• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Games responds to the QTE criticism in Spider-Man for PS4

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That part in Spidey isn't even a QTE. The symbol just shows what you will attach to if you webzip, and seems to always be there when you're looking at something you can zip to. It's part of the regular gameplay. The Uncharted one, on the other hand, is a QTE.
I would recommend actually reading what I just said instead of just looking at the pictures.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Right and now PS4 defenders have Spider Man to point to when people say Sony had a bad e3. Saying this game looks bad cuts a fanboy to the quick because it means that Sony really blew it at e3.

It's much more important for Sony warriors than for Nintendo or Xbox or PC warriors. It's like Breath Of The Wild last year, the focus of hope for a legion of fans.

Which is all well and good and the game did look great, except for the QTEs, which were rightfully criticised. Unfortunately that criticism has really, really set some people off.

Except that no one who is being critical of Insomniac can really name what Insomniac could've done alternatively for that scene if they had omitted the QTE's. How can you complain and say "they should've done something different", when they themselves can't accurately convey a way to do that with their own thoughts and choose to instead hide behind the excuse of "well, I'm not a game designer". I'm not saying people can't critique the game but if you are and say such and such could've been done so much better, at least share your thoughts of how to do that and offer up some suggestions.

Gestault

I love Insomniac's work, and this is the ideal answer. Hand-wringing about QTEs is silly after a statement like this. The game could have its own problems, but the section was was chosen for its stage presence, and they have a history of output that shows they have a strong sense of what players enjoy.

I hit submit too early, please look at my edit. I have been a long time Insomniac fan, and I think they know how to make a fun game. All the game they made previously are fun as fuck and worth playing at least twice.

What I am saying is, people who are concerned about QTEs shouldn't be laughed at, especially after The Order shitshow, I think people are not ''wrong'' to be concerned. This game is of course nothing like The Order, that's not what I am saying.

But wouldn't you be happier if the game has less QTE and more real time gameplay? The game is still in the makings, it's not too late to make it more fun. If the openworld is mostly gameplay and the main story quest is mostly QTE then it's gonna be a bit annoying to progress the story in this game don't you think?

Why not make it all gameplay? It's not like set pieces can only be fun with QTEs...it can be fun in gameplay too!
Uncharted 4 is the perfect example of good GAMEPLAY setpieces, minus the boring climbing parts, UC4 is the best when it comes to playable set pieces.

Because making it all gameplay is unreasonably naive from a game dev perspective.

And I like QTEs, so I got no issue here.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That scene would piss people off even if it wasn't a QTE because people complain about trial and error 😁

Could you imagine someone reloading that scene if they had to do it all manually? They'd be like, "this sucks" or "why can't I skip this?". lol just a thought I had

Crossing Eden

Except that no one who is being critical of Insomniac can really name what Insomniac could've done alternatively for that scene if they had omitted the QTE's. How can you complain and say "they should've done something different", when they themselves can't accurately convey a way to do that with their own thoughts and choose to instead hide behind the excuse of "well, I'm not a game designer". I'm not saying people can't critique the game but if you are and say such and such could've been done so much better, at least share your thoughts of how to do that and offer up some suggestions.
I just did on the last page.....

Hi, PS4 owner, I didn't really like the look of the QTEs. Not everyone who isn't a fan of very video gamey looking QTEs are xbox fanboys. To me they look very video gamey juxtaposed against the otherwise incredibly realistic lighting work. I feel that modern games have become much better at hiding this by making the QTEs stick out way less. And since these were all based on the web, instead of a flashing colored circled, they could go with the symbol for webs and for the large part, people would know what to press.
lDNzZ3e.png

Like what they do in Uncharted.

3kSvsU1.gif

this to me is preferable over the obvious video game color coding if there's no option for them to auto complete.

Number of people believing something (or pretending to believe something) doesn't equate to having a well thought out position.

E3 is the one time of year that gaming has the most eyeballs on it

Sony and Insomniac put out a trailer that people who only casually follow the hobby watch, this trailer gave enough people a bad impression of the final product that insomniac had to put out statements clarifying that the trailer is representative of a small portion of the game. If so many people were misinformed then the trailer did a poor job conveying what the full game will actually be like. Not everyone pays attention to gaming as much as we do.

sublimit

Banned
Problem is combat is also very scripted and with button prompts all over the place.Just watch again the fight with the big guy who drops from the helicopter.

Seventy70

Complelty missing the point? If a game shows 35 seconds of QTEs in a 9 minute demo, how is this missing the point when the complaint is that it's a QTE fest?

And breaking the momentum? I disagree, especially in a game like Spiderman.

Most of the complaints against QTEs are not against how long they last, it's about how frequently they occur. If each QTE lasted 1 second and there was a 35 seconds total in 9 minutes of gameplay, it would be annoying as hell. That's an extreme example, but the point is that length of time the QTE lasts is not really the complaint.
I think the people worried aren't going to not be worried until they see more from the game

it'll work itself out in time

show don't tell and all that
Exactly. People will put what they see ahead of everything else.

I mean it should have been obvious that it wouldn't be a setipece fest on one hand but on the other I hate demos like this, better show stuff that is more representative of the actual game you'll be playing the vast majority of the time

Jay Sosa

Unpopular opinion time.

I wish Insomniac also add an "auto QTE" option for the game for accessibility, similar to how Capcom added an auto QTE option in Resident Evil 6. If it's a 'set piece block buster' moment. I'd rather eliminate the 'miss and repeat' aspect that usually plagues these kind of QTE's completely to enjoy the set piece in it's full glory.

you mean popular opinion time..I totally agree with you. nothing worse than me leaning back in my chair expecting to enjoy an awesome cutscene...and then suddenly button prompts show up.

Ripenen

You can't really use that argument for Spider-Man because he doesn't move like a tank.

It's not really about the specifics of moving like a tank. It's more about the disconnect created when a character can do things in a cutscene that the character can't do when the player is in control. I don't know if that's the case in Spider-man.

Servbot24

Banned
You did not play RE4 is you think there were only a 'few' QTEs.

But yes, they are. I love RE4 in spite of the QTEs. I'd love it alot more without them.

I've played it a bazillion times. They barely ever come up.

But if RE4 is your idea of "severely compromised" (sounds like people who say a game is "unplayable" and "broken" when a frame drops), I don't know what to tell you.

Sony and Insomniac put out a trailer that people who only casually follow the hobby watch, this trailer gave enough people a bad impression of the final product that insomniac had to put out statements clarifying that the trailer is representative of a small portion of the game. If so many people were misinformed then the trailer did a poor job conveying what the full game will actually be like. Not everyone pays attention to gaming as much as we do.

That is true, but I don't think that casual viewers are the ones complaining. They're probably the ones who don't even really know what QTEs are and just thought the game looked awesome.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I think the people worried aren't going to not be worried until they see more from the game

it'll work itself out in time

show don't tell and all that

Yeah but i hope that extended demo is even more than what they showed at E3 behind closed doors because press impressions afterwards they said they didn't really show much more.

I really hope that extended gameplay demo is more like one of those MGSV gameplay presentations, those were absolutely fantastic. Show lot's of gameplay, explain the mechanics etc. just give us a side mission or so.

As far as I've seen only ones making a big deal about it are ppl like us. Go watch some casuals enjoy the gameplay demonstration. Probably don't even know it's called a Qte

Shifty1897

But how else would they do that segment of gameplay with Spider-Man saving the citizens from a falling crane with the player having complete control of the scene? Any ideas? Just asking. Would it have been better if the player didn't interact with the controller at all and instead watch as Spider-Man did all these cool things?

I would point to other games that manage to incorporate normal game mechanics into the set pieces, like Uncharted, OR if you are going to have QTEs, use them sparingly and only for something that absolutely couldn't have been done with a game mechanic instead. I don't have a problem with them per se, but I do think this part of the game had one or two too many.

Famassu

Well people can comment only what they saw. We will probably see extended gameplay at PSX.
People should already understand that E3 press conference trailers/demos are more about making visually engaging presentations (which often means showing some set piece moments that don't have the player in control 100% of the time, relying on more scripted stuff than the overall game will etc.) than showcasing the intricacies & all aspects of gameplay. Even then, the demo showed enough of non-QTE stuff that relied on fluid one-on-many combat, making use of the environment, snappy traversal & stealth etc. that had very little QTEs.

Lol. The game got tons of Best of E3 nominations & wins. The reception was far from negative. The only negative people are the very, VERY small vocal minority of negative nancies that pick everything apart and nothing is ever good enough and QTEs killed their dogs and not understanding the context of anything etc.

CJY

Banned
You... Hahaha, you can't be serious? You're comparing combos which you perform from memory in strategic gameplay to Simmon Says prompts that come up on screen?

Go lay down, man.

Yep, I am comparing them. There is fundamentally zero difference and simply comes down to how they are designed. QTEs and combo sequence difficulties and complexities are on a spectrum. Certain QTEs: more complex, certain combos: less complex, and they may meet in the middle. One is neither better than the other. A QTE could have multiple command prompts that are even more complex than a combo in a fighter, the point is, is down to design. Nothing wrong with QTEs as a concept.

Another example, take a look Gears of War, the reload mechanic there where you hit reload at just the right time to get a quick reload. That by definition is a QTE, but it's well designed and integrates well into the gunplay and gameplay.

Of course it can be argued if it's a bad implementation of QTE, but to want to be completely rid of them, is again, absolutely absurd.

Yeah and that doesn't make any sense when under a minute of the showing had QTEs

It was the minute of the climax of the gameplay, you can forgive people for remembering the part you are designed to remember the most. Not everyone analyses or even rewatches trailers and demos over and over, the gameplay/chase built up to the crane and then went down in energy from there.

Jenenser

I guess in some cases developers want to take 'control' away from the player so they can have the player focus on the big expensive effects-filled shot.

the irony is, atleats for me....i cant watch what happens because i filter the information for the buttonpress...

oldergamer

I recall Ryse getting a ton of flak for QTE's despite the fact it doesn't really have any. I'm not a fan of QTE's at all, it takes the enjoyment from watching a cinematic away for me. Partially why I didn't like the telltale batman as much as i was hoping.

theWB27

I would point to other games that manage to incorporate normal game mechanics into the set pieces, like Uncharted, OR if you are going to have QTEs, use them sparingly and only for something that absolutely couldn't have been done with a game mechanic instead. I don't have a problem with them per se, but I do think this part of the game had one or two too many.

People keep bringing in Uncharted and Nathan Drake is not Spiderman. If you want to make him a regular human...sure look at uncharted. But Spiderman isn't and Uncharted isn't the template for Spiderman.

Puruzi

Banned

The casual viewers think it looks sick

MKIL65

That's an interesting point you make about fail states in QTE sequences. It would be amazing if you fail to hit any of the 3 QTEs on the crane, it would cause increasing levels of damage to the building, or if you fail the QTE for the hook of the crane, it would smash into the building more vigourously. Failing any QTE should not result in having the play the sequence again IMO, but instead result in different outcomes. Spidey could just as easily continue his pursuit of the helicopter if he failed the QTEs.

I don't expect any of this in Spiderman but it goes to show that more thought, consideration and better design can go into developing better QTEs, instead of the attitude of all QTEs being shit and that they need to go.

That's what I'm hoping for. I certainly do have faith in Insomniac. They have a great track record.

I've played it a bazillion times. They barely ever come up.

But if RE4 is your idea of "severely compromised" (sounds like people who say a game is "unplayable" and "broken" when a frame drops), I don't know what to tell you.

RE4 is full of QTEs. There's a boss fight that's literarily a series of QTEs for about 10 minutes. Your memory isn't great.

I said I still loved the game, so they didn't ruin it for me. I just know I would have enjoyed it more if they weren't there. I'm not expecting you to tell me anything, I'm just saying that I don't like QTEs and see them as a negative mark against any game that uses them heavily. It's fine to disagree with me, I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

autoduelist

I don't think anyone thought that the whole game was going to be literally nothing but QTEs, it's just that for some, any QTEs at all is too many. How many big set pieces are there going to be? 3? A dozen? More? We don't know. But so do know that QTEs in set pieces is enough to severely dampen my excitement for this game.

There is a time and place for QTE. Very limited gameplay during cutscene type events [boss battles, etc] keeps immersion, and allows the developer to create events that simply couldn't exist otherwise. I mean, sure, they could try to shoehorn every fight into the standard moveset of the rest of the game, but sometimes it's nice to be able to have a move so [visually and acrobatically] complex in the boss fight that only a QTE could do it. Or, imagine the 'save the love interest vs save a bus full of people' decision... having the player make a spit second decision during a cutscene by pressing l1 or r1 is fine.

QTE isn't bad as a rule. It can be done badly, sure. But if done right, it can give both the player and the developer far more opportunity for solid gameplay and story.

Allonym

Wouldn't be surprised if they do that.

Even Uncharted 4 gave you an option to 'hold' the action button instead of rapidly tapping it.

And ruin your company's credibility and customer relations. Amazing idea!

You shouldn't have to kiss people's asses to get a few more sales. If the person had said the same thing but in a more polite manner, like "hey I'm concerned that the game will feature an abundance of QTE's, is there something you can share with me and other concerned fans to alleviate this fear?" then that would warrant a nice response, but the don't get full of yourselves thing is an asshole thing to say and so they get an asshole response.

But I get your point, not only are they representing themselves, they are also representing Marvel and the Spider-Man brand. I don't think Insomniac would miss that one person and that wouldn't necessarily kill the public image/relations. Just my opinion.

mlclmtckr

Banned

This is going to sound overly harsh, but since you asked:

They could make a game that's fun and compelling all the way through instead of taking 99% of control away from the player at the most epic climactic moments and making you watch a cutscene of the character doing the cool thing because the gameplay systems in place can't handle it. They could make the writing support the gameplay instead of the other way around.

Servbot24

Banned
RE4 is full of QTEs. There's a boss fight that's literarily a series of QTEs for about 10 minutes. Your memory isn't great.

I said I still loved the game, so they didn't ruin it for me. I just know I would have enjoyed it more if they weren't there. I'm not expecting you to tell me anything, I'm just saying that I don't like QTEs and see them as a negative mark against any game that uses them heavily. It's fine to disagree with me, I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

That's the Kaiser knife fight right? That's the only major one in a boss fight I recall, the rest were just stuff like tapping A to push back a knife or something.

This is a dumb conversation and argument.

It's not dumb if it helps the developer improve the game.
Whether it's making the QTE less obvious, more fun or just get rid half of it, either way it's good.
Pre-release criticism (reasonable ones of course) is healthy for any game's development. Look at how DOOM evolve into one of the best game of 2016! The devs listened to people's feedback, even though most people called it ''nerd whining''.

Last thing Insominac want is to see everyone being super positive about the game only to see the game released and be seen as a disappointment. (*cough* Evolve *cough*)

Allonym

Hmm, that's fair. I thought about it and there were ways for them to accomplish a similar scene but I think it'd have to be far less chaotic, with some things being completely omitted and this likely wouldn't have made for a nearly as entertaining demo.

This is going to sound overly harsh, but since you asked:

They could make a game that's fun and compelling all the way through instead of taking 99% of control away from the player at the most epic climactic moments and making you watch a cutscene of the character doing the cool thing because the gameplay systems in place can't handle it. They could make the writing support the gameplay instead of the other way around.

Your opinion is just that, an opinion and it's ok that you don't feel that the scene in question didn't look fun. This stuff is all subjective. Personally, I thought it looked exhilarating and I'm questioning if regular, average citizens would die if Spider-Man had failed to stop the tail end of the chopper. I'm wondering would that have any impacts for Spider-Man later I to the game, like Jameson slamming Spider-Man in the news and if citizens and civil servants be as receptive of him. Maybe there's more to it than just a QTE.

The cynical part of me thinks a lot of these complaints are coming from haters who's mad that this game is exclusive. I'm quite certain that Insomniac had already addressed the QTE question multiple times at various interviews during E3.

The cynical part of me thinks a lot of the defense of QTE is due to the game being exclusive.

Should have gone with mandatory Move-controller web swinging, that would have calmed the critics.

mclem

Seems reasonable enough, but I'm giving them a whole bunch of sideeye for them using the marketing-speak 'blockbuster moment'.

Crossing Eden

Don't see how changing the symbol makes any difference.
Makes it less jarringly video gamey. The less noticeable and natural feeling it is the less it takes me out of the scene. And the less it distracts from the visuals the better. There's literally an exact moment like this in the trailer:

more this:
R7afz9D.gif
, which looks sleek and modern,

and less this:
IKBw41E.gif

which looks very obviously videogamey by comparison.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hi, PS4 owner, I didn't really like the look of the QTEs. Not everyone who isn't a fan of very video gamey looking QTEs are xbox fanboys. To me they look very video gamey juxtaposed against the otherwise incredibly realistic lighting work. I feel that modern games have become much better at hiding this by making the QTEs stick out way less. And since these were all based on the web, instead of a flashing colored circled, they could go with the symbol for webs and for the large part, people would know what to press.
lDNzZ3e.png

Like what they do in Uncharted.

3kSvsU1.gif

this to me is preferable over the obvious video game color coding if there's no option for them to auto complete.

That Spidey screenshot isn't even from a QTE dude. You don't have to swing to that water tank.

I'd like to see you nerds code a sky crane crashing into a building and have the player save it in free gameplay, no qte.

Yall some lames.

Most of the complaints against QTEs are not against how long they last, it's about how frequently they occur. If each QTE lasted 1 second and there was a 35 seconds total in 9 minutes of gameplay, it would be annoying as hell. That's an extreme example, but the point is that length of time the QTE lasts is not really the complaint.

Exactly. People will put what they see ahead of everything else.

Okay. I'm confused as to how I missed the point in this being called a QTE fest given what we saw. Don't need examples as we have actual footage and timing breakdown.

The term QTE fest was wholly inappropriate within the confines of what was shown, distaste for QTEs aside.

That's the Kaiser knife fight right? That's the only major one in a boss fight I recall, the rest were just stuff like tapping A to push back a knife or something.

There were at least 2 parts where you had to run away from a boulder, which were entirely QTEs. Del Lago was almost entire QTEs, and almost all boss fights had a decent focus on QTEs (Like El Gigante, cutting the exposed parasite). The minecart part had a bunch too.

I haven't played the game in 6 years maybe, so I know I'm forgetting some, but they were very frequent. RE4 is famous for its QTEs.

I'd like to see you nerds code a sky crane crashing into a building and have the player save it in free gameplay, no qte.

Yall some lames.

My argument would be find better ways to do big set pieces. If you can't code a sky crane crashing into a building and having the player save it in free gameplay, then come up with a different set piece.

It's not dumb if it helps the developer improve the game.
Whether it's making the QTE less obvious, more fun or just get rid half of it, either way it's good.
Pre-release criticism is healthy for any game's development.

Last thing Insominac want is to see everyone being super positive about the game only to see the game released and be seen as a disappointment. (*cough* Evolve *cough*)
Sure but the game isn't one big QTE. Everyone has a different idea of QTEs obviously, hell, someone said RE4 is one big QTE and that is bull dooky.

Some believe a game that has any button prompts on screen whatsoever qualifies as QTE heavy. While others that see it only in cutscenes is not QTE heavy.

The point is that it doesn't matter. Whether there are a little or a lot, people will still either love it, like it or hate it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Yall some lames.

Ninja Warrior it or jump off sky crane onto the ground, walk around the cars piled on the street, jump over construction, maneuver around the building, and then finally get to the objective that has stopped due to the player taking 5-6 minutes in order to travel there, and then activate the scene by pressing a button. Lol yeah just give me the QTE

Top Bottom