• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside the secret world of Nintendo

Starwolf_UK said:
Very early prototype DS hardware (it was the Mario and Luigi 2 NOM over at Nintendo.co.jp):
alphads.jpg

If the Wii is 2 Gamecubes duct taped together then I don't know what to describe that DS as.
Holy shit

Also, the PS controller was originally an upside down SNES controller lol

And that Super Metroid map is beastly

Triton55

I would've thought more people would care about a glimpse at probable Super Mario 3D concept art. I think I see an Acrobat Mario costume there, and I'm guessing that Toad Ship is going to be the new Starship Mario.

You know part of the reason that Nintendo is able to keep such good secrets is because it even keeps most of it's own employees out of the loop?

Triton55 said:
I would've thought more people would care about a glimpse at probable Super Mario 3D concept art. I think I see an Acrobat Mario costume there, and I'm guessing that Toad Ship is going to be the new Starship Mario.

I don't think that's for SM3D. It's all stuff that was in SMG 1 and 2.

Never seen before dkcr early concept art

"I painted this concept in the early stages of Donkey Kong Country Returns development in 2007. It was used to prototype the look of the levels in the game."

in30.jpg

Did a google search of that quote and found the artist's blogspot. Sadly I think that one jungle painting is the only piece of DKCR concept art they've shown so far. :T

Kamek

This thread is pretty amazing to look through. It would be really interesting to see early SS ideas, even Other M ideas (a game that was so polarizing). We know how big a hand Miyamoto and Iwata have in the development of games as supervisors or whatever, but what about the younger generation of Nintendo geniuses. I really do think they deserve more shine, and maybe some of these discarded or unused ideas were the brainchild of the less popular.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Better save this thread...(?)

Kid Icarus: Uprising - Air and Land Battle Prototype Footage

Pretty similar to stage 1.

As for where it was from, an Iwata Asks I think. Game started development on PC and Wii after Brawl was done.

I mean we don't normally get to see prototypes like this unless its an accident.
Which Iwata ask is the from? Also, this is almost thread worthy, with SHOCKING NEWS attached to the title. I knew the game wasn't meant for the 3DS.

WillyFive

Centurion

Banned
Never seen before dkcr early concept art

"I painted this concept in the early stages of Donkey Kong Country Returns development in 2007. It was used to prototype the look of the levels in the game."

in30.jpg

oh man I wish the art style was closer to that in the real game. that and removal of waggle to roll...

Ah, alright. I wasn't sure how far that project got.

This must've been the Kid Icarus game Cassamassina alluded to for the longest time. Still don't think it would've made me buy it for the wii, though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I've seen all those proto-Pokemon before...except those two black and white sprites.

One seems to be possibly an early Heracross (a fighting bug, it looks like) and a creepy Dragonair? It's always cool to see these and wonder who they turned into. That Clefairy thing probably became Hitmontop, and that little leaf-ninja bug probably ended up as Nincada since it's the same idea, a ninja-cicada.

Top Bottom