• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
ibrFsLtTAO9RN6.gif

/edit: new address, old image hit traffic limit

Forget xbox one being weaksauce for a second, I just don't get how call of duty isn't 1080p on it...

How?
Ugliest game around by miles, still runs on the old engine... looks like mw3 which will run at 1080p with 4x msaa at 100 fps on a 2010 gpu

how, it makes no sense

Taker34

Banned
So can someone explain me why there's a 4k HDMI cable coming with the Xbone? Is that some kind of joke which I don't get?

Nafai1123

Banned
In all likelihood the Xbox version will have some super sharpening upscaler that makes the PS4 version look blurrier but the Xbox one will be a jagged mess.

Unless they are using some shitty vaseline like FXAA on the PS4 version and not the XBO, this is basically impossible. Pixel perfect is as crisp as it gets.

MarkusRJR

As someone who's buying an Xbone once a Kinect-less model is available, this is worrying for the future of multiplatform titles. I don't particularly give 2 shits about CoD but if this is an indication of how things will be I might reconsider my options (aka PS4).

Is this one real?!!

Please tell me it's a joke.

:p
Haha love this post. It's so amusing to see a billion people asking if these fake DF joke comparisons are legit or not. :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
People, those comparison images are jokes. Come on now.

Not sure we've gotten solid comparison video or screens yet. Hopefully soon with the game out next week...

GodofWine

WHAT THE FUCK SONYGAF YOU GUYS ARE SUCK MP3S ARE GOD HAVE YOU SEEN TITANFALL

To be honest, this confirmation really says more about the resources allocated to this game than the hardware it plays on. This is the biggest franchise in the gaming world, in fact, the biggest franchise in the media world probably. This should be a case of essentially infinite resources.

So you think IW shorted the X1 version time/people?? I doubt it.

By this argument with enough time and people the 360 version would be able to equal the xb1 version...maybe it does..maybe they didnt want to make the xb1 version shine...

whatatwist.bmp

(not serious)

Read this one on the Xbox One IGN forums. LMAO

[quote="Landsharkk][quote="InDaHeezy,]Upscalers match pixel for pixel when sharpening and detailing an image. If done correctly, the image will result in a much better IQ than the original resolution. I'm curious to see how the X1 version stacks up to the PS4 version with the upscaler. I believe this is a good test to determine how powerful the X1 upscaler is. BF4 was upscaled on both consoles to 1080p. With the PS4 version of CoD in native 1080p, I wonder how close can the X1 get being native 720p.[/quote]

THIS!

Again, everyone's jumping on the numbers game but ignoring the final output, how the game actually looks.

Microsoft apparently is able to have developers create the games at lower native resolutions, allowing them to put more into their game, then using the hardware upscaler on the Xbox One to push the resolution to 1080p. The end result is more stuff in the game, better looking end result - BETTER OPTIMIZATION.

This is a good thing! It also helps realize that 4k gaming is very possible with the Xbox One.

How can people see this is as anything other than a positive for the Xbox One?[/quote]

I see what you're saying but he was quite unbearable on Gamespots system wars forum.
So what come on guys, how great would gaf be with him!?!

Imagine the court jester that made fun of the king with impunity. Bish not being able to ban him while he calls us "sonygaf" "popgaf" "xbawwks paparazzi"

gemoran4

People gave mortimer death threats?? That's really pathetic... At the end of the day gaming is a hobby, and doing shit like that over a person on the internet passing along a rumor (which turned out to be true) is completely uncalled for. I'll never understand how nasty and jaded people can be in the gaming community, it's one of the things that's kind of surprised me since i started reading stuff on gaming websites and forums.

That being said, there is a definite Sony bias on Gaf. Not that I have an issue with it, I've really enjoyed the last two sony consoles I've owned (PS3, PS2) and I think outside of the initial issues with the PS3 they've done a fantastic job in terms of business decisions and pleasing their customers. However, the fact is the only real evidence we had about this rumor until Infinity Ward confirmed it was essentially a couple neogaf forum posts. It's fun to speculate but people were a bit too eager to act like this was fact way before we had any official statement or even anything substantial come out (like footage) that would support the validity of the rumor. Which reading the posts from those people felt more like they had an agenda against the Xbox One (probably hoping it would fail as a result of some form of karmic retribution for trying to implement some unfavorable policies) then objectively reacting to the rumor.

Argh... to cancel or keep. DR3, Forza, Ryse and KI look like so much fun, though. But man. $500 for mostly 720p games... hard to justify.

I'm sad.

When all the rumors about this started going around, I questioned my pre order too, but after seeing how little of a difference there was between BF4 on PS4 and XBO, I relaxed. If it really bothers you, switch. If all your friends are getting XBO then why switch? Go where you think you will be happy. I think most members of GAF are really over playing graphical quality in console games. For me, Microsoft has delivered on second party exclusives, and most of my friends will be on XBO.

Perkel

Banned
Yeah, sort of but seemed to me by your answer that I was suggesting I ps4 didn't have the superior textures, resolution AA etc. :)
Have you got a link to were I can see details on the hardware upscaler in the PS4 that has been confirmed on X1?

There isn't any link nor datasheet.

Hardware scaler is such common thing you have it in literary every console and video device even in PS1 or your dvd. Without it your console wouldn't be able to streetch image from its native resolution.

For example if you would have 1600x900 like in BF3 without scaler you would have to play it with black horizontal and vertical bars.

Xbone hardware scaler isn't any magic nor PS4. Because scalers can't make image better they can only stretch image ti fill screen.

They include scalers in consoles because some older TV and monitors don't have scalers of their own or they have shitty old scalers.

Man, I dont even know which is worse for MS. The fact that CoD runs at 720p or the fact that X1 has just become the console that cant even run a CoD game @ anything more than 720p. Surely the latter is way more damaging to its reputation.

lucius

At one point I remember somone at MS took the stance power doesn't matter which they should have stayed with because it's true they can be successful and even win without more power it's been proven. They never really should have started pushing that BS about infinite power of Cloud, at least they stopped with that, but they started with that Balance crap that Digital Foundry was more than happy to write articles about. They all just look worse now, I am sure One games will look fine just don't try to sell that there isn't a power difference with the machine it can't even render the same resolution to keep up in many games.

So pushing to 60FPS killed the 1080p on Xbox? Crazy to see how good Ryse and NBA2K look (Ryse at 30FPS/900p, NBA at 1080p/60FPS) yet CoD looks ugly and has a lower resolution (even with the 60fps). Battlefield looks better on XBO than CoD, i don't get what CoD and IW are doing with the Xbox version...

60fps is much more demanding than a measly ~30fps that Ryse has. Battlefield 4 just has better devs and/or engines.

Top Bottom