• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

Hagi23

Great read and i agree with all of his points especially the wii is a fad point i mean its pretty obvious to most savvy people. :)

Hagi23 said:
Great read and i agree with all of his points especially the wii is a fad point i mean its pretty obvious to most savvy people. :)
so what stopped the DS from being a fad?

i'm asking you since you are obviously savvy and i am obviously not.

F#A#Oo

Banned
xaosslug said:
does it smell like come and tears? I was wondering where that was coming from.

bukkake_danger.gif

theBishop

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
It amazes me that the Wii has only been out for like four months, yet they expect a library like the 360's out of it.

What the hell, people?

I agree with your core idea. No console is decided in the first 6 months.

However, on a system that is positioning itself as a totally different experience, I would think they would feel more pressure to prove themselves. Especially when the games people seem to want are small, simple games that should only take a few months to produce.

Based on what Nintendo has said about Wii game development, they could almost be on their 2nd generation games by now (i.e. games that are optimized for final hardware instead of PC devkits).

Nintendo could be taking every game from Wii Sports, fleshing them out, charging $30 apiece and they'd sell.

vdo

Kaitei grunkan said:
Starting with Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction we are supporting texture streaming, which will make the worlds look even better, and will also consume even more space on disc.
:D

I was just about to quote that and put the same smiley, but you beat me to it :D

EDIT: Wait, that should mean a Resistance sequel should have texture streaming (if they are indeed using the same engine)

Big-E

Eteric Rice said:
It amazes me that the Wii has only been out for like four months, yet they expect a library like the 360's out of it.

What the hell, people?

People do this same thing with the PS3.

Flakster99

I enjoy reading these threads for what eventually come afterwards.. a mod's golden touch, a sly grin as they layeth waste. ;p

The Jer

plagiarize said:
so what stopped the DS from being a fad?

i'm asking you since you are obviously savvy and i am obviously not.

I thought he was being sarcastic. I could be wrong. Sarcasm doesn't read well.

cbjars

Alot of good points, but.... what about the Games? Who cares who has a hard drive hd dvd or BLu ray -

The company to win the next gen is the one that gets more and better games than everyone else.

Give us something fun to play

Hagi23 said:

Hagi, your avatar is way too big. You'll probably want to resize it before you get eaten by a Grue.

Oni Jazar

Smokey Bones said:
2.) Free online? Ok yeah it's free and I'll give him the no lag argument(I love playing Resistance and Motorstorm with no lag), but the fact remains there is A LOT more stuffon XBL then PSN:

1. Movies
2. TV shows

4.) Ok I DO NOT CARE ABOUT MOVIES. Seriously. This has no impact on gaming whatsoever.

Hilarous irony.

theBishop

Banned
cbjars said:
Alot of good points, but.... what about the Games? Who cares who has a hard drive hd dvd or BLu ray -

The company to win the next gen is the one that gets more and better games than everyone else.

Just because we're not talking about it doesn't mean he didn't:
Sony has been building their suite of titles for over a decade. Consider the breadth, success and critical acclaim of some of their exclusive properties: The Getaway, God of War, Gran Turismo, Hot Shots Golf, Jak and Daxter, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, Singstar, Sly Cooper, SOCOM, and Twisted Metal. These are all million-plus sellers worldwide that are either already announced or likely to appear on PS3. Add to this Sony’s new line up of first-party titles, including Heavenly Sword, Lair, Motorstorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Uncharted and White Knight Story, and they have an even deeper and stronger line-up than what they had on PS2.

Little Big Planet was #1 BTW.

rs7k

besada said:
Selling well to a market where there are few quality games at all is not the same as making the next big thing. He's the one that said his job was coming up with the next big thing, while knowing that his company's first release for the PS3 was a WWII shooter, not me.

LOL, did you play Resistance?

Eteric Rice

theBishop said:
I agree with your core idea. No console is decided in the first 6 months.

However, on a system that is positioning itself as a totally different experience, I would think they would feel more pressure to prove themselves. Especially when the games people seem to want are small, simple games that should only take a few months to produce.

Based on what Nintendo has said about Wii game development, they could almost be on their 2nd generation games by now (i.e. games that are optimized for final hardware instead of PC devkits).

Nintendo could be taking every game from Wii Sports, fleshing them out, charging $30 apiece and they'd sell.

I think they've proven it to the casual gamers, it's the hardcore that are complaining. It was the same way with the DS, all we had was a few games like Kirby, and that Yoshi game to really "show anything off."

It takes time, really. It just amazes me that the Wii is going like it is just off of the launch.

Either way, I'm happy. Super Paper Mario comes out in a few days. :)

theBishop

Banned
besada said:
Selling well to a market where there are few quality games at all is not the same as making the next big thing. He's the one that said his job was coming up with the next big thing, while knowing that his company's first release for the PS3 was a WWII shooter, not me.

in what universe is Resistance a "WWII shooter"?

fanduck

Among all the talk about the price of Sony’s console, I almost never see anyone mention the significance of Sony’s free online service. Xbox Live Gold costs $70 to sign up for 1 year, or $20 for three months. You can renew your membership for $50 a year.

Is that right, or he just referring to one of the optional packages that you can buy that includes a headset and some points? I don't remember when I first signed up, but I think I would have remembered paying $70 instead of $50.

The Jer

besada said:

:lol

Did you play Resistance?

edit: beaten

Great blog Insomnicac employee, and with you being a exclusive developer for the PS3, it is up to you to go out and prove this superiority and ride the wave to the number one spot. Resistance 2 better be other worldly as we have seen R & C is on a Pixar level.

besada

Banned
rs7k said:
LOL, did you play Resistance?

Yep. Sure did. Aliens, weird weapons, but ultimately a reasonably generic shooter, just like Gears of War. Both were very pretty and neither did anything particularly new. Again, I'm not saying RFoM is bad, just that it hardly qualifies as "the next big thing".

rs7k

besada said:
Yep. Sure did. Aliens, weird weapons, but ultimately a reasonably generic shooter, just like Gears of War. Both were very pretty and neither did anything particularly new. Again, I'm not saying RFoM is bad, just that it hardly qualifies as "the next big thing".

You said WWII, making it seem like it CoD clone or something.

Regardless, I've had enough of this thread and GAF in general. The forum's turned into such a shitstorm since the DMC4 for 360 announcement.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Insomniac dude said:
Sony has been building their suite of titles for over a decade. Consider the breadth, success and critical acclaim of some of their exclusive properties: The Getaway, God of War, Gran Turismo, Hot Shots Golf, Jak and Daxter, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, Singstar, Sly Cooper, SOCOM, and Twisted Metal. These are all million-plus sellers worldwide that are either already announced or likely to appear on PS3. Add to this Sony’s new line up of first-party titles, including Heavenly Sword, Lair, Motorstorm, Resistance: Fall of Man, Uncharted and White Knight Story, and they have an even deeper and stronger line-up than what they had on PS2.

Sigh. The problem with this is that the userbase simply doesn't seem to be getting even remotely close to the PS2's. So although there may be more games, many are not system sellers.

Haunted

rs7k said:
Regardless, I've had enough of this thread and GAF in general. The forum's turned into such a shitstorm since the DMC4 for 360 announcement.
Yeah man, I feel you. I wish the Sony fans would just calm down.

chriskzoo

Banned
vdo said:
I was just about to quote that and put the same smiley, but you beat me to it :D

EDIT: Wait, that should mean a Resistance sequel should have texture streaming (if they are indeed using the same engine)

This is correct and is probably the timeframe for when Insomniac makes us say "Gears what?"

The ONLY problem I see in his arguments is that as PS3 is hitting on all cylinders graphically, MS will announce the Xbox 1080 and make us all drool for the next next-gen.

npm0925

I think most of his points are valid, especially about free online play. Microsoft either needs to make the Live gold membership free or sell it by the hour.

besada

Banned
rs7k said:
You said WWII, making it seem like it CoD clone or something.

Fair enough, it's not "strictly" a WWII shooter. It's a shooter that takes place during an alien infestation just after the same time-period as WWII, using the same style clothing and outfits as you'd find in a WWII shooter and virtually identical gameplay to a WWII shooter (with aliens in it). But definitely not WWII.

tanod

when is my burrito
Smokey Bones said:
1. Movies
2. TV shows
3. Many many more arcade games
4. UNIVERSAL ******* friends list
5. Ability to have a conversation with a friend while playing different games or doing anything on your system.
6. Headset included in every Premium box
7. Way more demos of games

I just listed 7 reasons why XBL is superior. You get what you pay for.

Not really seeing your argument here. Do you want to talk about features or content?

If you're talking about content (1,2,3,7), you pay extra for it except for demos. So that has nothing to do with the $50/year you're paying for.

If you're talking about features (4,5,6), then yes, XBL is a better/more integrated service at this point but then again, you don't have to pay extra for that stuff either.

The thing is is that nothing you talked about above that makes Xbox Live great requires the $50 fee. The only thing you are paying Microsoft $50 for is peer to peer gaming.

So you can try and justify all you want about how XBL is worth $50 a year but the fact remains that you are GROSSLY overpaying for online gaming and getting everything else (the things YOU mentioned) free.

EDIT: Thanks Modus.

squatingyeti said:
You share the "to the developer, an optional HDD is the same as no HDD." because you are clueless and some people SPIN. That's complete and utter boosheet. ALL games can take advantage of the presence of the HDD in the 360. It takes a SIMPLE effort of an *IF, THEN* coding. Games are being developed WITH the HDD being used, and adjusted to function WITHOUT it. If you don't understand that, don't bother to even post.

You miss the point HE made, it counts as no HDD for anything required. You can't make things easier/faster/better for yourself as a developer or for the players without being forced to take into account those with no HDD... you have to make workarounds for them, you have to make it still work for them, you have to make it not that much worse for them which limits what you can do.

Eteric Rice

npm0925 said:
I think most of his points are valid, especially about free online play. Microsoft either needs to make the Live gold membership free or sell it by the hour.

They'll likely just try to make Live more worthwhile than the PS3's online.

chriskzoo

Banned
besada said:
Fair enough, it's not "strictly" a WWII shooter. It's a shooter that takes place during an alien infestation just after the same time-period as WWII, using the same style clothing and outfits as you'd find in a WWII shooter and virtually identical gameplay to a WWII shooter (with aliens in it). But definitely not WWII.

Perhaps you should play it again and try using some of the Chimera weapons and their alternate fire.:lol

cbjars said:

I think Insomniac should definitely get props on this front...

ROFL

Hail Britannia
besada said:

* searches in Insomniac's business plan for "the next big thing"...
Finds instead "make the top selling PS3 launch title with Ratchet PS3 coming out within a year that is going to kick everybody's arse and make everyone say how they hell did they pull that off?" *

Yeah, pretty dumb fellow that Mr. Hastings...

Bulla564

Banned
I agree with every point made.

The main troubling part is that the Blu-ray advantage will go wasted on many multi-platform releases that could use ample space (like GTA4).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
AltogetherAndrews said:
As much truth as there may be to this, I really wish developers would just stay the hell clear of participating in the console power showdown "the word" crap.
Yeah, same here. Rather surprised this got greenlighted for publication.

I'm guessing the 3.2 Billion included the Ozymandias blog and Major Nelsons "fair" comparisons...

Funny how those 2 didn't get as bashed as this blog entry...

Really... give it a rest dudes...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
as an Xbot, I'll agree that he makes some good points even though there's alot of exaggeration going on.

However, like others said, the Xbox had alot of these advantages over the PS2 but it ultimately got its ass handed to it for, among other reasons, being late to the market and being made at a severe cost disadvantage.

besada

Banned
ROFL said:
* searches in Insomniac's business plan for "the next big thing"...

"One of my jobs at Insomniac is to try to come up with “the next big thing.” This is something everyone at Insomniac does, but as Chief Creative Officer it’s also part of my job description."

Maybe you should try reading the article we're discussing instead of digging through business plans. It was his petard.

Top Bottom