• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

Jtrizzy

KHarvey16 said:
I have a feeling that will do anything you want at 60fps at 720p, but others can add more input there. What I can say though is you can downgrade that PSU a bit and either save money or spend the same amount and get a better quality 500W unit.
Id like 1080 60 fps in 2d, but 3dtv's can only accept 60 fps in 720p, and that is what ill be gaming on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
KHarvey16 said:
or spend the same amount and get a better quality 500W unit.

Questionable advice. Corsair PSUs are among the best and not that expensive. The 750-850 watt range is just the standard range that good PSUs for single GPU systems are being made in these days. The Corsair 750 is a good choice for his system.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Drkirby said:
just what do you mean by discrete GPU? A GPU that takes up little space in the case?
No, discrete as in constituting a separate entity. In this case, you can say a discrete GPU is a GPU that is not part of the CPU or the Mobo.

KHarvey16

EviLore said:
Questionable advice. Corsair PSUs are among the best and not that expensive. The 750-850 watt range is just the standard range that good PSUs for single GPU systems are being made in these days. The Corsair 750 is a good choice for his system.

An i7 2600 system at full load with a 5870 draws like 340 watts as measured from the wall. Even before factoring in efficiency he has a lot of headroom with 500. 750 would be better if he was planning to upgrade significantly at some point though.

TheExodu5

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
An i7 2600 system at full load with a 5870 draws like 340 watts as measured from the wall. Even before factoring in efficiency he has a lot of headroom with 500.

You don't save much by going to a 550W Corsair unit. Maybe $20.

750W is the sweet spot, before the big $60 price jump to 850W. Corsair PSUs have really long warranties, which means he can use it in a future build if he wishes. Maybe he'll want an SLI system at some point, who knows.

If he's on a budget and wants to cut costs, then I'd say go to a cheaper, yet still decent quality unit like an OCZ. You could save maybe $40-50 in that case. You're just getting a less efficient, and less reputable unit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Then yeah, go to a P67 board, go down to the 2500K, add a $30 heatsink (Cooler Master Hyper 212+), and upgrade the video card to a GTX 570.

That'll cost you around $150 more, but for a significant improvement in performance.

KHarvey16

Jtrizzy said:
Im flexible on budget, but my goal is 1080p 60 fps in 2d, and 720p 60fps for 3d.

If budget isn't a concern then you can certainly keep the PSU you specced there, especially if like Evil and Exodu5 said the bulk of the market is moving into that range and bringing down cost. In the end if you swapped it out for a cheaper but less efficient unit you might even pay the difference in utility bills, who knows :lol.

Jtrizzy

Thanks for helping guys, im gonna take it over to the proper thread so as not to dilute this one. I am looking to buy this in the next week if possible, so thanks for the timely responses.

Zezboob

darkwing said:
wat?? i cant have both?
Wait for Z68 motherboard chipset.

Well... it's what I am going to do. According to Anandtech it's for Q2 2011 :(

TheExodu5 said:
They really don't go hand in hand. If you want performance, you're going to want a discrete GPU.
First you may need a efficient CPU without needing a powerful GPU. For encoding stuff etc or... emulation like you said.

In other hand you don't always need to use full power of your PC and being able to overclock and/or use a integrated GPU would be very interesting with Lucid's Virtu tech compatible with Sandy Bridge architecture.
Personally when I don't play I want a PC the most silent possible.

TheExodu5 said:
It kind of makes sense. If you were both overclocking and running the GPU, the CPU would probably be producing far too much heat.
Not sure, in this case Intel would not be working on Z68 chipset.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Am I the only one that thinks going the SLI route is being unecessarily wasteful?

Why not get a single powerful GPU and have less stress on the mobo and psu?

In terms of sli benefits to fps on games I haven't seen what kind of performance you get, how many more frames do you get when running and sli setup for the same game on avg vs single card? (I guess I have been ignorant on this)

Articate

Banned
So, my friend's motherboard broke, and he's thinking of upgrading, since he needs a new one anyway.

Is there a point to upgrading from the i7 950 to the best Sandy Bridge processor? Is it worth the new type of motherboard? Is there even a good motherboard for it yet?

tokkun

Articate said:
So, my friend's motherboard broke, and he's thinking of upgrading, since he needs a new one anyway.

Is there a point to upgrading from the i7 950 to the best Sandy Bridge processor? Is it worth the new type of motherboard? Is there even a good motherboard for it yet?

If he can sell his 950, then it's probably worth it. If he can't, then probably not.

kodt

Banned
Brettison said:
Yeah it's the 775 stuff that would benefit. If you already have a 1366 or 1156 your fine for a few years honestly gaming wise.

Except for GTA4, game is crazy CPU dependent.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EviLore said:
KHarvey16 said:
An i7 2600 system at full load with a 5870 draws like 340 watts as measured from the wall. Even before factoring in efficiency he has a lot of headroom with 500. 750 would be better if he was planning to upgrade significantly at some point though.
It's basically either a 500W OCZ for $40 or $50, 520W Seasonic 520W $70, then Corsair 750W for $110 -$20 rebate).

The Seasonic is the best built out of them and the most efficient and is more than enough for any single GPU system. If a user plans to go to go for a dual GPU then you'll need more obviously.

Clott

People that say this is the midline, if there is going to be more CPUs in this entry, how much better are the ones coming in a few months?

tokkun

New rumblings are that the H67 motherboards do in fact allow CPU overclocking, despite previous statements to the contrary.

bee

gonna be ordering my sandy bridge later today or tomorrow depending on when one of them puts them up for sale, still though i've got all the components picked and priced

intel i5 2500k £176
asus p67 pro £142
Corsair XMS3 4GB 1600mhz c9 £36
thermalright Chill Factor 2 paste £3.50
thermalright LGA 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.B £3.50

£361 in total and i've already sold my current parts for £200, so £161 for the upgrade which should last 2 years is pretty good. couple of other things, msi is doing 20% cash back on the gd65 board in the UK so i may go for that at the last minute i think you can get it down to £117 at ocuk and this article http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2009/11/02/intel-lynnfield-memory-performance-analysis/10 was a good read and certainly saved me some money as i was originally gonna buy some 2133mhz ram

I'm also about to order mb and cpu, waiting to see some more prices though, so far only one Swedish store has them for sale.

Intel core i7 2600K 3244 kr

ASRock Extreme4 1329 kr

matmanx1

MicroCenter has now pulled their SB ad. I wonder if they weren't supposed to be showing it yet or if it was something else. Hopefully they haven't changed the special prices as I'm planning on making the trip tomorrow.

Mr_Brit

Banned
theBishop said:
Runs just fine on my Q6600 + 9800GT.
People have different definitions of fine. If that CPU is stock then the game won't run at anything near what most people would consider 'fine'.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Can I ask about o/c'ing on these new chipsets,

Thinking about grabbing a P67 board and a 2500k with some cheap ram but is your o/c potential limited by the speed of the memory on these new chipsets or is it independent now?

Was thinking about grabbing the following,

Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz
Asus P8P67 LE Intel P67
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

For a cheap upgrade, I want an easy 4gig overclock, nothing special.

tokkun

lowrider007 said:
Can I ask about o/c'ing on these new chipsets,

Thinking about grabbing a P67 board and a 2500k with some cheap ram but is your o/c potential limited by the speed of the memory on these new chipsets or is it independent now?

Was thinking about grabbing the following,

Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz
Asus P8P67 LE Intel P67
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

For a cheap upgrade, I want an easy 4gig overclock, nothing special.

It's independent of RAM. Buying higher speed RAM does not give a very good bang for the buck on these processors.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Going by these figures, An OCed 2600K setup would save me about $200/year in energy costs compared to my OCed 920. That's pretty wild, makes it far more attractive than it would be otherwise.

Rur0ni

EviLore said:
Going by these figures, An OCed 2600K setup would save me about $200/year in energy costs compared to my OCed 920. That's pretty wild, makes it far more attractive than it would be otherwise.
That combined with effortless overclocking is a win.

Kalnos

Banned
EviLore said:

I went with the Seasonic X750 (Corsair uses this model for the AX series) and this is by the best PSU I've owned. Full modularity is awesome :D .

I think *most* Corsair units are based on excellent Seasonic units, actually.

EDIT:

This is it:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0. It actually is $25 off right now with the promo code listed on that page... highly recommend it.

JoeBoy101

rc213 said:
Thanks, They need to hurry up and get some H67 boards up so I can buy buy buy!

Same here. Poised at Tiger Direct to fire. They have only a little time before I pull the trigger.

Boooya! For mobos, search LGA 1155.

InertiaXr

Is $190 a decent price for the GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4? I'm going to my local microcenter for the 2500k at $170 tomorrow but don't want to get a shitty mobo tonight when in a relative rush.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I didn't even realize at all how cheap a 2500k + Asus P67 mobo are. $385 total?! With the massive overclocked power consumption difference this is a must-do for me.

Am I reading the benchmarks right? The i7 2600K is like 500 bucks cheaper than the 920, but it's better in almost every way?

Glad I threw away a lot of money.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
phosphor112 said:
Am I reading the benchmarks right? The i7 2600K is like 500 bucks cheaper than the 920, but it's better in almost every way?

Glad I threw away a lot of money.
It depends on when you upgraded. Everybody has been preaching to wait for Sandy Bridge for the past couple months tough. I own a Nehalem i7 and the Sandy Bridge is way too close in performance IMO to justify an upgrade, which tells me I should wait for Sandry Bridge EP at the end of the year. However, that is very close to Haswell, which is supposed to be a massive upgrade in performance.

Part of what holds me back too is the fact that ASUS is not releasing a Rampage Extreme board for this line of processors, which is a clear sign that this is not the enthusiast bracket according to Intel.

Top Bottom