• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official iPhone/iPod Touch Thread: Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok I plugged someone else's iPod in my PC to charge it and it started automatically syncing. I unplugged it. Then when I plugged it because it was endlessly in "syncing". iTunes was saying it was "verifying". I did "Eject". Now all his tunes have disappeared. They are still taking space on the HD but not visible. What can I do?

Fusebox

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Ok I plugged someone else's iPod in my PC to charge it and it started automatically syncing. I unplugged it. Then when I plugged it because it was endlessly in "syncing". iTunes was saying it was "verifying". I did "Eject". Now all his tunes have disappeared. They are still taking space on the HD but not visible. What can I do?

Nothing, when he syncs to his PC next time it'll make the music/videos reappear again, but when this happened to me I couldn't find any way to force them back.

Burger

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread but I just read that turning off Spotlight in your preferences can result in massive gains in battery life. Also 3G users should see an improvement in performance.

Personally I never use Spotlight so I won't miss it, I'm going to try it on my 3GS to see if it makes any difference.

Leo Laporte on iPad Today and This Week in Google (about 27 minutes in) casually mentioned that the Apple iPod event is set for September 8th. He said it in a very "matter of fact" way, and no one on the panel batted an eyelash when he said that it was now confirmed.

Maybe the invites went out already? Weird... it seems way too early.

So, I have a 3GS on iOS4 and I have push notifications turned on, but they don't show up...until I receive a call. All the notifications pop up and I have to close them all before I can accept the call. Has anyone had this problem before?

Vyse The Legend said:
Leo Laporte on iPad Today and This Week in Google (about 27 minutes in) casually mentioned that the Apple iPod event is set for September 8th. He said it in a very "matter of fact" way, and no one on the panel batted an eyelash when he said that it was now confirmed.

That's about where it landed in September last year: one day after the "Buy a Mac Get a Free iPod" deal ended.

I'm so ready for the 4th gen iPod Touch. I haven't had a media/game device since I ditched the PSP earlier this year.

jts

...hate me...
Is there a jailbreak thread already?

If not, here's the question:

iPhone 3GS 32GB, iOS 4.1b3, jailbreak possible y/n? No blobs.

border

I downloaded a demo version of Espgaluda to try out, but for some reason iTunes/iPhone both refuse to display the installed app! I've tried going to the App management screen and indeed the Esgaluda box is unchecked. When I check it and hit "Apply", the phone just reverts iTunes to its original state, with the box unchecked.....it's sync'ing according to the phone, not according to how I tell iTunes to sync.

Never have I had such a problem with an app. What gives? Could it be related to the Jailbreak or something? Am I going to start having to install everything over WiFi?

whitehawk

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
iPod Touch Rumor/Confirmation

Fuck yeah. 5MP camera with flash I hope (probably 3MP). I'll be happy to sell my iPhone 4 and put the money towards the iPod Touch (and the forthcoming webos phones I'm still hoping for).
Did you link to the wrong article?

But yeah, if the the iPod touch has the retina screen + HD Video Camera, I will be a happy camper.

rc213

What are the chances there will be a $199 option for the new gen iPods? Don't really care about the screen but a 3mp+ camera that does video too would be sweet.

I'm still using a iPhone 2G i bought off craigslist for $25 and fixed myself. :lol

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
whitehawk said:
How is that confirmation though. Is John Gruber some insider guy?

The Grubes knows all. Back when the iPhone 4 was first being rumoured, he said:

"And they have no actual details of the next-generation iPhone. Nothing. Not the A4-family CPU system-on-a-chip. Not the 960 × 640 double-resolution display. Not the second front-facing camera. Not even the third-party multitasking in iPhone OS 4."

He knows all.

LCfiner

McBacon said:
The Grubes knows all. Back when the iPhone 4 was first being rumoured, he said:

"And they have no actual details of the next-generation iPhone. Nothing. Not the A4-family CPU system-on-a-chip. Not the 960 × 640 double-resolution display. Not the second front-facing camera. Not even the third-party multitasking in iPhone OS 4."

He knows all.

More importantly, though, he makes it very clear in his posts when he does know something from a source and when he's just guessing about stuff. More rumours sites would do well to differentiate their own speculation from things they hear from inside sources.

For the first 5 or 6 years of his blog, he had no sources at all and so his guesses would be way off (his posts about Apple switching to Intel are quite funny in retrospect) but nowadays he's got some reliable birdies dropping info on new Macs and, occasionally, iOS devices (he had no previous knowledge of what the iPad would look like but he had some iPhone 4 info nailed down).

Jasoco

Banned
Futureman said:
I thought iPod warranties were only like 90 days or something?

I just got an email saying my 1-year iPod warranty was about to expire and if I wanted to sign up for Applecare.

My iPod earbuds JUST kicked the bucket like a month ago, but I just threw them away as I thought the warranty was only 90 days...
90 days phone support. 1 year tech support. Expandable to I assume 3 years (Two extra) with AppleCare. Same as the computers.

rc213 said:
What are the chances there will be a $199 option for the new gen iPods? Don't really care about the screen but a 3mp+ camera that does video too would be sweet.

I'm still using a iPhone 2G i bought off craigslist for $25 and fixed myself. :lol
If it's like the last update, the $199 model will just be the current model with the $299 and higher ones being the new Retina/A4/Camera models. So I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a super awesone iPod touch with that stuff for $200.

okno

So, I spent a good four hours today just reading up on how to jailbreak a 3GS with 4.0, downloaded pwnagetool and the ipws needed for it, did everything properly, and then kept getting the 1604 error in iTunes (1600 if I went into DFU mode). Eventually gave up when my screen went black while I was attempting to exit out of restore mode, got Recboot and exited restore mode and then just walked away from the whole thing. Then, I stumbled upon jailbreakme.

It's seriously this easy right now? God damn.

rc213

Jasoco said:
90 days phone support. 1 year tech support. Expandable to I assume 3 years (Two extra) with AppleCare. Same as the computers.

If it's like the last update, the $199 model will just be the current model with the $299 and higher ones being the new Retina/A4/Camera models. So I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a super awesone iPod touch with that stuff for $200.

That's what I'm guessing will happen. =c What's the rumored date for the reveal? If it's not too far I will stick with my 2G until I know for sure.

okno said:
So, I spent a good four hours today just reading up on how to jailbreak a 3GS with 4.0, downloaded pwnagetool and the ipws needed for it, did everything properly, and then kept getting the 1604 error in iTunes (1600 if I went into DFU mode). Eventually gave up when my screen went black while I was attempting to exit out of restore mode, got Recboot and exited restore mode and then just walked away from the whole thing. Then, I stumbled upon jailbreakme.

It's seriously this easy right now? God damn.

Yes. Just don't update to 4.0.2 or newer until it has been deemed safe/jailbroken.

okno

rc213 said:
Yes. Just don't update to 4.0.2 or newer until it has been deemed safe/jailbroken.

Oh, I know that. I was more just stunned that I went through this huge headache and subsequent panic as my iPhone wouldn't turn on after attempting to upgrade the CFW, only to need to just type in a website on my iPhone and wait no more than two minutes and be done.

Vyse The Legend said:

So in about a week? Nice. I'm ready for a new ipod touch after that lackluster release last year. I lost my 32gb two months prior to the event so I was ready but sorely disappointed. I ended up just buying a nano, which has served me well but I'd like a new touch.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How do I transfer video I filmed with my iPhone to my PC? I want to upload some.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Quick question, I'm selling my iPhone 3GS for a Captivate. Does the reset/format erase all of my passwords (including iTunes login)? I need to make sure that the phone is wiped clean before I hand it over to my cousin.

Struct09

Ether_Snake said:
How do I transfer video I filmed with my iPhone to my PC? I want to upload some.

Connect your iPhone via USB, go to "My Computer", and browse your iPhone like you would a digital camera.

Husker86

AlphaSnake said:
Quick question, I'm selling my iPhone 3GS for a Captivate. Does the reset/format erase all of my passwords (including iTunes login)? I need to make sure that the phone is wiped clean before I hand it over to my cousin.
Erase All Content And Settings will wipe you clean.

So I'm trying to downgrade my 2G iPod Touch from iOS4 to 3.xx. Ever since I upgraded it's constantly been crashing apps (even stuff as basic as the Music/iPod app) and running extremely sluggish.

From what I understand, this is possible with my model, an MB model, but not the MC models because of something Apple changed with those models.

Well, every time that I go through the process of downgrading the firmware by restoring it in DFU mode with a 3.xx firmware it gives me an error saying that my "device is not eligible for the requested build".

Any ideas? I managed to get it down to 2.2.1, so it doesn't make any sense why I couldn't downgrade to a 3.xx firmware.

Anywho, pretty fed up at this whole process, especially if Apple is prohibiting me from putting a different firmware on my device because their update made it borderline un-usable in some cases. :(

Zoltrix

My iPod Touch doesn't play audio on the left side when I use earphones. Should I mail it in to be repaired or can I go to the Apple Store to have it fixed?

Dunlop

Feel kind of stupid as my buddy was talking about jailbreaking his iphone, I said I was going to research how to do it on my Ipod Touch and he grabbed it from me and jailbroke it in about 90 seconds.....

Is there an app alternative to the IPod Touch video player? I will happily pay for a good one.

I got all excited when I say VLC but according to the comments it is a PoS.

I tried to google NEOGAF jailbreak Ipod and this was the first link

Blackhead

Redarse
Dunlop said:
Feel kind of stupid as my buddy was talking about jailbreaking his iphone, I said I was going to research how to do it on my Ipod Touch and he grabbed it from me and jailbroke it in about 90 seconds.....

Is there an app alternative to the IPod Touch video player? I will happily pay for a good one.

I got all excited when I say VLC but according to the comments it is a PoS.

I tried to google NEOGAF jailbreak Ipod and this was the first link
The jailbreak thread is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405737

The vlc player is still being worked on, and there is also yxflash ($$) if you want to know all alternatives, but honestly there isn't much anyone can do to make a better video player. The specs of the iDevices just aren't good enough to play back almost everything that isn't H.264 (which is decoded by the hardware). You might be able to get some small SD .avi content to play with VLC, cinex, yxflash etc but the performance is usually poor. Consider either converting your entire library to Apple's preferred format or using streaming apps like AirVideo and StreamToMe

deadbeef

Apple can kiss my ass. If the damn iPhone 3G doesn't have the hardware to run the iOS 4.x acceptably, then DON'T PUSH THE UPDATE to the 3G phones. Assholes.

This P.O.S has to be restarted practically daily.

Vyer

deadbeef said:
Apple can kiss my ass. If the damn iPhone 3G doesn't have the hardware to run the iOS 4.x acceptably, then DON'T PUSH THE UPDATE to the 3G phones. Assholes.

This P.O.S has to be restarted practically daily.
Meh, then people would bitch that they didn't get the update.

4.1 didn't help you?

Vyer

deadbeef said:
Nope. They could at least let me roll it back. Just very disappointed with the whole fiasco.
Have you ever tried restoring as a new phone?

Seems like the new update helped some folks.

So does anybody here own the ipod touch 4th gen? How does the speaker compare to the 3rd/2nd gen? I'm disappointed by the lack of ips, does the screen still turn blue or yellow if you view at even slight angles?

If I wanted to get rid of my shitty Zune and get an iPod, what is one of the better models/versions out there? Keeping in mind I would like to watch video.

jts

...hate me...
Maklershed said:
If I wanted to get rid of my shitty Zune and get an iPod, what is one of the better models/versions out there? Keeping in mind I would like to watch video.
iPod touch. Excellent for video but also for oh so much more.

Just pick your poison at the storage/price ratio you like the best.

8GB - 229
32GB - 299
64GB - 399

32GB is the best bang for the buck IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom