• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official iPhone/iPod Touch Thread: Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kworn

Banned
Guys my Ipod touch 2nd gen is dead

Long live the Ipod touch (4th lol) gen

Where is the best place to buy one of these mothers and why dont they do a 16GB model but they do and 8GB model

protonion

Every time I open the SMS app I get the no connection to the internet error. Is this normal? I rarely use it but I think it didn't do it before. I press ok and it works fine but it's very annoying.
3GS, current version, non broken.

big_z

for those with the new ipod touch do you suffer from either of these problems?

-light leakage around the edge like in the picture below?

DSCN3028.jpg

-alien motion tracker sound with wifi on while recording a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b2zcxmPNm4

mine leaks 3/4" worth of light near the volume buttons and has the video ticking. im a few days past the 30 day limit to return it to best buy. are these problems normal or should i go to the apple store and chance my luck at getting a unit better/worse than the one i have?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
big_z said:

mine leaks light near the volume buttons and has the video ticking. im a few days past the 30 day limit to return it to best buy. are these problems normal or should i go to the apple store and chance my luck at getting a unit better/worse than the one i have?

I have a light leak "dot" near the Home Button. Looks like a white pixel is trying to escape. Not a big deal.

big_z

McBacon said:
I have a light leak "dot" near the Home Button. Looks like a white pixel is trying to escape. Not a big deal.

mines leaks a bit more... about the span of two icons. if you record video do you get the clicking sound?

paparazzo

What's a good fm transmitter for a 3GS? I bought this but it doesn't work properly as the head thingy is too small. Thinking of buying this even though it doesn't say it's compatible with the iPhone, but reviews indicate that it does. Anyone have any recommendations?

big_z said:

-light leakage around the edge like in the picture below?

DSCN3028.jpg

-alien motion tracker sound with wifi on while recording a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b2zcxmPNm4

mine leaks 3/4" worth of light near the volume buttons and has the video ticking. im a few days past the 30 day limit to return it to best buy. are these problems normal or should i go to the apple store and chance my luck at getting a unit better/worse than the one i have?

Yeah, I only just noticed it a few days ago when I was using it in a dark room. In normal lighting it's not really a problem, but it is sorta annoying. Although if I've had it for about a month and a half and only just noticed the problem now, I wonder if it's worth making a big fuss over. The bigger concern for me is the build quality and physical stability of the thing than the light leakage itself.

But my light leakage is in the same place, near the volume button. There's also a bit around the edge of the bezel on the other side.

EDIT: Don't have the clicking sound when recording video, though.

Articate

Banned
Does anyone know any good iPhone headphones? And I mean headphones and not ear-buds. I'm trying to find a good pair with good sound and a crappy handsfree mic

nodle

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions. I was thinking of getting a 4g 32gig touch. I really don't want to use itunes. Can you buy apps directly off the touch and download them over wireless to itself? What I would really like to do is use Foobar to transfer music to it, then just buy apps and download directly to it. This will get me away from Itunes. Is this possible? Also say you buy an app and then later delete it off your touch, do you have to re-purchase it or can you sign back in and re-download it since you already bought it?

Husker86

nodle said:
I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions. I was thinking of getting a 4g 32gig touch. I really don't want to use itunes. Can you buy apps directly off the touch and download them over wireless to itself? What I would really like to do is use Foobar to transfer music to it, then just buy apps and download directly to it. This will get me away from Itunes. Is this possible? Also say you buy an app and then later delete it off your touch, do you have to re-purchase it or can you sign back in and re-download it since you already bought it?
Yeah you can buy apps directly. Apps can be redownloaded for free but you'll have to remember which ones you bought because you won't be able to tell if it has been purchased before when you go to redownload. It only notifies you, conveniently, after you've pushed "Buy".

mrkgoo

Is there a difference or recommendation between the www. And non-www. Version of the secondapps.com/neogaf webapp? They seem to be separate on my iPhone - if I login to one, it doesn't login to the other, for example. I understand that www. Is simply a prefix, and just wanted to clarify more about it.

Ever since upgrading my jail broken 4.1 Iphone 4 to non-jailbreak 4.2 my 3G has been laggy and or timing out. Im on the Rogers network, anyone else experiencing this issue?

To make it clear, im on apple's 4.2 firmware on my iphone 4 and my 3g connection is laggy. Its not responsive, some sites take upto 30 seconds to kick in and start loading, sometimes it will time out for good.

Anyone else having these issues on Rogers?

BTW i tried the reset network settings. Didn't work.
I also tried a complete restore and reinstalled 4.2 - didnt work.

What else can I try? This is so irritating.

EDIT: Called rogers, they reset my server side network settings. Problem seems to have gone away.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fuck Apple.

Every fucking time I update my iPhone to a new version it fucking bricks it. Go to fucking hell piece of shit software.

Restore once again!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ether_Snake said:
Fuck Apple.

Every fucking time I update my iPhone to a new version it fucking bricks it. Go to fucking hell piece of shit software.

Restore once again!

I have the same issue. It's why I don't update very often :/

numble

Again I feel there should be an iOS thread...

Apple's Remote App has been updated, you can control Internet radio now, and there is some new AppleTV and AirPlay stuff (I don't have an AppleTV, so not familiar).

rc213

Any Beejive owners in here? Thoughts? I see it's on sale for $4.99 thinking about picking it up.

Also Camera+ 2.0 is back up on the store for $0.99.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
numble said:
Again I feel there should be an iOS thread...

If you guys want to coordinate with the iPad people, there could probably be a combined thread when the next hardware refresh is announced or when either thread hits the 20,000 post mark.

While I have no preference on the iPod/iPad versus unified iOS thread issue, I'd absolutely like to see official threads whose OPs are not by banned users (and a note to other users, if you ever expect to ask to be banned, don't start an OT and screw over everyone else when the OP is abandoned), so that updated information will get put in the right place.

numble

Stumpokapow said:
If you guys want to coordinate with the iPad people, there could probably be a combined thread when the next hardware refresh is announced or when either thread hits the 20,000 post mark.

While I have no preference on the iPod/iPad versus unified iOS thread issue, I'd absolutely like to see official threads whose OPs are not by banned users (and a note to other users, if you ever expect to ask to be banned, don't start an OT and screw over everyone else when the OP is abandoned), so that updated information will get put in the right place.
Well, I understand the separate threads, because the hardware has separate features and even separate apps, and not everyone owns all iOS platforms, but when someone releases a universal app, I don't know what thread it should go into.

hyp

rc213 said:
Any Beejive owners in here? Thoughts? I see it's on sale for $4.99 thinking about picking it up.

Also Camera+ 2.0 is back up on the store for $0.99.
best IM client I've bought for the iPhone. i can vouch for it. haven't experienced any issues with it and the push notifications work as advertised.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Ok, here's a weird question: How can I differentiate between an iTouch 2nd and 3rd generation? My knowledge in models and capacities are only limited to the iPhone.

I bought my sister an iPod Touch 3G last year, a few months ago it stopped working for some reason so she took it to an apple store since it was still under warranty. They said it had to replaced and gave her a brand new device.

She asked me today to jailbreak it, and so as I was inspecting it, I double clicked the home button expecting to use the multitasking tray, but... nothing happened, even though it's running 4.2.1. The lack of multitasking is a pretty damning proof that it's a 2G, right?

I need an answer, asap please.

Edit: The capacity it 8gigs fwiw. I remember how big was the storage of the 3G I bought.

numble

Jinfash said:
Ok, here's a weird question: How can I differentiate between an iTouch 2nd and 3rd generation? My knowledge in models and capacities are only limited to the iPhone.

I bought my sister an iPod Touch 3G last year, a few months ago it stopped working for some reason so she took it to an apple store since it was still under warranty. They said it had to replaced and gave her a brand new device. She asked me today to jailbreak it, and as I was inspecting it, I double clicked the home button to use the multitasking tray, but... nothing happened, even though it's running 4.2.1. The lack of multitasking is a pretty damning proof that it's a 2G, right?

Edit: The capacity it 8gigs fwiw. I remember how big was the storage of the 3G I bought.
There was no 8G 3G model, if I remember correctly.

Kirby102

Jinfash said:

I bought my sister an iPod Touch 3G last year, a few months ago it stopped working for some reason so she took it to an apple store since it was still under warranty. They said it had to replaced and gave her a brand new device.

She asked me today to jailbreak it, and so as I was inspecting it, I double clicked the home button expecting to use the multitasking tray, but... nothing happened, even though it's running 4.2.1. The lack of multitasking is a pretty damning proof that it's a 2G, right?

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/iphone-ipad-content/what-ipod-touch-do-i-have

This should help :)

numble

Jinfash said:
Those motherfuckers! I need a second opinion before I commit a crime.
Okay, let me clarify--if you bought a 3rd year 8 gig, it was just a 2g model. If you bought a 3rd year 32/64 gig, it was a 3g model.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
numble said:
Okay, let me clarify--if you bought a 3rd year 8 gig, it was just a 2g model. If you bought a 3rd year 32/64 gig, it was a 3g model.
3G models only came in 32 or 64 capacities?

Also, after following the link Kirby provided, it turns out the one she has right now is an iTouch2G MC.

What's MC?

I've got two broken iPhones that I need to sell, but I want to clear the data from them, while keeping the jailbreak intact if I can.

The first phone is a 3G. The screen went out on me last night and it also has a broken silent switch, and sometimes after being in my pocket for a while it will tell me that there's no sim card in the phone (don't know if this is a hardware or software issue).

The second phone is a 3GS. This one's having worse problems. It was in my pocket and I bumped up against a table (not very hard). The phone was fine when I pulled it out of my pocket, but when I plugged it in at the end of the night, it wouldn't charge. It said it was plugged in and charging, but the percentage would never go up. So when I plug this phone into the computer iTunes won't recognize it because it's completely dead.

Any ideas on how to clear the data?

I need a good case for my iPod touch, mostly cause its so thin, it hurts to hold during some long gaming sessions, haha.

Ideally I would like one with an extra battery in it as well, for extended life. Any suggestions?

is it worth it to get a case for my ipod touch 4th gen? I never had one on my 2nd gen, and it lasted fine for 2 years before the screen cracked due to my clumsiness.

Rekwest

JodyAnthony said:
is it worth it to get a case for my ipod touch 4th gen? I never had one on my 2nd gen, and it lasted fine for 2 years before the screen cracked due to my clumsiness.

Yes¡

RPS37

I've been using Now Playing for like 2 years, but today I finally paid the 2 bucks for PhoneFlicks. It's basically the exact same app as Now Playing, just with no ads and missing all of the broken features from Now Playing.

Right now none of my queues will update except my disc queue.
Is this just some random problem with Netflix's servers right now or what?

EDIT: Talked to the dev. It's a problem with the Netflix API. App is the best. Get it.

rezuth

Ether_Snake said:
Fuck Apple.

Restore once again!
What are you people doing with them? Jailbreaking? I have updated my iPod Touch's and iPhones without any trouble ever.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does anyone have any idea about iPod touch glitching out slightly on the notifications and the icons in the top bar? Like digital noise that goes away after wiggling around a little. Kinda freaks me out that this thing is already dying after a few months.

Yen

When I go to Music and pick a song and play it, the screen changes to the typical music screen (with volume, fastforward/rewind) but it only stays there for a second before going back into the menu. Basically I can't listen to music on my iPod. Has anyone ever had the same problem and how do I fix it?

jts

...hate me...
Yenrot said:
When I go to Music and pick a song and play it, the screen changes to the typical music screen (with volume, fastforward/rewind) but it only stays there for a second before going back into the menu. Basically I can't listen to music on my iPod. Has anyone ever had the same problem and how do I fix it?
So the music app is crashing all the time. Yeah, I've been there. Actually, it wasn't just the music app, there was a time when I had my iPod touch 2G that most apps were crashing like crazy motherfuckers, but eventually that problem went away by itself.

Your best bet is probably to update or restore your iPod software.

Quick question...

My wife just got a new iPod touch and wants to create her own Apple ID and play all of the music on our iTunes account.

Here's the issue...we have simply been sharing my Apple ID for the past several years so everything has been purchased under my account. Is there any way for her to have her own Apple ID but still play the music previously purchased from my Apple ID? If that makes any sense. We only have one laptop...so all content is on one computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom