• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous Demo Impressions

JoJo13

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Spent some more time just playing around with blowing shit up between missions, and the lighting really stands out as a genuine graphical strength of this game. I hope the majority of the game takes place during the night.

0_o

I agree with you on the first point. Most sandbox games (sans GTA4) don't even feature dynamic shadows.

But I find the night time to be less impressive than the day time since you don't get to see those dynamic shadows in action as much.

But the lighting definitely is good, especially when shit is blowing up all around you and you're firing off electricity. Your character lights up, the environment lights up. They really did a great job making your powers look and feel like you can do some serious damage to the environments.

Shawsie64

Banned
JoJo13 said:
0_o

I agree with you on the first point. Most sandbox games (sans GTA4) don't even feature dynamic shadows.

But I find the night time to be less impressive than the day time since you don't get to see those dynamic shadows in action as much.

But the lighting definitely is good, especially when shit is blowing up all around you and you're firing off electricity. Your character lights up, the environment lights up. They really did a great job making your powers look and feel like you can do some serious damage to the environments.

Not to mention the lightning storm! that thing is nuts! whole environment goes black apart from your lightning raining hell from the sky above :D

RoboPlato said:
It doesn't go up until a week before the game comes out. The only thing that's coming soon is the IGN review at noon.

Yeah, but they let Official Threads go live two weeks before for some of the more highly anticipated games. Also, this:

Loudninja said:
Ok CHRP718 said its going up tonight.

If I had to guess, i'd say at 12 PST perhaps?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
iamcool388 said:
Yeah, but they let Official Threads go live two weeks before for some of the more highly anticipated games. Also, this:

If I had to guess, i'd say at 12 PST perhaps?
Sorry, my mistake then. He's probably just putting some finishing touches on it and it'll just go up when it's ready. I also thought that there were still 3 weeks until the game came out. Didn't realize what date it was.

Nightz

Just beat the game a little while ago. The last boss was insanely difficult on Hard...I think it took me 10+ tries to beat him, but it was quite satisfying when I did. With the way the ending went, I think it's safe to assume that a part 2 will be coming. :D

In case people were wondering, after the credits you're put into a free play mode where you can go around to explore and collect all the stuff you haven't collected. I'm gonna try to get a bunch of trophies unlocked before starting my bad guy playthrough.

JoJo13

Banned
Nightz said:
Just beat the game a little while ago. The last boss was insanely difficult on Hard...I think it took me 10+ tries to beat him, but it was quite satisfying when I did. With the way the ending went, I think it's safe to assume that a part 2 will be coming. :D

In case people were wondering, after the credits you're put into a free play mode where you can go around to explore and collect all the stuff you haven't collected. I'm gonna try to get a bunch of trophies unlocked before starting my bad guy playthrough.

how long did it take you to beat, also (without spoiling) how are the boss battles in the game? how was the story and comic book cutscenes?

Nightz

JoJo13 said:
how long did it take you to beat, also (without spoiling) how are the boss battles in the game? how was the story and comic book cutscenes?
There's no clock in the game telling you how much time you've played, but I would say somewhere around the 20 hour range, give or take a few hours. There's not that many boss battles in the game at all (
just 3, one for each island
). Since I was playing on hard I died quite a few times, but once you recognize the patterns, it's not that bad. The comic cutscenes were great, very well done. I don't think I would have enjoyed the campaign as much if the story was told with the in-game engine. The story was good, but it does leave a few questions, which will probably get answered in the sequel.

Teknoman

Demo is awesome. One thing about it is that you really have to keep on the move when fighting enemies. Staying in one spot, even under cover, seems like a bad idea.

And I know this has probably been brought up before but... 2 superpowered freeroamers in one summer? Will Prototype even get a demo?

JoJo13

Banned
Nightz said:
There's no clock in the game telling you how much time you've played, but I would say somewhere around the 20 hour range, give or take a few hours. There's not that many boss battles in the game at all (
just 3, one for each island
). Since I was playing on hard I died quite a few times, but once you recognize the patterns, it's not that bad. The comic cutscenes were great, very well done. I don't think I would have enjoyed the campaign as much if the story was told with the in-game engine. The story was good, but it does leave a few questions, which will probably get answered in the sequel.

sounds great! I was hoping the storyboard cutscenes would manage to do a very good job at telling the story (i agree, the in-game cutscene approach would be horrible for this game) and yes @ the idea of a sequel! I'm all for it even after just playing the demo a bajillion times.

there's a whole lot of potential with this potential series and the rest of Sony's devs aren't really focusing on this genre. Win, win, I say.

comrade

Teknoman said:
Demo is awesome. One thing about it is that you really have to keep on the move when fighting enemies. Staying in one spot, even under cover, seems like a bad idea.

And I know this has probably been brought up before but... 2 superpowered freeroamers in one summer? Will Prototype even get a demo?
I really hope Prototype gets a demo. If it doesn't I'll probably GameFly it down the road instead of a day 1 purchase.

I would appreciate if someone could answer those two questions:

1. In the sewers do you have somehow to watch out for all the water? (as Cole get's electrified when he steps in the pool in the park)

2. If you play as bad guy do you also fight "good" guys (some military perhaps), or is it those hooded Reapers all the way?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Cool inFamous press kit just turned up

infamous1.jpg

infamous2.jpg

infamous3.jpg

infamous4.jpg

deepbrown

comrade said:
I really hope Prototype gets a demo. If it doesn't I'll probably GameFly it down the road instead of a day 1 purchase.
No demo for Prototype.

I wasn't sold on the protecting the Medical crate mission, or even the train mission - they seemed really lame. I'm more looking forward to the missions where you use more platforming.

deepbrown

I think Cole's comicbook design is way better than his ingame design.

My pack is 0783/2800

It's a collector's item...time to ebay :p JOKE.

Sin

deepbrown said:
Is it a different demo then? Ie. not just the build but the content.

You mean from the retail release?

Content wise they should be the same, there are quite a few missing effects and optimizations though.

deepbrown

Sin said:
You mean from the retail release?

Content wise they should be the same, there are quite a few missing effects and optimizations though.
But they're saying the press demo is shorter...so I'm guessing it's a different demo. I'll try it later.

PS. have we seen these gameplay videos? http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/new-infamous-gameplay-footage-karma-powerups-the-streets-$1295023.htm

In the following gameplay videos you'll get a glimpse of the game's Karma system: all of your actions will be monitored to see how Cole is perceived by the people in Empire City, with there being direct consequences to your moral decisions at pivotal moments in the game's story.

The second video will give you an idea of how Cole's super powers will evolve based on the decisions you make: your behaviour gives you access to different power upgrades.

The last video shows one of the game's missions, Terrorised Streets, which sees Cole battle maniacs who have outfitted city buses with automatic weapons.

truth-lasers said:
You get other parts by holding down a button while the game loads:

Reaper Boss (hold X)
TStreets (hold circle)
Jail (hold triangle)
That's just the press demo right? If so, that's cool. Looking forward to giving it a go.

deepbrown said:
That's just the press demo right? If so, that's cool. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Yeah, I got that package a couple of weeks ago. Was cónfused when the demo was extremely short. I recieved a email from Nordisk Film (Sony distributor in Sweden) a day later that informed me about the other parts of the demo and how to access them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I played the demo again...
Yeah day one, its so fun. I love just to climb stuff :lol
Im pretty sure that inFAMOUS will be one of the best games on the PS3 library.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have to admit, after spending more time with the demo, I'm really impressed by this game. Sandbox games have been leaving me cold as of late so my expectations were not high. The speed and quality of the controls really makes this game a LOT of fun to play. Even facing off against a horde of enemies is a blast thanks to the options the game provides you with. The way you can move around the city is absolutely brilliant as well. There's an element of fun and excitement from simply making your way around the world that is lacking in most sandbox games.

I also think it looks pretty nice overall. The visuals are jaggy, sure, but the detail level is high. If you stop and look at the textures you'll see that they are all very high-res for a game like this. The lighting and shadows are also very good while the framerate stays pretty solid for the most part. It still drops below 30 fps, but it feels much more consistent than most sandbox titles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I actually wish there was an option to move the camera a bit closer to Cole at times. There's obviously a lot of work put into making the character model look good from behind, but you can barely see it.

Thrakier

Jinfash said:
awww :(

Was kinda hoping that this would be another Motorstorm PR case where we'd get a slightly upgraded build in the final game.

ARGH. There is no such thing as a "Motorstorm PR case" - the motorstorm demo was FINAL code! It's just the lighting setting which they chose for the track that looked flat.

deepbrown

truth-lasers said:
Yeah, I got that package a couple of weeks ago. Was cónfused when the demo was extremely short. I recieved a email from Nordisk Film (Sony distributor in Sweden) a day later that informed me about the other parts of the demo and how to access them.
Cool. Look forward to it.

Sin

deepbrown said:
But they're saying the press demo is shorter...so I'm guessing it's a different demo. I'll try it later.

Oh you mean the demo given as a pre-order bonus.

Yes, its different from it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Thrakier said:
ARGH. There is no such thing as a "Motorstorm PR case" - the motorstorm demo was FINAL code! It's just the lighting setting which they chose for the track that looked flat.

Whether there was a Motorstorm case or not, there's nothing wrong with wishing that a demo of any game could be from a slightly old build.

Chill brah.

Shurs

Thrakier said:

I thought the HUD was different in the demo. I could be wrong .

N30RYU

Will lighbolts (normal shooting) consume Cole's energy in the final version?... is not consuming energy in the demo cause is at level 3?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
deepbrown said:
I think Cole's comicbook design is way better than his ingame design.

Seconded for truth. Why did they give his in-game model a beard when the cut-scene model doesn't have one?

deepbrown

luxarific said:
Seconded for truth. Why did they give his in-game model a beard when the cut-scene model doesn't have one?
I think his face is different too, and he looks ginger. Nothing wrong with that! But, it's just different.

comrade

deepbrown said:
No demo for Prototype.

I wasn't sold on the protecting the Medical crate mission, or even the train mission - they seemed really lame. I'm more looking forward to the missions where you use more platforming.
That kind of sucks but is kind of good at the same point. I really need to buy tires for my car ($800 at dealer cost) and I keep spending 70$ on games. Without a demo to push me over a definitive day 1 purchase I'll just wait the few days for GameFly.

Gantz

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
I love Amazon. Already cheap price for Infamous of $54 + Goldbox discount + ECA discount = $46 and Release Date Delivery.

How do you get the goldbox and ECA discount?

Loudninja

deepbrown said:
No demo for Prototype.

What are you talking about? You can do alot of platforming in those missions you can approach these missions in many different ways.

deepbrown said:
No demo for Prototype.

Back up a second. No demo for Prototype? I thought a demo was already confirmed?

Loudninja said:
What are you talking about? You can do alot of platforming in those missions you can approach these missions in many different ways.

Yeah, but the mission isn't designed around it. Compared to that bridge footage we've have seen, or that crazy scrapheap tower, the platforming is more of means to an end.

deepbrown

Loudninja said:
Well yeah - but I didn't think it was aimed at it. What I'm hoping for is the missions directly targeting the platforming. That mission was directly targetting 'kill these guys while you protect this box'

AltogetherAndrews said:
Back up a second. No demo for Prototype? I thought a demo was already confirmed?
I watched an interview saying there was no demo for Prototype - maybe it was an old one..

Top Bottom