• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
No_Style said:
Will this finally mean the clearance of Core 2 Quad processors? I wanted to pick up Q9550 (or a Q9550S!) for super cheap for my brother's rig.

Or is this just wishful thinking?
Sorry, old parts tend to increase on price. Unless you are on the used market.

I'm still running a Core 2 Duo Exxxx with GeForce 8600 ultra

The 2500K has 4 cores and an integrated Intel Extreme 3000, which performance-wise is comparable or even better than the 8600, correct?

I forgot to mention that this is for a gaming-capable HTPC, so everyone mentioning discrete graphics are missing the mark unless they're specifically referring to half-height cards.

The Abominable Snowman said:

The 2500K has 4 cores and an integrated Intel Extreme 3000, which performance-wise is comparable or even better than the 8600, correct?

I forgot to mention that this is for a gaming-capable HTPC, so everyone mentioning discrete graphics are missing the mark unless they're specifically referring to half-height cards.

GF 8600 series had an Ultra version? I remember only GT and GTS.

What's an 8600 Ultra?

And no, even if that's an 8600GT you have, the Intel graphics will still be slower, though there won't be a load in it. Might be an interesting comparison if that 8600 uses DDR2 memory, still not worth an upgrade on the graphics side.

There's plenty of fast half height dedicated GPUs, these days.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

I just picked up a GT430. Its low profile and the one I have only takes up one slot and is pretty short, it has HDMI 1.4a support, it is powerful enough for high settings 720p gaming and some mid settings 1080p gaming, runs nice and cool and costs about $50-60 after rebate. Its a very nice card for a HTPC.

It's a shame that Intel is imposing so many artificial limitations on parts and chipsets. There are going to be scores of unhappy buyers in the coming months.

nubbe said:
Good boost in Performance per Watt

But I'm not buying anything less than 12 cores.
Right...

careful

Around $200 for the 25K is not too bad, but I don't want to shell out for a brand new mobo and memory. I have an E8400-GTX260 setup and I feel the 260 is holding me back more than the E8400. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 470 or 6870.

EmSeta said:
Bring on the new MacBook Pros! :D
This.

Though my wallet won't be ready for another couple of months. Hopefully we'll be able to get a decent Quad Core in the low-end 15" models. At this point, there really isn't any excuse, and I figure whatever GPU they put in there will be overkill for most purposes.

Dennis

Banned
nubbe said:
Fuck that intel crap

12 core AMD Opteron goodness
LOL AMD

If you are on a poor mans budget, I guess.....

Sad really about AMD. Ever since the magnificent Athlon 64 days it has been all down hill.

Jin34

brain_stew said:
The architecture might make a nice server chip, though.

That's their goal. They've all but admitted that it won't match SB on a per clock basis, they are going for multi-threaded performance.

Weenerz

Banned
With how good these SB chips are, I don't see much benefit besides price with going the AMD route. Perhaps their next revision will be better performing, but they've been promising this for a while.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It's very tempting to upgrade my C2D E7200 @ 3.2 and 4850 to a 2500k and 6950 unlocked to a 6970. But i just can't see it happening either. My setup has lasted me just about 2 and a half years. I can still play everything at 1920x1200 at a decent frame rate, while some settings will be low it really doesn't bother me.

So i guess i need to get gather up some more patience and wait for Bulldozer or Ivy bridge for my next upgrade.

Crysis 2 is probably the only game that i think is coming out this year that might make my system cry. Time will tell :lol

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Guess I'll retire the Q9550 to an HTPC and pick up an i7-2600K before Crysis 2 comes out. All thats left to decide is if I should replace the Radeon 5870 as well. I'm thinking it should be "enough", but we'll see. I don't expect 1920x1200 at constant 60fps, but as long as I can have the pretties on and hit 60fps occasionally I should be ok.

Weenerz

Banned
DKo5 said:
Guess I'll retire the Q9550 to an HTPC and pick up an i7-2600K before Crysis 2 comes out. All thats left to decide is if I should replace the Radeon 5870 as well. I'm thinking it should be "enough", but we'll see. I don't expect 1920x1200 at constant 60fps, but as long as I can have the pretties on and hit 60fps occasionally I should be ok.

GTX 580 with tri-sli imo. :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Are the K line of i5s and i7s with a unlocked multiplier? tested.com says they are "fully overclockable processors".

If they are, the new i72600k costs only 315usds and runs at 3.4-3.8? That's amazing.

My 999,99USDs QX6700 is a joke nowdays.

Pretty good timing and pricing for me, I may be using part of our tax return for a new HTPC (that will also be used to run Dolphin and PCSX2 and god knows what else). That i5 2500k is looking mighty nice.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
drizzle said:
Are the K line of i5s and i7s with a unlocked multiplier? tested.com says they are "fully overclockable processors".

If they are, the new i72600k costs only 315usds and runs at 3.4-3.8? That's amazing.

My 999,99USDs QX6700 is a joke nowdays.
the k line has an unlocked multiplier, and yeah, the value in these chips is downright fabulous. anandtech was able to push the 2500k to 4.4ghz using the stock cooler, which is bananas.

Datschge

Rur0ni said:
Seems Intel removes VT-d from the K version CPU. What kind of stuff is that?
Typical for Intel. One reason AMD deserves more sympathy.

Edit: Did any review test Open CL support and performance on the chips? Can't find any mention anywhere.

rc213

That i5-2500K Model with the onboard HD 3000 GPU looks fucking awesome. The Video encoding looks pretty great too.

i5-2500K looks to be about $210+, Anyone know what a simple board will go for?

Damn fine CPU there. Pretty awesome how much you can overclock.

Though, if people already got a AMD Phenom II, or Intel i5-i7 series clocked passed 3.0 Ghz, the performance isn't worth it compared to getting a better graphics card when you have to get a new motherboard with the CPU.

I'm going to be just fine with my i7 I only got a month ago.

rc213 said:
That i5-2500K Model with the onboard HD 3000 GPU looks fucking awesome. The Video encoding looks pretty great too.

Unless you want a micro ATX board, forget about the onboard GPU.

rc213

The Bookerman said:

You have to pair with a chipset that only comes in the micro ATX? I could swing that, I am looking for a silent system compared to my Q6600/P43 setup. Don't do much gaming just surfing the web and encoding videos to my iPhone. So if I can get a nice board to pair it with without breaking the bank I might bite.

Mr. Wonderful said:
This.

Though my wallet won't be ready for another couple of months. Hopefully we'll be able to get a decent Quad Core in the low-end 15" models. At this point, there really isn't any excuse, and I figure whatever GPU they put in there will be overkill for most purposes.
word.

but the only way I update my current MBP is if the new MBP's run cooler.

I was gaming on it under Windows last night...the CPU in that bitch went up to 105C!

105C. smh.

actually, it's probably not the hardware's fault. it never goes over 85C in OSX when gaming.

interestingly, the GPU never goes over 80C in Windows or OSX. it's something with the CPU. :-/

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ravidrath said:
Think there's any chance these will end up in the presumed April MacBook Pros?

Apple isn't always the fastest in adopting new chip tech

Vormund

Its just a codename. Easier to use to identify what we're talking about since it's still technically called i5/7.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
toasty_T said:
Is there any benefit in having native USB 3.0 support over the way it's being implemented now?

Yeah. If you plan to get anything Apple, they'll only support what's native in order to cut down costs.

Which means no USB 3.0 in this year's crop of Macbooks and iMacs.

Psy-Phi

As nice as these seem on paper, the gaming that I care about doesn't look that far improved (not $400 improved I mean, which is about what it'd cost to just replace the mobo, ram and CPU) over my Q9550 and 8GB of RAM. I tried a few games this morning before work and my frame rate is higher than the Q6 they quote (I wish they gave resolution information). But yeah....I'm over paying hundreds for a 10 FPS increase, and in the games that are in the hundreds it doesn't really matter since I'm already in the 100's.

Waiting for more information related to gaming. As it stands now, don't think I'll upgrade.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Yeah. If you plan to get anything Apple, they'll only support what's native in order to cut down costs.

Apple has expressed a good deal of interest in Light Peak, which conveniently fits right into Intel's plans.

The Bookerman said:
rc213 said:

Not quite.
There will be ATX boards with video output.

rc213 said:
You have to pair with a chipset that only comes in the micro ATX? I could swing that, I am looking for a silent system compared to my Q6600/P43 setup. Don't do much gaming just surfing the web and encoding videos to my iPhone. So if I can get a nice board to pair it with without breaking the bank I might bite.
Be careful selecting a board. Some will not be capable of overclocking in any significant way (if that matters to you).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
·feist· said:
Apple has expressed a good deal of interest in Light Peak, which conveniently fits right into Intel's plans.

Be it as it may, Apple's not gonna support anything that isn't on the basic chipset in order to cut down costs.

Which still means, no USB 3 this year for iMacs and Macbooks.

But of course, feel free to argue that some future technology Apple has expressed interest in is enough to justify the fact they have 1800$ laptops shipping with USB 2.

By the way, Apple expressed a lot of interest on BluRay up to the point of becoming part of it, yet the actual technology is nowhere to be seen in its lineup. So don't raise your hopes on Light Peak...

TheExodu5

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
what performance intensive PC games do you play on a regular basis that could possibly warrant you upgrade your current rig?

Emulation is probably the answer. Only real reason to upgrade from i5/i7.

Heh, reminds me of a co-worker I joked with who already had a i7 950 and then bought the hexacore afterwards.

I'm like, is the 2-3 frames more even worth it? And then I realized his machine was already overclocked...and said "Scratch that? What extra frames?"

EDIT:

Though the guy did do video encoding, so at least he had an applicable reason for to take advantage of the processor.

The Bookerman said:
Problem is, I haven't seen any!
They'll be on the market in a few months.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Be it as it may, Apple's not gonna support anything that isn't on the basic chipset in order to cut down costs.

Which still means, no USB 3 this year for iMacs and Macbooks.

But of course, feel free to argue that some future technology Apple has expressed interest in is enough to justify the fact they have 1800$ laptops shipping with USB 2.

By the way, Apple expressed a lot of interest on BluRay up to the point of becoming part of it, yet the actual technology is nowhere to be seen in its lineup. So don't raise your hopes on Light Peak...
Argue?

I didn't say anything was confirmed, just interest expressed

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/11/30/company.rumored.as.early.light.peak.adopter/
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/exclusive-apple-dictated-light-peak-creation-to-intel-could-be/
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/light-peak-coming-to-the-mac-in-2011/8607

There's a reason I don't have a single Mac product. I don't defend Apple's business practices anymore than I would Intel's.

Dreams-Visions said:
word.

but the only way I update my current MBP is if the new MBP's run cooler.

I was gaming on it under Windows last night...the CPU in that bitch went up to 105C!

105C. smh.

actually, it's probably not the hardware's fault. it never goes over 85C in OSX when gaming.

interestingly, the GPU never goes over 80C in Windows or OSX. it's something with the CPU. :-/
Maybe the new version of Turboboost will help with that? Though of course it depends on what you're coming from. Coming from a 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo Unibody Macbook is going to make me feel like an All-Powerful Genie.

Best part is? My model is still be listed for about $850 Used on Amazon.
Bitmap Frogs said:

Eh. Doesn't bother me. Personally, I would like a new computer now, and for an external storage drive, Firewire 800 will be ample enough. Yeah, it still won't be full speed, but for an external, it'll be pretty dang fast.

Top Bottom