• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

Shambles

ntropy said:

My god they're still limiting SATA3 to only 2 ports? Might as well start releasing AGP GPUs while they're at it. I think i'll wait until they refresh the series to the way SB "should have been". It will be nice to be surprised by AM3+ parts but i'm not hoping my breath looking at these graphs.

Holy ass, stable 4.4ghz on stock air cooling? That's completely insane. I'm definitely getting a 2500k when I put together my upgrade later this month.

Shambles said:
My god they're still limiting SATA3 to only 2 ports? Might as well start releasing AGP GPUs while they're at it. I think i'll wait until they refresh the series to the way SB "should have been". It will be nice to be surprised by AM3+ parts but i'm not hoping my breath looking at these graphs.

The only thing that can really max out a SATA2 port is a high-end SSD, though. Until we have applications that really need that kind of transfer speed for internal components, I don't mind waiting.

Jesus fuck can we get some USB3 up in this joint, though. That's the only negative I see, and USB3 can vastly improve transfer rates on compatible thumb drives... which is an important application these days.

Shambles said:
It's more to see where the bottlenecks are. It wouldn't be fair to compare an overclocked C2Q vs SB for CPU tests but if the C2Q overclocked is bottlenecked by the GPU you'd be using there's no point in upgrading to the faster SB chip until you end up with a faster GPU that will take advantage of the CPU.

Yep, and one of the main reasons I'll likely be upgrading to a Sandy Bridge (I kept reading "South Bridge" in your post :p ). Things went wonky with my hardware plans for this year and I now have a 5970 sitting on top of a q9550 @ 3.6ghz. I'd be much more comfortable if it were cuddling with a Sandy Bridge @ ~4.0ghz.

Shambles

SpaceDrake said:
The only thing that can really max out a SATA2 port is a high-end SSD, though. Until we have applications that really need that kind of transfer speed for internal components, I don't mind waiting.

Jesus fuck can we get some USB3 up in this joint, though. That's the only negative I see, and USB3 can vastly improve transfer rates on compatible thumb drives... which is an important application these days.

Since I'm not an Apple user I don't plan on buying new hardware every 9-12 months and I expect any hardware I purchase to work well with products over the next several years.

If they end up putting the 3000 parts on the mobile chips that at least will be pretty awesome though.

quest

Not Banned from OT
miladesn said:
mobile ones are really impressive
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape
looking at my own 720qm and specs of 2720qm is so sad :( . that QC turbo clock.

for comparison:

QC
720qm ~1.7ghz
2720qm ~3ghz

DC
720qm ~2.4ghz
2720qm ~3.2ghz

SC
720qm ~2.8ghz
2720qm ~3.3ghz

DDR3
720qm 1333
2720qm 1600

and of course 2720qm has IGP. TDP is same.
damn.

Just disapointed the GPU still sucks. Was hoping it would be 5650 level so I would not need a discreet card. Getting a new laptop/DTR in about 6 weeks. So kind of bummed out.

sikkinixx said:
my E8400 is starting to be an man old *tear*

Goodness, yes. My old e6400 computer has been shedding parts left and right over the last 6 months due to hardware failure. She desperately needs to be retired.

whitehawk said:
I have no idea what this means.
Low end graphics cards are nearly obsolete since SB offers equivalent performance with just integrated graphics. Also ridiculous battery life for laptops; one of the tests had nearly eight hours of battery on one charge for a 71 Whr battery.

No_Style

Some thoughts after perusing AnandTech's review

No native USB 3.0 is disappointing.

Quick Sync seems awesome, but it sucks that you need to actually connect a monitor to the IGP in order to use it.

Gaming performance increase is nice, but at what resolution were those benchmarks run at?

Most impressed by the power consumption. Damn!

A real kicker:
P67 only for full OCing? But if I wanted to use the IGP for Quick Sync, I'll need to get an H67. Talk about tough choices. Intel's "conservative" approach with their new chipsets effectively locks you out of everything Sandy Bridge has to offer.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Given Intel's shitty socket policies they can shove this wonderful CPU up their ass.

But if you're already on Intel then it's time to upgrade. I'd wait for the end of the year though.

Canova

Banned
I've heard alot about this Sandy Bridge, not knowing exactly what it is. What gaming laptops are utilizing this new thing?

whitehawk

Banned
Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Low end graphics cards are nearly obsolete since SB offers equivalent performance with just integrated graphics. Also ridiculous battery life for laptops; one of the tests had nearly eight hours of battery on one charge for a 71 Whr battery.
Thanks for the explanation. This will indeed be great for laptops :)

No_Style said:
Some thoughts after perusing AnandTech's review

No native USB 3.0 is disappointing.

Quick Sync seems awesome, but it sucks that you need to actually connect a monitor to the IGP in order to use it.

Gaming performance increase is nice, but at what resolution were those benchmarks run at?

Most impressed by the power consumption. Damn!

A real kicker:
P67 only for full OCing? But if I wanted to use the IGP for Quick Sync, I'll need to get an H67. Talk about tough choices. Intel's "conservative" approach with their new chipsets effectively locks you out of everything Sandy Bridge has to offer.

That's what Z68 will be for, evidently.

big_z

sikkinixx said:
my E8400 is starting to be an man old *tear*

i got one too. i think im going to hold out until the next true generation of nvidia cards come out and then upgrade everything at once. by then these cpu prices will have dropped a bit, a selection of micro atx boards will be out and good after market coolers will be available which is a must to me.

Hylian7

I'm still rocking a Core 2 Duo E7400 overclocked to 3.33 GHz. This might be out of my price range though, perhaps I'll upgrade to an overclocked Core 2 Quad first.

hteng

Banned
canova said:
I've heard alot about this Sandy Bridge, not knowing exactly what it is. What gaming laptops are utilizing this new thing?

the new high end MSI, ASUS, Sager, Alienwares will be utilizing it. BUT, you must make sure it supports switchable graphics card, or else it's really nothing more than just a processor speed upgrade. The speed is not really utilized nowadays, even my QM740 is plentiful for games nowadays.

the real power of these new chips are the IGPs, when not using intensive gaming, it will switch to the IGP to conserve battery. Gaming notebooks nowadays has very shitty battery life and this new tech will help tremendously. you get the best of both worlds.

deathberry

Neo Member
Not as impressive as some of the other reviewers, but this is the best I could manage on air.

CdgWV.png

That's on an MSI P67H2-A motherboard + Intel's XTS 100H CPU cooler on top.

JoeBoy101

deathberry said:
Not as impressive as some of the other reviewers, but this is the best I could manage on air.

That's on an MSI P67H2-A motherboard + Intel's XTS 100H CPU cooler on top.

I was going to post on the Anandtech review that they got 4.4ghz on the stock fucking cooler. Makes those K chips far more sexy to me as I really wouldn't care about pushing it past 4ghz.

SuperN said:
Glad i waited

The perfomance didn't floor me, but I figured I'd wait as it wouldn't cost me anything to upgrade my build once they came out. The OC'ing capabilities though are making me really happy.

Surreal said:
Whats the ETA on these? I'm guessing February?

They're debuting this week. I'd imagine in stores in the next 2-3 weeks.

element

kottila said:
If I understanding this correctly, I should wait until febuary before buying a new laptop?
Depends how much and what company you want your laptop from. i doubt apple or dell will have laptops with sandy bridge by summer. you would probably have to go with asus or hp or Lenovo.

JoeBoy101

Holy muffin-humpin Christ at some of those gaming charts. Getting a sexy bump on the FPS on alot of games. More than I expected.

deathberry

Neo Member
element said:
the cpus have already hit the street in asia. i'd expect newegg to get them in 10 to 14 days.

Don't know about other countries, but the motherboards have been here since early December, and the CPUs are already filtering out to retailers here in Dubai.

Fredescu said:
Can't see why you'd upgrade to these from an overclocked core 2 quad for gaming.

From a Athlon 64 3000+ single core processor to that? Trust me, I will upgrade.

Hopefully I'll be quick enough on NCIX to nab a 2500k + Mobo.

Very impresive TDP and OC capabilities. Don't like the return to previous business model of not allowing low end to OC. Reminds me of the dark Netburst days. Can't really blame them though, AMD is a joke competitor.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Is it really worth upgrading from a 3.4 Q9550? @ 1920x1200 I'm more GPU bound anyway, I think if you already have a quad core a new GPU would be better bang for buck, unless of course you already have a high end GPU that is.

Manager

antonz said:
Yep its time for my Q9450 to go to the backup pile. Has done me well considering when overclocked it out performed the QX9770

Have the same processor, getting a 6950 now and was planning on keeping the processor for another year. Should be fine for gaming no? I'll OC it a bit.

edit
I see this has been covered in later posts. Nice, then I won't have to upgrade.

JADS

UUugghhh

I want to overclock but I also want to use Quickpath. No USB3? Guess I will wait an other year :lol

Core i5-2500K has my name all over it.

Worthy upgrade from my Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor. Unless AMD start talking more about Bulldozer and give numbers this is likely my next CPU.

Top Bottom