• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

kris.

Banned
does it fix the terrible battery drain? i somehow went from 100% to 19% this morning in the span of 3 hours streaming video. before the update to 9.3, that would've put me around 60%. not to mention the overheating.

edit: hey, looks like it's all better now!

Ok my wifi has be slow as fuck since updating to 9.3. Thought maybe 9.3.1 would fix. Nope. Please tell me there's away to fix this? It shouldn't take me 8 mins to download a 64mb app update.

edit: nvm fixed it by forgetting the network and erasing my network settings.

Deku Tree

Took my day 1 6Plus into the Apple Store to ask about Battery life. I had been getting like 5 hours and it would shut off early sometimes. They did a diagnostic and found that I had like 85% capacity. Found that the system software was crashing. Wiped my phone and plugged it into a computer and did a special button press that reinstalled the firmware. Told me to set up the phone as new, and not to reinstall from a backup. Now I'm getting a lot more battery life and so far haven't had any crashes yet. Feels good.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm tempted to do a total start over but I don't know what stuff isn't stored on iCloud and won't be downloaded normally when I do. I mean everything should be on the cloud these days right? Worst case scenario I have to enter a bunch of passwords again and rearrange the apps in my homescreen?

I'm tempted to do a total start over but I don't know what stuff isn't stored on iCloud and won't be downloaded normally when I do. I mean everything should be on the cloud these days right? Worst case scenario I have to enter a bunch of passwords again and rearrange the apps in my homescreen?

The only things that come over from iCloud are what's ticked green in the iCloud settings panel. Also photos if you use iCloud Photo Library and music if you use iTunes Match/Apple Music. Everything else is blank: text messages, apps have to be manually redownloaded, system settings, etc

Deku Tree

You can lose your videos if you don't have those synced. For my phone the genius dude said he did something more than just starting a new phone. He did some special button hold move for a specific number of seconds while connected to a computer that also redid the firmware. Not sure if people would normally use that.

Parfait

I'm likely moving from my ancient, ANCIENT Galaxy Nexus to a 6s+ sometime in the next month, and I'm wondering about the grid icons. I figure that for most apps I could hide them in a folder, but can I put Icons along the right side? It just came to mind that I never really see people with customized home screens in iOS and that kinda bugs me along with the lack of an app drawer. I figure it's not that big a deal, though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The only things that come over from iCloud are what's ticked green in the iCloud settings panel. Also photos if you use iCloud Photo Library and music if you use iTunes Match/Apple Music. Everything else is blank: text messages, apps have to be manually redownloaded, system settings, etc
Text messages are the one thing I would not want to lose. That's a deal breaker. And it's stupid that they don't get synced to iCloud too. They way they work now for syncing is unreliable. If they synced to iCloud it'd be so much better. Optionally of course.

Alternatively give us a way to export and reimport them. Unless there's an app that would let me take the database off one phone and put it on another.

Majine

Banned
I'm likely moving from my ancient, ANCIENT Galaxy Nexus to a 6s+ sometime in the next month, and I'm wondering about the grid icons. I figure that for most apps I could hide them in a folder, but can I put Icons along the right side? It just came to mind that I never really see people with customized home screens in iOS and that kinda bugs me along with the lack of an app drawer. I figure it's not that big a deal, though.

No, the app grid cascades from the upper left corner.

You could put all the crap on the 2nd page, but yeah, it's not really a solution. I understand Apple's reasoning from the viewpoint of a newcomer to this technology, to have everything in one spot makes a lot of sense, but I wouldn't mind an app drawer as an optional feature.

Deku Tree

Text messages are the one thing I would not want to lose. That's a deal breaker. And it's stupid that they don't get synced to iCloud too. They way they work now for syncing is unreliable. If they synced to iCloud it'd be so much better. Optionally of course.

Alternatively give us a way to export and reimport them. Unless there's an app that would let me take the database off one phone and put it on another.

Yeah all my old text messages are gone. I don't care. All the images and videos that I want to keep from messages I save right away.

Blackhead

Redarse

short answer: No

long answer: It's complicated. If you could jailbreak then yes but there's been no publicly available jailbreak for months. Alternatively there was a tool that didn't require a jailbreak but utilized a complicated process involving screenshots and blank safari bookmarks but that doesn't seem to be working right now either.

jts

...hate me...

You can export your messages to a csv file or a neat PDF with some tools, but yeah I get what you mean.

It's also what keeps me on the edge of not doing a clean restore.

Who knows, maybe one day there will be an iOS update that is able to clean the trash in your backups, or lets import/export piecemeal savedata per app, or syncs all your messages and settings to iCloud, so maybe I'll hold out a bit longer.

I mean I have some troubles sometimes with updates and whatnot but other than that the phone runs great and it just gave me a whole weekend of battery life without charging.

Deku Tree

Nvm everything I said above my phone just died when it says the battery is at 24%. Won't stay on unless I leave it plugged it. Ugh

Just curious, but what are you receiving through text messages that are super important that can't be saved anywhere else? To me anyway, text messages are an inherently impermanent medium of communication

They don't get synced to iCloud because of the way iMessage handles encryption. At least currently. But you knows, maybe iOS10 will bring the ability to let you pull out individual items from an iCloud backup, like if you want to start fresh but just restore your photos or just restore your texts

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just curious, but what are you receiving through text messages that are super important that can't be saved anywhere else? To me anyway, text messages are an inherently impermanent medium of communication

They don't get synced to iCloud because of the way iMessage handles encryption. At least currently. But you knows, maybe iOS10 will bring the ability to let you pull out individual items from an iCloud backup, like if you want to start fresh but just restore your photos or just restore your texts
SMS messages still get sent through iCloud for syncing to other devices. I know because I can have my WiFi and BT off and not even be home and have them appear on my computers. And iMessage goes through iCloud anyway. Let me have an option to sync the database as a whole to iCloud at least.

I will not lose my text messages. This is a deal breaker.

Vyer

Yeah, texts have never been a real permanent thing for me either, though I'm pretty diligent about saving info I might actually need. Honestly sometimes it feels good to purge them lol. I get why that wouldn't be the case for everyone though.

Gobbly

Banned
My text messages go back to 2007, when the first iPhone came out. I can't bring myself to erase them - it's history, damnit!

Nvm everything I said above my phone just died when it says the battery is at 24%. Won't stay on unless I leave it plugged it. Ugh
Try this:

- let it die early
- plug in charger
- unplug charger *as soon as apple logo appears*
- let it die early, again
- plug in charger
- let it charge fully

Vyer

Yeah I've done that many many times. Did it like 10 times just yesterday. Maybe I need to do it a few more?

You said they did the reset for you at the Apple Store? I'd charge it to about 30% or so, take it back and let them see. If they've already done the first step seeing the problem is still there they may go further now.

Deku Tree

You said they did the reset for you at the Apple Store? I'd charge it to about 30% or so, take it back and let them see. If they've already done the first step seeing the problem is still there they may go further now.

The Genius told me the only other thing I could do would be to buy a new battery for $80. I'd rather wait for the next phone, and just buy a new phone.

Their line is that the battery % indicator is just an estimate, and that is why it is turned off by default.

Vyer

The Genius told me the only other thing I could do would be to buy a new battery for $80. I'd rather wait for the next phone, and just buy a new phone.

Their line is that the battery % indicator is just an estimate, and that is why it is turned off by default.

Ah, I missed it was a 6 plus. Out of the 1 year I take it

hirokazu

That's usually a good indicator that the battery is effed and nearing replacement status, so it's strange that the Genius tests came back OK.

When they had the iPhone 5 battery recall, the iPhone I took back was like this already and the tests came back as below 80% original capacity. Usually it shouldn't get to that state until at least two years of use.

That said, I don't know how many charge cycles you've put into your iPhone. It may be normal if you are a heavy user and play games a lot on it.

Deku Tree

That's usually a good indicator that the battery is effed and nearing replacement status, so it's strange that the Genius tests came back OK.

When they had the iPhone 5 battery recall, the iPhone I took back was like this already and the tests came back as below 80% original capacity. Usually it shouldn't get to that state until at least two years of use.

That said, I don't know how many charge cycles you've put into your iPhone. It may be normal if you are a heavy user and play games a lot on it.

Don't play games on my iPhone. I used to charge it every two days. Now every day. Test at Apple Store gave me around 85% capacity.

Don't play games on my iPhone. I used to charge it every two days. Now every day. Test at Apple Store gave me around 85% capacity.

80% capacity and below is when they replace them. However if you've already done a full restore and set up as new and they do the battery test and it shows it consistently shutting off at 20%+ (and there is a test that can show that, your exact percentage over time over the past seven days) they may make an exception

mrkgoo

Does this happen for anyone else?

All of a sudden, my iPhone asks to transfer purchases whenever I backup.

Firstly, I understand that it doesn't work that way on ios9 anymore due to app-thinning, but then why is it asking? And further, I click transfer, nothing transfers and it asks again next time I back up.

Did I download a rogue app? Or do o have a corrupted library or something?

I know other iOS 9 devices merely ignore purchases now. Like I backup my folks iPhones, and I've deleted all apps in their iTunes and it never asks to transfer.

Might be able to hide first party apps in future versions of iOS:

As noted by AppAdvice, the internal App Store JSON data source has added a couple of new interesting keys in the last few weeks, which suggests that Apple is in fact adding the ability to hide stock apps soon …

The additions to the internal API include keys for ‘isFirstParty’ and ‘isFirstPartyHideableApp’. In our testing, we could verify the existence of the boolean fields, but could only ever find them with a false value. This makes sense given that the App Store to date only hosts third-party apps offered as optional downloads.

In a future OS release (iOS 10?), this discovery suggests that at least some stock Apple apps will be hideable in some way. Perhaps core features like the Phone or Messages app will remain mandatory, but presumably apps like Compass or Calculator would be user removable.

http://9to5mac.com/2016/04/06/hiding-stock-iphone-ipad-apps/

EmiPrime

Tim Cook all but confirmed it a while ago. The built-in apps are so small that there's not much difference between hiding them and deleting them so this is a good solution if the latter risks breaking things.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Tim Cook all but confirmed it a while ago. The built-in apps are so small that there's not much difference between hiding them and deleting them so this is a good solution if the latter risks breaking things.
Definitely. While a lot of people like to blame the stock apps not being removable as the reason they are out of space (Stock apps and software aren't even counted towards the available space anyway) so hopefully being able to just hide them from view will make people happy. I know it'll make me slightly happier having those apps out of sight rather than just thrown on the last page of my Utilities folder.

I will never have an Apple Watch. I don't need Health stuff. Stocks, Wallet, Find Friends, Tips, Videos (Which would be more useful to me if it just showed videos I took, but it's for stuff I bought, which is nothing.) All that will be hidden as soon as I can. But just make it so Spotlight still finds it and it'll be perfect. That way you can still use it in a pinch if you need to but not have to make it visible just to do so.

Next step is convincing them to put larger folders on the larger iPhones. Fuck, I just want the 4 column option for small phones back where it expands only to the size it needs. Let me have a 4x4 or 4x5 on my 4" screen, and later 4x6 on a Plus. Then I won't need so many pages. I know they did it so that all the icons on the thumbnail are the same as the page you see when you open it, but imagine if this was used for OS X folders in LaunchPad. Ha. Right, Jony. Just give us one more column and at least one more row on the iPhone.

EmiPrime

Definitely. While a lot of people like to blame the stock apps not being removable as the reason they are out of space (Stock apps and software aren't even counted towards the available space anyway) so hopefully being able to just hide them from view will make people happy. I know it'll make me slightly happier having those apps out of sight rather than just thrown on the last page of my Utilities folder.

I will never have an Apple Watch. I don't need Health stuff. Stocks, Wallet, Find Friends, Tips, Videos (Which would be more useful to me if it just showed videos I took, but it's for stuff I bought, which is nothing.) All that will be hidden as soon as I can. But just make it so Spotlight still finds it and it'll be perfect. That way you can still use it in a pinch if you need to but not have to make it visible just to do so.

Next step is convincing them to put larger folders on the larger iPhones. Fuck, I just want the 4 column option for small phones back where it expands only to the size it needs. Let me have a 4x4 or 4x5 on my 4" screen, and later 4x6 on a Plus. Then I won't need so many pages. I know they did it so that all the icons on the thumbnail are the same as the page you see when you open it, but imagine if this was used for OS X folders in LaunchPad. Ha. Right, Jony. Just give us one more column and at least one more row on the iPhone.

Apple claim the stock apps take up less than 150MB so yeah, if someone is running out of space it won't be because of them. There are plenty of Google apps even on stock Android that can't be deleted either but there aren't many complaints because they can stay hidden in the app drawer instead of on the home screen.

Larger folders would be nice but no default app selection is still my biggest annoyance!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Larger folders would be nice but no default app selection is still my biggest annoyance!
One of these days Apple will figure out an "Apple way" to do it and it'll come to iOS. But yeah, default apps would be nice.

But I'll prefer more icons in folder views. I can't really think of any apps I'd want to replace the stock version with. Even Safari. If I were a Chrome user I'd want to replace Safari but there's not really anything I can think of that I want a default change. Just give me more icons in folder views. 4x5 would be nice. i.e. give me the same icon grid in a folder as I get on the Home Screen sans the Dock. That'll leave plenty of room for the folder name. I miss the pre-7 folders where they resize to the correct amount of rows and simply split the Home screen and animate to display them. Give me something like that again.

EmiPrime

One of these days Apple will figure out an "Apple way" to do it and it'll come to iOS. But yeah, default apps would be nice.

But I'll prefer more icons in folder views. I can't really think of any apps I'd want to replace the stock version with. Even Safari. If I were a Chrome user I'd want to replace Safari but there's not really anything I can think of that I want a default change. Just give me more icons in folder views. 4x5 would be nice. i.e. give me the same icon grid in a folder as I get on the Home Screen sans the Dock. That'll leave plenty of room for the folder name. I miss the pre-7 folders where they resize to the correct amount of rows and simply split the Home screen and animate to display them. Give me something like that again.

I would keep Safari, the mobile internet is insufferable without a content blocker. It's the email client and maps app that bother me the most.

Luckily third party apps can play nice with other third party apps (Fantastical can use Google Maps instead of Apple maps) but it's not 100% ideal.

hirokazu

Does this happen for anyone else?

All of a sudden, my iPhone asks to transfer purchases whenever I backup.

Firstly, I understand that it doesn't work that way on ios9 anymore due to app-thinning, but then why is it asking? And further, I click transfer, nothing transfers and it asks again next time I back up.

Did I download a rogue app? Or do o have a corrupted library or something?

I know other iOS 9 devices merely ignore purchases now. Like I backup my folks iPhones, and I've deleted all apps in their iTunes and it never asks to transfer.
I think transfer purchases makes iTunes download those things from the App Store now, rather than uploading the app from the iOS device.

Anyone have experience using iCloud Drive as a file browser for stuff like work and school? I'm running some tests with it now, and it seems hard to have an app open a file in iCloud Drive to edit it and not save its own copy somewhere else.

mrkgoo

I think transfer purchases makes iTunes download those things from the App Store now, rather than uploading the app from the iOS device.

It doesn't do jack and keeps asking. I wonder if it's a bug where I updated some app on my phone and it isn't updated properly on my Mac so keeps asking? I dunno.

Thanks for replying though.

Top Bottom