• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

RavenFox

Banned
Excellent read and it was your right to say your piece. Sony will eventually come out on top over time. People will always be people but technology never lies. Keep up the good work Insomniac.

Emowii

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
If you don't get momentum early on, third parties will move on and forget you. It happened to the Gamecube, and it could happen to the PS3.

I don't care about Blu-Ray, HDDs, or STDs, if you don't get the momentum, you don't get the games. They can still turn this around, but it seems unlikely.
I cannot believe there are people who actually believe the PS3 is dead in the water right now. :lol

You are predicting doom for a console that has been out for 6 months, and is not lacking a single feature necessary to compete in the next gen war of the next 5 years.

You've got to be kidding me.

Kolgar

That was very well written, and made some good points. That said, he's still wrong. I don't see any miraculous turnarounds because PS3 will always cost significantly more than the competition - slowing adoption and thus, developer support.

That said, why yes, PS3 is a remarkable machine and it'll be great to have for those PS3 exclusives and Blu-ray movies.

I also agree with him about the Wii, and applaud him for stating his thoughts so bluntly.

Good read.

Eteric Rice

RavenFox said:
Excellent read and it was your right to say your piece. Sony will eventually come out on top over time. People will always be people but technology never lies. Keep up the good work Insomniac.

... :lol

I cannot believe there are people who actually believe the PS3 is dead in the water right now.

You are predicting doom for a console that has been out for 6 months, and is not lacking a single feature necessary to compete in the next gen war of the next 5 years.

People who think the PS3 is dead in the water right now are kidding themselves.

I didn't say it was dead. I just said that if they don't get their shit together, it won't do so well.

npm0925

Bulla564 said:
I agree with every point made.

The main troubling part is that the Blu-ray advantage will go wasted on many multi-platform releases that could use ample space (like GTA4).
Not entirely. The storage capacity advantage of Blu-Ray can be used to speed up load times by duplicating data on multiple parts of the disc. Bethesda used this technique with PS3 Oblivion. And I can definitely see it being used for something like GTA4.

theBishop

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
as an Xbot, I'll agree that he makes some good points even though there's alot of exaggeration going on.

However, like others said, the Xbox had alot of these advantages over the PS2 but it ultimately got its ass handed to it for, among other reasons, being late to the market and being made at a severe cost disadvantage.

But you gotta admit, besides Halo, Xbox never really brought the goods.

I was Xbox/PC exclusive between 2002 and 2006, and the only Xbox games I owned were Halo 1+2, every Splinter Cell, Kotor, Ninja Gaiden, Fable, Jade Empire and PGR2.

Eteric Rice

theBishop said:

I was Xbox/PC exclusive between 2002 and 2006, and the only Xbox games I owned were Halo 1+2, every Splinter Cell, Kotor, Ninja Gaiden, Fable, Jade Empire and PGR2.

They seem to be on the ball this time. Halo 3, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddesy. I'm all hyped up for those. The industry needs some new blood.

M3Freak

Banned
rs7k said:
You said WWII, making it seem like it CoD clone or something.

Regardless, I've had enough of this thread and GAF in general. The forum's turned into such a shitstorm since the DMC4 for 360 announcement.

Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad. There is a lot of Sony hating, even when you have games like R:Fom or Motorstorm punching you in the gut with their awesomeness.

As for the blog, I agree with what he's said.

The "Wii is a fad statement": if it walks like duck, and talks like a duck, it's a duck. That's not to say the Wii won't be popular after the fad is over - it still will be. But, it won't be at insanity level like it is now.

HDMI is important. I'd be super ass pissed if I bought a $6000 HDTV and the PS3 didn't support the best video connection technology avaialble. Hell, If I bought a $2000 HDTV and didn't have HDMI I would be pissed.

BD for games is necessary because it gives the dev room. Just like you can never have enough RAM, you can never have enough storage. Not having to worry about filling the disk will affect how games are developed for the PS3.

Home is going to be awesome. People deriding it haven't considered everything. Hell, it would be usefull for the GAF Resistance clan RIGHT NOW. For example, a bunch of us were playing Motorstorm one day. We started talking about wanting to play Resistance, and so some said we'd meet up online and get some games in. But, some of us were confused or weren't sure if people were really going to play, so it never happened. If we could have met in Home, discussed what to do, and then launched Resistance, we all could have seamlessly gone from playing one game to another - THAT'S FOOKING CONVENIENT AS HELL. Home is going to rock.

Anyway, I'm loving my PS3. Give me more games like Resistance, and it's going to stomp all over the competition, including the PS2.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
besada said:
"One of my jobs at Insomniac is to try to come up with “the next big thing.” This is something everyone at Insomniac does, but as Chief Creative Officer it’s also part of my job description."

Maybe you should try reading the article we're discussing instead of digging through business plans. It was his petard.

Oops! I did read it but you got me there... I was going more by Ted Price's previous blogs about how they approached doing a launch title. Either way, it's nice for Insomniac that it DID turn out to be "the next big thing" in any case... :)

Eteric Rice said:
I didn't know the Playstation 2, Gamecube, X-Box, and X-Box 360 used Blu-Ray.

News to me!

don;t forget that the Wii and PC use DVD also. Sony PS3 is the only one with blu-Ray everyone else use DVD. The only thing that going to help the PS3 right now is if the price come down. Insomniac sound like a PR man.

Jirotrom

How is the Wii a fad when its content is continually changing...he compared the Wii to things that don't change in what they give you...thats just silly. A tickle-me-Elmo Doll will always be a Tickle-me-Elmo Doll. If the wii delivers new games it won't matter. I guess the ipod is a fad, I'm not an apple fan but I can see that as being false as year after year apple delivers something new to their machine even if it is inferior to other out there.

theBishop

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
They seem to be on the ball this time. Halo 3, Gears of War, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddesy. I'm all hyped up for those. The industry needs some new blood.

Definitely, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying despite the parallels in positioning between Xbox and PS3, PS3 isn't going to have the problem with games that Xbox had.

The Jer

theBishop said:

no Fusion Frenzy :(

theBishop

Banned
sonic4ever said:
don;t forget that the Wii and PC use DVD also. Sony PS3 is the only one with blu-Ray everyone else use DVD. The only thing that going to help the PS3 right now is if the price come down. Insomniac sound like a PR man.

Leave PC out of it. And Wii is a last-gen console from a technology perspective. PS2 didn't have/need Blu-Ray either.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Emowii said:
I cannot believe there are people who actually believe the PS3 is dead in the water right now. :lol

No one is saying that. But it isn't doing too hot right now.

Wow really interesting read very well written.
I enjoyed the whole article. And I think Playstation definitely has the potential to come out on top again if they keep the steam up from GDC.

theBishop said:

How can they help it if you have poor taste and skipped Panzer Dragoon, Top Spin, JSRF, Stranger's Wrath, Rallisport 2, and Crimson Skies? And if you liked playing Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts on your PC, that's your prerogative, but most people would rather play such games on consoles.

Personally I'm glad I wasn't limited to any one console last gen, but if you are going to limit yourself to one, at least buy the best games, man. :)

Barnolde

Banned
That's actually a great list, I agree with most of them, I especially agree with HDD standard (not to mention replaceable) and 50GB games. The PS3 has done a better job at impressing me than the 360 has, hardware wise.

1. LBP and Home will be huge, LBP is my most anticipated game ever, it alone makes me want a PS3.
2. Since MS ****ed my XBL Gold up, I'm not paying again, free online is quite nice.
3. 50GB games, QFT!!! Look at any torrent site for 360 games, they're 6.5-7GB already and the limit is 7.5GB! I don't care about Blu-Ray for movies, but for games it will be invaluable in the coming years.
4. Blu-Ray has pretty much beaten HD DVD already.
5. HDMI support is quite nice, but shipping with composite is stupid, Sony should've copied MS and included component/composite cables with every system. Not to mention they still need to fix those scaling issues (unless they did?)
6. *looks at avatar* Goddamn, the Core pack will go down in history as the worst decision for this gen. Absolutely stupid and ass-backwards marketing decision from some monkey at MS. It'd be as stupid as if Nintendo launched the GCN with only 2 controller ports, but that doesn't gimp games like a non-standard HDD does.
7. Wii hype will die down, but I still think the system is nuts, the big N can't afford to screw up the Wii.
8. PS3 wins in the CPU, 360 wins in the GPU, old news.
9. PS2's sales are nuts, no argument here.
10. Something for everyone indeed, MS doesn't have a broad enough appeal and a couple crummy games in each category doesn't count. Viva can't do all the work alone. Having 3rd party licensed kiddie crap is not an advantage MS should brag about.

M3Freak said:
Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad. There is a lot of Sony hating, even when you have games like R:Fom or Motorstorm punching you in the gut with their awesomeness.

As for the blog, I agree with what he's said.

The "Wii is a fad statement": if it walks like duck, and talks like a duck, it's a duck. That's not to say the Wii won't be popular after the fad is over - it still will be. But, it won't be at insanity level like it is now.

HDMI is important. I'd be super ass pissed if I bought a $6000 HDTV and the PS3 didn't support the best video connection technology avaialble. Hell, If I bought a $2000 HDTV and didn't have HDMI I would be pissed.

BD for games is necessary because it gives the dev room. Just like you can never have enough RAM, you can never have enough storage. Not having to worry about filling the disk will affect how games are developed for the PS3.

Home is going to be awesome. People deriding it haven't considered everything. Hell, it would be usefull for the GAF Resistance clan RIGHT NOW. For example, a bunch of us were playing Motorstorm one day. We started talking about wanting to play Resistance, and so some said we'd meet up online and get some games in. But, some of us were confused or weren't sure if people were really going to play, so it never happened. If we could have met in Home, discussed what to do, and then launched Resistance, we all could have seamlessly gone from playing one game to another - THAT'S FOOKING CONVENIENT AS HELL. Home is going to rock.

Anyway, I'm loving my PS3. Give me more games like Resistance, and it's going to stomp all over the competition, including the PS2.
while i'm a home skeptic, i don't put negative spin on the thing. it aint my cup of tea, but it's free and it's not being forced on me so i don't care, but the situation you described has played out numerous times with me and my friends on xbox live, and it was arguably more convenient, as we just went straight from one game to the next without going back into a home style lobby in between.

home is pie in the sky, new internet thinking, and i don't doubt that a lot of people are going to embrace it... i just don't know what percentage of the userbase are going to embrace it, or how many of those are going to find it a feature that in and of itself adds value to the system.

for me, i like a lot of the functionality of Home, but it's an interface i don't want to use. i like the idea of streaming videos off of my harddrive, but i'd rather just press a button in a menu to do it than controlling a virtual avatar around an environment to do it.

Sony are promising that those kind of features will be available outside of home which makes me and many others happy because if you aren't interested in the whole virtual avatar/apartment thing Home is just an awkward interface.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Jirotrom said:
How is the Wii a fad when its content is continually changing...he compared the Wii to things that don't change in what they give you...thats just silly.

See, he's making a bet concerning the outcome of a system that he's heavily invested in. Tends to sway one's opinion and you might not want to put too much stock in his opinion as a result. Are some of his points valid? Sure. But plenty of them are only hopeful speculation. - things they way he thinks (and wants) them to occur.

I'm sure Sony's PS3 is going to do just fine. I'll pick one up when the library has expanded and the price deflated. I'm sure plenty of other people will too.

I don't get who Brian Hastings is writing this "for". What is his motivation?

Is this to reassure his company/employees/investors that going PS3 exclusive is a sound business decision? Is this to reassure Insomniac fans that they won't regret buying a PS3? Is this just another developer mad at game journalism?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
theBishop said:
It didn't just break records in Europe?

You better tell the press.

Oh, well it seems I have egg on my face. The UK will singlehandedly make up the slack for Japan, NA, and every other country in Europe. 130 million units, here we come!

theBishop

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
How can they help it if you have poor taste and skipped Panzer Dragoon, Top Spin, JSRF, Stranger's Wrath, Rallisport 2, and Crimson Skies? And if you liked playing Beyond Good & Evil and Psychonauts on your PC, that's your prerogative, but most people would rather play such games on consoles.

Personally I'm glad I wasn't limited to any one console last gen, but if you are going to limit yourself to one, at least buy the best games, man. :)

I rented them :)

Jirotrom said:
How is the Wii a fad when its content is continually changing...he compared the Wii to things that don't change in what they give you...thats just silly. A tickle-me-Elmo Doll will always be a Tickle-me-Elmo Doll. If the wii delivers new games it won't matter. I guess the ipod is a fad, I'm not an apple fan but I can see that as being false as year after year apple delivers something new to their machine even if it is inferior to other out there.

I'm not trying to defend here, I don't necessarily share the view, but I think the wiimote and how it is used is the bit that is being considered a fad and that doesn't change. It's a cool new way to control things, and I'm sure new games will slightly modify how it is used but the initial wow is just using the wiimote for the first time.

Emowii

Banned
Oblivion said:
No one is saying that. But it isn't doing too hot right now.
No one is coming right out and saying those words, but they're certainly saying things very close to it. Some Xbots seem nearly drunken with confidence right now, to the point where they're tiptoeing right up to that line of saying such things with a straight face. I think everyone needs to just cool down a bit right now, and realize this is still so early in this console war that it's ridiculous for anyone to act sure about the long term prognosis for either system.

Also, this entire thread was started about an article written about the PS3, and it's long term plan for success. So yes, we all know the PS3 didn't have great first 6 months at market, but that doesn't mean anything argued in the original Insomniac blog post is any less true.

frankthurk said:
I'm not trying to defend here, I don't necessarily share the view, but I think the wiimote and how it is used is the bit that is being considered a fad and that doesn't change. It's a cool new way to control things, and I'm sure new games will slightly modify how it is used but the initial wow is just using the wiimote for the first time.
that wouldn't make it a fad either though.

if people still like something after the initial wow has faded, it isn't a fad. if it was, you could argue that, say, analogue sticks are a fad.

Emowii said:
No one is coming right out and saying those words, but they're certainly saying things very close to it. Some Xbots seem nearly drunken with confidence right now, to the point where they're tiptoeing right up to that line of saying such things with a straight face. I think everyone needs to just cool down a bit right now, and realize this is still so early in this console war that it's ridiculous for anyone to act sure about the long term prognosis for either system.

Also, this entire thread was started about an article written about the PS3, and it's long term plan for success. So yes, we all know the PS3 didn't have great first 6 months at market, but that doesn't mean anything argued in the original Insomniac blog post is any less true.
the blog post is no better than the posts here though, nor does it come from a better opinion. he isn't a market analyst. he doesn't decide which system his company makes games for. he's just someone shooting from the hip on these things like the rest of us.

he's making long term prognosises longer than most anyone here is... and there are things in his post that are factually wrong, and other things which are highly debatable.

even then, those things don't guarantee Sony success. they are just factors that might contribute to it. heck, we'll probably never be able to pin it down to a list of factors like this, should the PS3 come out on top.

Rhindle

a Master Ninja said:
I don't get who Brian Hastings is writing this "for". What is his motivation?

Is this to reassure his company/employees/investors that going PS3 exclusive is a sound business decision? Is this to reassure Insomniac fans that they won't regret buying a PS3? Is this just another developer mad at game journalism?
He's writing it for the same reason fanboys post their manifestos on internet message boards: To make himself feel better about his lot in life. Which at this point involves having committed his company to a platform holder with a fairly inept management team that can't seem to stop tripping over itself, and a console that looks going to be locked into a minority position indefinitely.

Go ahead and have yourself a nice cry Insomniac, you'll feel much better afterwards.

quest

Not Banned from OT
frankthurk said:

The use of the Wii mote will only get better and better as the years go on. Developers will find better and more creative ways to use the Wiimote. While the 360 and PS3 produce the same old games with better graphics the Wii will be the only one to have unique gaming experiences. I have a 360 but I can see the Wii having big time staying power. I just wish I could find one I went to look againt today no luck as usual.

Anyone want to make a bet that Guitar Hero 2 will outsell every E-T rated game on PS3 in North America in the April NPD? Thus nullifying the "360 fans only buy M-rated games" nonsense that has already been proven wrong by Call of Duty, Fight Night, Madden, DOA4, Need for Speed, etc? I'd even go so far as to say Forza 2 will outsell MotorStorm and F1's LTD combined when it releases in May.

plagiarize said:
that wouldn't make it a fad either though.

if people still like something after the initial wow has faded, it isn't a fad. if it was, you could argue that, say, analogue sticks are a fad.

I don't remember picking up analog sticks for the first time and going, 'wow this is a cool new way to control things'... actually my first impressions were more along the lines of 'woah this kinda blows for precise or fast control, back to k&m please'.

I don't think a lot of people played games just for the novelty of controlling with the analogue sticks, but I think they have with the wiimote. Like I said though I'm not sure if it's a 'fad' or not, but if you're going to call it a fad I think how it controls is the thing that could qualify. Of course the games will change like any console, the fact that you swing or point the control (which is what catches a lot of peoples attention at first sight) will not.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Oblivion said:
Oh, well it seems I have egg on my face. The UK will singlehandedly make up the slack for Japan, NA, and every other country in Europe. 130 million units, here we come!

It broke records in Europe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6499841.stm

< More than a million consoles were shipped across Europe on launch day last week with 600,000 sold. >

< http://gameover.sapo.pt/article.html?id=32258

Belgium sold 80% of their PS3 54.000 units

Portugal sold 90% of their PS3 >

etc.

RavenFox

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
... :lol

I didn't say it was dead. I just said that if they don't get their shit together, it won't do so well.
Who are you? It wasnt a joke post so I would like some feedback. Are you typing from your drool chair in daycare?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Emowii said:
I think everyone needs to just cool down a bit right now, and realize this is still so early in this console war that it's ridiculous for anyone to act sure about the long term prognosis for either system.

Time to bring in the mediators!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Sometimes people ask us, “If Resistance takes 14 gigabytes, why doesn’t it look better than Gears?” Well, for one, Resistance didn’t support texture streaming, so we had to make choices about where we spent our high-res textures. Resistance also had 30 single-player chapters, six multiplayer maps, uncompressed audio streaming, and high-definition mpegs. That all added up to a lot of space on the disc. Starting with Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction we are supporting texture streaming, which will make the worlds look even better, and will also consume even more space on disc.
Is it our fault you couldn't do texture streaming? Oh yeah, the great BD streaming was the problem. The high-definition mpegs were a total waste. You took still shots and used more space to make them into mpegs.

8. PS3 Has a Major CPU Advantage
Games developed from the ground up on PS3 are the ones that will really show off the PS3’s CPU advantage. The complexity of the distributed processing architecture means that PS3 engines won’t fully blossom until a little later in the lifecycle than the PS2. This has put the PS3 at a disadvantage early in its lifecycle, but within two years you will see games that surpass what is possible on the Xbox 360.
Will we? Let's talk about the available RAM. You can only do what the available RAM can handle. Since when did the PS3 have the advantage of available RAM? He wants to talk about how the GPU for 360 is "slightly" better, but doesn't expand on how the GPU hasn't been fully taken advantage of with unified architecture and eDRAM. On the other hand, he graciously points out how the Cell hasn't been taken advantage of yet which will lead to big differences. Slanted view to say the least by ignoring one component in your competitors system that hasn't really been taken advantage of and talking about a component in your system (and I say your because the PS3 IS Insomniac's system).

quest

Not Banned from OT
ROFL said:
It broke records in Europe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6499841.stm

< More than a million consoles were shipped across Europe on launch day last week with 600,000 sold. >

< http://gameover.sapo.pt/article.html?id=32258

Belgium sold 80% of their PS3 54.000 units

Portugal sold 90% of their PS3 >

etc.

Last time I looked the PS3 did well in NA and Japan for the first month. Once the hardcore gamers got them sales went way down. If the PS3 is still selling at a record pace in 2 months then we can talk.

frankthurk said:
I don't remember picking up analog sticks for the first time and going, 'wow this is a cool new way to control things'... actually my first impressions were more along the lines of 'woah this kinda blows for precise or fast control, back to k&m please'.

I don't think a lot of people played games just for the novelty of controlling with the analogue sticks, but I think they have with the wiimote. Like I said though I'm not sure if it's a 'fad' or not.

My god man, Super Mario 64?

fanduck

M3Freak said:

So is "Fad" what they're calling it now? People called the DS the same thing, only used the word "Gimmick."

He has a point that there's a lot of people buying the system that won't buy games, but the same can be said for the PS2. When you make a casual friendly system, a lot of system will end up on a shelf unused. It doesn't mean there aren't people using it.

Chiggs

Rhindle said:
He's writing it for the same reason fanboys post their manifestos on internet message boards: To make himself feel better about his lot in life. Which at this point involves having committed his company to a platform holder with a fairly inept management team that can't seem to stop tripping over itself, and a console that looks going to be locked into a minority position indefinitely.

Go ahead and have yourself a nice cry Insomniac, you'll feel much better afterwards.

I enjoyed this post.

Jirotrom

urk said:
See, he's making a bet concerning the outcome of a system that he's heavily invested in. Tends to sway one's opinion and you might not want to put too much stock in his opinion as a result. Are some of his points valid? Sure. But plenty of them are only hopeful speculation. - things they way he thinks (and wants) them to occur.

I'm sure Sony's PS3 is going to do just fine. I'll pick one up when the library has expanded and the price deflated. I'm sure plenty of other people will too.
I agree with you, as i'll pick up a ps3 soon it just seems that its kind of wrong to call it that based on his examples.

This article is in extreme poor taste, my respect for insomniac just hit a nose dive i'd still buy the next rachet & clank but i doubt i can ever enjoy it the same way i used to when knowing its from developers who'd sell their soul to get money/approval from their masters.
What's more the blog post reeks of dissing other platforms, i could see fanboys portraying their systems as a champion but a person who owns all three i can't imagine how anyone can even in their wildest dreams claim that the money i paid for 360/wii is not worth it and how as a gamer you can actually justify not a buying a 360 is beyond me, its like you completely ignore the good features of all other consoles and make them seem like a piece of sh*t? you even mentioned things as small as "casino royale" and "hdd" but where was the mention that 360 has the best line up of games while the ps3 lies in a game drought? where is our free view from an honest guy? are you applying at some PR job at SONY was this a test run? I have seen first-party studios trying to do PR but none has been a bigger suck up then you.
Sorry Insomniac you just lost my respect.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Aisenherz said:
You have to be a joke character!
Your anti-SONY propaganda is ridiculous!

So is the believing that the 360 and ps3 GPU's are slighty equal.

I believe, cell is more powerful than Xenon. Xenos is also much more powerful than RSX.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
wow, half my post disappeared which sucks. now I gotta go through it all again.
Whether you love or hate Sony, if you’re trying to spin Home as a bad thing I can only conclude that you’re part of Microsoft’s $3.2 billion viral marketing campaign.
I'm glad he KNOWS how much MS spends on viral marketing. Maybe he could also tell us how much Sony spends? How about what amount of what he says MS spends is specifically on games. All I know is I've yet to see an "alliwantforxmasisa360".

2. Free Online
Among all the talk about the price of Sony’s console, I almost never see anyone mention the significance of Sony’s free online service. Xbox Live Gold costs $70 to sign up for 1 year, or $20 for three months. You can renew your membership for $50 a year. So if the Xbox 360 stays around for five years, you’ll be paying 70 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 = $270 to access features that Sony gives you for free.
I drive a Saab, which means I put Premium grade gas in my car. Costs an extra .20 a gallon, but I get better performance and better average gas mileage than other V6 w/turbos. Pay for what you get is just one of the ideas above. Also, if anyone has paid $70 for a sign up and $50 for renewals to XLive, I must question your intelligence. You also must have spent $50 for a mic to play on the PSN.

Top Bottom