• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Gandie

What have they done to the App update screen within the App Store? Barely 3 entries visible at any time on my SE.So much wasted space.

Apt101

I installed it on my 6s. My immediate impression is that the UI for everything is much larger and kind of goofy looking. Going to look into getting things looking less Fisher-Price.

Edit: hmm, Files doesn't show local files?

Pein

Banned
Updated my 6s plus and it doesn’t feel all that slick, still super useable but it’s kinda like android lag now lol.

hydruxo

I installed it on my 6s. My immediate impression is that the UI for everything is much larger and kind of goofy looking. Going to look into getting things looking less Fisher-Price.

Edit: hmm, Files doesn't show local files?

Oh yikes. Yeah I'm gonna hold off updating it on my 6S I think.

Sean

Banned
Also, any changes or improvements to Carplay/iPhone 6 battery problems?

CarPlay has some very nice improvements. Lane guidance, alternate route suggestion during navigation, speed limit signs, slightly redesigned interface. And the new Siri voice is much more pleasant for turn by turn directions.

CarPlay also launches a lot faster on my iPhone 7. It used to take a few seconds, now it activates almost immediately after plugging in the cord.

Trying to make room for my iphone, can someone tell me why I have all these albums in my Iphone, but I cant seem to move them to my PC or even my photo stream at all?

It's really frustrating. Theyve been in these albums Ive never created forever, but I cant move them out. Will ioS 11 fix this?

Really hate the new notification system. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I now have to unlock my phone, swipe down, then relook my phone in order for the "clear all" X to pop up. If I just swipe down initially, there's no way to clear all of my notifications as I used to. It's, again, new ways to make things take longer.

Same goes for me on the iPad. I don't like the new way to do slide over. I liked how easy it was for me to quickly switch between the apps that are invoked with Slide Over. Now, my productivity on the iPad will be worse because I'm going to have to swipe up, move things over, and constantly do that. It's cumbersome. And, it puts more pressure to just dock a second app on the side, which in portrait mode still isn't ideal because Safari in portrait mode still doesn't have a tab or bookmark bar.

Also, my bookmarklets are all screwed up.

The general problem for me with the iPad is all the new reliances on gestures. Gestures now much be more exaggerated, even old ones. It takes more time and effort to do the five finger pinch to open the home screen, and sliding up for multitasking is an elongated swipe up that takes longer to do. It's minor, but everything just takes long and more effort to do across the board.

Lastly, I don't like the new Siri voice; yes, it sounds much more natural, but much younger, and I just don't care for it.

Really hate the new notification system. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I now have to unlock my phone, swipe down, then relook my phone in order for the "clear all" X to pop up. If I just swipe down initially, there's no way to clear all of my notifications as I used to. It's, again, new ways to make things take longer.

Same goes for me on the iPad. I don't like the new way to do slide over. I liked how easy it was for me to quickly switch between the apps that are invoked with Slide Over. Now, my productivity on the iPad will be worse because I'm going to have to swipe up, move things over, and constantly do that. It's cumbersome. And, it puts more pressure to just dock a second app on the side, which in portrait mode still isn't ideal because Safari in portrait mode still doesn't have a tab or bookmark bar.

Also, my bookmarklets are all screwed up.

The general problem for me with the iPad is all the new reliances on gestures. Gestures now much be more exaggerated, even old ones. It takes more time and effort to do the five finger pinch to open the home screen, and sliding up for multitasking is an elongated swipe up that takes longer to do. It's minor, but everything just takes long and more effort to do across the board.

Lastly, I don't like the new Siri voice; yes, it sounds much more natural, but much younger, and I just don't care for it.

Confused. Swiping down on screen shows my notifications and I can Clear All

epmode

The task manager still opens if you swipe up with four fingers. The travel distance is a lot shorter this way.

Confused. Swiping down on screen shows my notifications and I can Clear All

Maybe I'm encountering a bug then. here's a typical use case for me. I wake up and pick up my phone and I look through my notifications. Before, the clear all button was always there and I could clear them all in a tap after quickly reading them. Now, I can only clear all notifications on a single tap when they are listed as "older" and to get the phone to think they are older, I have to unlock the phone, pull down notification, then relook my phone and pull down notification center. Then they are considered "older" and the clear all option appears. I guess I don't know why I am only allowed to clear all my notifications when they are considered older.

Also, on watchOS, I don't understand why they switched the buttons on alarms. Before, right was stop and left was snooze, but now it is reversed for some reason.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Did they really choose to make the control centre music controls into a tiny box that you have to hold on to open? Why can’t I just have it above the rest of the controls? What an annoying change to make, I would have preferred it stayed how it was at least it was always there.

And they’ve changed the lock screen music controls too. Who makes these decisions. The lock screen controls should be what is in the control centre.

Awful.

Been using this since beta 1 and the amount of outstanding bugs is kind of weird. But overall this is a pretty solid update. Also thought iLife and iWork would be updated to match the new icon style but apparently not.

Did they really choose to make the control centre music controls into a tiny box that you have to hold on to open? Why can’t I just have it above the rest of the controls? What an annoying change to make, I would have preferred it stayed how it was at least it was always there.

And they’ve changed the lock screen music controls too. Who makes these decisions. The lock screen controls should be what is in the control centre.

Awful.

This is annoying too. And, again, it now takes more taps and more time (for animations) to do stuff that was simpler and easier before.

Jigolo

Wtf did not expect the dock on my Mini 2. Love the new keyboard. Hate the new notifications but everything else seems good so far (10min). No crashing yet....

Edit made a passcode and took it off to get rid of that notification

RDreamer

Why doesn't control center have some way to quickly change what's connected via bluetooth? Unless I'm missing something.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
And now the control centre doesn’t turn off WiFi and Bluetooth it just disconnects them?

Awful.
This is annoying too. And, again, it now takes more taps and more time (for animations) to do stuff that was simpler and easier before.

To quote myself as well, it seems that you can access full music controls from the notification centre now by dragging down, but that’s still at the opposite end of the screen.

I don’t understand Apple logic at all some times, this urge to change things and make stuff less functional just because.

kendrid

Banned
Wtf did not expect the dock on my Mini 2. Love the new keyboard. Hate the new notifications but everything else seems good so far (10min). No crashing yet....

Edit made a passcode and took it off to get rid of that notification

How is performance on the Mini 2? Does typing lag in Safari?

I didn't think the new ipad stuff was a thing for the ipad pro 9.7? It seems to be there?

Is there a way to default open webpages in reading mode? Would be a great thing.

Sean

Banned
Is there a way to default open webpages in reading mode? Would be a great thing.

Long press on the reader mode icon in Safari's address bar. It will give you the option to always default to reading mode on that particular website, or on all websites. It's very handy.

Top Bottom