• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

lostcauz

Actually, what I want more then free region purchases are more fair prices in my region, where a game of 60 dollars costs at about 80 dollars nowadays.

Share that link and I'll support that. That's the real issue here instead of trying to get the HK store back.

sam777

At the moment i only see one advantage of DD based games and thats not needing to swap disc's, whilst the retail route has far more advantages. MS need to wake up and start pricing their games at around the £25-30 price range....£55 for a UK DD game FUCK OFF MS!!!. Surely no one buys DD games at that price???...and if they do they need there head read!

Microsoft don't decide the prices on third party games, so not their fault but I understand your frustration.

MS games are normally priced at £45 digitally.

This has probably been asked before sorry but I just needed a quick answer to reply to someone.

I have a PAL/NZ Xbox if I got a DLC item code from America would it work with my NZ copy of the game or would I need an American copy?

Cheers.

This has probably been asked before sorry but I just needed a quick answer to reply to someone.

I have a PAL/NZ Xbox if I got a DLC item code from America would it work with my NZ copy of the game or would I need an American copy?

Cheers.

I have Aussie copies of Titanfall and FH2 and the US DLC worked fine with both games.

Lettuce

If you had read the post 2 above yours, you would know that publishers set the price and no MS published title goes above £45.

Well I call BullShit on this as just look at the price difference of say Far Cry 4 across all the different retailers, ranges from as low as £35 up to £45 so saying that publishes set the price is bollocks!......unless Tesco has more control than what MS has on their own system???

Well I call BullShit on this as just look at the price difference of say Far Cry 4 across all the different retailers, ranges from as low as £35 up to £45 so saying that publishes set the price is bollocks!......unless Tesco has more control than what MS has on their own system???

Publishers set out full RRP on the digital store, there would be an outrage by publishers if MS dictated what price to price their competitors games.

If we look at retail, retail is set the same RRP but they buy at a specific cost price, so they can try and make some money. Retailers can pick and chose to take the hit on their profit margin if they wish.

lostcauz

Who's selling it for £35, I need to see this. Link me.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone ordered from PCGameSupply? I just paid and everything then got this through. They rejected my Paypal payment for some reason.

"Your order could not be processed"

Edit: I can no longer even buy on Xbox.com, the sign in page keeps looping when I try to purchase a game.

Faceache

So Dragon Age has been pulled from the Indian store and I no longer have access to the game (should have been released tonight).

No sign of a refund on my MS account either. I really hope I don't have to phone support and risk my account getting "looked at". I bought it via VPN after MS cracked down on the regional stores.

besiktas1

So Dragon Age has been pulled from the Indian store and I no longer have access to the game (should have been released tonight).

No sign of a refund on my MS account either. I really hope I don't have to phone support and risk my account getting "looked at". I bought it via VPN after MS cracked down on the regional stores.
How do I use vpn for example to buy from us store?

danowat

Banned
Anyone ordered from PCGameSupply? I just paid and everything then got this through. They rejected my Paypal payment for some reason.

"Your order could not be processed"

Edit: I can no longer even buy on Xbox.com, the sign in page keeps looping when I try to purchase a game.

Yes, I have used PCGS, but I used a CC

Me too. I've been playing the trial on EA Access and hoping it still might unlock tonight...
It's still on my xbox and still says it has been purchased, but I get the error 0x87de07d1 when trying to open it.

sangreal

Me too. I've been playing the trial on EA Access and hoping it still might unlock tonight...
It's still on my xbox and still says it has been purchased, but I get the error 0x87de07d1 when trying to open it.

Have you tried just downloading it from your local store (it won't unlock any faster though)? It should also be in my games and apps download list even if it's not on the store

Have you tried just downloading it from your local store (it won't unlock any faster though)? It should also be in my games and apps download list even if it's not on the store

Not yet, I'll try tomorrow if it still isn't working. I've got a feeling that since the purchase was tied to the indian marketplace it still won't work though :(

Faceache

Can't even download it, it only gives the option to buy it (again). They've pretty much just removed the licence from my account. Without even bothering to notify people it seems.

Can't even download it, it only gives the option to buy it (again). They've pretty much just removed the licence from my account. Without even bothering to notify people it seems.

It's different for me but I don't know if that's because I have EA Access or not. On my console it says that I have purchased DA:I deluxe edition, but whenever I try and load it I get the error code from my previous post. I've uninstalled it and left it installing while I'm at work now but I'm not confident.

The strange thing is if I go on xbox.com, in the UK store (my store) I have the option to buy it there, it does not recognise that I have previously purchased it in another region. Change to the India store (where I bought it), and understandably it isn't there as they withdrew it. However if I change to the US store, and it says I have purchased it?!? I tried changing my xbox to US region but I still got the region code error when trying to run the game.

Does anyone have a link to online support I can contact later?

Still no joy. I deleted the game and downloaded it again. It gets all the way to 100% when installing it then prompts me to insert the disc! So at least I'm not getting the error code from before, it's asking for a disc instead...

I've just spent 40 minutes online and they couldn't give me a refund as they couldn't see the transaction in their system at the moment. They actually said if I buy the game again, they will process the refund afterwards FFS! I told them that would not happen, so they asked me to contact support again in a few days to see if they can process the refund then. If that down't work then I'll be on to my credit card company.

I WANT TO PLAY SOME DRAGON AGE GODDAMMIT! Ah well, back to Halo it is for now.

Hammer24

Banned

Have this happen once in a while.
Open a second browser window, go to account.live.com and sign in. Then change back to the store and ALT+F5 solves this for me.
Seems to be some kind of cookie problem, where it shows you signed in to the store, but you aren´t.

Faceache

How could you buy it from Indian store ? They blocked vpn also

I tried Hola a few times and it happened to work.

Got a refund anyway. Was expecting a few questions about the nature of my "global" shopping, but didn't get any. Hope you have some luck with your case, Crackity.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Tesco have control of the price they charge in their stores. If they choose to sell at less than the wholesale price, they are free to. How effective a strategy it is for them, I don't know, but I think games are part of a bigger strategy to ensure you buy everything from them, to keep you in their ecosystem. The profit for Tesco is in all the other things you buy, if they make nothing on the game but you do your weekly shop with them when you wouldn't ordinarily or you keep going back because of the saving you make on a game every few weeks then they're still better off than if they charged RRP. Which is of course a RECOMMENDED retail price, not a dictated one.

I tried Hola a few times and it happened to work.

Got a refund anyway. Was expecting a few questions about the nature of my "global" shopping, but didn't get any. Hope you have some luck with your case, Crackity.

Cheers. Has your refund gone into your account yet?

I contacted support again on Monday night and they told me I would be getting a refund but despite me pressing, they couldn't give an estimate when that would be. I've told them that I knew other people had contacted support and got a refund immediately but he was saying they couldn't do it in case there was a duplication and I received the refund twice.

I'm giving them until Friday where I will contact them again and demand a refund or I will pursue the money with my credit card company instead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you switch region to US on the web, or does it have to be on the console? Have a $50 card to redeem but the TV is in use until later

EvB

Can you switch region to US on the web, or does it have to be on the console? Have a $50 card to redeem but the TV is in use until later

Go to your account and change you billing region, this will change the prices that you see.

danowat

Banned
Is the situation with buying things from the US PSN store similar?

I buy alot from the US Xbox store, so would like to do the same with the PS4, if possible.

Caayn

Is the situation with buying things from the US PSN store similar?

I buy alot from the US Xbox store, so would like to do the same with the PS4, if possible.
No. On the PS4 you'll need an account that is tied to that store, on Xbox One you can freely hop around each store with the same account.

I don't know if Sony blocks foreign credit cards like Microsoft does.

danowat

Banned
No. On the PS4 you'll need an account that is tied to that store, on Xbox One you can freely hop around each store with the same account.

I don't know if Sony blocks foreign credit cards like Microsoft does.

So do you use US PSN credit like you do with Xbox gift cards?, is there a list of steps on how to do it anywhere?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So do you use US PSN credit like you do with Xbox gift cards?, is there a list of steps on how to do it anywhere?

Basically the same. I either buy PSN cards from pcgamesupply.com or I buy Amazon gift cards and use those to buy PSN. That is the same as I do for XBL credit.

Main differences between Xbox one and PS4:

- Xbox one: you keep the same account, but you change the region.
Pro: games from US store are still tied to your main XBL gamertag, so if you use a second console and sign in, you can still play those games.
Con: if buying brought the console you have to change region and reset the Xbox each time - and then again when you switch back. Also for me at least, when I do that it loses my DVR settings so I have to redo those. Not a maor hassle, but not perfect.

-PS4: you use a separate US account for purchases
pro: once you have a US PSN account added to your PS4, it is easy to switch to that account and go to the store, and then switch back to your normal account. No resetting etc. you can still play games on your usual account because you'll set the PS4 as primary console for the U.S. account.
Con: you can't play games on a second console using your normal PSN account - you need to be signed in with the purchasing account which is the US one.

Caayn

Also keep in mind that DLC is not region free on Playstation platforms even though games are. DLC bought in a PAL store will only work with a PAL version of the game.
Yo so I got a $60 card off amazon to use on the US store. Can I use some of the credit on my 360?

And if I can can u use the US store on 360?
Nope. The 360 isn't region free.
And why did they block HK store and not US store?
Don't know.

malcher

And why did they block HK store and not US store?

I suspect two reasons: the price difference between UK and US is not that big as between UK and HK (or India). HK and India is were MS is losing real money. Second reason is that many people in Europe have their Live accounts created as US accounts, since Live was not officially available in their countries even for a few years after X360 release. Blocking completely US would piss off a lot of their customers.

danowat

Banned
Basically the same. I either buy PSN cards from pcgamesupply.com or I buy Amazon gift cards and use those to buy PSN. That is the same as I do for XBL credit.

Main differences between Xbox one and PS4:

- Xbox one: you keep the same account, but you change the region.
Pro: games from US store are still tied to your main XBL gamertag, so if you use a second console and sign in, you can still play those games.
Con: if buying brought the console you have to change region and reset the Xbox each time - and then again when you switch back. Also for me at least, when I do that it loses my DVR settings so I have to redo those. Not a maor hassle, but not perfect.

-PS4: you use a separate US account for purchases
pro: once you have a US PSN account added to your PS4, it is easy to switch to that account and go to the store, and then switch back to your normal account. No resetting etc. you can still play games on your usual account because you'll set the PS4 as primary console for the U.S. account.
Con: you can't play games on a second console using your normal PSN account - you need to be signed in with the purchasing account which is the US one.

Thanks for that, I'll only ever play on a single (my) console, so I just need to set up a US PSN account (I assume this is a different gamertag than my UK one?), buy some US credit, download the game/s on my US account, then switch to my main UK one and I can play all the games?

JP

From what's being said here am I right in when I say that Amazon gift cards can be redeemed in different countries? I could buy one on .co,uk and redeem it on my .com account?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks for that, I'll only ever play on a single (my) console, so I just need to set up a US PSN account (I assume this is a different gamertag than my UK one?), buy some US credit, download the game/s on my US account, then switch to my main UK one and I can play all the games?

Yep. It's really straightforward. You'll need a new gamertag thing and put in an oregonaddress so you don't oay ales tax (Although I'm not sure whether that matters for PSN card purchases - I'd expect sales tax to have been paid on the cards already?)

When you set up your US account, set your PS4 as primary too. That's needed so your UK account can play.

danowat

Banned
I've set up a US account, I haven't got my PS4 yet, its coming tomorrow, but I assume its just a case of adding both accounts to my new PS4, and set my PS4 to primary on both accounts.

Sorry for the questions, I am new to the PS4

Lettuce

I've set up a US account, I haven't got my PS4 yet, its coming tomorrow, but I assume its just a case of adding both accounts to my new PS4, and set my PS4 to primary on both accounts.

Sorry for the questions, I am new to the PS4

Errr this thread is for Xbox not Playstation

deadfolk

If I get a US code for a game, e.g. the assassin's creed stuff from the bundle, would I be able to use it on an EU account?

A guy on the B/S/T thread said he didn't think so. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

Top Bottom