• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming has learned of the developer requirements that need to be met to have the ‘PS5 Pro Enhanced’ label

Draugoth

Gold Member
image-2023-10-18T105226.721-1044x587.jpg

By Tom Henderson

With the soon-to-be-announced PS5 Pro expected to hit shelves later this year, Insider Gaming has learned of the developer requirements that need to be met to have the ‘PS5 Pro Enhanced’ label. Internally, this is currently called the ‘Trinity Enhanced’ label, but for the sake of SEO, we’ll be referring to it as ‘PS5 Pro Enhanced’ moving forward.

The ‘Enhanced’ label first made its introduction into the PlayStation ecosystem following the release of the PlayStation 4 Pro, which meant that the game utilized the Pro console’s improved hardware to offer improved frame rates and resolutions. For the PS5 Pro PlayStation wants games to offer a PS5 Pro-exclusive graphics mode that will combine:

• PSSR to upscale resolution to 4K
  • A constant 60FPS
  • Add or increase ray tracing effects
According to documents sent to Insider Gaming, this is possible because of faster RAM (28% faster) and a faster GPU that is 67% larger than the standard console (45% faster). Playstation says these combined make the Pro 45% faster than the standard PlayStation 5 and can provide twice the rendering speed of the standard console.

PlayStation goes on to continue that games may also be given the ‘PS5 Pro Enhanced’ label if they offer any of the following enhancements:

• Increased target resolution for titles that run a fixed resolution on the standard console
  • Increased target maximum resolution for titles that run at variable resolution on the standard console
  • Increased target frame rate for titles that target a fixed frame rate on the standard console
  • Inclusion of PS5 Pro Raytracing effects

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Well, this is an opt-in. So only if the devs want to put that label on. If they don't want to meet those requirements, they can just release their game as a standard PS5 game without the label.
No, they can't.

There'll be a deadline, probably October 2024, after which all new game releases on PS5 would have to be optimized for PS5 Pro (and as a result of that, they'll likely end up checking some of the boxes that would grant them the PS5 Pro Enhanced tag, even if it's just something as mundane as targetting native 4K visuals vs 1800p on the PS5, or anything along those lines).

Perrott

Gold Member
Joe Biden Reaction GIF

While barely improving the CPU?

It's nice to want things, Sony
19 out of 20 games on the PS5 are GPU limited.

The fact that games that don't offer a 60fps mode at all are an anomaly already tells you that the Baldur's Gates, Dragon's Dogmas or Gotham Knights of the world are isolated cases and not the norm for current-gen console gaming (and even then, two out of those three games only run at 30fps because their developers suck ass and screwed up the engine/optimization).

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
image-2023-10-18T105226.721-1044x587.jpg

PlayStation goes on to continue that games may also be given the ‘PS5 Pro Enhanced’ label if they offer any of the following enhancements:

• Increased target resolution for titles that run a fixed resolution on the standard console
  • Increased target maximum resolution for titles that run at variable resolution on the standard console
  • Increased target frame rate for titles that target a fixed frame rate on the standard console
  • Inclusion of PS5 Pro Raytracing effects

That seems like... an extremely low bar.

So if a game goes from 1800p to native 4k, with no other improvements, it will be labeled "PS5 Pro Enhanced"?

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Zuzu

It would be nice if each game in its description had an itemised list of its individual Pro enhancements. Like if a game only has a standard resolution increase instead of full PSSR support then I’d like to know that.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Digital Foundry disagrees with you, and I think they know what they are talking about

CPU is easily current gen Achilles's heel
Name me 20 current-gen CPU limited games that don't offer any 60fps modes on the PS5 or Series X, and at least 10 of those have to not be due to developer incompetence (Gotham Knights) or totally broken across all platforms including PC (Dragon's Dogma 2). You won't be able to, hence why CPU limited (or rather CPU unoptimized) games are an anomaly.

Digital Foundry doesn't always know what they're talking about, not only because how out of touch they were in their entire "what's the point of a PS5 Pro?" discourse (especially as a tech enthusiast channel) but also due to how they're talking about GTA VI being CPU limited and saying that the Pro won't be able to do 60fps... when in reality they don't know or have any sort of insight into what that game's performance currently looks like behind the scenes (speculation =/= facts).

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I'm not reading this right does that mean it HAS to be 60FPS to get an enhanced label?
No, games that receive the Enhanced label will have to combine either: higher resolution, higher framerate or better RT.

A PS5 Pro enhanced game could have only a resolution and RT improvement, or a resolution and FPS improvement, or all three.

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Digital Foundry disagrees with you, and I think they know what they are talking about

CPU is easily current gen Achilles's heel

It's your argument that Sony can't deliver a steady 60... so you should probably name all these games that are hindered by the CPU...

The reality is a 10% CPU boost will probably deliver 60 fps in the vast majority of PS5 games running in performance mode. Then you add to that the GPU and AI enhancements to get games up to higher resolutions. Then you add ray tracing...

The PS5 Pro is a godsend and everyone arguing against it is looking like a straight clown these days.

Hugare

It's your argument that Sony can't deliver a steady 60... so you should probably name all these games that are hindered by the CPU...

The reality is a 10% CPU boost will probably deliver 60 fps in the vast majority of PS5 games running in performance mode. Then you add to that the GPU and AI enhancements to get games up to higher resolutions. Then you add ray tracing...

The PS5 Pro is a godsend and everyone arguing against it is looking like a straight clown these days.
I wont loose my time putting here pretty much every non 1st party 60 FPS game that Digital Foundry analyzed, sorry

Hell, watch their video where they talk about the PS5 Pro specs and hear what they say

PS5 Pro will be great for those who want better graphics, of course. But if you are expecting constant 60 FPS you are in for some rude awakening

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well, this is an opt-in. So only if the devs want to put that label on. If they don't want to meet those requirements, they can just release their game as a standard PS5 game without the label.
Nope. With the PS4 Pro, Sony required all games on its platform past a cut-off date to have PS4 Pro functionality. The same will apply here. As we saw with the PS4 Pro, we'll see the majority of games get the "Pro Enhanced" by just bumping the resolution.

AmuroChan

No, they can't.

There'll be a deadline, probably October 2024, after which all new game releases on PS5 would have to be optimized for PS5 Pro (and as a result of that, they'll likely end up checking some of the boxes that would grant them the PS5 Pro Enhanced tag, even if it's just something as mundane as targetting native 4K visuals vs 1800p on the PS5, or anything along those lines).

I'm not seeing that in the article. Is that posted elsewhere? There's no point in having that label if every game has to be enhanced. A label like that is meant to serve as a differentiator for marketing purposes. The article says games may be given that label if they meet the requirements, which means some games will not get the label because they don't meet the requirements. It doesn't say if a game doesn't meet those requirements, it cannot be released on PS5.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
It sounds like this is for older games to get the new label, everything afterwards will obviously have PS5 Pro support.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Nope. With the PS4 Pro, Sony required all games on its platform past a cut-off date to have PS4 Pro functionality. The same will apply here. As we saw with the PS4 Pro, we'll see the majority of games get the "Pro Enhanced" by just bumping the resolution.

I don't believe that to be a hard rule. I've definitely played smaller indie games released post cutoff date that did not have PS4 Pro enhancements. All those trash 1-minute platinum games certainly did not have PS4 Pro enhancements

Perrott

Gold Member
I'm not seeing that in the article. Is that posted elsewhere? There's no point in having that label if every game has to be enhanced. A label like that is meant to serve as a differentiator for marketing purposes. The article says games may be given that label if they meet the requirements, which means some games will not get the label because they don't meet the requirements. It doesn't say if a game doesn't meet those requirements, it cannot be released on PS5.
What I'm describing is what happened to the PS4 Pro, like, after October 2016 you couldn't really release anything per Sony's developer terms and conditions that wasn't optimized/accounting for the PS4 Pro, which given the massive increase in compute units over the base model, meant that by default games ran at a higher resolution, at the very least.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

What I'm describing is what happened to the PS4 Pro, like, after October 2016 you couldn't really release anything per Sony's developer terms and conditions that wasn't optimized/accounting for the PS4 Pro, which given the massive increase in compute units over the base model, meant that by default games ran at a higher resolution, at the very least.

And I'm saying that I don't believe that to be hard rule. I've definitely played smaller indie games post cutoff on the PS4 that did not get PS4 Pro enhancements. I also don't believe that all those shovelware 1-minute platinum games on the PSN released with PS4 Pro enhancements post cutoff date. There is no way that Jumping Taco 7 released with PS4 Pro enhancements when it was made in 5 minutes by some guy in eastern Europe.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I've definitely played smaller indie games released post cutoff date that did not have PS4 Pro enhancements.
They were all Pro native/enabled, that was the only hard rule to follow.
Pro 'Enhanced' sticker was opt-in, much like above states - you needed to do 'something' to qualify for that one.

Enhancements were always left to 'open market' to sort out. Even on Series consoles - you are 'allowed' to release games that run the same settings across both S and X - just good luck dealing with the users afterwards when DF calls you out on it...

AmuroChan

They were all Pro native/enabled, that was the only hard rule to follow.
Pro 'Enhanced' sticker was opt-in, much like above states - you needed to do 'something' to qualify for that one.

Enhancements were always left to 'open market' to sort out. Even on Series consoles - you are 'allowed' to release games that run the same settings across both S and X - just good luck dealing with the users afterwards when DF calls you out on it...

Yes, that is how I understand it. It would not make any sense for Pro Enhanced to be a hard rule because surely some devs would not be able to meet those requirements for various reasons, and then what? Their game gets delisted from the PSN? That would've caused a huge uproar.

Perrott

Gold Member
I wont loose my time putting here pretty much every non 1st party 60 FPS game that Digital Foundry analyzed, sorry

Hell, watch their video where they talk about the PS5 Pro specs and hear what they say

PS5 Pro will be great for those who want better graphics, of course. But if you are expecting constant 60 FPS you are in for some rude awakening
Well, if you laugh at the piece of hardware we're discussing here and claim that it is CPU limited across a wide variety of titles and then, after being called out by several other users, you refuse to share the alleged list of dozens upon dozens of 30fps-only CPU limited current-gen titles arguing that it'd be a waste of time (for a discussion that you started)...

Then I'm sorry to tell you that you're losing all your credibility.

Hugare

Well, if you laugh at the piece of hardware we're discussing here and claim that it is CPU limited across a wide variety of titles and then, after being called out by several other users, you refuse to share the alleged list of dozens upon dozens of 30fps-only CPU limited current-gen titles arguing that it'd be a waste of time (for a discussion that you started)...

I would rather lose my credibility with gaffers than losing my time

The console will be released and we will see for ourselves. Time will tell who is right or wrong.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yes, that is how I understand it. It would not make any sense for Pro Enhanced to be a hard rule because surely some devs would not be able to meet those requirements for various reasons, and then what? Their game gets delisted from the PSN? That would've caused a huge uproar.
I mean the main reason it can't be enforced is that the enhancements aren't defined anywhere.
Even the list above states options for framerate, resolution, and quality settings. And 'performance' is there by default - you can't 'not' use it when game is Pro enabled - it will run certain things faster. It may not matter if vanilla version is already stable - but point stands.

That would've caused a huge uproar.
TBH I'm not sure that it would have - when first enhanced consoles got unveiled to devs I thought we'd get (at least some)uproar over that, it was entirely a platform-holder power move and devs taking all of the work. But instead the response we got was just resounding
Larry Shrug GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

instead. It's like the industry at large just shrugged and ...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For the PS5 Pro PlayStation wants games to offer a PS5 Pro-exclusive graphics mode that will combine:

• PSSR to upscale resolution to 4K
  • A constant 60FPS
  • Add or increase ray tracing effects

This is extremely interesting stuff. So basically they are promising 4k 60 fps with ray tracing using DLSS.

This was one of the laziest most ill informed posts I've seen on neogaf and that's quite an achievement.

Again, name me just 5 games that a 10% CPU boost wouldn't deliver a solid 60 fps to, that is specifically CPU restrained.

Hell name me 3.

He just bought into someone else's narrative and ran with it without really knowing the facts.

There are plenty of games that can't hit a steady 60 fps on PS5, but that's still mostly due to GPU limitations than CPU, and these games will easily run in 60 fps on PS5 Pro. There are some games that hit the ceiling of the PS5s CPU and struggle to deliver 60 fps too, but with a boost of 10%, I'm pretty sure we'll see 99% of games designed to run at 60 FPS actually running a steady locked 60 if not higher on PS5 Pro.

We'll also see some games with 120 fps modes.

Returnal has a 120 fps mode on the base PS5, but it's a 1080p game. That game will cook on PS5 Pro.

I would rather lose my credibility with gaffers than losing my time

The console will be released and we will see for ourselves. Time will tell who is right or wrong.

We don't need to wait. The real facts are already here.

Taycan77

It's amusing how bent out of shape some have become knowing an affordable console is around the corner that will humble the majority of PC gaming hardware. Oh wait, everyone has a 4090 these days...

At least the Xbox faithful who parroted the power narrative are just saying "**** it! I'll buy a PS5 Pro".

Then we have Digital Foundry who bought into the PR nonsense about Series X - and who can forget the "best value in gaming" line they kept repeating about Series S.

All I care about is I'll be able to play GT7 in 4K/60, in-game RT, and a **** load of headroom for other improvements if PD fully utilise PSSR. If you're thinking any deeper than what this console can do for your favourite games or franchises - then you're putting too much thought into it!

Hugare

Out of the hundreds of titles on PS5, there's like 5 that don't have a 60 fps mode.
That's not the point. The point is running at constant 60 fps.

This was one of the laziest most ill informed posts I've seen on neogaf and that's quite an achievement.

Again, name me just 5 games that a 10% CPU boost wouldn't deliver a solid 60 fps to, that is specifically CPU restrained.

Hell name me 3.

Baldurs Gate III, Lords of the Fallen, Dragons Dogma II, The Finals, FF XVI

You can quote me when the PS5 Pro releases and wont be able to run them at 60

Last edited:
Top Bottom