• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the secret world of Nintendo

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Jocchan said:
Before the BS about this picture spreads further:

34eyp02.png

They're the paths followed by 2nd and 3rd place drivers during the ending cutscene.
Thank you for your attention, and have a good day :)

haha. sry for trying to spread that misinformation earlier. But its nice to see that there is at least one man standing his ground :lol
And I help you by quoting your enormously important message on the second page of this thread ;)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh and there must be someone else out there having one of these so-called "Nintendo"-Pamphlets. J-Gaf Students? Anyone? mehdi_san is about to ask whether he can still get the 2010 version of these. Sry for repeating myself but... these Developing concepts are too awesome to miss out >_>

Toma

yencid said:

Care to tell me where its from? The only problem with these concept arts is that they might very well be drawn by someone else and simply titled as such. All the concept art in the OP is confirmed to be real by at least someone who saw it in an official Nintendo document or somewhere as the Iwata asks Interview.

yencid

Toma said:
Care to tell me where its from? The only problem with these concept arts is that they might very well be drawn by someone else and simply titled as such. All the concept art in the OP is confirmed to be real by at least someone who saw it in an official Nintendo document or somewhere as the Iwata asks Interview.
It was posted in that "badass characters thread". I believe its from mario strikers but i really cant confirm.

Penguin

yencid said:
It was posted in that "badass characters thread". I believe its from mario strikers but i really cant confirm.

The designs do match the Strikers series for the most part.

Except don't think Mario is THAT evil looking. :lol

Toma

yencid said:

Thanks. I'll write the poster who first posted the pic. Hopefully he knows where its originally from ;)

Toma said:
It was one of the many concept art leaks from Mario Strikers.

There's one of him in a hoodie, too.

WillyFive

Toma said:

If it's real, it's definitely from the Super Mario Strikers games.

Toma

ShockingAlberto said:
It was one of the many concept art leaks from Mario Strikers.

There's one of him in a hoodie, too.

Ah thanks! If anyone finds the other ones, be sure to post them too :)

Toma

yencid said:
Found some more through google

unseen64

HOLY... Did you actually take another look at this site? They post lots and LOTS of this stuff. Just found one about an item scrapped from Mario 64 and another one with Beta screencaps of New Super Mario Bros.
._.
I was worried before whether there might not be enough of these concept arts, beta things from Nintendo to keep this thread going the next days... oh well.

yencid

Should we also post games that never made it? Project hammer comes to mind.

Toma said:
HOLY... Did you actually take another look at this site? They post lots and LOTS of this stuff. Just found one about an item scrapped from Mario 64 and another one with Beta screencabs of New Super Mario Bros.
._.
I was worried before whether there might not be enough of these concept arts, beta things from Nintendo to keep this thread going the next days... oh well.

Yeap... ive known about unseen64 for a mighty long time now :lol
way before gaf (before knowing of gaf that is)... i just found it one day and bookmarked it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Toma said:
haha. sry for trying to spread that misinformation earlier. But its nice to see that there is at least one man standing his ground :lol
And I help you by quoting your enormously important message on the second page of this thread ;)
Thanks man, much appreciated :D

Toma

yencid said:
Should we also post games that never made it? Project hammer comes to mind.

Sure. Would get its own category in the OP I think.

Sheik790

Guh. Just returned to the world of the conscious. I'll snap some pics of the ZeldaBox book in a few minutes. Yes, I realize it's Late Afternoon :lol

Toma

Sheik790 said:
Guh. Just returned to the world of the conscious. I'll snap some pics of the ZeldaBox book in a few minutes. Yes, I realize it's Late Afternoon :lol

Not for me :D Its getting closer to midnight over here. I am very glad that you guys keep posting these =) This is so awesome. I think I won't update the OP until tomorrow but that shouldnt keep you from posting as people can look through the thread anyway ;)

Sheik790

Alright guys, here's what I've got so far. I'll look through again later and see if I missed anything, Like I said in the other thread, I don't have a scanner, but if anyone wants a better shot of a specific pic I'll do my best :D

Lovely generic cover art. Just in case someone wants to track the book down on Ebay or some such
2namgzs.jpg

Contents page. I dug the four swords backdrop when they used it in game and was happy to see it here.
2w5jdra.jpg

Link concepts!
ie2t7k.jpg

And a more focused shot
fkxgm8.jpg

Some Tetra concepts
2s0o5kk.jpg

Everyone's favorite Big Bad
21dj37k.jpg

Link and 'Dorf
ehabfd.jpg

King Hyrule/Red Lion...not too exciting, but still
2j1k2tf.jpg

Tetra's pirates
1h8c3q.jpg

And a storyboard like panel of link battle moblins
2804kli.jpg

And that's all I've got for now!

Wii try to take photos for tomorrow of the Mario galaxy artworks. Although I think you can find them through the internets, at least the one with the Rosalina design.

yencid said:

I would fucking kill for next level's punch-out original concept art. Would love to see the process of creations of some characters, and the storyboards for the animations.

Ganondorf's old WW design looked great! I wonder why they chose to go with the fat version...

Are there any other pieces of concept art from other Zelda games in that book?

Sheik790

Not really =/ There's developer interview and a retrospective thing (all in japanese of course >_<) and assorted finalized character art from wind waker such as Link and Tingle but that's about it.

MisterHero

For the record I didn't scan those pics I posted earlier, just rehosted them. I don't remember the original source for them. They do seem to be from 2005 though.

Jocchan said:
Before the BS about this picture spreads further:

34eyp02.png

They're the paths followed by 2nd and 3rd place drivers during the ending cutscene.
Thank you for your attention, and have a good day :)
Oh stop. I appreciate what you're trying to do but I think GAF can handle a little joke.

Anyways I hope you don't panic if I joke about how one of the following concept arts looks like a PS3.

AVScompilation-GAF.jpg

These concept arts are from a hidden page on the very first version of NoA's website. The versions shown in pictures 2-5 can be seen in real life at Nintendo World. The last picture, #6 was initially larger but I lost that one, and the Archive.org version of Nintendo.com is being uncooperative right now. I'll re-upload if I find it again.

m3k

this thread is great already

sorry to state the obvious but marios too short for peach lol punching above his weight

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks for making this thread. It will be a heaven for any Nintendo fan. Posting some prototypes to build on the previous poster and AVS.

Super Famicom prototypes

Nintendo's early approach to Famicom backwards compatibility. This version of Super Famicom was meant to work in tandem with a redesigned Famicom. They would share a single cable to the TV and consumer would choose with a flip switch which system to use. The controller was feature complete already at this point, although buttons were named A-D.

protosufami.jpg

3323wwz.jpg

33ux2km.jpg

Super NES US Version evolution

Nintendo of America had seen success in designing the industrial design for the NES by Lance Barr and wanted to continue on the same path with Super NES. The below sketches are Lance Barr's explorations of design directions for the US Super NES casing, published in Nintendo Power magazine's launch blowout feature. Notice the angular aesthetics and the purple/grey color scheme that carried over to the final device, and the asymmetrical shapes used later for the Famicom FF / NES Refresh. If you ever wondered where the inspiration for purble GBC, GBA and GCN came from, blaming Lance Barr could be a good place to start with. He still works at Nintendo.

Personally I've been always a huge fan of Lance's design's in the 80s and 90s - they have a very strong identity.

snes_us.jpg

Nintendo PlayStation prototype

And here, of course, is the very first version of PlayStation co-developed by Sony and Nintendo - capable of running Super Famicom games in addition to discs, and using the Super Famicom controller. Later Nintendo would go on betraying Sony, who would take the project forwards alone and end up stealing leadership from Nintendo for 15 years.

1zogbqt.gif

Chittagong said:

And here, of course, is the very first version of PlayStation co-developed by Sony and Nintendo - capable of running Super Famicom games in addition to discs, and using the Super Famicom controller. Later Nintendo would go on betraying Sony, who would take the project forwards alone and end up stealing leadership from Nintendo for 15 years.

1zogbqt.gif

Ive always heard, as all people, the sony cd supernes expansion, but had never seen the console. Fantastic. Holyshit the PlayStation logo with the Nintendo font a rainbow colours.:lol

EvaXephon

Neo Member
...Wow...seeing the Donkey Kong art is really insightful.

I love looking at concept art, it proves to you that making the game was trial, error, and hard work.

m3k

EvaXephon said:
...Wow...seeing the Donkey Kong art is really insightful.

I love looking at concept art, it proves to you that making the game was trial, error, and hard work.

i agree

Anth0ny

Holy SHIT @ the SNES/Playstation prototype. I had no idea there was an image of it.

I'm sure someone over at AssemblerGames has their hands on one :lol

Chittagong said:

1zogbqt.gif

You make it sound so dirty!

As I understand it, the contract between Sony and Nintendo would have given Sony "complete control" over any and all games for the CD-based add-on - this presumably meant exclusive publishing rights, profit and more. They wanted WAY more than Nintendo was willing to give, and more than most other companies were willing to give, as I recall - the Nintendo Playstation idea came about after a deal between Sega of America and Sony fell through. Sony Imagesoft was one of the biggest developers to support the Sega CD, a relationship Sega of America wanted to further explore by developing game hardware in collaboration with them - except Sega of Japan stepped in and put a stop to it (Sega of Japan and Sega of America had something of a rivalry going on, and also had a bad habit of doing things without telling the other sides of the company - that's what lead to the 32X being such a disaster, etc.).

Only after their partnership offers were turned down by the other console manufacturers did Sony decide to strike out on their own.

m3k

Sega1991 said:
You make it sound so dirty!

As I understand it, the contract between Sony and Nintendo would have given Sony "complete control" over any and all games for the CD-based add-on - this presumably meant exclusive publishing rights, profit and more. They wanted WAY more than Nintendo was willing to give, and more than most other companies were willing to give, as I recall - the Nintendo Playstation idea came about after a deal between Sega of America and Sony fell through. Sony Imagesoft was one of the biggest developers to support the Sega CD, a relationship Sega of America wanted to further explore by developing game hardware in collaboration with them - except Sega of Japan stepped in and put a stop to it (Sega of Japan and Sega of America had something of a rivalry going on, and also had a bad habit of doing things without telling the other sides of the company - that's what lead to the 32X being such a disaster, etc.).

Only after their partnership offers were turned down by the other console manufacturers did Sony decide to strike out on their own.

is there no definitive record of what happened between sony and nintendo? nothing published? ... i have heard pretty much every version of what happened between the two and was led to believe it was generally nintendo's pimp hand that fucked it up

do not want a thread derailment, sorry

mehdi_san

Toma said:
Oh and there must be someone else out there having one of these so-called "Nintendo"-Pamphlets. J-Gaf Students? Anyone? mehdi_san is about to ask whether he can still get the 2010 version of these. Sry for repeating myself but... these Developing concepts are too awesome to miss out >_>

You did a great job Toma, thanks a lot for this nice thread and OP :) It's also nice to see other people posting these rare pictures. I had never seen the Nintendo Playstation before, so it's great to finally take a look at it.

About the pamphlets, as you explained they are given free to students who are interested in working at Nintendo. The first one you have in the OP must be the 2010 edition (because it has NSMBWii and Zelda ST in it), the one I scanned is from 2009 (I got it from my senpai here at the University), and the one MisterHero posted must be from around 2005 (Mario Kart DS, etc...). The 2010 pamphlet must have been made around January, because students from different universities started getting them around the first days of February (source: 2ch). Now, since I'm graduating next year, I should be able to get one of them, and if I can I will of course scan it and upload it to share with everyone. I just hope it's not too late to ask for one and that they still have some of them in stock...

Anyway, great thread, I hope everyone will come and read it :)

MisterHero

m3k said:
is there no definitive record of what happened between sony and nintendo? nothing published? ... i have heard pretty much every version of what happened between the two and was led to believe it was generally nintendo's pimp hand that fucked it up

Nintendo's logo not being on the prototype says it all about how Sony [wanted to] view/treat them, in my opnion.

But yes, let's get back to concept art. Zelda and Mario are what I'm most interested in now, though there's a lot of Metroid available [especially Metroid Prime].

Chittagong

Gold Member
m3k said:

it's been pretty well documented, for example in the book Game Over.

Here's the gist of it.

http://www.consolepassion.co.uk/sony-playstation.htm

The first conceptions of the Playstation console date back to 1988. Nintendo had been attempting to work with disk technology since the Famicom, but the medium had problems. Its rewritable magnetic nature could be easily erased (thus leading to a lack of durability), and the disks were a piracy danger. Thus, when word came out of a new optical storage technology being developed by Sony and Philips, Nintendo was interested. Nintendo approached Sony to develop a CD-ROM add-on, tentatively titled the "SNES-CD". A contract was struck, and work began.

In 1991, the SNES-CD (now titled the Play Station) was to be announced at the June CES. However, when Hiroshi Yamauchi read the original 1988 contract between Sony and Nintendo and learned that it allowed Sony 25% of the profits from the machine, he was furious. He deemed the contract totally unacceptable, and secretly cancelled all plans for a joint Nintendo-Sony SNES CD attachment.

Indeed, instead of announcing their partnership, at 9AM the day of the CES, Nintendo chairman Howard Lincoln stepped onto the stage and revealed that they were now allied with Philips, and were planning on abandoning all the previous work Nintendo and Sony had accomplished. Lincoln and Minoru Arakawa had (unbeknownst to Sony) flown to Philips headquarters in Europe and formed an alliance of a decidedly different nature- one that would give Nintendo total control over its licenses on Philips machines.

The 9am CES announcement was a huge shock. Not only was it a complete surprise to the showgoers (Sony had only just the previous night been optimistically showing off the joint project), but it was seen by many in the Japanese community as a massive betrayal- a Japanese company snubbing another Japan-based company in favour of a European one was considered unthinkable in Japanese business.

Initially, Nintendo's abandonment of the joint project caused Sony to consider halting their research, but ultimately the company decided to use what they had developed so far and make it into a complete, stand alone console. This led to Nintendo filing a lawsuit claiming breach of contract and attempted, in U.S. federal court, to obtain an injunction against the release of the PlayStation, on the grounds that Nintendo owned the name. The federal judge presiding over the case denied the injunction. Thus, in October 1991, the first incarnation of the new Sony Playstation was revealed. As for the deal between Philips and Nintendo, it fell through as well. However, because of the deal, Philips was able to create games for its CD-i computer based on Nintendo licenses. The games were terrible, and seen as another attempt by Philips to market the ill-fated computer.

celebi23

So, since we're posting beta stuff, how about this?:

http://web.me.com/celebi23/Spaceworld_97_Pokemon/Main.html
http://web.me.com/celebi23/Spaceworld_97_Pokemon/Combined_Demo_Info.html
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387024
(Posting just the links because there is far too much stuff to post in a reply :lol )

A completely different version of Pokémon Gold/Silver than the one that was released (think Resident Evil 1.5 vs. Resident Evil 2)

Will be updating my site once I get my laptop back, from the Apple Repair Depot, around Friday. Found an actual video clip of this early version of G/S from Spaceworld 1997 :D

http://forum.unseen64.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1598&p=18382#p18382
http://forum.unseen64.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1800#p21030

Will be adding it to my site (along with an analysis of the clip too) around Friday :D

Top Bottom