• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 Roster Discussion & Speculation Thread

Xevren

My only problem with Black Adam is his Richard Nixon looking face. Cape looks great and I like the effects on his specials now a lot.

Every time i see Black Adam i get reminded that Joe Pesci made it into the game as a guest character.
197cef933d137208670d6d1f26eb58b3.jpg

AdaWong

Who is your top visually designed ...
returning character?
Harley Quinn

new character?
Poison Ivy

Who is your worst designed ...
returning character?
Green Arrow

new character?
Firestorm

What character has the best intro animation...
Black Canary

What character has the worst intro animation...
Superman

What character has surprised you once you saw their trailer/breakdown stream?
Poison Ivy

What character has disappointed you once you saw their trailer/breakdown stream?
Poison Ivy lol

Tyaren

Aren't the characters supposed to be somewhat older in the game's storyline/universe?

I think he looks good he is just older, nothing wrong with that.

Plus it's triggering me because somehow Black Adam is better than Superman to you. And I'm like "yeah nice trolling dude".

I don't think age has anything to do with it. Superman could be 60+ years in this game for all I care. It's just that his facial features are imo too soft, round and thus generic. He looks like a handsome guy...but a very regular handsome guy.
Superman was and is however always depicted with very distinct facial features. In the comics he has a sharply cut, angular jawline, that exudes strength and authority:

superman-face-those-batman-v-superman-rumors-faked-by-warner-bros-600x450.jpeg

Clark_Kent_004-780x407.jpg

1884-superman-face.jpg

21807750._SY540_.jpg

For his real life film version they also tend to go for men with a strong, angular jawline:

Superman-List.jpg

superman-the-movie-1978-photo-01-630-thumb-860xauto-39193.jpg

4a1a63116b0b6.jpg

hoechlin.jpg

I do work as an illustrator, comic artist and character designer, so I do watch out for little but imo very important details like that.

Here I tried to quickly adjust the current Superman model a bit more into the direction of what I personally think would be more fitting for him.

(Best open each image in a new browser tap and click back and forth for a direct comparison.)

Original:
33587808223_3a43fe96ba_o.jpg

Edited by me:
34267161221_bf721eca31_o.jpg

They probably should add some eye lashes to the male characters. It would help to make the eyes appear a bit more prominent and expressive within the faces.

His profile shows imo another flaw of his model. His neck appears too thin and the back of his head too round. Superman always had more of a bull neck, again exuding strength and authority. Which is exactly what turned-evil Superman should do, right?

Original:
34267158311_8d23ab5905_o.jpg

Edited by me:
34267158901_0ab41d1723_o.jpg

Yeah, you may like my adjustments or not. I think he looks more like Superman that way. The current game model isn't really bad or anything though. It could just be tweaked a little. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it. ;)

Regarding Black Adam: I didn't say he was "better" than Superman, but I think he has at least more distinctive facial features. Yeah, he isn't what you would call a handsome bloke, but in contrast to Superman he feels pretty unique looking with his very pronounced widows peak and the large hook nose.

Please excuse my long ass rambling, lol. It was fun to digitally tweak Superman a little. ;)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I was just thinking today all the faces in Injustice 2 look a lot softer, wider, and rounder than the same character in the original game. I wonder if there's something going on with their facial mocap solution or the mocap actors involved.

The facial animations and lip synching are far more sophisticated now, but perhaps there was a tradeoff with losing more exaggerated faces which highlight the traditional character traits.

Veedot

Who is your top visually designed ...
returning character?
As much as I hate him Cyborg looks great in this game

new character?
Swamp Thing looks perfect

Who is your worst designed ...
returning character?
Black Adam looks like a grumpy old uncle, it hurts me because hes such a cool character.

new character?
Capt Cold, not the worst thing but kind of generic looking at a glance.

What character has the best intro animation...
I have to view them all again but i enjoyed Supergirls

What character has the worst intro animation...
Need to see them all again but im just going to throw out bane for now because I assume its average.

What character has surprised you once you saw their trailer/breakdown stream?
Cheetah looks really fun

What character has disappointed you once you saw their trailer/breakdown stream?
Firestorm by a mile

DrBo42

I don't think age has anything to do with it. Superman could be 60+ years in this game for all I care. It's just that his facial features are imo too soft, round and thus generic. He looks like a handsome guy...but a very regular handsome guy.
Superman was and is however always depicted with very distinct facial features. In the comics he has a sharply cut, angular jawline, that exudes strength and authority:

superman-face-those-batman-v-superman-rumors-faked-by-warner-bros-600x450.jpeg

Clark_Kent_004-780x407.jpg

1884-superman-face.jpg

21807750._SY540_.jpg

For his real life film version they also tend to go for men with a strong, angular jawline:

Superman-List.jpg

superman-the-movie-1978-photo-01-630-thumb-860xauto-39193.jpg

4a1a63116b0b6.jpg

hoechlin.jpg

I do work as an illustrator, comic artist and character designer, so I do watch out for little but imo very important details like that.

Here I tried to quickly adjust the current Superman model a bit more into the direction of what I personally think would be more fitting for him.

(Best open each image in a new browser tap and click back and forth for a direct comparison.)

Original:
33587808223_3a43fe96ba_o.jpg

Edited by me:
34267161221_bf721eca31_o.jpg

They probably should add some eye lashes to the male characters. It would help to make the eyes appear a bit more prominent and expressive within the faces.

His profile shows imo another flaw of his model. His neck appears too thin and the back of his head too round. Superman always had more of a bull neck, again exuding strength and authority. Which is exactly what turned-evil Superman should do, right?

Original:
34267158311_8d23ab5905_o.jpg

Edited by me:
34267158901_0ab41d1723_o.jpg

Yeah, you may like my adjustments or not. I think he looks more like Superman that way. The current game model isn't really bad or anything though. It could just be tweaked a little. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it. ;)

Regarding Black Adam: I didn't say he was "better" than Superman, but I think he has at least more distinctive facial features. Yeah, he isn't what you would call a handsome bloke, but in contrast to Superman he feels pretty unique looking with his very pronounced widows peak and the large hook nose.

Please excuse my long ass rambling, lol. It was fun to digitally tweak Superman a little. ;)

Well, yeah. Superman usually has a very light gaunt thing going on in the cheeks. Injustice 2 Superman looks good when his mouth is open as the cheeks sink in and become less round. As seen here:

1487872277Injustice_2_superman.jpg

I would have went further towards Cavill personally. Though a like a bit of happy merge with Alex Ross thrown in like what I was working on in Zbrush.

Still need to do some major work on my poor Wonder Woman but I wish the IJ2 model was more Gal Gadot and less Linda Carter personally

When all is said and done NetherRealm has made a crazy leap in face quality from the past so I can forgive some soft faces here.

I really hope Netherealm has something planned for the next two weeks. I'm running out of youtube footage and I've almost finished almost all the CW shows but Supergirl on Netflix.

sinkfla87

I really hope Netherealm has something planned for the next two weeks. I'm running out of youtube footage and I've almost finished almost all the CW shows but Supergirl on Netflix.

Tyler said on Twitter he's getting ideas together for a stream this week. Definitely not on Wednesday so I suspect Thursday at the earliest. I hope they actually do it :(.

DR2K

Banned
I like that black Adam looks like one of my uncles friends. Especially in a game that features godly looking men like Aquaman and Superman.

Slaythe

I mean, lightning plays a big part.

522a7c252028474e01eeacd4a53be383.jpg

There, closed mouth, still looks good.

And I like your subtle changes to Superman, I'd prefer them, but they're subtle. It doesn't make Superman in the game "bad". Especially not over Black Adam, that could have looked like an Arnold Vosloo instead of whatever we got.

DrBo42

Just put the beta back up for the last week bros.

I mean, lightning plays a big part.

522a7c252028474e01eeacd4a53be383.jpg

There, closed mouth, still looks good.

And I like your subtle changes to Superman, I'd prefer them, but they're subtle. It doesn't make Superman in the game "bad". Especially not over Black Adam, that could have looked like an Arnold Vosloo instead of whatever we got.

Lighting helps but the mask also constrains the edge of the face and draws the eye down. Makes him less round.

Tyler said on Twitter he's getting ideas together for a stream this week. Definitely not on Wednesday so I suspect Thursday at the earliest. I hope they actually do it :(.

Awesome I hope it's premiere skins I wanna see Powergirl even though I've already settled on who my mains will be.

Slaythe

Just put the beta back up for the last week bros.

Lighting helps but the mask also constrains the edge of the face and draws the eye down. Makes him less round.

I'm not saying he's perfect or that he couldn't have been better, I'm just saying he looks good.

Lightning does play a big part (same goes for real life actors that need good lightning :p ), but in most environment he looks pretty cool. I also like most of his animations.

Especially considering how he looked in Injustice 2 before (he went through 2 redesigns unlike most characters that just got one). :p

Now that being said, your models are cool, what are they for ? :D

DrBo42

I'm not saying he's perfect or that he couldn't have been better, I'm just saying he looks good.

Lightning does play a big part (same goes for real life actors that need good lightning :p ), but in most environment he looks pretty cool. I also like most of his animations.

Especially considering how he looked in Injustice 2 before (he went through 2 redesigns unlike most characters that just got one). :p

Now that being said, your models are cool, what are they for ? :D

Sure, yeah. Pretty much all of them look good in Injustice 2.

And thanks, just for personal projects/portfolio stuff I need to finish.

sinkfla87

Awesome I hope it's premiere skins I wanna see Powergirl even though I've already settled on who my mains will be.

What I hope they'll do and actually expect them to do is this:

Week 1:
Go over legacy characters with fewer changes (can skip abilities to save time if they must)
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Black Adam
Aquaman
Cyborg

Week 2:
Joker
Brainiac
Darkseid
And reveal first DLC.

What I hope they'll do and actually expect them to do is this:

Week 1:
Go over legacy characters with fewer changes (can skip abilities to save time if they must)
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Black Adam
Aquaman
Cyborg

Week 2:
Joker
Brainiac
Darkseid
And reveal first DLC.

Put Black Adam on week 2, and I think that is what's more likely.

I do hope we get more Watchtower streams before release, but I don't think we've heard if there will be a Watchtower stream this week, so unless there's a marathon Watchtower stream next week where they show off all the remaining characters, I think we might not get streams of all the remaining characters before release.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I can get the normal edition for about 50 bucks. However.. the ultimate edition seems good value at 9 DLC characters alone, not even mentioning the shaders and premiere skins.

The only thing that's holding me back is the fact that we have no clue as to who the DLC characters end up being and I might end up regretting a few characters on the list. What did MKX's DLC cost individually, 10 a piece I believe?

Ah, difficult decisions.

j.rob

PNDK&M's Scarecrow breakdown made me so excited for this character.

I never was that big of a fan of Scarecrow, but between his design, voice, and playstyle in Injustice 2, he gets me so hype.

sinkfla87

Put Black Adam on week 2, and I think that is what's more likely.

I do hope we get more Watchtower streams before release, but I don't think we've heard if there will be a Watchtower stream this week, so unless there's a marathon Watchtower stream next week where they show off all the remaining characters, I think we might not get streams of all the remaining characters before release.

Yeah 4 and 4 would be more likely due to time constraints. Tyler said on his Twitter that he's getting ideas for a stream but that it won't be on Wednesday. I think if it was next week he would probably say they weren't doing one this week. Before the special streams last week he said as they near launch they're going to keep the streams going, so I fully expect one on Thursday or Friday. If not oh well, only two weeks to go!!! I'm ready for it to fucking come out already, the wait is killing me.

I can get the normal edition for about 50 bucks. However.. the ultimate edition seems good value at 9 DLC characters alone, not even mentioning the shaders and premiere skins.

The only thing that's holding me back is the fact that we have no clue as to who the DLC characters end up being and I might end up regretting a few characters on the list. What did MKX's DLC cost individually, 10 a piece I believe?

Ah, difficult decisions.

They cost five bucks each.

Does anyone know if you can straight up buy shaders with currency from the cash shop or in-game or can you only get them from mother boxes?

Yeah 4 and 4 would be more likely due to time constraints. Tyler said on his Twitter that he's getting ideas for a stream but that it won't be on Wednesday. I think if it was next week he would probably say they weren't doing one this week. Before the special streams last week he said as they near launch they're going to keep the streams going, so I fully expect one on Thursday or Friday. If not oh well, only two weeks to go!!! I'm ready for it to fucking come out already, the wait is killing me.

That's promising, then. Hopefully we get some proper gameplay for these characters that haven't had any yet!

I found out you can buy source crystals with cash and can use them to unlock costumes and premiere skins and to buy transmog tokens. But you can also earn the source crystals in the game like we've seen in the youtube clips from the crappy stream event.

FHIZ

Ares is a waste of a DLC slot. So many great villains not included and he gets in two games.
I agree. Always irked me he was in the first game. He's just not a character unique to DC. I am well aware of his place in various incarnations of Wonder Woman's continuity, but at the end of the day, he's just a Greek god, and he was generically visually interpreted on top of that. Give me actual DC characters.

Did you meter burn that post? Damn dude. Lol.

DCEU sucks it's just like burning trash it takes forever and it stinks. Wonder Woman is two hours and forty-eight minutes long. I don't wanna watch a superhero movie for damn near 3 hours and I don't wanna watch one with a chump villain like Ares.

vg260

Ares is a waste of a DLC slot. So many great villains not included and he gets in two games.

That interview is hardly a confirmation that he'll be back.

Again, he was mostly using Ares as an example of a cut. In interviews, Boon keeps things very close to the vest, and always responds with the "anything's possible" type of answer, regardless of likelihood. His Twitter is a completely different beast.

In this new interview listen to his response when asked about Zatanna, Batgirl, and Starfire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEekfrXBAVU&t=3m40s
He's makes it sound like any of those are possible, when we know the I1 DLC characters are unlikely.

JAXXX

Because of the Wonder Woman movie. You gotta have another character than just "wonder woman".

Wonder Woman does have Cheetah in the game as her nemesis.
To her personal story, Ares is the proper choice but Circe would be a better choice IMO.

Top Bottom