• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
toasty_T said:
Time to put my Q6600 to rest.

I have that exact same processor. I think it might be time for me to upgrade as well.

Impressive performance for the price.

antonz

Yep its time for my Q9450 to go to the backup pile. Has done me well considering when overclocked it out performed the QX9770

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, what is AMD's upgrade shaping up to be? I think I heard it will at least still use the AM3 slot, but anything else?

bbyybb said:
I have that exact same processor. I think it might be time for me to upgrade as well.

Same here :lol

was waiting for this...looks like it might just be that time...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
bbyybb said:

That's the key for me. Even the lower end of the two is impressive, and doesn't seem to be crazy expensive. While not a huge leap over the current i7 processors they are being compared to i7s and not i5s as well as the higher end AMD stuff that is quad and hexa core.

If your running a high clock dual core or OG quad I think this shows it's finally worth your while to upgrade without bending you over cash wise. I do wonder how much the new CPU would push late in life DX10 cards though like the 4850 or 4870 that I know a lot of people are still rocking.

Makes me happy to see these though as I planned on a cpu/ram/mobo upgrade over the summer, and maybe a gpu and/or ssd card at some point as well.

element

Sinatar said:
So it's more a mid tier replacement (at least so far). My i7 950 lives on.
The first two CPUs are mid tier, but they are the first to use the new 1155 socket, which Intel said they plan to use for the next two years. They will have a refresh in a couple months with extreme processors running on 1155.

Vanillalite

Fredescu said:
Can't see why you'd upgrade to these from an overclocked core 2 quad for gaming.

Really? Benchmarks seem to be a clear step up IMO as long as you are running at 1080p or better resolution. Granted I could see why for many a GPU upgrade might give you more performance for your dollar, but I wouldn't say there's no reason to upgrade.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fredescu said:
Can't see why you'd upgrade to these from an overclocked core 2 quad for gaming.

You wouldn't upgrade if you were on a 1366 or 1156 setup. If you had a 775 then it might be worth a look.

But you do have to remember these are the mainstream sandy bridge chips, the enthusiast stuff comes out later on in the year, Probably around the same time as AMDs Bulldozer.

Vanillalite

evlcookie said:
You wouldn't upgrade if you were on a 1366 or 1156 setup. If you had a 775 then it might be worth a look.

But you do have to remember these are the mainstream sandy bridge chips, the enthusiast stuff comes out later on in the year, Probably around the same time as AMDs Bulldozer.

Yeah it's the 775 stuff that would benefit. If you already have a 1366 or 1156 your fine for a few years honestly gaming wise.

Jin34

element said:
The first two CPUs are mid tier, but they are the first to use the new 1155 socket, which Intel said they plan to use for the next two years. They will have a refresh in a couple months with extreme processors running on 1155.

I think you got that wrong, these are the upper tier 1155 cpus. In the second half of the year the 2011 socket chips come out which replace the 1366 chips, these will be the 6-8 core sandy bridge cpus with quad channel memory. Then a year from now Ivy Bridge (die shrunk Sandy Bridge) comes out to supplant the cpus we see here. From their comments about how long this socket will last I assume Ivy Bridge chips will run on these boards too, I see no architectural change that would require a new socket.

loosus

Banned
Jin34 said:
I think you got that wrong, these are the upper tier 1155 cpus. In the second half of the year the 2011 socket chips come out which replace the 1366 chips, these will be the 6-8 core sandy bridge cpus with quad channel memory. Then a year from now Ivy Bridge (die shrunk Sandy Bridge) comes out to supplant the cpus we see here. From their comments about how long this socket will last I assume Ivy Bridge chips will run on these boards too, I see no architectural change that would require a new socket.
Just for my own sanity purposes, when you say the "2011 socket chips," you mean a socket with 2011 lands, right? Not the year 2011?

Drkirby said:
So, what is AMD's upgrade shaping up to be? I think I heard it will at least still use the AM3 slot, but anything else?

Negatory batman, Bulldozer requres AM3+, Bulldozer will be the first new architecture from AMD in a good while (everything from them has been based on K8. I hope it delivers because Intel is straight up bitch slapping AMD every which way.

Fredescu

Brettison said:
Really? Benchmarks seem to be a clear step up IMO as long as you are running at 1080p or better resolution.
How many games do these get you 60fps where you otherwise wouldn't have with an overclocked Q6600 or say an X4 640?

Jin34

loosus said:
Just for my own sanity purposes, when you say the "2011 socket chips," you mean a socket with 2011 lands, right? Not the year 2011?

Sorry. I meant LGA 2011 motherboards and yes 2011 in this case doesn't refer to the year. That will be the very high end board.

Reading the Anand review I hope Intel explains what the hell that SSD cache feature on the hybrid Z68 boards that come out in Q2 does. Sounds like it could be something that in tandem with their new SSDs simplifies their use.

Sutanreyu

I've been holding out for quite a while... I guess I have something to save for, now. My E8400 has been pretty great.

Shambles

Just starting to read through some reviews but good to know that intel integrated graphics are still an absolute joke for this day and age :lol 3000 only on K processors what a joke.

element said:

Extreme processors on 1155? Sounds highly implausible. 2011 is where the Extreme line is going, more likely than not, and Q4 is later than expected.

First I've read about Z68, btw. Wasn't there something about a driver that switches between the internal HD Graphics and the graphics card to save power? Because that would be nifty.

Jin34

Having gone through the whole Anan review I got a few things I hope they add this week:

1. Reviews of Asus/Gigabyte boards, the review was only with the Intel board that came with the chip.

2. Some OCing with aftermarket coolers to see how high you can go while staying stable.

For you guys that are going to buy these as soon as they come out: Anand states that H67 boards can't OC your CPU even if it's unlocked, you have to use a P67 board.

Jin34

cartman414 said:
Extreme processors on 1155? Sounds highly implausible. 2011 is where the Extreme line is going, more likely than not, and Q4 is later than expected.

First I've read about Z68, btw. Wasn't there something about a driver that switches between the internal HD Graphics and the graphics card to save power? Because that would be nifty.

I think that was from a 3rd party, Lucidity I think they were called.

ZoddGutts

Jin34 said:
Having gone through the whole Anan review I got a few things I hope they add this week:

1. Reviews of Asus/Gigabyte boards, the review was only with the Intel board that came with the chip.

2. Some OCing with aftermarket coolers to see how high you can go while staying stable.

For you guys that are going to buy these as soon as they come out: Anand states that H67 boards can't OC your CPU even if it's unlocked, you have to use a P67 board.

Shit don't have the money too buy the more expenseive P67 mother boards. fuck

Fredescu said:
How many games do these get you 60fps where you otherwise wouldn't have with an overclocked Q6600 or say an X4 640?

I'm in your camp and here are some numbers to somewhat sorta-ish help place an oc'd qxxx on that chart. However, to be fair, if you are OC'ing your Qxxx, then it would only be fair to compare it against an OC's Sandy Bridge which you presumably would also overclock.

aeolist

Banned
Jin34 said:

Anyone buying one for gaming would be going with the P67 anyway since they won't need the onboard video

Shambles

CabbageRed said:
I'm in your camp and here are some numbers to somewhat sorta-ish help place an oc'd qxxx on that chart. However, to be fair, if you are OC'ing your Qxxx, then it would only be fair to compare it against an OC's Sandy Bridge which you presumably would also overclock.

It's more to see where the bottlenecks are. It wouldn't be fair to compare an overclocked C2Q vs SB for CPU tests but if the C2Q overclocked is bottlenecked by the GPU you'd be using there's no point in upgrading to the faster SB chip until you end up with a faster GPU that will take advantage of the CPU.

Not even closing the newegg tab in my browser until these drop. Don't care how many days away it is. Constant refreshing throughout the day.

Jin34

aeolist said:
Anyone buying one for gaming would be going with the P67 anyway since they won't need the onboard video

While that's true, a lot of the improvements in Sandy Bridge helps more in non-gaming apps, and they may not care about discrete gpus as the IGP inside kicks all sorts of ass for everything non gaming. Or they might just want the backup of having an igp in case their card gets damaged. Sadly if you want both you are out of luck until the Z68 boards in Q2.

Top Bottom