• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official iPhone/iPod Touch Thread: Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
6s6vix.png

Welcome to the new official thread! Everyone seemed to agree that the last thread was not only monstrous, but the OP really did nothing, while it could be providing useful information! I intend to be keeping this OP full of relevant information as well useful links as things change.

Old thread can be found here if you want to walk down memory lane.

READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION!

Feel free to recommend things to add to the OP to make this as useful as possible.

Table of Contents:

I. iPhone 4 at a Glance (Hardware)
II. Latest Update Information (iOS Software)
III. Hotkeys
IV. Definition of Jailbreaking and Unlocking
V. Frequently Asked Questions
VI. Tips and Tricks
VII. Useful Links​

Device Comparison
To be updated in September.

iPhone 4 at a Glance (Hardware)
134028-iphone_4_user_guide.jpg

New iPhone 4 Features include:
FaceTime - Video conferencing from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 over WiFi
Retina Display - 960 x 640 resolution display for 326 pixels per inch resulting in a super sharp display
5MP Camera w/LED Flash - More megapixels, better sensor, flash
HD Video Recording - Ability to record, edit and share 720p video
Antenna in the frame - The entire steel band around the perimeter of the phone is the antenna, for hopefully better reception of all wireless signals.
Gyroscrope - Full 3D tracking of the iPhone for use in lifestyle apps and games
Dual-Microphone for Noise Canceling - Mic on the bottom for you, mic on the top to capture and mute ambient sound
9.3mm thick - Currently the thinnest smartphone on the market

Latest Update Information
Screenshot2010-06-08at95347PM.png

Hotkeys
Sleep Device - Tap Power
Turn off Device - Hold Power
Reset Device - Hold Home and Power
Take Screenshot - Hold Home and tap Power
Voice Control (3GS only) - Hold Home
Task Manager/iPod Controls/Rotation Lock - Double Tap Home

Definition of Jailbreaking and Unlocking
Jailbreaking - Opening up iPhone OS which allows for installation of applications not available in the App Store.

Unlocking - Opening up the iPhone device to other cellular networks.

For indepth detail about jailbreaking/unlocking, read this post.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the best apps for this device now that I've got one?
A: Check out the app threads in the links section below.

Q: How do you jailbreak or unlock my device?
A: Check out the GeoHot pages or the Dev-Blog pages in the links section below.

Q: How do I change my icons and backgrounds?
A: You must jailbreak your device and install various programs from Cydia.

Q: How do I rearrange my icons on the device?
A: You can do this either through iTunes by clicking your device when it's connected and clicking on the "Apps" tab, or on your device itself by pressing and holding on an icon until it starts shaking, then shift it around. Press the Home button when you are done.

Q: How do you take a screenshot with your device?
A: Hold in the Home button and tap the Power button. Picture will appear in your camera roll under the Pictures app.

Q: Sound is only coming out of one side on my phone (I see two holes, but only one is making noise). Is something broken?
A: No, the left hole is a speaker, the right hole is the microphone.

Q: How do I make custom ringtones with iTunes?
A: Ramune wrote up a good tutorial about this here.

Q: What case should I get for my device?
A: I personally don't think you need one. They heat up your device more than it should and add bulk. The screens are naturally very scratch resistant and being super thin is one of the best parts about these things. If you really want a case, I think these guys have awesome ones. Also try this site, this site or this site.

Reviews for just about every case ever can be found here.

Q: Do I need a screen protector?
A: Again, I personally don't think so. Naturally very scratch resistant and most people can't apply the screen protectors properly and end up creating air pockets. If you have to, you can get this one because it's static cling vs. adhesive based.

Q: When are they coming out with new iPhones?
A: Always check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide before purchasing an iPhone (or any Apple product for that matter)

Q: Will I have to pay for major OS updates on my iPod Touch?
A: Always assume that yes, you will.

Tips and Tricks
  1. To zoom around in Safari, double tap the item you're attempting to get a closer look at. Odds are, Safari will zoom to fit the object in the window (whether it's text or pictures). To zoom out again, just double tap the same area.
  2. When receiving a call, you can tap the Power button once to silence the ring, and twice to reject the call.
  3. To scroll through your app pages, you can tap the bottom left/right corners to flip around instead of swiping left and right. You can also tap the little dots just below your last row of apps.
  4. Pressing Home while in Springboard will jump you back to your first page of apps. If you're on your first page of apps, then it'll jump you into Spotlight.
  5. In the iPod app, you can edit the quicklinks at the bottom of the screen by going into "More ... " and clicking Edit at the top left. Drag and drop.
  6. When using the keyboard widget, you can press and hold the "123" button and slide your finger over to the symbol. This will add your symbol in line, and then switch the keyboard back to ABC mode automatically. Great if you're just adding in a random character and then want to go right back to typing.
  7. You can enable caps lock by going into Settings > Keyboard. Double tap the shift key in the keyboard to activate.
  8. You can scroll back up to the top of most apps by tapping the Status Bar (where the time is). This includes Safari, so it's great when browsing large web pages.
  9. When listening to music and your phone is in sleep mode, you can wake your phone and double tap Home to bring up basic iPod controls. You can do this while in any application as long as you are listening to music already.

Useful Links
Official Apple iPhone Page
Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread
Official iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Recommendation Thread
Apple iPhone/iPod Touch App Discussion and Recommendations Thread
NeoGAF WebApp (bookmark this immediately on your device, and drop in here to thank ckohler)
Dev Blog Team (Jailbreak/Unlock)
GeoHot's iPhone Blog (Jailbreak/Unlock) and Twitter

Blackhead

Redarse
sqo9zl.jpg

Recent News Updated 11/21/09:
  • If you've installed SSH then best change your password.
  • Blacksn0w now provides a software unlock for all iPhones running the latest baseband (version 5.11.07)
  • Pakage is a new installer app, in the same vein as Cydia and Rockapp. Still in beta but promises to be better soon.
  • There are now multiple ways to get widgets and information on the lockscreen. Besides the archaic Intelliscreen and venerable Lock Info (finally out of beta) there is now Cydget (developed by Saurik), SmartScreen and QuickWidgets. Also available are Dashboards, iDashboard and CrazyDashboard. Not to mention function specific mods like SnowCover (presenting cover art display differently) and Frostbite (changing the battery lockscreen background). So if you just want to have a cover flow of your contacts on the lockscreen or really want it to look like the HTC Hero, it's up to you...
  • Saurik's released Cycript. It's "a programming language designed to blend the barrier between Objective-C and JavaScript. This project has similar goals to JSCocoa, but a very different set of starting technologies and a different guiding philosophy." For Cydgets and much much more I'd imagine. It's also worth noting that the developers of SmartScreen have made an SDK available so you may create your own widgets.
  • Firewall iP - blocks outgoing traffic. It alerts you when a connection is attempted and gives you the option to allow or deny it.

What are JailBreaking and Unlocking?

Jailbreaking: Opening up iPhone OS which allows for installation of applications not available in the App Store. To get more technical
Erica Sadun said:
"Jail" refers to file system limitations put in place by Apple on standard iPhones. These limitations restrict iPhone read and write access to just a small part of the media partition. You cannot access system files at all and you cannot use the disk directly as you would with an iPod with disk mode enabled. "Jailbreaking" opens the entire iPhone file system for use. Once jailbroken, you can read and write to system files as well as media files. You'll be able to use SFTP, AFP, and other standard file access protocols to read and write data... Jailbreaking also allows you to install third-party software (typically via Cydia) without using App Store and to access the Unix command line via OpenSSH...
Unlocking: Opening up the iPhone device to other cellular networks. To be more precise
Erica Sadun said:
Most phones (here in the US, anyway) are "locked" to a particular network... Unlocking lets you place calls with any GSM carrier by inserting different Subscriber Identity Modules (SIMs) into the phone. Normally these SIMs from unapproved carriers won't work. When your iPhone is unlocked, just buy a local GSM-compatible SIM, place it in your phone, and make your calls.

Standard Cautionary Words
Erica Sadun said:
Both jailbreaking and unlocking will void your Apple warranty, except in places like Hong Kong where the phone is sold already unlocked. Caveat Jailbreaker.

Jailbreaking is not a one-way path, however. You can restore your iPhone to its pre-jailbroken state at any time[/B] by restoring it with standard firmware. Guides exist for "revirginizing" an unlocked iPhone, but their efficacy varies.

The legal consensus is that unlocking and jailbreaking are legal in most countries, including the US, but Ars [and GAF] is not your lawyer so do your own research before choosing whether or not to proceed.

If you think jailbreaking and unlocking should continue to be legal activities in the US, please consider supporting the EFF's efforts to ensure it is so.

Unlocking
There are a couple of ways to go about getting an unlocked phone.

• Check if an officially unlocked phone is available for sale in your country. Apple keeps a list of all iPhone Carriers and the unlocking services that they offer. If there is no officially unlocked solution in your country you may try purchasing importing one of those iPhones (check eBay and the like). Keep in mind that those are cost much more than the typical retailing price for iPhones and if you have to get the iPhone replaced under warranty you most likely won't be getting an unlocked iPhone back.
  • Soft Unlock If you're only able to lay hands on a locked iPhone you may try unlocking with software. You'll need to jailbreak the phone first. For the iPhone 2G, unlocking is part of its jailbreak process. For the iPhone 3G and 3GS, the phone will need to possess particular baseband. If the Modem Firmware (Baseband) version is 04.26.08. then it's unlockable. with ultrasn0w from Cydia. Follow this iClarified guide for soft unlock. If it has the latest baseband, 5.11.07, then it's unlockable with blacksn0w. Follow this iClarified guide for soft unlock.
  • Sim Hacks There are sometimes hardware hacks available that can be attached to a sim card and will get it to work on the iPhone despite it being locked. I don't know of any currently working on the iPhone 3GS.
  • Push Fix for Hactivated phones (subscription service)
    If you have activated your iPhone (original,3G,3GS) without an authorized SIM card (i.e. Hacktivated) and are running OS 3.x, then your push functionality is probably not working. The existing fixes haven't worked because there is only one certificate that many people are sharing. For the push notification service to work, every device needs a unique 1024 bit certificate. The certificate does not contain any information about your device, so I can provide certificates without any information from your phone.

If you used blackra1n and have lost YouTube, I have free YouTube fixes for that. WiFi and GPS not working? Click here. My free youtube keys don't cause excessive battery drain unlike the original push fixes.

Steps to Jailbreaking

Guides
Jailbreak on iPhone OS 3.1+ with Blackra1n (Windows and Mac, for all devices with caveats for the iPod Touch 2G)
Follow iClarified's tutorial (Windows and Mac) or ModMyI's walkthrough or BigBoss's guide

Jailbreak on iPhone OS 3.1+ with PwnageTool (Mac only, for all devices with caveats for the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G)
Follow iClarified's tutorial, ModMyI's walkthrough or BigBoss's guide

Go with iClarified, I like their tutorials.

Did you follow any of those guides to completion and have Cydia on your phone? Then you're done; you can skip to FAQs if you like.

Tools
on iPhone OS 3.1.2:
  • Blackra1n RC2 (Windows and Mac only software; works for all iPhone and iPod Touch devices except some batches of the new iPod Touch 3rd Gen model)
  • PwnageTool 3.1.4 (Mac only software; works for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 1G and iPod Touch 2G*. iPod Touch 3G is not supported as well as *iPod Touch 2G not already jailbroken on 3.0*)

on iPhone OS 3.1:
  • Blackra1n (Windows and Mac only software; works for all iPhone and iPod Touch devices except some batches of the new iPod Touch 3rd Gen model)
  • PwnageTool 3.1.3 (Mac only software; works for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS*, iPod Touch 1G and iPod Touch 2G. iPod Touch 3G is not supported as well as *iPhone 3GS not already jailbroken on 3.0*)

on iPhone OS 3.0.1:
  • redsn0w (Multi-platform software - Mac, Windows and Linux; works for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 1G and iPod Touch 2G)
  • Rock Your Phone Desktop Client (Multi-platform software - Mac and Windows; works for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 1G and iPod Touch 2G)

on iPhone OS 3.0
QuickPwn, redsn0w, purplera1n, RockYourPhone...​

Not sure which tool to use? How to Select an iPhone Unlock/Jailbreak Tool (Hasn't been updated to include blackra1n yet.

Notes on Tethered Jailbreaking (thanks to enzo_gt)

enzo_gt said:
There is a word of caution though when jailbreaking newer iPhone 3GS models. Around the 41st week of manufacture of the iPhone 3GS, Apple began installing a new bootrom--a newer version of their iBoot--on the models. The fourth and fifth digits of your iPhone's software indicates the week of manufacture. If it is 41 or beyond, it is more likely that Apple has fitted your iPhone with the newer iBoot, iBoot-359.3.2 or 359.3-2. You can check your version of iBoot using this tutorial while your iPhone is in DFU mode. This is not set in stone however, since some models with a serial number under 41 could indeed have the new iBoot.

If it is an earlier version of iBoot, then you're good to go with your jailbreak. Note: If your iPhone is a refurbished unit, you may want to check out your iBoot version, as there is a good chance it will have an older iBoot version because it may be given a new serial number, but likely has older parts with an older iBoot.

What this iBoot does is it prevents your iPhone from rebooting if the power runs out, or for some reason needs to reboot. It puts it into recovery mode and the only way to get it out is to do a full restore of your iPhone via iTunes. This turns an otherwise untethered jailbreak that blackra1n does for every other iPhone model (freedom basically) into a tethered one. The only way to solve this is at the moment is to close iTunes and run blackra1n while your iPhone is plugged in. Hence you would need a PC nearby with blackra1n on it to boot your iPhone, "tethering" you to your PC in a sense.
Meet the Hackers
Dev-Team A group of mostly anonymous, curmudgeon programmers who've been supplying jailbreaking and unlocking tools since the iPhone OS 1.0 days. If they had a motto it'd be "slow and steady wins the race." Responsible for the Pwnage, QuickPwn and *sn0w apps.

Geohot A brash precocious teenager who found the first exploit of the iPhone OS. He flits in and out of the jailbreak scene and would be the hare counterpart to the Dev-Team turtle. Responsible for the *ra1n apps.

Ripdev A commercial company that provided jailbreak tools and installers most notably in the iPhone OS 1.0 days. Oldest group; practically dying to be honest having been superseded by the Dev-Team and Cydia. Responsible for the InstallerApp and Icy. Edit: RipDev has retired from the game.

Rock Your iPhone Team the relative new kids on the block and most likely the successors to Ripdev. They are a commercial company trying to set up a complete jailbreak solution and don't always play nice with the rest of the community. Responsible for the Rock Your iPhone Desktop Client and Rock apps.

I'm Jailbroken, Now What?

Most users jailbreak because they'd like to install applications not available in the App Store. There are quite a few easy-to-use alternatives for getting those apps once you're jailbroken. On the iPhone itself you can get Cydia, Pakage or the Rock app that provide graphical interfaces to installing applications just like the Apple's App Store app. Cydia is the most popular and should be installed with almost every jailbreak method you use. Icy and Rockapp may come included (they certainly will if you use InstallerApp or Rock Your iPhone to jailbreak). Steps to installing them can be found at their websites. Edit: Icy is no longer supported by the original developers and the code has been released as opensource. It is not recommended you bother installing or using it.

9sqvls.jpg

There are also desktop applications that can install apps to an iPhone connected over USB just like iTunes. Rock Your iPhone Desktop Client is a free alternative from R.Y.I. and includes their own developed apps (Intelliscreen, MyWii etc) to the pool available. InstallerApp from RipDev (cost $7) is native to Mac and Windows and can download apps from Icy and Cydia directly onto your computer. Both the InstallerApp and RockYouriPhone sometimes double as jailbreaking apps, offering a one-stop solution, but Ripdev dropped that feature since the release of iPhone OS 3.0 and R.Y.I. hasn't caught up to iPhone OS 3.1.
Edit:InstallerApp is no longer available nor supported

ProTip: ModMyI tracks a large majority of the apps, themes, tweaks, everything available through Cydia and provides a Cydia search engine if you're looking for something in particular (similar to what uQuery does for the AppStore).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is jailbreaking and/or unlocking illegal?
A: No, but IANAL so check the laws of the country where you reside.

Q: Can I unjailbreak my phone?
A: Yes, simply restore to the stock firmware, available from Apple, through iTunes.

Q: Can I brick the phone?
A: Er, I guess theoretically there is a possibility but I've never seen it happen.

Q: Will jailbreak and/or unlocking void my warranty?
A: Yes, but if you unjailbreak cleanly no one's the wiser ;). Just don't take a jailbroken device to an Apple Store and expect any help.

Q: What are some helpful websites to find information and ask questions after jailbreaking?
A: ModMyI's forums cover pretty much everything and has a relative high tolerance for new users. Also RockYouPhone has a partnership with the site. Lot of other developers frequent the forums and respond in threads for their applications there as well. MacThemes is, well, mostly interested in themes although you'll find some other tweaks have a home here. iPodTouchFans is a decent forum for owners of iPod Touchs.

Old News Updated 10/27/09:
  • RipDev, the developers of Icy and the InstallerApp, are saying goodbye after two years on the scene. The source for Icy has been released under the MIT license. If for some reason you still have Icy on your phone, and assuming it didn't already fuck up your upgrade to 3.1.2., you can go ahead now to flip that safety switch in CyDelete's settings and delete Icy from your device with no regrets.
  • If you're missing the Carrier Logo in your status bar (if you jailbroke with Pwnagetool) there is a fix now available. Install Carrier Logo Fixer, available on the BigBoss repo through Cydia, if you want it back.
  • How to Enable Tethering on Your 3.1.2 iPhone 3G, 3GS (PDANet and MyWi now work by the way)
  • Bluetooth A2DP Enabler for iPhone 2G.

LCfiner

I will post here from now on. I hope I don’t forget if the old thread keeps getting bumped. :lol

edit: I fucking love reading the Doubting Thomases posting on page 1 of the old thread :lol
so little understanding of what the smartphone market needed.

RubxQub

LCfiner said:
I will post here from now on. I hope I don’t forget if the old thread keeps getting bumped. :lol
I'll see if I can PM a mod to shut 'er down. I got as much support for creating this new thread as I could to ensure everyone was cool with it's creation, so hopefully no one crucifies me.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am still rolling with the 1st generation 8 gb ipod touch that I bought the day they were available. Works like a charm.

Juice

I hereby christen this thread. I won't really miss the old one, which so frequently devolved into a jailbreak handbook.

jts

...hate me...
Charred Greyface said:
You say that like it's a bad thing
I'm good either way, but a dedicated jailbreak thread would maybe be for the best. Esp for those who don't want anything to do with it.

gdt

I'll be in the market for a phone soon, definitely getting an iPhone.

Can you add some prices to the OP? Or just post them...

bonesquad

Gary Whitta said:
iPhone 3GS is the best gadget I've ever owned. I said that in the last thread but I'm saying it in this one too :D

I'm still stuck with only a 3G back from launch and I agree.

I somehow managed to forget it at home earlier this week and I felt naked all day... :(

Since this thread is new, here's a topic: what do we expect/want from the next generation of iPhone next year? Just another performance increase or more significant hardware upgrades? I must admit I'm already struggling to think what else they can get this thing to do... :lol

MThanded

Acid08 said:
I'm exactly the same :lol
the throwback :lol

Gary Whitta said:
Since this thread is new, here's a topic: what do we expect/want from the next generation of iPhone next year? Just another performance increase or more significant hardware upgrades? I must admit I'm already struggling to think what else they can get this thing to do... :lol

I need them to drop the at&t exclusivity and make a cdma version so their can be a phone on verizon/sprint. Prefer cdma to gsm any day.

MThanded said:
I am still rolling with the 1st generation 8 gb ipod touch that I bought the day they were available. Works like a charm.

Still have my 1st gen Iphone here. And a 4gig at that. It might be time to update though. Mine's been acting up a lot lately, software seems slower and the headphone jack/mute switch is on the fritz. I see a 3Gs in my future.

Gibbo

Just a question. Currently own a 2nd Gen ipod touch which I use mainly for music. Is the music quality of the Iphone 3gs the same -if not better than the 2g touch? Thinking of selling the touch away and purchasing the phone

MThanded

Gibbo said:
Just a question. Currently own a 2nd Gen ipod touch which I use mainly for music. Is the music quality of the Iphone 3gs the same -if not better than the 2g touch? Thinking of selling the touch away and purchasing the phone
I think being able carry one device instead of 2 is reason enough. If I could do it I would.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gary Whitta said:

Bitch moan bitch commences:

Support for a clip on d-pad and buttons. Every single iphone game experience for me has been me being annoyed or disappointed followed by me wishing it had a d-pad and a couple of buttons.

If anyone can recommend an action or adventure game that doesn't eventually suck because of controls, I will be very happy to try it. Right now I can just about tolerate the Zuma clone I have and the freebie version of Sniper. Is there anything like Myst, but with real 3D and fun gameplay?

I did finally break down and pay $4.95 today for the system update (touch) but wasn't it originally 9.99? I remember being too outraged to pay it at the time. I only capitulated because half the updates to my existing app demanded I upgrade the system software first.

EDIT: the Operation Timed Out. Great, this is fast turning into my entire PS3 experience. I am not cut out for the digital age. Where are my tapes?

mrkgoo

Gary Whitta said:
I'm guessing a major overhaul of the os for one. A new body design.

Front camera is something they can add.

RubxQub

Gary Whitta said:
Wireless N seems like a definite. Forward facing camera for video calls WOULD be interesting...but gratuitous.

FOUR G SUPPORT?!

aku:jiki

Guess I'll go ahead and post the latest jailbreak news, since I can't wait to do it on mine. :D

This team called appuloha1l are claiming to release a whole suite of jailbreak solutions in the coming days. Appuloha1l is supposed to jailbreak easily, ferociousbird is the 05.11.07 baseband unlock, chocolatera1n is a more advanced jailbreaker for no real reason and h1ssingsnake is an exploit they're hiding for whenever this exploit gets closed.

So, basically, they're claiming to do what everyone's doing, plus all of what nobody can currently do. Yeah, nobody's really believing all that. :lol

Ovid

MThanded said:
Have mine too but the touch recognition doesn't work like it suppose to anymore. It crapped out on me after about 8 months.

RubxQub

xcrunner529 said:
uh with what network?? Certainly not AT&T who hasn't even started. Heck, they can't even get 3G to most of their areas yet.
I know, but I'm already speed crazed! I want my wireless speeds FASTER! Unrealistic for now, but I can't wait till we get there.

Future

Gary Whitta said:
Higher res screen for sure. Competing phones are eclipsing it. I'd also like an overhaul to the UI. With apps gaining more popularity we could use a better organization scheme.

I'm happy with what I got though :D. I've now downloaded apps that change how I use the web.

Sean

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

I think the next iPhone will be somewhat of a minor revision in terms of hardware (things like matte casing perhaps). The 3G was the big step forward for internet/network speed and the 3GS was the big step forward for processor speed. I don't see what else they can do hardware-wise besides some minor tweaks.

Personally I'm hoping the big news is that it'll no longer be exclusive to AT&T. If you could get the iPhone on any carrier you wanted (Verizon, Sprint, etc) it would be game over for everyone else. Right now Apple has the best phone but it's limited to the worst network.

LCfiner

Gary Whitta said:

I actually think there won’t be a performance boost next year. same guts, new outside.

I think both an OLED screen and a videoconferencing camera are semi-reasonable expectations.

after using a Zune HD and running some side by side video tests with my 3G, I can say with 100% certainty that OLED screens are friggin’ awesome. the black levels, vibrancy and viewing angles stomp all over LCD. it’s slightly worse in direct sunlight than LCD but the pros outweigh the cons.

I don’t think I would use a videoconferencing camera except for 3rd party apps and games but others could find use for a videoconference app. there’s value there.

What I would like to see is a different shell. maybe a return to anodized aluminum/ plastic wifi shield. maybe some bright colors.

hopefully a better battery life if the 3G chip can be optimized (I think it’s still the same as last year’s model)

so my girlfriend wants to switch to at&t, and while i was thinking of the iphone, i've heard something bad about mms messaging?? 3gs is worthless? anything a new customer should know about them?

Acid08

Banned
In theory I'd want an iPhone but I really hate the idea that my phone and MP3 player are running off the same battery. I listen to far too much music throughout the day and text quite a bit. Regular phone + iTouch is a winning combo for me.

LCfiner

Acid08 said:
In theory I'd want an iPhone but I really hate the idea that my phone and MP3 player are running off the same battery. I listen to far too much music throughout the day and text quite a bit. Regular phone + iTouch is a winning combo for me.

music uses almost no power. I usually listen to 5 to 8 hours of music each day at work and the battery can be at 90% or higher if I don’t get on the net or play any games on it.

it’s the 3G data and voice and gaming that sucks up the battery quickly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Great job on the OP, Rubx. I'm glad I came up with the brilliant idea :lol

I had a spectacular time watching the Yankees game live on my iPhone through At Bat 2009. The MLB is so far ahead of the other leagues when it comes to utilizing technology.

RubxQub

big black woman said:
so my girlfriend wants to switch to at&t, and while i was thinking of the iphone, i've heard something bad about mms messaging?? 3gs is worthless? anything a new customer should know about them?
MMS messaging was recently added, so no deal breaker there.

The 3GS is far from worthless (going back on my 3G from time to time is painful), but if the price seems too high, there's no shame in settling for the 3G. It's still a great device and can do just about everything the 3GS can.

Are there specific concerns or features you're looking for?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
close the old thread!

and to juice lamenting that the old thread was a jailbreak guide, enthusiast message board + iphone is gonna equal a lot of jailbreak talk. it's not illegal.........(is it?)

Burger

mattiewheels said:
close the old thread!

and to juice lamenting that the old thread was a jailbreak guide, enthusiast message board + iphone is gonna equal a lot of jailbreak talk. it's not illegal.........(is it?)

Even if jailbreaking was illegal, which it's not, who would give a shit ? You paid hand over fist for the thing, who is to tell you what you can and cannot do with it ?

That said, all hail new thread!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Fantastic thread.

Now I have a question. I'm getting a 16GB 3Gs possibly tomorrow. If, let's say, the jailbreak goes wrong, is there a chance of it bricking my iPhone? I see GeoHot mentioning a restore? In the event of a failed jailbreak, does the program automatically perform a system restore on the iPhone and restores it back to OEM firmware? Just wondering what precautions I should take. I saw the videos on YouTube, and my God is it stupidly easy to do.

I'm worried because this PC is a bit slow, and my USB ports are stuck at 1.1 because of a driver error I cannot fix. I do have a new laptop, but I bought it for my parents to use so it'd be inconvenient to always use it.

Costanza

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Fantastic thread.

Now I have a question. I'm getting a 16GB 3Gs possibly tomorrow. If, let's say, the jailbreak goes wrong, is there a chance of it bricking my iPhone? I see GeoHot mentioning a restore? In the event of a failed jailbreak, does the program automatically perform a system restore on the iPhone and restores it back to OEM firmware? Just wondering what precautions I should take. I saw the videos on YouTube, and my God is it stupidly easy to do.

I'm worried because this PC is a bit slow, and my USB ports are stuck at 1.1 because of a driver error I cannot fix. I do have a new laptop, but I bought it for my parents to use so it'd be inconvenient to always use it.
There's something called DFU Mode built into a part of the phone that the jailbreak doesn't mess with, so you'll be able to do a restore if something fucks up.

I've never heard of anyone actually bricking their device with a jailbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom