• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

Nekofrog

Banned
Question: I bought an i5 650 for my new media PC a couple weeks ago and use it to play games on my 50 inch 1080p tv (including Dolphin and PCSX2), and have had zero issue at 1080p with all settings on high with anything save for some Dolphin games. I'm clocked at 3.6GHz, but that's on the stock intel cooler. I'm thinking a new cooler could pump me up to 4+GHz.

Or should I just return my mobo (can't return the processor) / sell them and grab myself a sandy bridge? I don't have an issue spending the money, that's not a problem. I just don't know if it's worth the upgrade or not...

Mr_Brit

Banned
Nekofrog said:
Question: I bought an i5 650 for my new media PC a couple weeks ago and use it to play games on my 50 inch 1080p tv (including Dolphin and PCSX2), and have had zero issue at 1080p with all settings on high with anything save for some Dolphin games. I'm clocked at 3.6GHz, but that's on the stock intel cooler. I'm thinking a new cooler could pump me up to 4+GHz.

Or should I just return my mobo (can't return the processor) / sell them and grab myself a sandy bridge? I don't have an issue spending the money, that's not a problem. I just don't know if it's worth the upgrade or not...
A SB at ~4.8GHZ+ will be a lot faster for emulating. You should be able to get 60FPS locked on all your games.

Sanjay

EviLore said:
I didn't even realize at all how cheap a 2500k + Asus P67 mobo are. $385 total?! With the massive overclocked power consumption difference this is a must-do for me.

Resist, 6/8core wait!

Tarin02543

Sanjay said:
Resist, 6/8core wait!

Yes, I'll be waiting for the Ivybridge (22nm SB shrink) which will have more cores and dx11 support on the IGP. It should be coming out at the end of 2011.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EviLore said:
I didn't even realize at all how cheap a 2500k + Asus P67 mobo are. $385 total?! With the massive overclocked power consumption difference this is a must-do for me.
It's pretty nice, though unless you are running load 24/7 I'd think it'd be more like $100 saved a year in power. Still an incredible difference.

In case some people here don't know we have a PC thread. We do.
And it's been updated.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417014

The Get a Lot More Build: $900/$1000 – Intel 2500K, 4GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, AMD 6950, $60-$80 case, Corsair 750W, ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard, DVD Burner. < Click for wishlist
ELnVU.png

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ouch, prices in € - 2500k is 235 €, 2600k is 345 € here

I will wait several months and then buy new pc.

Very tempted to get a new sandy bridge system, but I think I'll wait for the newer SATA3 SSDs that take advantage of the increased bandwidth over SATA2. Maybe by then the ivy bridge parts will be out.

Mr_Brit

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Very tempted to get a new sandy bridge system, but I think I'll wait for the newer SATA3 SSDs that take advantage of the increased bandwidth over SATA2. Maybe by then the ivy bridge parts will be out.
Ivy bridge should be out by January 2012.

Om3ga

Om3ga said:
So I have an i7 960 and an i7 970. I'm planning on selling one of them, and I was just wondering how these 2 compare to these new processors. I only saw the i7 950 being compared. Would it be better to sell them and just get one of these new ones? (I haven't built a system with them yet.)
Anyone have any recommendations?

Why would I want a 5400rpm drive in my system (Looking at the suggested build above)

??

Likewise.. I'm so tempted to build a i5-2500k Sandy Bridge :(

Fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

I have a Microcenter nearby.. and they are offering the processor alone for $180.. ($45 cheaper than Newegg).. and they have a bundle with the Asus P8P67 Mobo with i5-2500k for $300... That is $115 cheaper then Newegg!!!!!

bee

ordered all my stuff, got

MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Intel Core i5 2500K
Thermalright Chill Factor 2
Thermalright LGA 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit

after rebate it comes to £337.71 which is pretty good i think, gonna use my old LGA 775 thermalright ultra 120 black cpu cooler with the converter kit

TurtleSnatcher said:
I have a Microcenter nearby.. and they are offering the processor alone for $180.. ($45 cheaper than Newegg).. and they have a bundle with the Asus P8P67 Mobo with i5-2500k for $300... That is $115 cheaper then Newegg!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr_Brit said:
4GB is enough for 99% of people.

Of course, but when you compare the rest of the specs in these builds, it's pretty apparent they're not in that 99%. I would at least go with a faster HDD/SSD in these builds.

godhandiscen said:
It depends on when you upgraded. Everybody has been preaching to wait for Sandy Bridge for the past couple months tough. I own a Nehalem i7 and the Sandy Bridge is way too close in performance IMO to justify an upgrade, which tells me I should wait for Sandry Bridge EP at the end of the year. However, that is very close to Haswell, which is supposed to be a massive upgrade in performance.

Part of what holds me back too is the fact that ASUS is not releasing a Rampage Extreme board for this line of processors, which is a clear sign that this is not the enthusiast bracket according to Intel.
Yeah, I still threw down for a 920 a few months back. Didn't think Sandy Bridge would be that much of an upgrade for a fraction of the cost...

Valkyr Junkie said:
Some of you guys are only doing 4GB of system RAM? Are your PCs relegated to gaming only?

Nope. My system is fine with 4GB, but I've been considering getting another 2GB...I've just been dragging my feet for a while.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TurtleSnatcher said:
Why would I want a 5400rpm drive in my system (Looking at the suggested build above)
667GB platters. 2TB for $10 more than 1TB. Just tack on a 3rd gen SSD in a few months and never look back.
Valkyr Junkie said:
Some of you guys are only doing 4GB of system RAM? Are your PCs relegated to gaming only?
Even when I do video conversions or light editing I don't usually come close to 4GB (Since I have programs closed).
If someone is making a system and they do do heavy editing / multitasking / and such they should mention it in their post (and the template) in the PC thread.

Mr_Brit said:
They're using an i5 in that benchmark. That CPU is clock for clock a lot faster than an Athlon II, hardly what I'd call a fair comparison.

How does switching from an i5 to a SB chip, change the performance of the Athlon ii?

Mr_Brit

Banned
brain_stew said:
How does switching from an i5 to a SB chip, change the performance of the Athlon ii?
Say what?:lol Did you even read what I was replying to? He said that a 3GHZ Athlon II wouldn't limit a GTX 460 and up and linked to a benchmark containing an i5 which is significantly faster in games and doesn't invalidate my point that a 3GHZ Athlon II is bottlenecking a GTX 460 and up.

Mr_Brit said:
Say what?:lol Did you even read what I was replying to? He said that a 3GHZ Athlon II wouldn't limit a GTX 460 and up and linked to a benchmark containing an i5 which is significantly faster in games and doesn't invalidate my point that a 3GHZ Athlon II is bottlenecking a GTX 460 and up.

The point was that the ii X4 wasn't stopping games from reaching 60fps at high settings with a GTX 460, it wasn't bottlenecking it to any reasonable degree (again, at settings that people actually use like 1080p 4xmsaa/16xaf), so it doesn't matter if the SB chip is faster, the X4 is already "fast enough". A CPU only ever has to be "fast enough", you can't endlessly increase the quality of your game with excess power like you can with a new GPU.

TheExodu5

Banned
^ pretty much.

The only games that really need the power of an overclocked Sandy Bridge are emulators, and poorly optimized single/dual thread games like WoW, Starcraft 2, and Neverwinter Nights 2.

Chris R

Ivy Bridge is the tock right? And it is due out at the end of the year? My Q9550 should hold on that long, just hope my 4870 512mb can :(

Also can't wait for next gen ssds :)

pestul

I love how after 1yr and 3 months, my 4GHz oc'ed i7 920 is still faster than the best desktop processor you can buy (without oc'ing them of course).

TheExodu5

Banned
pestul said:
I love how after 1yr and 3 months, my 4GHz oc'ed i7 920 is still faster than the best desktop processor you can buy (without oc'ing them of course).

The 4 year old Q6600 OC'ed is still faster than the best desktop processor you can buy.

The high end Socket 2011 Sandy Bridge CPUs will be out late this year at the very least. Definitely going to be more expensive. I'd be shocked to see a 6-core for less than $400, and that's just being conservative.

TheExodu5

Banned
cartman414 said:
The high end Socket 2011 Sandy Bridge CPUs will be out late this year at the very least. Definitely going to be more expensive. I'd be shocked to see a 6-core for less than $400, and that's just being conservative.

I'd probably agree with that. No reason for them to be undercharging this time around.

tokkun

cartman414 said:

Depends. If Bulldozer is competitive, those prices will probably come down. The motherboards undoubtedly will be ridiculously expensive though.

Raistlin

I'm a little disappointed at where the placed the MoBo split-point, but whatever. Looking forward to ordering a workstation build in a few weeks.

joesmokey

Do we have an estimated date of when the new mobile processors will be available in HP, Dell, etc. systems? I'm not sure how long they usually wait to incorporate new processors into their builds.

joesmokey said:
Do we have an estimated date of when the new mobile processors will be available in HP, Dell, etc. systems? I'm not sure how long they usually wait to incorporate new processors into their builds.
HP is available now.

Just for fun configured a15" Quad-Core 2630QM and a AMD HD 6550 graphics card for $999.

I pray to god Apple can do that much for a $1700 15" MacBook Pro.

tokkun said:
Depends. If Bulldozer is competitive, those prices will probably come down. The motherboards undoubtedly will be ridiculously expensive though.

AMD has already been way behind in terms of actual performance for the most part, so it's going to take a real breakthrough.

The only way we'll get affordable 6-cores is if they fall within the mainstream/performance tier (the top of the socket 1155 segment). Imagine that, an i5 6-core with no HT.

Mr. Wonderful said:
HP is available now.

Just for fun configured a15" Quad-Core 2630QM and a AMD HD 6550 graphics card for $999.

I pray to god Apple can do that much for a $1700 15" MacBook Pro.

Especially if the Air-style form factor (thin, no optical drive, SSD for storage and speed) rumors are true. That would be killer.

Vyer

So if I'm building a brand new system, but trying not to absolutely kill the wallet, would you folks recommend going i5 2500K + P67? I'm looking gaming and blu ray playback.

(Particularly if I can get that MC combo)

Everdred

Think I'm going to stick with my q6600 for now. I'm so tempted but I can still max out pretty much everything with my GTX470.

Vyer said:
So if I'm building a brand new system, but trying not to absolutely kill the wallet, would you folks recommend going i5 2500K + P67? I'm looking gaming and blu ray playback.

(Particularly if I can get that MC combo)

I'd say so.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So if I'm building a brand new system, but trying not to absolutely kill the wallet

It doesn't matter if you want to kill your wallet or not. 2500K + P67 is top tier performance coupled with budget pricing.

M3d10n said:
I'm waiting for reports about how Dolphin and PCSX2 run on these before diving in.

I can only imagine, fantastic. That sort of thing is going to fly, even at stock, once they move to AVX instructions.

All previous FP instruction changes have brought about very nice gains in Dolphin and this is the most radical step forward Intel have made in the area since MMX was introduced.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EviLore said:
It doesn't matter if you want to kill your wallet or not. 2500K + P67 is top tier performance coupled with budget pricing.
How much did you pay?

There's a Microcenter but it's in Detroit. Far but the right price would sway me.

Top Bottom