• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

So are you also having trouble selecting and copying text from Wikipedia in Safari?
Selecting a single word might work out, but adjusting the selection results the complete upper part of the article being selected. Even if I somehow end up selecting the right thing though, pressing copy doesn't actually copy it.

It's weird. Has been happening for months now, only on Wikipedia as far as I have experienced it.
Finally figured out a workaround for this: force quit Safari.

Not sure what causes it but another effect of this messed up state is that when you open a new page in the background, it animates to the top left corner of the screen rather than the bottom right.

Ambitious

Remember "Minecraft: Pocket Edition 2", that shitty scam game pretending to be an official Minecraft sequel, which managed to hit the US App Store's Top 5 Paid? (Eurogamer Report)
App Review ultimately pulled it after the media started to report on it.

It's back.

mc2lzuo9.png

Good old App Review.

Red

Anyone know what the cause of silent alarms could be? Been late to work two days in a row now. Other sounds work fine.

Number45

Do not disturb doesn't silence the alarm. I have my alarm set for 05:20 with my DnD scheduled to disable at 07:00 and it's fine.

Red

I have do not disturb on, but that's nothing new. I'm on 9.3.1. The alarms go off without vibrating or making a sound. If I check the phone after the alarm is set I still have the options to accept or snooze... But the phone doesn't notify me this is happening.

Fwiw, the problem resolved after I force quit all apps and restarted the phone. I still don't know the cause and I hope it doesn't happen again. If I'm late again for work I'll really be pushing my luck.
Maybe I'll invest in an alarm clock.

jts

...hate me...
It would be great if in iOS 10 they would let you AirPlay video in background while doing something else on the device.

Video and any other usecase apps they can think of.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It would be great if in iOS 10 they would let you AirPlay video in background while doing something else on the device.

Video and any other usecase apps they can think of.
You can do this already, you have to deactivate the screen synchronisation

kuppy

Is there a way to switch between (keyboard) languages on an app basis instead of it being changed systemwide?

Finally figured out a workaround for this: force quit Safari.

Not sure what causes it but another effect of this messed up state is that when you open a new page in the background, it animates to the top left corner of the screen rather than the bottom right.
Oh. Cool, thanks.

It depends on the app too. Some apps stop the video stream if you close the app, some don't, regardless of whether you have AirPlay being Mirrored or not.

mrkgoo

Has anyone else been getting some slight weirdness with the AppStore?

Like I'll get a bunch of updates and tap to update but the update sign briefly spins then reverts to an update button. Have to give it a few tries like the server isn't responding.

Or after updating instead of showing "open" it has the cloud icon. Killing AppStore app usually fixes this one though.

Ambitious

Has anyone else been getting some slight weirdness with the AppStore?

Like I'll get a bunch of updates and tap to update but the update sign briefly spins then reverts to an update button. Have to give it a few tries like the server isn't responding.

Or after updating instead of showing "open" it has the cloud icon. Killing AppStore app usually fixes this one though.

I think I had the bolded issue a few times.

A different problem I have all the time is that the App Store app seems to be confused whether an app is up-to-date or not: It displays the badge, but the button says "Open" instead of "Update". But the affected app is still the old version.
If I kill the App Store app, restart it and tap the Updates tab, for a very brief moment the buttons say "Update" before changing to "Open" again. If I manage to tap the button while it still says "Update", the app is actually updated and the issue is resolved.

mrkgoo

I think I had the bolded issue a few times.

A different problem I have all the time is that the App Store app seems to be confused whether an app is up-to-date or not: It displays the badge, but the button says "Open" instead of "Update". But the affected app is still the old version.
If I kill the App Store app, restart it and tap the Updates tab, for a very brief moment the buttons say "Update" before changing to "Open" again. If I manage to tap the button while it still says "Update", the app is actually updated and the issue is resolved.

Interesting. I had an issue a while back where updating the app via iTunes would update it but it would stay in non-updated section with "update". Only way to get rid of it was to update it on the device itself or something like that. I eventually gave up syncing via iTunes and just dos on the device exclusively.

Sounds like the update system needs some work in general.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
always looking hard for for pinboard bulletin service friendos

Is anyone else getting messages that you have 60 minutes to change your passcode? I got it a few days ago and changed it, but now I got it again right when I was just starting to remember my new one. Is this a bug or what?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Good idea or bad idea to use iCloud restore from a 3GS (iOS6) to a SE?
I don't see why not. It's not going to restore the OS. Personally the only reason, as I've said many times, I even restore from backups is because iOS doesn't store my text messages on iCloud so if I restored I'd lose them all. And that's not an option I don't care who you are. Properly designed apps should and do store their data on the cloud so it should just sync when you set up a new phone with your account. But fuck, text messages. In this day and age where all my iOS and OS X devices can receive all my text messages, including SMS ones, on every device my phone gets, I don't understand why it doesn't backup and restore text messages. I'm going to keep restoring from the cloud forever until they implement this. (I'd settle for a working iPhone exploring program that could manually take the Messages database from my old phone and put it on my new one. Seeing as I only want to do it occasionally. I think later iOS versions break this ability or the apps that can still do it all cost too much and are too shifty to trust.)

EmiPrime

I don't see why not. It's not going to restore the OS. Personally the only reason, as I've said many times, I even restore from backups is because iOS doesn't store my text messages on iCloud so if I restored I'd lose them all. And that's not an option I don't care who you are. Properly designed apps should and do store their data on the cloud so it should just sync when you set up a new phone with your account. But fuck, text messages. In this day and age where all my iOS and OS X devices can receive all my text messages, including SMS ones, on every device my phone gets, I don't understand why it doesn't backup and restore text messages. I'm going to keep restoring from the cloud forever until they implement this. (I'd settle for a working iPhone exploring program that could manually take the Messages database from my old phone and put it on my new one. Seeing as I only want to do it occasionally. I think later iOS versions break this ability or the apps that can still do it all cost too much and are too shifty to trust.)

Cheers Abed, I'm not arsed about my text messages personally but I am doing this for my mum so better to transfer all that stuff if there's no real downside. I think iExplorer can dump everything to PDF but I don't think there's a way to restore to another device.

Shame it's a brick until the nano sim arrives in the post which is a bit shit. At the very least it should act as a very expensive iPod Touch.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Cheers Abed, I'm not arsed about my text messages personally but I am doing this for my mum so better to transfer all that stuff if there's no real downside. I think iExplorer can dump everything to PDF but I don't think there's a way to restore to another device.

Shame it's a brick until the nano sim arrives in the post which is a bit shit. At the very least it should act as a very expensive iPod Touch.
Googling brings me to PhoneView which actually for once LOOKS like a Mac app (Explorer looks like a Windows app) but it costs $30 for something I'm not even 100% sure will do what I want to do. I just want to get my messages database in its entirety from my iPhone to my computer, so I can erase my phone completely, and then set it up as a brand new phone but then copy the database back onto the phone without problems. Everything else will pretty much be automatically pulled from iCloud just from logging in without a restore required. But messages are per device and "synced" in an archaic old-style manner where SMS is downloaded to the phone first, then sent through iCloud to every device separately and iMessages are pulled down like Instant Messaging, but aren't stored on iCloud at all. So once all devices receive the message I'm sure they just disappear so you can't just set up a new machine and have it retrieve them all. It's really stupid that messages don't sync like everything else where if I delete one on one device they disappear everywhere. It becomes a mess. I fear iOS 10 and OS X 10.12 won't fix this either. I still can't get my messages to sync to my iMac or iPad either. The approval code never shows up.

EmiPrime

I'm trialling the various iOS device access apps for my own use currently. PhoneView can't mount the file system to Finder which is a bit of a deal breaker. The UI is straight out of Snow Leopard too which isn't a bad thing (I love that OS) but it does clash a bit on modern Macs.

Bit ironic that the two smartphone ecosystems still haven't perfected text messaging yet.

Vyer

if you don't care about text messages I would start fresh.

sometimes bugs and other issues can carry over with a backup (especially from a very old version of iOS).

Googling brings me to PhoneView which actually for once LOOKS like a Mac app (Explorer looks like a Windows app) but it costs $30 for something I'm not even 100% sure will do what I want to do. I just want to get my messages database in its entirety from my iPhone to my computer, so I can erase my phone completely, and then set it up as a brand new phone but then copy the database back onto the phone without problems.
PhoneView can get your messages off the phone, for backup purposes, but can't put them on again. Great app though.

FerranMG

I'm trying to open a file with a specific app.
All the tutorials I've seen mention something like this:

Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone using its USB cable.
Select your iPhone from the "Devices" list and open the "Apps" tab.
Select your new video player app from the "Apps" list in the "File Sharing" section near the bottom of the tab.
Drag and drop your video files into the "Documents" box to the right of the "Apps" list. The videos are transferred to the app immediately via USB cable.

The problem is that I've never synched my iPhone with my computer, and when I plug it in it says I can either set it up as a new iPhone, or restore it with a very old backup.
What can I do to solve this? Obviously I don't want to erase my phone.

Miyahon

I'm trying to open a file with a specific app.
All the tutorials I've seen mention something like this:

Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone using its USB cable.
Select your iPhone from the "Devices" list and open the "Apps" tab.
Select your new video player app from the "Apps" list in the "File Sharing" section near the bottom of the tab.
Drag and drop your video files into the "Documents" box to the right of the "Apps" list. The videos are transferred to the app immediately via USB cable.

The problem is that I've never synched my iPhone with my computer, and when I plug it in it says I can either set it up as a new iPhone, or restore it with a very old backup.
What can I do to solve this? Obviously I don't want to erase my phone.

This is normal when you first connect your iPhone to your computer. Select setup as new since you're not restoring from a backup.

mrkgoo

Ok for the longest time, there has been a bug with portrait video playback from videos recorded under iOS ... Maybe it's ios6.

But after about iOS 8 or something I noticed that any portrait video recorders a while ago, playing back it tries to play t back in landscape, and just crops the top and bottom like probably 70% of the video. I believe it's just playback.

I keep wondering if they will ever fix this, but it's probably a no by now. It means all my videos I took off my kid back then are sort of in viewable on my phone :(

I assume it's some way they flag orientation in videos.

Ok for the longest time, there has been a bug with portrait video playback from videos recorded under iOS ... Maybe it's ios6.

But after about iOS 8 or something I noticed that any portrait video recorders a while ago, playing back it tries to play t back in landscape, and just crops the top and bottom like probably 70% of the video. I believe it's just playback.

I keep wondering if they will ever fix this, but it's probably a no by now. It means all my videos I took off my kid back then are sort of in viewable on my phone :(

I assume it's some way they flag orientation in videos.
Ate you sure you've not just pressed the button at the top of the video player that zooms the video in? It's icon is a double ended arrow.

mrkgoo

Ate you sure you've not just pressed the button at the top of the video player that zooms the video in? It's icon is a double ended arrow.
The fact that it happens to other people too (threads on Apple discussion board) would suggest no.

Also it plays on land scape but when held in portrait so the top and bottom around 40% are black.

Also before even playing it, the thumbnail is cropped.

It's cropped in playback.

It actually feels like the ios9 player doesn't recognise it as a portrait video so plays it back in landscape, cropping it, hence why I think it's an orientation flag thing. Maybe they changed how they record or flag portrait videos.

(No jokes about Apple doing t deliberately to prevent portrait videos lol)

Top Bottom