been a string of suspicious crowdfunding campaigns. Big ones being Shenmue 3, Red Rust, and that Retro Console. We've also seen what happens when a crowdfunding campaign is unsuccessful, and how many times those projects were funded a different way or returned and it's just not exciting anymore.

Not to mention that the indie landscape is just so, so, so, so, so over saturated these days. It's getting harder and harder to get your game some recognition, even if you had success previously.
Did people just not feel like Skullgirls delivered or something? I would've thought Lab Zero would've had the benefit of the doubt by now, especially a really nice demo you can try before you fund it. It can't be Indiegogo being any less popular than Kickstarter either since their SG DLC drive from just a couple years ago got a lot of attention pretty quickly.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Completely anecdotal, but I've barely noticed Indivisible in my social network feeds since the campaign began. I'm sure it is being given attention, and my feeds aren't indicative of everyone's, but I feel like most indie projects with an even partially ambitious goal end up being frequently talked about, retweeted, etc, and so far that hasn't been the case. Someone earlier remarked that Skullgirls at least had the FGC on its side to spread the very important word-of-mouth news around. Indivisible doesn't appear to have the benefit of such. Awareness really is key, so I hope to see improvements on that front!

Ravidrath

Did people just not feel like Skullgirls delivered or something? I would've thought Lab Zero would've had the benefit of the doubt by now, especially a really nice demo you can try before you fund it. It can't be Indiegogo being any less popular than Kickstarter either since their SG DLC drive from just a couple years ago got a lot of attention pretty quickly.

With the exception of some vocal Linux players, I think Skullgirls backers are incredibly happy with us. We overdelivered on pretty much everything, and were always upfront with any problems we encountered along the way.

Moonlight

Banned
I feel like the problem isn't really IGG itself as the general visibility of the project. There's definitely been articles on most of the major news sites, but not much buzz from what I can tell.

With the exception of some vocal Linux players, I think Skullgirls backers are incredibly happy with us. We overdelivered on pretty much everything, and were always upfront with any problems we encountered along the way.
I do remember there being a lot of buzz around the 'voting' aspect of Skullgirl's character DLC which helped keep that funding campaign in the limelight for quite awhile even after it was over.

Something like that probably isn't really that compatible an idea for what Indivisible's meant to be though.

hupla

They take a smaller cut and pay out faster. And we have past success with them, and because of that they're giving us a lot of additional PR and campaign support that we could never get from Kickstarter.

I personally find it difficult to believe that IGG is the problem. That doesn't mean it's not, but I think we did put together the kind of campaign everyone says they want, so it's sort of hard to accept that the funding platform would be the deciding factor.
I think IGG prevents a snowball effect from happening with its pay up from policy. With KS people who would need to wait for the end of the campagain to put money in can do it day 1, this leads to a lot of campagians looking like big successes early on and cause people.who normally wouldn't back a project to do so to be a part of the Zeitgeist.

Ravidrath

I do remember there being a lot of buzz around the 'voting' aspect of Skullgirl's character DLC which helped keep that funding campaign in the limelight for quite awhile even after it was over.

Something like that probably isn't really that compatible an idea for what Indivisible's meant to be though.

Yeah, while that was good for buzz, it was also absolute Civil War-grade poison to our community.

We will never do that again after seeing how people tore each other apart in the character voting. It was too damaging and people are still hung up on it, years later.

Ravidrath

Ravid, if equipment is minimized then what will the primary method be for upgrading stats?

Right now we're thinking that attack strength is a function of how many Incarnations Ajna has fused with.

Leveling up will give everyone HP and recharge boosts.

Number of attacks will likely be based on weapon upgrades.

I'm really have to say it's a major factor. IGG doesn't exactly have the best reputation and it only gets fraction of the coverage/exposure of Kickstarter

Lime

I think IGG prevents a snowball effect from happening with its pay up from policy. With KS people who would need to wait for the end of the campagain to put money in can do it day 1, this leads to a lot of campagians looking like big successes early on and cause people.who normally wouldn't back a project to do so to be a part of the Zeitgeist.

My exact sentiments

Moonlight

Banned
Ohhhh man it would be so hype. Did they express interest in the game?
They talked about it a far bit on their podcast (and ofc are known huge fans of L0), so I'm hopeful they'll spring a promotional video soon as they've done on a few other Kickstarters.

Ravidrath

I'm really have to say it's a major factor. IGG doesn't exactly have the best reputation and it only gets fraction of the coverage/exposure of Kickstarter

No one covers Kickstarters because they're on Kickstarter, they cover them for the game.

IGG's rep does seem to have gotten worse since we last used them, but all you have to do is look in this thread to see that it's almost entirely based on misinformation and false assumptions. It's still something we need to address, though.

Lime

That'd be nice, but regular people can email them a paragraph or two just as easily and get the word out. You yourself are probably in a better position to do so than most people in this thread since I've never heard of these places on Gaf. Not being snarky or anything here btw. I'm just saying it makes sense. If this were a fighting game we'd have a bunch of skullheads spamming emails to eventhubs and SRK lol.

I was thinking it would be more of an honor to be contacted by the developers themselves or something along those lines. But yeah, I have tried to tweet at them but without any response.

We haven't given up, and you shouldn't, either.

Just gotta keep plugging away - people that play the prototype generally want to fund it, so we just need to get more people to check it out.

Hopefully you're right, I'm just afraid that people are not pledging because of having to pay money up front immediately, thus creating a vicious cycle where people aren't paying because they don't have faith that the campaign will meet its goal.

Whatever happens, Rav, I hope to dear god you won't back down from this project. The concept is super fresh and interesting and your execution looks to be amazing. The project deserves everything.

ricki42

With the exception of some vocal Linux players, I think Skullgirls backers are incredibly happy with us.

I think it would help if you were a bit more open about the Linux port right from the start. I know you've been more communicative recently about the Skullgirls Linux port, and I appreciate that (and bought the game as soon as it was out on Linux). It'd be nice if you could continue the same with Indivisible. But I haven't really been able to find much information about it.
Are you planning to release the Linux version the same day as Windows, or later? If I understand correctly, Skullgirls was ported by volunteers, are you planning to do the same here, and are they the same folks who ported Skullgirls? Will the prototype still come to Linux (and Mac) before the campaign ends? Initially the page said 'in the coming days' but now doesn't mention it at all, which I find a bit worrying. Has development on Linux started at all?
I'm glad you're planning to support Linux, but it would be nice to have a little more information about what to expect - and when to expect it - as a Linux user.

Ravidrath

I think it would help if you were a bit more open about the Linux port right from the start. I know you've been more communicative recently about the Skullgirls Linux port, and I appreciate that (and bought the game as soon as it was out on Linux). It'd be nice if you could continue the same with Indivisible. But I haven't really been able to find much information about it.
Are you planning to release the Linux version the same day as Windows, or later? If I understand correctly, Skullgirls was ported by volunteers, are you planning to do the same here, and are they the same folks who ported Skullgirls? Will the prototype still come to Linux (and Mac) before the campaign ends? Initially the page said 'in the coming days' but now doesn't mention it at all, which I find a bit worrying. Has development on Linux started at all?
I'm glad you're planning to support Linux, but it would be nice to have a little more information about what to expect - and when to expect it - as a Linux user.

Yes, Linux and Mac are planned to release simultaneously with the Windows and console releases. And we'll have money to actually pay for those ports this time, instead of relying on volunteers.

And we expect to have the Linux prototype out pretty soon, we're just still reliant on volunteers for that. But since they're working off of the Skullgirls Linux port, it's already most of the way there.

Fishious

I asked this earlier in the thread, but I think it got overlooked. Ravidrath, are you guys planning to do add ons for the Indivisible campaign? Is it possible to do with Indiegogo? I've only backed two other projects on the platform so I'm not entirely sure. Many kickstarters allow you to buy extra copies of the game or physical items that you can tack onto any pledge tier. I personally have been trying to spread the word to some of my friends, but I doubt many will back so I wanted to see if it was possible to pay in for extra digital copies.

On the topic of Indiegogo I don't think it was necessarily a bad choice and there's nothing inherently wrong with it, but there are some aspects of it that could be problematic. I'm currently faced with a dilemma because its on Indiegogo vs Kickstarter. I want to back at a higher tier to support the game, and my contribution probably means more early on because people parodoxically like to back a sure thing. So a campaign that has strong funding up front or strong sustained funding has a better chance of succeeding. If this were on Kickstarter I'd up my pledge based on how much money I think I'll have available when the campaign ends. If I'm wrong and come up short due to something unexpected I could reduce it a bit. My understanding with Indiegogo is that I cannot reduce my pledge so I have to carefully consider each time I bump it up. I can wait until the end of the campaign when I know exactly how much cash I'll have to throw around, but by that time my contribution may not be enough to help sustain funding.

Of course I'm not an oil baron so my individual contribution doesn't mean much, but on the larger scale people are probably considering these same issues and taking the wait and see approach. Taking funding up front, which protects you against failed pledges and keeps people from backing out at the last minute is also potentially a disincentive to backers.

Ravidrath

I asked this earlier in the thread, but I think it got overlooked. Ravidrath, are you guys planning to do add ons for the Indivisible campaign?

They don't have add-ons at the time of funding, but we will be fulfilling through BackerKit, which does have add-ons.

I don't intend to instrumentalize the political struggle of marginalized identities in gaming culture, but have you reached out to the platforms promoting diversity? Platforms like FemFrequency, Ineeddiversegames, Invisibility Blues, Not Your Mama's Gamer, Justice Points, SpawnOnMe podcast, stuff like that? Just getting them to talk about the game/prototype might boost funding. The game has some great diversity that needs support, I think.

Yeah if this game needs funding we can also spam them links. Somebody gather them into one post and fans can send out the links.

This still is a 40 day campaign and I'm pretty sure I called it a slog from day 1. Nothing truly worthwhile is ever obtained that easily. Any of you guys who haven't been into SG all that seriously should just be glad that this might be the only bumpy part of Indivisible's history. Skullgirls was one mess after another through no fault of the developer or it's audience.
When I see how this campaign was put together I see it as damn near perfect. I know I'm a fanboy and all, but it's really really well though out. There are pretty much no wasted tiers here (except maybe the 20k tier, but what do I know?). There is a high quality prototype available, the publisher issue is perfectly explained (to the point that almost no one has complained about their involvement), the tiers are spread out very nicely with almost no limited tiers under the $1000 mark and a ton of information about how the game will play out is in plain view for all to see. The platforming aspects, potential turn-less battle system (thank you 40% damage inducing axe) and inner world system are all looking as amazing as the actual turn based system that feels far more action heavy than most people expected it to.
I was thinking it would be more of an honor to be contacted by the developers themselves or something along those lines. But yeah, I have tried to tweet at them but without any response.
Yeah, I see what you mean.

ricki42

Yes, Linux and Mac are planned to release simultaneously with the Windows and console releases. And we'll have money to actually pay for those ports this time, instead of relying on volunteers.

And we expect to have the Linux prototype out pretty soon, we're just still reliant on volunteers for that. But since they're working off of the Skullgirls Linux port, it's already most of the way there.

Thanks for the information! I'm looking forward to playing the prototype!

They don't have add-ons at the time of funding, but we will be fulfilling through BackerKit, which does have add-ons.

If you have time could you explain this in more detail please? If there was an option to add one more plush or something I might in addition to my tier.

Fishious

Thank you. I'll probably grab a few copies that way then. Unfortunately that does nothing to help you reach the goal right now. So, any idea what size the giclee print will be or what art will be featured on it? I can definitely do $250 if it's something really cool looking. I might have a little more money than that to throw around by the time the campaign ends, but I doubt I can justify moving up to the next tier since it's double that.

Hey Ravi, any possibility of allowing paypal contributions even after the IGG campaign is over? This is regardless of whether you guys hit your goal with IGG.

Lime

If you have time could you explain this in more detail please? If there was an option to add one more plush or something I might in addition to my tier.

It means that after the campaign has ended you will have the option to add funds and other tiers to your account on the website backerkit.com

It's here. Mostly he's known for covering Smash stuff, but he does other stuff too.

edit: oh lol

Don't hate on the Trapezoid Box Top™!!

Because the curve that they have so far, with the goal that they have set, is the curve of a project that does not fund.
Well I mean, anything can still happen. It's the early part of October, and I guess IGG itself might be an issue b/c of the joke of disaster that was the Retro VGS campaign (that shouldn't affect this game's one in a just world but that's not the kind of world we live in sadly). I myself will donate maybe a week or so from now and can hopefully get some folks to do the same, tho I'm nowhere near any sort of influential figure.

That said I wonder if the team is reaching out to anime and manga communities. There's a lot of crossover w/ them and JRPG-style games, action-orientated or not.

Ravidrath

Hey Ravi, any possibility of allowing paypal contributions even after the IGG campaign is over? This is regardless of whether you guys hit your goal with IGG.

We can open up to direct PayPal contributions, but IGG now lets you keep your campaign open indefinitely after it's over, which... I hope would be adequate? Because that would track all the shipping info, etc. for us instead of having to do it manually, which tends to be error prone.

We can open up to direct PayPal contributions, but IGG now lets you keep your campaign open indefinitely after it's over, which... I hope would be adequate? Because that would track all the shipping info, etc. for us instead of having to do it manually, which tends to be error prone.
See, that's the kind of thing that probably makes people kind of wary of IGG over Kickstarter

Ravidrath

See, that's the kind of thing that probably makes people kind of wary of IGG over Kickstarter

Why would supporting slacker backers natively on their platform be seen as a bad thing, again?

It makes everything clearer and easier for both backers and crowdfunders.

Moonlight

Banned
Why would supporting slacker backers natively on their platform be seen as a bad thing, again?

I think he means that people won't see the deadline as urgent, so won't feel the project needs their money within the timeframe? I don't think that's a widely known feature of IGG in the first place, though.

And I mean, ignoring that it's fixed funding.

Crocodile

I think the part that poster isn't aware of is that said option only opens up if the campaign gets funded.

Hmm, I don't like the switch from Valkyrie Profile's turn based combat to this ATB style system where you attack after a gauge fills up. It was nice in VP having things a bit slower paced so you could plan out attacks.

Top Bottom