• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son Review Thread

Sean

Banned
I still remember when the Gaf MEGATON Bomb dropped when Zelda got an 8.8
Most hilarious review thread ever

The meltdowns over that Twilight Princess 8.8 review will probably never be topped.

HFt8k.png

2022216-o0wri.png

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This post is why we can't have nice things. You have never played the game and are saying it should be lower based on what you have seen?

what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png

It's sad but I actually agree with you.

Some people just wait for reviews to tell them how to feel and they had hardly any intent. Some had some intent and let others do their buying for them instead of making their own mind up.

Nif

Well. I'm sorry but it really seems that Sony's scores always seems lower than they should be and Microsoft's often higher.

Its not just on games released lately either. Its been this way for years now. Look I've owned all the systems this gen, last gen and the gen before and IMO Sony always get the shaft when it comes to reviews.

I play games on all systems and their games definitely deserve better.

When every room you walk into smells like shit, odds are it's not the room that smells.

chris smoove already doing an LP on it, was too scared to look at the thumbnails for spoilers no matter how minuscule lol. 4 more hours left.

The meltdowns over that Twilight Princess 8.8 review will probably never be topped.

LOL wow!
"Let's make a list of the food Jeff Gerstmann eats daily. FAT MAN"

"Jeff is responsible for Black Plague, Pearl Harbor, Cuban Missle Crisis, Aids, etc."

people on the internet are hilarious.

and incredibly stupid.

Man, I hope to be around Gaf long enough to see a decent meltdown.

My favourite so far was when Tomb Raider was 60fps on the PS4 and 30fps on the Xbox One. Ah, that thread was absolutely hilarious.

Gammacide

The reviews seem about right. I've always had fun with the inFamous games but they've never blown me away so I feel like 8s are fair. I'll likely have fun with SS too, but I am not expecting anything too groundbreaking in terms of next-gen gameplay (partly because I am not sure exactly what that means to me at the moment, partly because with a first outing on a new console devs can't stray that far from the previous winning fomula).

Great trend about these reviews is that there are no "bad" reviews. It's mostly 8s, a nice chunk of 9s, with only a handful of 7s.

Exactly and this would be just fine for reviews of anything else, but video games have to be 9+ in order to be good it seems. The scale might as well be 7 - 10 and just cut the 1 to 6 right out judging by most people's mindsets.

Phlebas

Banned

Must have been a graveyard that day.

I don't get why people overreact over Review scores.

Although we wouldn't have that amazing Uncharted 3 thread.

I made my decision after seeing the first impressions from Gaffers with early copies.

I expected higher scores but you can't please everyone.

jayu26

Seems accurate. Wish you could steal cars though.
Crackdown and Saints row 4 got it right

Fuckin' tired of this argument. Why would want to drive cars, when you can do this...
2450384-2909408753-aghuf.gif

2450386-3559848458-t2fe0.gif

tumblr_mwf3lkkqOe1ry5w61o2_500.gif

I also want know how many people used cars in Saint Row 4 after getting superpowers?

Fuckin' tired of this argument. Why would want to drive cars, when you can do this...
2450384-2909408753-aghuf.gif

2450386-3559848458-t2fe0.gif

tumblr_mwf3lkkqOe1ry5w61o2_500.gif

I also want know how many people used cars in Saint Row 4 after getting superpowers?

For the record I do my share of car surfing. Monorail is a nice relaxed way to get around fast too.

Moneal

Because cars are literally useless when you have superpowers that can make you fly and run very fast. I only used a car once in Saints Row 4.

Exactly, didn't use a car outside of the tutorial missions in SR4. It was faster and more fun to run and jump everywhere, once the powers opened up.

Ryu751

Banned
Why do ppl keep saying this...some sites gave this game a 9.5 out of 10...I don't understand???? I thought everyone would be happy with these reviews they are awesome!! I'm sure sucker punch is. It isn't that far away from the most hyped game this year and sales will probably hit a million...man I thought gaf was playststion nAtion???! We don't get botherd by what critics say...we go and play the games that matter! Critics would right off demons souls when it was one of the best games of this gen. Everyone was talking about Mario galaxy when ratchet and clank ACIT was absolutely fantastic! We define our own meta scores! We are the real power because our money is what funds sequels and studios! Stand up and take pride, our collective voice is bigger than any review site! People looking at infamous being streamed are blown away! I don't give a fook what Adam sessler and his low dexterity skills have to say lol...

Huh I don't think you read my post correct. Never cared for scores I read reviews to see if the flaws are ones important to me. What Adam looks for in a game his review totally backs up. Lucky the things he didn't care for are not important to me.

Dremark

Banned
LOL wow!
"Let's make a list of the food Jeff Gerstmann eats daily. FAT MAN"

"Jeff is responsible for Black Plague, Pearl Harbor, Cuban Missle Crisis, Aids, etc."

people on the internet are hilarious.

and incredibly stupid.

I'm pretty sure the second one is sarcasm. Or rather I really hope it is.

Infamous doesn't need vehicles in my opinion. That would be a waste of time for the developers and pull the player out of the sense of power. Unless you played a portion at the beginning with no powers or a section where you lose your powers, I think for the most part they would go unused. If Watch_Dogs didn't have vehicles to drive then that would be weird but Aiden Pierce doesn't have powers to get around.

SlickVic

I think the only reason I was a bit letdown by the scores initially is out of all the current gen exclusives that have come out to this point between the PS4 and XBO, Second Son is the first one that has me saying "I'm probably going to need to buy this whenever I get a new console". Nothing from these reviews has swayed me from that opinion, but I guess I just wanted to see higher scores (Metacritic in the 90's), because well, who doesn't want to see a game their looking forward to be critically praised to the highest level?

But truth is, it doesn't really matter to me. I'll look forward to playing the game whenever I buy a PS4, and expect to have a good time with it. I'm glad to hear a lot of places calling it the best of the series, since I enjoyed the first 2 games a good deal as well.

consoul

Having read many of the reviews, let me sum them up:

PROs:
PS4 graphical showcase
Soundtrack

CONS:
Gameplay is more of the same, almost as if this were some kind of sequel.
Except they changed some things, which is apparently bad.

Good job reviewers. Keep it up.

If I'm looking for a game with a city to just play around in, collect things, and generally just screw around, will this do the trick? Never played an Infamous game, but it looks pretty entertaining. I just don't want to do a 6 hour story and be done with it. Crackdown was a lot of fun for me because I could just run around causing havoc and collecting agility orbs

Saints Row 4 better than 3 in every single way.

2>4>3>1

I preferred not having super powers in Saints Row. Traversal of the city became boring when all you had to do was run, jump, glide. Repeat ad nauseum.
I played through both 3 and 4 co-op campaign with a friend, and we were bored half way through 4. Most of the fun in open world games like Saints Row/GTA are the random shenanigans that occur when travelling through the city. Saints Row IV completely eliminated that.
Anyway, getting off topic here...

Vee_One

Jeez. I finally decide to buy the game and all GAF is doing is complaining about a game they never played.

I'm beginning to think GAF doesn't play games anymore, every thread is about sales, resolution, bomba or video game developer HR

EDIT: bought game at lunch, excited to play

Jomjom

Banned
Who the F cares what the score is. The score takes the author all of 2 seconds to give. Why not take the time to actually read the review thats thousands of words long and likely took hours to compose and see if whats descibed fits with your game preferences and annoyances? Basing your decision about a game based on a single number is lazy and you're better than that.

coldone

Where else that anything is rated, except maybe if safety equipment was rated in this fashion, is 8/10 overall considered bad?

COD, Madden all score in the similar range. And millions of people enjoy those games.

Main complaint is content. This is a game a new platform. They probably didnt have time and budget to create side mission stories like GTAV.

Some people really need to calm down about reviews scores. 7 and 8 are supposed to be great scores, it's a scale of 10. Do you feel insecure if a game you love isn't the most rated game ever? Why are you playing games anyway? For the game itself or to show of?

Dragon

Banned
Some people really need to calm down about reviews scores. 7 and 8 are supposed to be great scores, it's a scale of 10. Do you feel insecure if a game you love isn't the most rated game ever? Why are you playing games anyway? For the game itself or to show of?

Some people shouldn't come into a thread where people are complaining about people complaining about review scores and tell them to stop. Most of the legitimate complaints are about the content of the reviews, which is inconsistent to say the least. I don't mean to single you out, you're just the latest person to do that.

I don't think it's really fair to the people who are willing to have a discussion about it to single out the people that care about the metacritic.

Top Bottom