• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

Sorry that I've been so negative. I've been nothing but positive on Twitter (multiple links to the campaign & even pinged Kat Bailey at USGamer since I know Valkyrie Profile is one of her all-time favorite games), but figured I could talk shop here. I really like discussing crowdfunding efforts, both the good and the ugly, and even wrote a weekly Kickstarter article for several months back before I started to grow tired of the lack of interesting projects (last year was really slow).

If I had the money to publish this game, I would in a heartbeat. I know they know how to make quality games and that's enough for me. Since I'm not a big publisher but a starving indie, about all I can do is hope that the quality of the playable prototype means that a slow but steady march to victory is possible.
It's okay, man. Your post almost made me feel like Skullgirls really DID get major support from the fighting game "community". I've been playing fighters more seriously (mostly online, but I have gone to some locals here in NYC) since BlazBlue CT which came out in 2008. This "community" is more like a collection of scenes tolerating each other more than working with one another and Skullgirls had to crawl and claw it's way up to 2nd Encore on PS4. Trust me when I say that the FGC hasn't been a major supporter, but more like a mildly interested party at best in this game's total support base. Between 3D, Capcom, Anime and the NRS communities we're constantly at each other throats most of the time (the exceptions being the first 2-3 months of a game's release and even Skullgirls had no reprieve here).
Would love that, but GB can be awfully finicky about what they play and don't.

I'm honestly surprised more publications aren't picking this up just for the pricetag and prototype alone.
I hope they put start putting out lots of articles in these next 2 weeks or so. This year we've heard nothing but requests for more female and minority representation in video games and Indivisible is bringing those by the truckload. No one but you guys could also handle all this diversity with more technically impressive art to boot.
I really don't see how the pitch could have been better. Excellent build-up, complete transparency, realistic goals, publisher backing, and a freaking playable prototype of very high quality. You might criticize indiegogo as a platform and mindshare, but Lab Zero has hit all the right notes.

The prototype also puts the game in the hands of all the Lets Play YouTube personalities. Imagine if pewdiepie or sterling or someone else with a large following picked it up and signal boosted it.
Yeah, this campaign was well done. I expected nothing less after the Skullgirls Indiegogo. Anyone could look at that and learn important lessons. It shows in the transparency of the current budget situation, the development of a full fledged prototype (simulating a "complete" Skullgirls in the Indiegogo), the great number of unlimited tiers (the SG IGG had a TON of issues with initial tiers disappearing fast) and how nicely all the physical perks are spaced throughout the tiers. In the Skullgirls campaign I didn't get a physical game or soundtrack, but here I get BOTH with the same contribution amount I gave for the SG IGG. People who've said this project would have great chances on KS versus IGG are right. This is definitely a well done campaign.
If only we had the money to pay for that kind of coverage. But we spent it making a prototype for the public, instead. :p
I would hope that Indiegogo is pulling out all the stops and making some more to pull out just for this campaign. Lab Zero certainly has more to lose, but I honestly don't see another million dollar campaign coming their way without your success. I would imagine that a successful Indivisible campaign will do wonders for Indiegogo in terms of attracting larger and more viable video game campaigns than they've currently got.

Hi Ravi, was just wondering if you are offering other funding options like paypal payments directly to Lab Zero? I realize there is little effective difference since Indiegogo defaults to paypal, but more options might get more people who otherwise wouldn't fund this.

Also, wishing you guys the very best of luck! You have no idea how much I want this game.

Busaiku

Keep Skullgirls Growing got a huge boost from the Evo fundraising.
Mike was worrying about people blowing their money on that instead of the actual campaign, but it got a lot of people talking about the game in general.

jb1234

I'm going to try to advertise this game as much as I can to my friends (until they get sick of me :p). About to play the prototype.

I will make sure to include this in my Monthly Kickstarter Picks Article (Yes your Indiegogo....but I'm not renaming this after two years!), which should get somewhere between 2,500-7,000 views if the previous two articles to go by.

I really hope IGG leans as hard in for you fine folks as possible---that they have the opportunity to go from something of a poorly crafted trainwreck like the Retro VGS just a short while back...to the finely wrought likes of this to elevate the platform anew? They'd be insane not to go all the way and then some!

I'm guessing there's something of an "Agreement" on KS as far as not stumping for IGG stuff? Lord knows some or all of the heavy hitters being able to, and choosing so, as far as giving a shoutout would do wonders. Joe Mad on Battlechasers would probably be all over this given how each of your projects are drawing from the same pristine wellspring essentially.

bon

Will physical copies of the game be available for purchase after it comes out, or are they a backer-only thing?

Firebrand

Looks really cool (very minor nitpick: the caster girl's idle animation looks ridiculously exaggerated :p). Some great artwork on that campaign page.

Gonna try the prototype. Bit confused about the battles though, in the video some combat takes place directly on the field like an action game and some in a limited area as a party?

Looks really cool (very minor nitpick: the caster girl's idle animation looks ridiculously exaggerated :p). Some great artwork on that campaign page.

Gonna try the prototype. Bit confused about the battles though, in the video some combat takes place directly on the field like an action game and some in a limited area as a party?

The field battles happen if enemies are significantly weaker than you so as to save time. Stronger enemies have the standard party battles.

I really hope IGG leans as hard in for you fine folks as possible---that they have the opportunity to go from something of a poorly crafted trainwreck like the Retro VGS just a short while back...to the finely wrought likes of this to elevate the platform anew? They'd be insane not to go all the way and then some!

I'm guessing there's something of an "Agreement" on KS as far as not stumping for IGG stuff? Lord knows some or all of the heavy hitters being able to, and choosing so, as far as giving a shoutout would do wonders. Joe Mad on Battlechasers would probably be all over this given how each of your projects are drawing from the same pristine wellspring essentially.
I've seen Kickstarters give shoutouts to IGG games

Post of positivity!

Factors in favor of Indivisible being successful:
High quality prototype encourages viral marketing & fan creation.
Legendary, respected Japanese composer.
Little competition in the Valkyrie Profile-like sub-genre; fans have been waiting for a worthy successor for years.
Indiegogo encouraged to help market to give their platform a win.
Lab Zero has some of the best 2D artists in the business.
Lab Zero has done a major successful crowdfunding in the past and delivered the game promised.
High transparency & general nice guy attitudes from the developers.

I don't want to sound like a debbie downer here, but I have to ask. What if you guys aren't able to make your goal? Would the project be completely dropped or will you try to crowd fund it another time later?

Miker

Backed at the $30 tier, which is all I can spare right now. I really, really, really hope this makes the goal.

I don't want to sound like a debbie downer here, but I have to ask. What if you guys aren't able to make your goal? Would the project be completely dropped or will you try to crowd fund it another time later?
Similarly, I'm curious if you'd try Kickstarter if the IGG fails

Ravidrath

Similarly, I'm curious if you'd try Kickstarter if the IGG fails

It's definitely crossed my mind, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

We still have a few tricks up our sleeve.

Gbraga

Playing the Prototype right now, loving it so far! The music fits the setting so well!

My only minor complaint about it would be the way button placement works on-screen. First thing I did was remapping attack to O, but when the shaman girl joined the party (which just happened, so forgive me for not remembering her name right now >_< ), I get confused all the time. Especially since O was working for Ajna just fine so far.

Will map it to square again and try to get used to the default way.

Ravidrath

And this!

http://www.destructoid.com/skullgir...7.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Glad people sent them all those tips.

Playing the Prototype right now, loving it so far! The music fits the setting so well!

My only minor complaint about it would be the way button placement works on-screen. First thing I did was remapping attack to O, but when the shaman girl joined the party (which just happened, so forgive me for not remembering her name right now >_< ), I get confused all the time. Especially since O was working for Ajna just fine so far.

Will map it to square again and try to get used to the default way.

Glad you enjoyed it!

And, yeah, we're a little surprised that's been a recurring complaint. No one we tested with before release had that problem.

The final (or the next prototype, if we're funded) will definitely let you customize that.

jb1234

Just tried the prototype. I really like the controls, the music and the visuals. The battles I'm a bit iffy on. They started out fun but by the second half, enemies had a ridiculous amount of HP and took forever to kill. I really, really hate HP sponges in games like this.

(Of course, it's possible that I really have no clue how to take advantage of this battle system :p)

Ravidrath

Just tried the prototype. I really like the controls, the music and the visuals. The battles I'm a bit iffy on. They started out fun but by the second half, enemies had a ridiculous amount of HP and took forever to kill. I really, really hate HP sponges in games like this.

(Of course, it's possible that I really have no clue how to take advantage of this battle system :p)

I guarantee if you play it again, you'll find that it clicks much better than it did the first time through.

Also, Razmi's down-attack slows the target significantly, giving you more chances to attack and less time defending.

jb1234

I guarantee if you play it again, you'll find that it clicks much better than it did the first time through.

Also, Razmi's down-attack slows the target significantly, giving you more chances to attack and less time defending.

Yup, I'm already on it. And that's a credit to you guys that I'm willing to give it another go. The game just screams fun. I also really like how it quickly introduces new concepts. I imagine that'll be stretched out more in the final game but it works perfectly for a demo/prototype.

The prototype is really fun, and the game feels really responsive. (The animation is as impeccable, like always! Beautifully weighted, but yet still really snappy!) Someone mentioned this earlier, but I was feeling a bit motion sick when running/moving through a level, though I'm not sure what's the exact cause of this.

The soundtrack is still wonderful. I'll definitely be backing this!

Ravidrath

Yup, I'm already on it. And that's a credit to you guys that I'm willing to give it another go. The game just screams fun. I also really like how it quickly introduces new concepts. I imagine that'll be stretched out more in the final game but it works perfectly for a demo/prototype.

This video has some great analysis of the combat, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhpSxv5amQ

The prototype is really fun, and the game feels really responsive. (The animation is as impeccable, like always! Beautifully weighted, but yet still really snappy!) Someone mentioned this earlier, but I was feeling a bit motion sick when running/moving through a level, though I'm not sure what's the exact cause of this.

The soundtrack is still wonderful. I'll definitely be backing this!

Glad you enjoyed it!

DR2K

Banned

Like In VP once you learn how to combo properly the game opens up combat wise.

Dice//

Banned
Yeah, I don't think I figured out how to combo. :p

It was basically just a collision detection system and timing out your attacks properly to maximize damage (since some attacks lifted enemies and others didn't). The added 'gimmick' was the crystals and sphere things that dropped out of enemies (one which would fall for any 'air time' damage you did) which meant additional Party EXP. VP2 was largely the same except now enemy PARTS (arm, shield, head, weapon) could be targeted (and by that I mean you'd hope and try to make an attack land on a certain limb or the enemy weapon) to get unique drops. What was cool is that if you destroyed an enemy weapon then they'd lose their way to attack.

I think (its been a while since i played).

It was super simple but...super effective as far as unique RPG combat goes.

roknin

Will be backing for the digital download next pay-day. Definitely trust LZ to deliver and it looks amazing so far.

That and the campaign is super-upfront.

Is there actually a big discernible difference between the two? (Legitimately asking because I know nothing and have never had to ask this question)

IndieGoGo has a bit more liberal policies. (No need for a prototype, and some projects can be funded even if they don't hit the goal, but this is clearly stated on the pages that choose that option.)

There is a prototype? Will check out later this week probably Friday night.
They released it a day before the campaign officially launched. It worked just fine on windows 7 for me.

http://indivisiblegame.com/
Excellent

Good reading material and more exposure are a nice combo for me. :)

Did you use the Iddhi "supers"? You can use your stored meter (up to three bars) to use powered up attacks. Tundar and Zebei have particularly good abilities for hitting several enemies. The game also becomes A LOT easier when you use Razmi's special healing ability to keep your party healthy. I had similar issues as well, but the game really started clicking with me once I understood how to use the meters effectively (R1+face button for particular character=Super).

Moonlight

Banned
Hey Ravi, how is character progression handled? I recall reading there won't be xp
Character Progression

While Indivisible will have an experience points system, our goal is to never require grinding to advance or enjoy the game. Progression will be about giving you more tools to work with, rather than just more power.

Stat bonuses from leveling up will be relatively small, while upgrades from weapons and armor will be significant. Additionally, characters will learn their other directional attacks as you level, make them more flexible and giving you more combat options as you advance through the game.

The primary stats that will level up based on experience will be HP and action charge speed. Damage will increase for all party members based on the number of Incarnations Ajna collects, while upgrading your weapons will give you more attacks. Similarly, Armor upgrades will be powerful and noticeable.

Weapon and armor upgrades aren’t purchased with money, but will require Ajna to find items in the exploration part of the game, as well as complete a short quest with the Blacksmith or Armorer in her Inner Realm.

Quonny

I don't back games without an early bird special, but this looks great and I hope you get your goal. I told a few friends and my brother about it.

Gbraga

Is there a particular reason why the momentum isn't preserved when simply jumping from one platform to another? It's a bit jarring to dash, wall jump and all the fast stuff, then you jump from one platform to another and you're back to starting speed. Missed some jumps because I just assumed I would be faster than I was.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Is the boss fight against that thing with a face inside another face winnable? I'm getting torn apart by that thing.

Ravidrath

Is the boss fight against that thing with a face inside another face winnable? I'm getting torn apart by that thing.

Very much so.

If you're struggling early on, save meter for Razmi's heal super and blocking.

Razmi' down-attack stacks twice and has a powerful slow effect on it, giving you more time to attack and less time defending / taking damage.

jb1234

Did you use the Iddhi "supers"? You can use your stored meter (up to three bars) to use powered up attacks. Tundar and Zebei have particularly good abilities for hitting several enemies. The game also becomes A LOT easier when you use Razmi's special healing ability to keep your party healthy. I had similar issues as well, but the game really started clicking with me once I understood how to use the meters effectively (R1+face button for particular character=Super).

Yup! Went through the game a second time and spamming that heal move really worked wonders with the boss. I also found the up arrow attacks with all the characters far more effective than the rest and mostly just used those. Had fun!

I love how the boss battle theme channels the Mana Beast battle music.

Top Bottom