• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Haswell reviews embargo lifted

So are they likely to solve the heat issues, or is this probably going to be a permanent issue for Haswell?

I doubt they see it as a problem. Just would have cost them slightly more a chip to use solder. Well guess that I don't know if that is the problem since nothing I read has opened one up yet, but I would bet on it.

2500K vs 750 is a tock. Not only is the difference bigger than 3770K->4770K, but 2500K also OCed way better. That particular comparison is also biased towards 4770K. Vast majority of apps should perform the same as previous i7s. 4770K apparently will struggle to exceed 4.4 GHz with a good cooler, whereas 2500K typically got to 4.8 Hz.

The difference between the 750 and 2500K is enhanced by the fact the 2500K ships with much faster clocks too. The 750 is still a capable chip at stock, let alone oc'd to around 3.8GHz.

Kabouter

They never solved the issue with Ivy, don't hold your breath!

I doubt they see it as a problem. Just would have cost them slightly more a chip to use solder. Well guess that I don't know if that is the problem since nothing I read has opened one up yet, but I would bet on it.

Okay, thanks. Hate that this thing is so disappointing, since I basically have to buy one. AMD doesn't have a good alternative, and waiting on an upgrade is not realistic at this point. Just feels like I'm getting robbed, similar to how nVidia upped prices by a ton.

Excellent, not much of an improvement....

AMD are releasing Steamroller either Q4 2013 or Q1 2014, which has, supposedly a 30% boost in IPC over their current Piledriver CPU's like the FX8350...which should translate into them only being about 10% behind Haswell.

The more Intel rest on their laurels with releases like Haswell, the more time it gives AMD to creep back up on them.

4-8 cores @ 90% of the performance of Haswell at a cheaper price point would at least look more than respectable compared to where they are now.

Puts them back in the game...we need competition from AMD.

Pachael

Quite disappointing. I was ready for another upgrade if the performance was there but the 2500k will last me another 2 years at this rate. More dosh for the GPU though.

tensuke

AMD are releasing Steamroller either Q4 2013 or Q1 2014, which has, supposedly a 30% boost in IPC over their current Piledriver CPU's like the FX8350...which should translate into them only being about 10% behind Haswell.

Hopefully it won't be as much of a disappointment as Bulldozer was. I'll admit I'm an Intel fanboy, but it would be better if AMD were better suited to take them on and drive some real architecture change (and, heck, better pricing mostly).

Rootbeer

Banned
well, this is pretty terrible... maybe i actually can squeeze another year out of my aging i7-920... it hurts, but surely next year's processors will finally improve on the stagnation we've seen over the last two years... right? :/

Nachtmaer

Hopefully it won't be as much of a disappointment as Bulldozer was. I'll admit I'm an Intel fanboy, but it would be better if AMD were better suited to take them on and drive some real architecture change (and, heck, better pricing mostly).

Let's hope the 30% performance improvements from Steamroller turn out to be true.

1-D_FTW

As someone who has a bit of a fetish about getting the most performance per watts, these power efficiency claims about Haswell border on the retarded. I mean, yes, idle is improved even more. Which is better for battery life in the rapidly dieing notebook market (tablets are eating this segment more than anything). But the load numbers suck when comparing 4770k vs 3770k. I don't know if it's because of even worse TIM issues, but that's completely unacceptable. Unless TechReport shows this things spanks the 3770k is frame latency, this is going to turn into a dog with fleas.

My 3570K build from overclockers got trashed by the couriers and since its been sent back the Haswell chips have come out but I just can't see the point of upgrading it, especially with that insane heat output. Very disappointing

SpyGuy239

As someone who has a bit of a fetish about getting the most performance per watts, these power efficiency claims about Haswell border on the retarded. I mean, yes, idle is improved even more. Which is better for battery life in the rapidly dieing notebook market (tablets are eating this segment more than anything). But the load numbers suck when comparing 4770k vs 3770k. I don't know if it's because of even worse TIM issues, but that's completely unacceptable. Unless TechReport shows this things spanks the 3770k is frame latency, this is going to turn into a dog with fleas.

You do realize that when surfing, browsing or doing word processing etc. your CPU is not on load all the time? In fact it hardly is.

The idle improvements are up to ~30% and CPU cores can transition between power states about 25% quicker than in Ivy Bridge.

Also to quote anandtech review: "You’ll notice that I didn’t mention any of the aggressive platform power optimizations in my sections on Haswell power management, that’s because they pretty much don’t apply here. The new active idle (S0ix) states are not supported by any of the desktop SKUs. It’s only the forthcoming Y and U series parts that support S0ix."

I think we won't be getting the full picture about power efficiency until that happens :)

Of course if you're gaming...that's a whole different story entirely.

1-D_FTW

You do realize that when surfing, browsing or doing word processing etc. your CPU is not on load all the time? In fact it hardly is.

The idle improvements are up to ~30% and CPU cores can transition between power states about 25% quicker than in Ivy Bridge.

Also to quote anandtech review: "You’ll notice that I didn’t mention any of the aggressive platform power optimizations in my sections on Haswell power management, that’s because they pretty much don’t apply here. The new active idle (S0ix) states are not supported by any of the desktop SKUs. It’s only the forthcoming Y and U series parts that support S0ix."

I think we won't be getting the full picture about power efficiency until that happens :)

Of course if you're gaming...that's a whole different story entirely.

I'm not running integrated GPU. So I don't care. I've seen X-Bits labs comparing a desktop idle system at 61 watts with 3770k vs idle system of 55 watts for 4770k. 6 hole watts for a desktop idle is irrelevant (it's the equivalent of two case fans). Both numbers are so low/close it makes zero difference in the electric bill or in the heat being exhausted. It's completely irrelevant. A 4770k system pounding out 30 extra watts under load, however, does increase heat output.

Your bolded part addresses it more. I'm just saying, 60 watts idle (which is about my current system) contributes zero heat to a room. This is not where I really care about efficiency. I want it on the top end where it matters.

EDIT: I've actually estimated my current CPU uses around 30 watts at idle. So a 25 percent reduction on that would be 7 watts lower. These big percentages really don't mean anything when the base numbers are already low (at least in the desktop space not running on batteries). The majority of idle wattage already isn't from the CPU. That changes, however, under load. So it's incredible, to me, that the 3770k is so much better than the 4770k in the one area that matters.

Setsuna

n0n44m

nice notebook CPUs

disappointed about the crappy TIM under the heatspreader for the desktop versions, and not getting the Crystalwell stuff on the desktop versions (the i7 -K version should get it imho)

but really, even if they would create some awesome 8 core version that clocks up to 5 GHz, my 2600K @ 4.8 is not a bottleneck with the current games so I might as well just save my money

I'm not that excited by the price/performance of the latest graphics cards either, so I probably won't be upgrading anything this summer :(

KKRT00

no it doesnt

it only seems like it because the 4600 in the tests are not limited to a max frame rate of 30 frames per second

allowing them to get a slightly higher frame rate than the ps3 and 360

It runs Crysis 3 on higher settings, with higher resolution and with higher framerates than consoles. Same goes for Hitman, Bioshock, Tomb Raider and Battlefield. Yes, it outperforms current gen consoles.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, it's actually happening. I'm keeping my i7-2600k until Skylake, fucking four years for a CPU upgrade.

That shit is depressing, man. I wish AMD had it in them to actually compete, the desktop market has been stagnating as a direct result of their inability to do so.

kharma45

So uhh... is Haswell worth getting after all or should I just go with the 3770K?

I'm stuck in two minds at the minute since the Haswell mobos are fair bit more expensive than their Z77 cousins. If you can afford the extra I would go Haswell.

1-D_FTW

I would wait until TechReport publishes their reviews.

Right now, in the mainstream category, the 3770k is the frame latency leader by a good margin (handily besting the 3570k in this category). If the 4770k sets a new bar, at least it's something to consider. But if it's running neck and neck, I'd go 3770k. Cheaper and more efficient under load.

jchap

I wonder when the first Iris Pro laptops and convertibles will start being announced. Something like a Lenovo Helix with Iris Pro is what I'm hoping for.

Wubby

Well, it's actually happening. I'm keeping my i7-2600k until Skylake, fucking four years for a CPU upgrade.

That shit is depressing, man. I wish AMD had it in them to actually compete, the desktop market has been stagnating as a direct result of their inability to do so.

Progress has definitely slowed. On the other hand I'm really getting my moneys worth of this 2600k I bought on launch day.

What is the pricing for these haswell and is ivy bridge getting a price cut?

EoY09Pd.png

Ehhh this sucks especially with the fact next gen CPUs are much weaker combined with AMD offering no competition. Intel has very little reason to increase performance. With CPU power stagnate hopefully Nvidia and AMD still compete or PC gaming in general will stagnate in the future.

Actually, AMD Jaguar is the best CPU in terms of Watt/performance. It beats any current Intel low power solution at the same frequency. However, Intel clearly have the leads in high performance CPUs.

http://beta.fool.com/peterpham8/2013/03/03/amd-pounces-intel-jaguar/25663/

The latest numbers we’ve seen have a 5.9W quad-core Temash outperforms a 17W Core i-3 Sandy Bridge in Cinebench R11.5, a benchmark usually very favorable to Intel’s single-threaded performance at 1.4GHz for both CPU’s. Temash did this at one-third the power draw with a chip 30% smaller. Frankly, this is close to disruptive chip technology as it is capable of bringing x86 power and compatibility realistically into the range of mobile and ultra-mobile devices like smartphones.

aeolist

Banned

i want amd to do as well as the next guy but this sounds really suspect to me. 30% IPC improvements when they'll still be on 32/28nm with a high TDP and die size... i'm doubtful.

nbthedude

haswell is a mobile focused part, it'd be good if you're buying a laptop but for desktops there's no reason to pay a premium over IVB

Totally agreed. Maybe if you are only paying $20 or so more than an Ivy on the processor or motherboard, but the lack of OC makes it a wash. Sandy and Ivy Bridge were already great and are still great.

If I were building right now, I wold look for a deal on Ivys.

I am still running a 5 year old Lynfield which still runs most games at high settings. This info certainly satiated the upgrade bug I was feeling.

aeolist

Banned
it's a real fucking shame they're not offering the crystalwell edram die on any socketed desktop parts though, a huge fast L4 CPU cache would be great for so many workloads on the desktop even if you don't use the iGPU at all
so if i buy a laptop with Haswell will it play current gen games easily with integrated gfx

it appears to do OK at 1366x768 medium/low settings for most games, you'll see ~30fps most of the time

compared to previous intel graphics it's a huge leap, not really something that can stand on its own if you're serious about quality though

aeolist

Banned
Totally agreed. Maybe if you are only paying $20 or so more than an Ivy on the processor or motherboard, but the lack of OC makes it a wash. Sandy and Ivy Bridge were already great and are still great.

If I were building right now, I wold look for a deal on Ivys.

I am still running a 5 year old Lynfield which still runs most games at high settings. This info certainly satiated the upgrade bug I was feeling.

i'm on a bloomfield i7 960 and i'd like to upgrade but right now the only reason would be integrated PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, and SATA 6

i'd probably even go with AMD's zambezi chips since they would cost so much less and the performance difference would be negligible for my use cases

SpyGuy239

I'm not running integrated GPU. So I don't care. I've seen X-Bits labs comparing a desktop idle system at 61 watts with 3770k vs idle system of 55 watts for 4770k. 6 hole watts for a desktop idle is irrelevant (it's the equivalent of two case fans). Both numbers are so low/close it makes zero difference in the electric bill or in the heat being exhausted. It's completely irrelevant. A 4770k system pounding out 30 extra watts under load, however, does increase heat output.

Your bolded part addresses it more. I'm just saying, 60 watts idle (which is about my current system) contributes zero heat to a room. This is not where I really care about efficiency. I want it on the top end where it matters.

EDIT: I've actually estimated my current CPU uses around 30 watts at idle. So a 25 percent reduction on that would be 7 watts lower. These big percentages really don't mean anything when the base numbers are already low (at least in the desktop space not running on batteries). The majority of idle wattage already isn't from the CPU. That changes, however, under load. So it's incredible, to me, that the 3770k is so much better than the 4770k in the one area that matters.

yeah you're right there. These are definitely laptop focused parts. I wonder how much an improvement it will give to mobile computing and I'm slightly excited about it.

Begs the question though, if you are building a new PC in the next month, do you go for Haswell with LGA 1150? or stick with Ivy and 1155 and run the risk of not being able to upgrade your CPU in the future?

mkenyon

Banned
i'm on a bloomfield i7 960 and i'd like to upgrade but right now the only reason would be integrated PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, and SATA 6

i'd probably even go with AMD's zambezi chips since they would cost so much less and the performance difference would be negligible for my use cases
So you don't play games then?
Begs the question though, if you are building a new PC in the next month, do you go for Haswell with LGA 1150? or stick with Ivy and 1155 and run the risk of not being able to upgrade your CPU in the future?
Buying Haswell gives you one thing, which is an upgrade to Broadwell. We'll likely see a similar 4-10% increase, but hey, those small numbers add up over time.
I thought this was a review thread.
Not dick sucking that makes me want to throw up.
Shots fired!! I thought I was the bad cop?

Fezan

it appears to do OK at 1366x768 medium/low settings for most games, you'll see ~30fps most of the time

compared to previous intel graphics it's a huge leap, not really something that can stand on its own if you're serious about quality though

The games would only perform a bit better than current gen consoles.

so better option is to go with amd 8730 and ivy-bridge i5 ?

Top Bottom