• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official iPhone/iPod Touch Thread: Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
iphone 3g wireless connection:

i don't broadcast my signal. so, i have to type in the name every time i get disconnected and it's really annoying. on version 3.

Traveling to U.S. and Canada with an iPhone 3GS, can I get a pay-as-you-go data plan, I like to get voice but it's not as necessary. Can you walk into an AT&T or T-Mobile store and get what you need?

Kevin

I just picked up an iPod Touch 4G and was wondering if you guys could recommend a good protective case for me or perhaps a brand I should be looking at. Money isn't really an issue.

kaskade

Kevin said:
I just picked up an iPod Touch 4G and was wondering if you guys could recommend a good protective case for me or perhaps a brand I should be looking at. Money isn't really an issue.
I've been doing research and it seems like theres really not anything out yet from the big case manufacturers. The best you can get right now are those silicon ones. I'm not a fan of them since they are hard to get out of pockets. I would like to get the incipio feather when they hopefully release it for the 4g touch. I'm mostly worried about the back getting messed up. Right now I have it in an old sunglasses pouch which is working out alright so far.

SmokyDave

randomwab said:
I really wish I could use my iPhone 4 without a case. Does anyone do this? I'd be so afraid of dropping it.
I wouldn't dream of putting mine in a case. It lives in my front left pocket all on its own. Never scratched or scuffed it and I never scratched the 3G that lived in my pocket before. I couldn't bear to encase this gorgeous piece of design in some plastic or leather, it's perfect as it comes.

I am very careful with my belongings though, I can't imagine being caseless working for everyone.

SmokyDave said:
I wouldn't dream of putting mine in a case. It lives in my front left pocket all on its own. Never scratched or scuffed it and I never scratched the 3G that lived in my pocket before. I couldn't bear to encase this gorgeous piece of design in some plastic or leather, it's perfect as it comes.

I am very careful with my belongings though, I can't imagine being caseless working for everyone.
Right pocket over here. :)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
randomwab said:
I really wish I could use my iPhone 4 without a case. Does anyone do this? I'd be so afraid of dropping it.

Here's a shocker: cases only protect against scratches.

The iPhone is a pretty well built phone - mine has never had a case yet over two years it has sustained several falls on hard and soft floors, it has had an external HDD land on top of it corner first not to mention always been sharing pocket with keys and coins.

The most you'll get out of a fully rugged case like the otterbox is plugs for the openings which will protect them from dust or more dangerous types of dust depending on the work environment.

edit: according to greyface's proper critique i'm editing the crap out of the post.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bitmap Frogs said:
Here's a shocker: cases only protect against scratches.

The iPhone is a pretty well built phone - mine has never had a case yet over two years it has sustained several falls on hard and soft floors, it has had an external HDD land on top of it corner first not to mention always been sharing pocket with keys and coins.

The most you'll get out of a fully rugged case like the otterbox is plugs for the openings which will protect them from dust or more dangerous types of dust depending on the work environment.

Granted, the drops have always been from moderate heights (50cm the worst). But still, no case will do jack shit against a waist level drop with the only exception of something like the otterbox.
Your post was great until you started overreaching.

Anyway. I had an iPhone 3G that fell and the screen cracked. I went on and off with a case on my replacement 3GS but eventually decided that I didn't like the bulk and feel of the different cases (even though I'm pretty sure a case saved my phone on one occasion). I currently use an iPhone4 without a case. It depends on how cautious you are (and a certain amount of luck). I after all used the iPhone 3G without a case for almost a year without any problems and Bitmap Frogs claims even longer. The iPhone4 is thinner than the previous models so maybe the added bulk of a case won't be a problem but I haven't found any I liked enough yet (I got a Bumper and Pixelskin through Apple's case program).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Charred Greyface said:
Your post was great until you started overreaching.

Anyway. I had an iPhone 3G that fell and the screen cracked. I went on and off with a case on my replacement 3GS but eventually decided that I didn't like the bulk and feel of the different cases (even though I'm pretty sure a case saved my phone on one occasion). I currently use an iPhone4 without a case. It depends on how cautious you are (and a certain amount of luck). I after all used the iPhone 3G without a case for almost a year without any problems and Bitmap Frogs claims even longer. The iPhone4 is thinner than the previous models so maybe the added bulk of a case won't be a problem but I haven't found any I liked enough yet (I got a Bumper and Pixelskin through Apple's case program).

Yeah, I thought I was going too far as well.

Oh well, post and learn and guess =)

But the overall thing is, the iPhone is less fragile than its appearance makes it looks to be. Of course it has nothing on the old school nokias from the early 2000's but again no smartphone can compare in ruggedness, heck, not even Nokia's own offerings.

Blackhead

Redarse
Bitmap Frogs said:
Yeah, I thought I was going too far as well.

Oh well, post and learn and guess =)

But the overall thing is, the iPhone is less fragile than its appearance makes it looks to be. Of course it has nothing on the old school nokias from the early 2000's but again no smartphone can compare in ruggedness, heck, not even Nokia's own offerings.
Those millennium era mobile phones weren't just resilient in form, they were also resilient in function. Old nokia phones were pretty rugged but I have seen a few banged up—however the beat up phones were still usable. If the screen was scratched the text was still big enough and bright enough to be comfortably read. If the letters on the buttons were worn off (did that ever happen?) you would be able to recall them by muscle memory. The old phones were like the original gameboy; despite any damage you could keep playing. The iPhone and other new smartphones aren't usable the same way. A cracked or heavily scratched screen sends the user experience from pleasant to painful even if the phone is still perfectly working otherwise. You can't make out text, you can't tell what you're touching and taking pictures becomes a nightmare. A cracked iPhone is a horrible thing—not so much a cracked nokia feature phone (or cracked gameboy) though.

Another *snip*

Erm, I got busy and can't finish this. the tl;dr version of my intended post:
Damaged iPhones (touchscreen smartphones) suck much more than damaged regular phones. Scratched phones are bad for the same reasons as dented cars and torn clothes (resale value, looking good). We aren't snobbish to people who pay to protect/fix their cars and clothes (with umbrellas, coats, better hangers etc) from cosmetic damage.
Our iPhones aren't designed for deterioration. They look, feel and perform best when new.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My IPhone 4 started acting up today in a very bad way. There were long pockets of time where I could not make or receive any calls, despite the phone showing that it has 3-4 bars of signal as well as 3G active. Now I'm at the home, it started again, no calls can be made or received, 3G mobile internet doesn't work either. Wife's phone is on the same rogers network (she doesn't have a smartphone though) in the same room she can make the calls just fine, so it doesn't look like its a network problem.

I tried restarting the phone, resetting the network settings, it didn't change anything. In my 1+ year of owning the 3GS on this same network something like this has never happened. Has the phone gone bust after a week of use?

Medalion

Banned
I record a high-def vid with the iPod Touch 4g but when I email the video, the video gets compressed to less than 480p, what's the deal with that yo? Why can't I just email the full size video I took?

DarkJC

So I finally got my iPhone 4 (I'm in Canada) 2 days before the deadline for a bunch of promos and things up here.As expected, I love it. I know I'm 3 months late on this, but the text! So clear!

So what are some must have apps and does anyone have any case recommendations?
kidding ;)

numble

Reposting here since some people don't browse the gaming side anymore. There are massive game sales going on right now for some reason--I think it's because publishers realize that GameCenter + new iPhone/iPod Touch means a lot of people are looking at the App Store right now, and they're trying to take advantage. I know I'm looking at the Store a lot more now that I upgraded from 3G to iPhone 4 (Games and Apps aren't slow anymore!).

RBH said:
Updated list of price drops:

Metal Gear Solid Touch - $2.99
Driver - $2.99
Real Racing - $2.99
NFL 2011 - $2.99

Mirror's Edge - $1.99
Sonic the Hedgehog - $1.99
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $1.99
Doom Resurrection - $1.99
Doom Classic - $1.99
Star Wars Trench Run - $1.99
MLB Power Pros Touch 2010 - $1.99
Ace Combat Xi Skies of Incursion - $1.99
Castlevania Puzzle: Encore of the Night - $1.99
Zenonia 2 - $1.99
Hybrid 2: Saga of Nostagia - $1.99
Phantasy Star II - $1.99
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2 - $1.99
Monopoly Here & Now The World Edition - $1.99
Risk - $1.99
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 - $1.99
EA Sports NCAA Football - $1.99

Zombie Infection - $0.99
Assassin's Creed II Discovery - $0.99
Doom II RPG - $0.99
Super Monkey Ball 2 - $0.99
Pac Man Championship Edition - $0.99
Archetype - $0.99
Spore Creatures - $0.99
Monkey Island SE - $0.99
Monkey Island II - $0.99
Zenonia - $0.99
Peggle - $0.99
Geometry Wars Touch - $0.99
Civilization Revolution - $0.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour - $0.99
Soccer Superstars - $0.99
9 Innings Pro Baseball 2011 - $0.99
Baseball Superstars 2010 - $0.99
Need For Speed Shift - $0.99
De Blob Revolution - $0.99
Bookworm - $0.99

ChRoNiTe

Is there any way for TV shows to be categorized by season number once they have been synced to a iPod touch? I've ripped a handful of my discs and tagged them in iTunes under the video tab in the info menu. As it is right now it groups all the episodes under The Simpsons. I'd like to be able to get a sub menu with season numbers. Is this possible at all?

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I got a brand new iPod Touch 4 on 10 days ago and have been loving it.

Tired of climbing under my desk every time I wanted to plug/unplug the cable for it, I bought a simple USB extension cable. Yesterday, using this extension cable, I plugged my iPod in and took a 2 hour nap. I woke up and was surprised that the big green battery meter was displaying only an 80% charge.

I thought it may have been that extension cable I bought so I plugged in the official USB cable directly into my PC. The device won’t move past 80% charge. I even went as far as to mark the battery level with a piece of masking tape just to see if it was moving at all. I then thought maybe something was wrong with my PC so I plugged it into the wall using an official Apple wall charger. Still won’t get to 100%.

Anyone experience something like this? I’ve only owned the thing for 10 days.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I got a brand new iPod Touch 4 on 10 days ago and have been loving it.

Tired of climbing under my desk every time I wanted to plug/unplug the cable for it, I bought a simple USB extension cable. Yesterday, using this extension cable, I plugged my iPod in and took a 2 hour nap. I woke up and was surprised that the big green battery meter was displaying only an 80% charge.

I thought it may have been that extension cable I bought so I plugged in the official USB cable directly into my PC. The device won’t move past 80% charge. I even went as far as to mark the battery level with a piece of masking tape just to see if it was moving at all. I then thought maybe something was wrong with my PC so I plugged it into the wall using an official Apple wall charger. Still won’t get to 100%.

Anyone experience something like this? I’ve only owned the thing for 10 days.
Turn it off and on.

I tried doing that, unless there is another way to "hard" reset the power. I held the lock button for 5 second then slid the red "turn off" slider.

Came back on, still wouldn't charge to 100%. I will experiment more tonight as I'm currently at the office without my cable, I just figured I would ask.

It's been 10 days, you should just bring it to an Apple Store if you have one nearby, or get it exchanged at wherever you bought it. Make sure you backup to iTunes first so your new one can be restored to how your old one used to be.

jts

...hate me...
Drain the battery completely and then try to charge it again. It might be a calibration thing.

RPS37

Back in for an update on a pressing issue.

I'm still using Now Playing for managing my Netflix queue.
Is it still the only app with such functionality?

EDIT: And as a bonus for your help, I found out about a free podcast app today called Audiopress. Seems pretty decent.

rc213

RPS37 said:
Back in for an update on a pressing issue.

I'm still using Now Playing for managing my Netflix queue.
Is it still the only app with such functionality?

EDIT: And as a bonus for your help, I found out about a free podcast app today called Audiopress. Seems pretty decent.
What does it offer over the Netflix official app?

Medalion

Banned
My iPod Touch 4g is sexy right... but it could be sexier.

I think it's the contrast ratio or something. But still beautiful screen, loving the 720p vid, it's actually pretty good quality.

EYEL1NER

I guess there hasn't been much activity in this thread for a while (Scratch that, apparently I'm a big dummy and read somehow that the last post in the thread was pre-September), but I just bought a 4th Gen touch, 32 GB from Amazon. Waiting on it to get here, but was wondering how people like it?

My only experience with an iPod/iPhone was with my buddies 3GS and I loved it. I wanted a 3rd Gen Touch, but I want it for an upcoming deployment and don't have a camera, so I figured I'd pay the $40 more.

I've already begun looking into jailbreaking/hacking it, but I don't really know too much about it. It looked like maybe Spirit was the best/easiest way? But they don't have anything for iOS4 and up yet? I've figured out what Cydia is, I remember the icon on my buddies phone. And I'm stealing the theme/background he was using, because I absolutely adore it:
134521d1227754742-release-fallout-3-pipboy-3000-theme-4-colors-img_0006.png

The Pipboy sounds and the refreshing of the screen made me fall in love with it, and I'm not even that big a Fallout fan. If it isn't optimized for the retina display, will it still look alright?

And what cases are people using? He had a Speck Candyshell, all black except for the gray corners. I liked it and was considering getting one, but the 4th gen cases might not be out. I'm not sure. Amazon is showing 1 to 4 weeks for delivery and 1 to 4 months for the other colors. It is more than I would like to pay though. But maybe. I'd order it now if I had more than 1 week left in the country.

And for my last question, good headphones? What are some?
The standard ear bud style that come with it, those don't stay in my ear at all. Any ear bud headphones. I've been thinking about some of the silicone ones, but I am not sure if they would stay in better or not. Do they kind of suction in or vacuum in?
And the consensus on Skullcandy brand is that it is the Monster Cable of headphones, right? Overpriced average quality stuff?

Thanks for any guidance or answers.

Jacobi

Banned
Little game recommendation:

NY Zombies

I dl'ed it for free and have been pretty hooked (well, compared to all other games I've downloaded...). It's pretty fun, essentially a 360° light-gun shooter

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has anyone had issues with cover art recently? All of a sudden a bunch of my podcasts and some of my albums are getting totally random images from videos and what-not as cover art. Never had this happen before and I have no idea what could be causing it.

EYEL1NER

Well I already found some good headphones I guess. Ear buds don't stay in my ear for shit, but someone told me that the TJ Maxx in the area has a ton of iPod/iPhone stuff on the chea, so I stopped in.
Picked up some Skullcandy Riot headphones with the silicone inner ear things on them for $9.99 and I am loving them. I've always seen SC stuff and it seems really pricey. I assumed they were like Boss or Monster Cable or something, but these are really good. And loud too, it's a good thing I've already ruined my hearing. I put them in and shook me head back and forth a bunch, jumped up and down, tried to simulate running while in my living room, and they stayed in. Whereas I put the Apple buds in my ear for the first time and they were tinny, quiet, and wouldn't stay in.
I'm tempted to go back and pick up some of the other Skullcandy things they have.

And I know there is a iPod gaming thread, but I just got Angry Birds and PvZ (which I've already tried). Angry Birds is awesome. Looking at getting bit.trip.beat and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 next.

Figured out how to use Cydia a bit as well. I used LimeRa1n to jailbreak. And I've got that Fallout theme I love, but I haven't gotten a chance to go in and disable the scrolling line yet, so I don't use it since it drains battery life.
What are some must-have apps? I've only got Winterboard and Backgrounder at the moment.

And is there any word on when Yahoo Messenger will be able to do video chat on a Touch 4? Someone told me it was already capable of doing it.

Sorry for asking a ton of questions. Having just got into all of this, it's a bit overwhelming. This is also my first Apple product. The Apple brand was soured for me for a long time, based on me being forced to use shitty Macs back in school in the mid 90's and having a PC at home.

Manics

Banned
AstroLad said:
Has anyone had issues with cover art recently? All of a sudden a bunch of my podcasts and some of my albums are getting totally random images from videos and what-not as cover art. Never had this happen before and I have no idea what could be causing it.
I had cover art issues a long time ago when my cache got screwed up. Of course I was using Linux to sync wirelessly and it somehow screwed my art. Are you doing anything funky?

Ydahs

I keep getting this error code -402653165 when trying to update to iOS4 during the process of backing up. Now it prompts that continuing will result in losing all my data because of the failed backup.

I have an iPod 2nd gen that hasn't been jailbroken. OH WHAT TO DO :(

Ettie

I can't update my 2g touch either, but I'm just trying to get to 3.1.3. It just takes forever, then nothing happens.

Ydahs

Ended up formatting and installing iOS4. Goodbye save files :(

... and now I can't redownload a song! It says 'You have already purchased this item. Would you like to buy it again?' No I don't want to buy it again. I WANT TO REDOWNLOAD IT! The 'Check for Available Downloads...' option also doesn't work through iTunes. Am I screwed GAF?

Husker86

Ydahs said:
Ended up formatting and installing iOS4. Goodbye save files :(

... and now I can't redownload a song! It says 'You have already purchased this item. Would you like to buy it again?' No I don't want to buy it again. I WANT TO REDOWNLOAD IT! The 'Check for Available Downloads...' option also doesn't work through iTunes. Am I screwed GAF?
You can't redownload purchased songs for free :(

Ydahs

Husker86 said:
You can't redownload purchased songs for free :(
Actually...

"Shady, due to the circumstances, I've decided to issue 3 song credits to your account "---@---.com so that you can repurchase "---" and for the inconvenience caused."

First exposure to Apple customer service has been awesome. They replied in under four hours too :D

Husker86

Ydahs said:
Actually...

"Shady, due to the circumstances, I've decided to issue 3 song credits to your account "---@---.com so that you can repurchase "---" and for the inconvenience caused."

First exposure to Apple customer service has been awesome. They replied in under four hours too :D
That actually doesn't surprise me, they have to have some of the best customer support in the business.

kaskade

I got the incipio feather for my iPod touch. Came with an anti-clear and crystal screen protector. I put on the crystal one. Verdict=good! Exactly what I wanted.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Manics said:
I had cover art issues a long time ago when my cache got screwed up. Of course I was using Linux to sync wirelessly and it somehow screwed my art. Are you doing anything funky?
Not that I can think of. Just vanilla Win7 64. guess I'll have to go I'm and set what I can do manually.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
'sup guys

applestoreoctober2010red.jpg

So, you may or may not have noticed that this morning, Apple updated its own Apple Store app for the very first time, and version 1.1 has a little surprise. That's right, in the 'Reserve Products' screen, the much delayed white iPhone 4 shows up as an option. Now, before you lose control of yourself, keep in mind that you can't actually reserve one... yet. Of course, this could just be some sort of cruel glitch in the system, or it could be a tiny bit of evidence that the white iPhone is actually, finally on its way. At the very least, we know that Apple's still thinking of it... just like us.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/white-iphone-4-evidence-shows-up-in-apple-store-apps-update/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom