• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JADS said:
UUugghhh

I want to overclock but I also want to use Quickpath. No USB3? Guess I will wait an other year :lol
Boards use it, just have 2 slots.
add on cards are also like $10

element

LiquidMetal14 said:
Based on the charts I take it this would be a better choice over a Phenom II x6 1090T?
yes, especially since you can overclock to 4.5 GHz with stock cooling.

eso76

Q6600 owner here !
I'm wondering what kind of upgrade i would see in rendering times (After Effects, Lightwave, Cinema 4d etc.).
I really have no idea, been out of the loop for too long

Minsc

Gold Member
Things don't look so bad comparing it to a 3.3 ghz i7 920... until it's overclocked. Oh well, my cpu will march on for a while yet!

element

I'm wondering what kind of upgrade i would see in rendering times (After Effects, Lightwave, Cinema 4d etc.).
you would see a big improvement, almost double in some situations without even overclocking.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Minsc said:
Things don't look so bad comparing it to a 3.3 ghz i7 920... until it's overclocked. Oh well, my cpu will march on for a while yet!
Good luck getting that i7 anywhere near 5+GHZ.

element

LiquidMetal14 said:
1 more question about a motherboard. This one here would work fine?
no. that is a 1156 motherboard. sandy bridge is 1155. the embargo was lifted today, and technically not official yet until CES. Give it a week or so for the cpu and mobo show up on newegg.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
element said:
no. that is a 1156 motherboard. sandy bridge is 1155. the embargo was lifted today, and technically not official yet until CES. Give it a week or so for the cpu and mobo show up on newegg.
Thanks for the responses! Hopefully the motherboard is not too expensive as I plan on getting the 2600k unless the motherboard is too much. Unfortunately I am on a budget right now.

Reading one of the reviews, looks like the cheapest might be in the 160 range (ASUS P8P67). Higher than what I had in mind but if it means running this processor then I will bite.

Canova

Banned
hteng said:
the new high end MSI, ASUS, Sager, Alienwares will be utilizing it. BUT, you must make sure it supports switchable graphics card, or else it's really nothing more than just a processor speed upgrade. The speed is not really utilized nowadays, even my QM740 is plentiful for games nowadays.

the real power of these new chips are the IGPs, when not using intensive gaming, it will switch to the IGP to conserve battery. Gaming notebooks nowadays has very shitty battery life and this new tech will help tremendously. you get the best of both worlds.

thanx for the explanation.

Since I'm in the market for gaming laptop, I guess it makes sense to wait for this thing to hit the market.

Wallach

I can't really justify this considering my i5-750, but I like what I see. In particular the OC headroom and temps seem pretty damn impressive. Can't wait to see what people manage to squeeze out of these chips.

LiquidMetal14

Wallach said:
I can't really justify this considering my i5-750, but I like what I see. In particular the OC headroom and temps seem pretty damn impressive. Can't wait to see what people manage to squeeze out of these chips.
If these are the entry level price friendly entries, I can't wait to see the more hardcore pieces. That and AMD's offering later this year. I am ready to pull the trigger on this processor though. I just got a second hand 2 core athlon and already have the itch to upgrade to a gaming class setup. I will have to settle or save for a month to get a Radeon 6970 but it will be worth it.

LiquidMetal14

The Bookerman said:
Question: If I wanna use the onboard GPU, am I forced to buy the H67 board?
Cause I'd buy a GPU a bit later.
Good qustion I'd like to know an answer to as well. And on one of the other reviews for and 1156 motherboard I read that if you have a PCI card (for testing) the video will not output and there is no documentation on it. The regular DVI/VGA out worked but if I were a casual not in the know I would think the board was broke. I hope these sets actually work like they're meant to.

Pretty soon I'll be double and triple posting :p

FJ0372

Hey guys, was just wondering whether its worth/possible it to upgrade from I7 920 OC'ed to 4 Ghz? (with corsair H50 I think).

LiquidMetal14

FJ0372 said:
Hey guys, was just wondering whether its worth/possible it to upgrade from I7 920 OC'ed to 4 Ghz? (with corsair H50 I think).
I'm not the expert but based on the answer to my own question it seems like you will need a new motherboard for this piece. As far as your performance goes, even from my readings, your spec looks good. It would be an upgrade though to go to this but it doesn't seem like you are that inferior. I'm not the expert though :p I just happen to be doing a lot of reading on this as I'm upgrading soon.

ascii42

Hmm. Maybe when Apple gets these I'll finally replace my 2005 Power Mac G5. I could replace my Vaio, but I think it's got a couple more years left.

I've been doing some reading and .... Is this right? The onboard GPU can only be used through micro-ATX boards? WTF is this bullshit?

What's up with this shit?

Mr_Brit

Banned
ascii42 said:
Hmm. Maybe when Apple gets these I'll finally replace my 2005 Power Mac G5. I could replace my Vaio, but I think it's got a couple more years left.
That should have been replaced years ago.

bee

6 days till these go on sale, will be getting the 2500k, asus p67 pro, 2133mhz ram and a converter bolt thru kit for my existing cpu cooler

deathberry

Neo Member
The Bookerman said:
I've been doing some reading and .... Is this right? The onboard GPU can only be used through micro-ATX boards? WTF is this bullshit?

What's up with this shit?

To answer your first question, the P67 motherboards do not have an onboard DVI/HDMI out, so you'll have to get and H67 motherboard. Secondly, I have only seen an ECS and an Intel H67 motherboard, both of them were mATX sizes,so what you've read is probably right.

ascii42

Mr_Brit said:
That should have been replaced years ago.
It still works just fine, but support is dwindling. The damn thing cost me $1800 bucks, so I ought to get a decent life span out of it. 6 years is a long time though.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Excellent. Upgrading will go down once these come out. My E6600 is dragging me down. There are games I can't really play with the damn thing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
For some like me who got my C2D 4600 for free this is worth as I can finally spend my money on a total new package. Combined with the new gpus I should go from a mid tier that is clearly behind to a mid tier that will be eventually used well.

matmanx1

Extremely nice numbers and just what I was hoping to see from this new line of chips. Here's hoping the supply is good when the launch hits and I can find a good mobo for my new 2500k! :D

Seriously, my whole new build is being held up while waiting for the launch of these things.

Rolf NB

Is there anything Intel on the horizon with at least 6 physical cores and an IGP? Right now this all seems to top out at 4 cores w/ IGP, which is already an improvement over last years 2 cores max, but still not enough for me, trying to justify a full mobo/CPU/RAM switch. Fullscreen Youtube videos is really all I want from my GPU. But I need CPU cores, fast ones, and many.

Chris R

Yay for having stuff to read during my lunch break. I won't be temped to upgrade from my q9550, it is still wicked fast, I just need to figure out how to get a stable oc on my pos mobo.

My brother needs a new cpu/mobo though :lol

Impressive stuff.

I think my desktop CPU stands up ok against the i5 2500K. It obviously doesn't come close to the overclocking potential but it should be fine where it's at for a few years. However, I may replace my laptop sometime this year.

Durante

Desktop performance isn't really that impressive. Some more OC headroom, but lower memory bandwidth compared to the triple channel i7s. And the inability to do bus overclocking hurts.

For laptops OTOH the improvements are awesome. Power scaling from 10W to 89W is very nice.

Pachael

Righto - AMD are hopefully going to drop prices quick snap to pounce on the budget and lower mainstream markets now that these look to blow whatever they have out of the water (till Bulldozer?)

Durante said:
Desktop performance isn't really that impressive. Some more OC headroom, but lower memory bandwidth compared to the triple channel i7s. And the inability to do bus overclocking hurts.

For laptops OTOH the improvements are awesome. Power scaling from 10W to 89W is very nice.

Speaking as a gamer, I'm seeing nothing that warrants an upgrade from my 3.42ghz q6600 tbh. Its still incredibly rare that I'm CPU bottlenecked.

I just couldn't make an upgrade these days without an increase in core count either. That's where the big performance gains have been coming recently.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Durante said:

Much greater OC headroom, you can get 1GHZ on stock cooling. Memory bandwidth isn't even close to being an issue on dual channel setups so I don't see how you can claim that being a downside. Bus overclocking was a waste of time anyways, multiplier OCing is quicker and easier and gets you pretty much exactly the same results and also means that you don't have to OC every other component on your PC when OCing your CPU which means you don't have to stability test any other components and also means that you can get cheaper memory instead of splurging on 'Hyper 1337zzzzz hacking 2000MHZ memory'.

jmdajr

I went from an original Amd AthlonXP to a Core 2 Quad

I still need a good 4 / 3 more years or so before I upgrade!

Haswell (microarchitecture) for me

Top Bottom