• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International GAF: How to buy from US/UK Xbox One Game Store

Sanpei

If I get a US code for a game, e.g. the assassin's creed stuff from the bundle, would I be able to use it on an EU account?

A guy on the B/S/T thread said he didn't think so. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

Games are region free..So it should work

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've set up a US account, I haven't got my PS4 yet, its coming tomorrow, but I assume its just a case of adding both accounts to my new PS4, and set my PS4 to primary on both accounts.

Sorry for the questions, I am new to the PS4

yes

If I get a US code for a game, e.g. the assassin's creed stuff from the bundle, would I be able to use it on an EU account?

A guy on the B/S/T thread said he didn't think so. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

XBL codes for credit work, so I would expect games to work too.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I suspect two reasons: the price difference between UK and US is not that big as between UK and HK (or India). HK and India is were MS is losing real money. Second reason is that many people in Europe have their Live accounts created as US accounts, since Live was not officially available in their countries even for a few years after X360 release. Blocking completely US would piss off a lot of their customers.

The price difference between US and Norway is still huge. We have to pay almost $90 (599 NOK) for each game. That`s crazy.

sam777

Should work as I bought a US Black Flag code and it worked on my UK account.

SilentFlyer

That was my gut feeling, but I'm loathe to try it until I get confirmation that someone has done so.

I can confirm it will work. I bought AC: Unity code (US) from a fellow gaffer and it worked on my local acxount (Saudi Arabia). Before that I also bought Titanfall code (US) off ebay and it also worked.

I suspect two reasons: the price difference between UK and US is not that big as between UK and HK (or India). HK and India is were MS is losing real money. Second reason is that many people in Europe have their Live accounts created as US accounts, since Live was not officially available in their countries even for a few years after X360 release. Blocking completely US would piss off a lot of their customers.

The price difference between US and Norway is still huge. We have to pay almost $90 (599 NOK) for each game. That`s crazy.

Yeah the UK is the outlier, everyone else (Scandinavia, Germany, France etc) has a lot higher prices.

Basically the same. I either buy PSN cards from pcgamesupply.com or I buy Amazon gift cards and use those to buy PSN. That is the same as I do for XBL credit.

Main differences between Xbox one and PS4:

- Xbox one: you keep the same account, but you change the region.
Pro: games from US store are still tied to your main XBL gamertag, so if you use a second console and sign in, you can still play those games.
Con: if buying brought the console you have to change region and reset the Xbox each time - and then again when you switch back. Also for me at least, when I do that it loses my DVR settings so I have to redo those. Not a maor hassle, but not perfect.

-PS4: you use a separate US account for purchases
pro: once you have a US PSN account added to your PS4, it is easy to switch to that account and go to the store, and then switch back to your normal account. No resetting etc. you can still play games on your usual account because you'll set the PS4 as primary console for the U.S. account.
Con: you can't play games on a second console using your normal PSN account - you need to be signed in with the purchasing account which is the US one.
You can use the can use the website and switch regions there to make purchases. Unless the game isn't available on the market your console is set on, it will download normally by itself.

I'm currently doing this because it's much less hassle than switching on the console itself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can use the can use the website and switch regions there to make purchases. Unless the game isn't available on the market your console is set on, it will download normally by itself.

I'm currently doing this because it's much less hassle than switching on the console itself.

Very nice to know. Switching and resetting the console is a bit of a pain.

Where do you switch regions on the web? I find it a bit difficult to shop o the Xbox webstore compared to the PS one.

sangreal

Where do you switch regions on the web? I find it a bit difficult to shop o the Xbox webstore compared to the PS one.

There is a link in the footer where it shows your current country

And yeah the web store is awful

Lettuce

Just bought a $25 card from PC Game Supply, do i actually need to create a false address when i change my region to United States on my Xbox One if using PC Game Supply, or can i just change the region on my Xbox One to US and then redeem the code?

EDIT: Have noticed there is a PayPal option in the Payment & Billing section in settings on the XB1 console, has this always been there??

EDIT2: vpost linked in the OP doesnt seem to have US postal address just Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Australia, how do i get a US postal address with that site?

At the bottom there are some footer links, one of them tells the region you currently are, and by clicking it, it will take you to a page where you can switch.

The Xbox web store is indeed shitty. It's slow, constantly requires to re login and many times I have to reload the page like hell to be able to go through an entire purchase...

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just bought a $25 card from PC Game Supply, do i actually need to create a false address when i change my region to United States on my Xbox One if using PC Game Supply, or can i just change the region on my Xbox One to US and then redeem the code?

EDIT: Have noticed there is a PayPal option in the Payment & Billing section in settings on the XB1 console, has this always been there??

EDIT2: vpost linked in the OP doesnt seem to have US postal address just Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Australia, how do i get a US postal address with that site?

Giftcards from PC Game Supply didn`t any address. The key will be sent to your e-mail address, then just enter the code in Xbox Live US store. No address required there.

Lettuce

Giftcards from PC Game Supply didn`t any address. The key will be sent to your e-mail address, then just enter the code in Xbox Live US store. No address required there.

Ah i had to add a billing info before the XB1 would allow me to go to the step to select my prepaid card as payment, so i added a US address. Strange that it still requires you to add billing info if your just wanting to use a prepaid card

Those are not the countries they provide addresses for. Register an account. Go to my addresses and there are US, UK. Chinese and Japanese addresses for you.

BloodR0se

Third reason, MS are proud supporters of US Service Personnel forced to work overseas. Blocking American purchases from abroad would negate that policy.

Daemul

Yo so I got a $60 card off amazon to use on the US store. Can I use some of the credit on my 360?

And if I can can u use the US store on 360?

If you want to use the US store on your 360 without having to migrate your account, you need to create a US account on the Xbox website and then download it to your 360. You will now have two accounts on your 360, your main account and your US account, and you can just switch over to your US one when you want to buy games and then switch back and play the games on your main account.

There are some games which you won't be able to buy because they're region locked, but they all seem to be obscure titles. The bigger titles all seem to be region free, though there may be some exceptions I'm unaware of, but personally, I've never failed to buy and play anything from the US store on my 360.

My rule of thumb on region locked games on the 360 is this, if the US physical version is region free, the US digital version is too.

B4D1E

It's the difference between getting fucked and getting extremely fucked.

lindsay-lohan-spits-oabav8.gif

demondays

Neo Member
the russian ruble is very bad at the moment.
Is anyone here from Russia?

do you have gift Cards, where can I buy them (online?)

I´d be interested to give it a try

I bought a U.S. gift card from Amazon and redeemed the code but when I go to purchase something it still asks for a billing address even though I already have a vpost address in there and I can't purchase anything.

sangreal

I bought a U.S. gift card from Amazon and redeemed the code but when I go to purchase something it still asks for a billing address even though I already have a vpost address in there and I can't purchase anything.

I live in the US and I couldn't buy anything on the store today either for the same reason (just kept asking me to add billing info). Try the website or smartglass

Must be something on their end. I'll try the website. Thanks

Did you ever solve this? I just had this come up for me with some funds I had left over are seemingly not there now (only $5 but still, it would have bought me Nutjitsu..)

Edit: Nevermind, it worked fine for me when I pressed on the price again

deadfolk

Yeah, DLC is region free.

Is that confirmed?

I got Forza Horizon 2 from Canadian store, so I thought I was screwed for DLC after they shut the cross-region purchasing down - unless I resorted to gift cards, which basically negates the savings.

It would be great if I could still buy the Storm Island DLC on my home region and use it with the Canadian-bought base game.

DagsJT

Is that confirmed?

I got Forza Horizon 2 from Canadian store, so I thought I was screwed for DLC after they shut the cross-region purchasing down - unless I resorted to gift cards, which basically negates the savings.

It would be great if I could still buy the Storm Island DLC on my home region and use it with the Canadian-bought base game.

Yep, DLC is region-free.

Is that confirmed?

Dude, use the US store as outlined in the OP. Gift cards at amazon are 1:1.

B4D1E

It seems PCGamesupply doesn't have US Gift cards anymore. I hope it's just out of stock. If not, anyone has another similar website (except amazon, it doesn't work for me) to suggest?

Edit: Nvm, It's back online.

Top Bottom