• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Ambitious

img_0080uyjyr.jpg

Look at that beautiful whiteness. Ive would love this.
Happened each time I switched back to the Music app after using other apps for a few minutes. The content appeared after approximately one minute. Switching tabs or reopening the app didn't help.

mrkgoo

Does anyone else experience skipping music when playing music from a playlist?

I start a playlist and have it on random. It plays the first song fine but then about 10 seconds into the second song it skips ahead to the end of the song or maybe the next song, but hers he locker the timer still says 10 seconds on the second song.

I though it was a rogue song and removed it from my play list but it kept happening. And I've found it does it on another play list too. Seems like a bug.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences it.

Number45

Are you streaming or playing from the phone itself? I find the behaviour can be unusual when streaming and you're in a poor signal area, before it adjusts itself to a track stored locally.

Does anyone else experience skipping music when playing music from a playlist?

I start a playlist and have it on random. It plays the first song fine but then about 10 seconds into the second song it skips ahead to the end of the song or maybe the next song, but hers he locker the timer still says 10 seconds on the second song.

I though it was a rogue song and removed it from my play list but it kept happening. And I've found it does it on another play list too. Seems like a bug.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences it.

I get it on playlists and albums. Sometimes a song will get "stuck" and it will skip to the next song. Very annoying.

mrkgoo

I get it on playlists and albums. Sometimes a song will get "stuck" and it will skip to the next song. Very annoying.

Hmmm. Sounds like some general bug in the player then. Stink.

Thanks for posting though! Always helpful to know if there's someone else experiencing issues before going to more extreme troubleshooting methods.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I need help with something.

There is a website I use for work that essentially only asks for a password without a username. On safari on OS X, the password is saved no problem, but I cannot get it to save on iOS. It seems to need a username to go with it. Does anyone know of any workarounds?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh, I wasn't even aware that it's an iOS 10 "feature". I wouldn't know, as I don't use the App Store.

Ads in search results is bad. It looks from the screenshot ratio/UI size he used an iPhone 5/5S to screen cap it so it probably won't be as bad on the larger screens but still, no ads there please IMO, related search results should be enough to surface apps heh.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ads in search results is bad. It looks from the screenshot ratio/UI size he used an iPhone 5/5S to screen cap it so it probably won't be as bad on the larger screens but still, no ads there please IMO, related search results should be enough to surface apps heh.
Ads are fine. It's having such a huge canvas that's the problem. Get rid of the giant screenshots. Ads don't need to be the same size as normal search results. Their different color is enough.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's a good thing I never use the iOS App Store and usually search for apps through iTunes. Or a Google search which takes me right to the app page.

Hi Gaf, So I am going to the US on the Long weekend where I wont have any access to my Cellular Data.

Can anyone here recommend me a Free or an affordable GPS app that doesn't rely on Cellular data to work? As in it only uses your phone's GPS module?

Can I use Google Maps or even the Apple Native Maps app as offline maps as a reliable GPS?

Basically I need a GPS to navigate me in my road trip, but I cannot have my (cellular) Data turned on.

Any help is much appreciated,

Cheers!

Hi Gaf, So I am going to the US on the Long weekend where I wont have any access to my Cellular Data.

Can anyone here recommend me a Free or an affordable GPS app that doesn't rely on Cellular data to work? As in it only uses your phone's GPS module?

Can I use Google Maps or even the Apple Native Maps app as offline maps as a reliable GPS?

Basically I need a GPS to navigate me in my road trip, but I cannot have my (cellular) Data turned on.

Cheers!

Maps.me has you covered. :) Just remember to download the maps of the areas you are going while you have wifi before going dark.

Is anyone having an issue with their iPhone 6 s screen "jumping"? Like when I scroll though gaf and stop, if I keep my finger on the screen the image on the screen jerks up and down a bit. I never had this happen till the iOS 9.2.3 update. It's fucking up my everyday activities. I can't even close notifications sometimes because of it. Any suggestions?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Cheers!

I like HERE maps. Also make sure to download the region before going there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any way to get whatsapp on iPad? My son has it on his android phone but when he is at home he usually has his iPad with him, but his phone is in another room.

I can understand wanting to require a mobile phone, but they allow you to use a PC web browser if you already have a phone based account - so why not on a tablet?

jts

...hate me...
Is there any way to get whatsapp on iPad? My son has it on his android phone but when he is at home he usually has his iPad with him, but his phone is in another room.

I can understand wanting to require a mobile phone, but they allow you to use a PC web browser if you already have a phone based account - so why not on a tablet?
Have you tried requesting desktop version in Safari or simply messing with other web browsers and user agents?

jts

...hate me...
Yeah you can get the web page up via desktop site, but then you don't get notifications.
Yeah, iOS doesn’t support browser notifications yet. Nothing can be done about it for now.

I also wish Whatsapp would just go multiplatform/multidevice somehow. I’m aware that there’s limitations (and advantages) regarding the way it works right now but I'm sure that with enough money thrown at it, it could get done.

Lexxism

Is tweetbot the best twitter app than the twitter app itself? What makes it different with the original and other 3rd party app?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is tweetbot the best twitter app than the twitter app itself? What makes it different with the original and other 3rd party app?
The original Twitterapp is a joke compared to Tweetbot.
But I dont know the differences to the other Thirdparty Apps, they have basicly the same features.

I think Tweetbot is in a sale today, I would buy it.

Ambitious

Yeah, so the Mail app is still kinda broken for me. I don't have one single particular issue, it's more like.. It hardly ever works as intended.

- Sometimes, background refresh doesn't work. Doesn't matter whether the phone's plugged in or not. It just doesn't work. For days. Until it magically starts working again.
- Sometimes, manually refreshing the app doesn't work either. After refreshing, it says "Last Updated: Now", but the new emails don't arrive.
- Sometimes, the email notification sound is played, but neither does corresponding notification appear nor can I see the emails in Mail.app. The new emails will ultimately show up at some point.
- Sometimes, I receive two consecutive notifications for the same email. Though there's only one in Notification Center.

Ambitious

Considering how crucial the App Store is for Apple's business, one would assume that after eight fucking years, they would have gotten their shit together. But it's Apple, so of course they haven't.

I updated a bunch of apps in iTunes and synced them to my phone later. That's what happened to Wikipanion:
img_4223xfsnz.jpg

When trying to launch it, a black screen appeared for a second before it crashed back to the Springboard. After rebooting the phone, Wikipanion was gone.

I bought two apps in iTunes. Shortly after, my iPad started to download them. Well, kind of.
img_0100yarqq.jpg

"Waiting". Alright then. What the hell are you waiting for? I had to reboot my iPad and manually initiate the downloads.

It just works!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there a way to export an entire conversation from iMessage? I want to read the entire thing but loading it is tortuous.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
PhoneView by ecamm, or equivalent
Has anyone here used it? To export message threads at least? How future-proof is it? I am weary of buying a third party app designed to do something that could very easily be broken in the near future. It works with iOS 9 now, but will it work with iOS 10 when that comes out? At the very least, does the local Backup format change that often in that the software could still extract stuff from the backup even if it can't access the phone itself?

$30 is steep for something you can't be 100% sure of.

Plus there seem to be numerous apps to do this. How do you know which ones will be updated frequently, and which are going to die off soon?

It lost a few features with iOS 8 but it's still great. It's been around for years and years and gets multiple updates per year.

It can export messages as a multi page pdf.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It lost a few features with iOS 8 but it's still great. It's been around for years and years and gets multiple updates per year.

It can export messages as a multi page pdf.
Does anyone have a sample of this? These apps always limit it to something super small in their free demos. I have threads that go back a year with multiple texts every single day that would take hours to scroll through.

Can it only export PDF? How does it deal with images in threads? Can it export HTML instead?

Convince me to spend $30 to clean out my Messages database before I update to iOS 10.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does anyone have a sample of this? These apps always limit it to something super small in their free demos. I have threads that go back a year with multiple texts every single day that would take hours to scroll through.

Can it only export PDF? How does it deal with images in threads? Can it export HTML instead?

Convince me to spend $30 to clean out my Messages database before I update to iOS 10.

http://downloads.ecamm.com/PhoneView.pdf

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How well does it deal with really long threads? This is my main concern. I have threads that go back for a long time. I tested a different app and it was so slow because there were so many messages in the thread.

PhoneView seems to be modern. Most likely I'll only be using it this once for my SMS exporting.

Also, it doesn't mention whether it can export the message as HTML or not. It just mentions PDF. I want HTML because I could later modify it to add to the file if I need to. PDF would be a lot harder to merge two exported threads together.

Why can't Apple just implement iCloud synced Messages? Would be so much easier.

Meh3D

Thus just happened to be. Anyone have thus happen to them before? I knew of Apple deleting music not from iTunes however this deleted both my iTunes bought music and my physical albums.

Marsmsj said:
I was having the most wonderful time on the way to work. Beautiful day and shuffle was dead on. Then the music died. I thought my iPhone crashed. I checked and then noticed all my music was gone. This happened between 8:10 AM - 8:20 AM today. My iPhone deleted all my music. It was a lot of Music. (128GB 6s)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIC2_Aqg99H/

Futureman

I just sold my Verizon 5S on eBay.

I already signed out of iCloud and did the Erase All Content and Settings.

should I remove the SIM card before I send it, or does that not matter?

Top Bottom