• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official iPhone/iPod Touch Thread: Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
41gezBa9IDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just ordered one of these microphone nubbins for my iPod touch.

I pretty much just keep my shitty old HTC smartphone around for its voice recorder, and I was happy to sell it, buy an old phone with a million hours battery life and use my iPod touch for voice.

Basically, I'm wondering what app to get! I record interviews with people for work, and all I need is record, playback, and some way of getting the audio files onto my PC or Dropbox for backup.

Pastry

Banned
So what iphone app websites do you guys browse? The most popular ones seem to focus mainly on gaming and I'm trying to find a good site that covers a broader range of iphone apps.

mrkgoo

So I'm back in NZ now. Have to say the network is pretty good. I'm currently on Vodafone Prepay, and I have nominated one number (~US$4/month) that I can call for 1000 minutes and get 1000 txts, and for ~US$7, I get 100MB of data, all on no contract. Since I really only call one person, and just need a bit of internet to save my skin when I'm out an about, that's not bad. US$11/month.

Sure it's not amazing, but it's nice to have these sorts of options. Oh, and tethering works too, although I'd chew through 100MB just like that.

scottnak

So... I'm probably sure it's been answered SOMEWHERE but I'm having a hard time finding an up to date, clear answer for this (apologies in advance)...

Any idea what the best way to transfer my video files FROM my Ipod Touch to my computer is now?

Right now I've got my 3G jailbroken with iOS4 and I'm having issues with wifi. In the menus it'll say it's connected to my router, but at the top it has the edge symbol instead of wifi, and I can't connect to anything. Sometimes it'll have the wifi symbol and I still can't connect. Anyone know what's going on with this?

My 3G keeps telling me that the accessory I attached is not supported. But I have nothing connected at all. It's blocking me from hearing iPod content through the speaker, and keeps asking me to put it in airplane mode.

Any ideas?

Lamel

Banned
Okay so here's the scoop. My iPod touch is not charging anymore, it was two days ago, but yesterday it only charged when i held the sync cable in tight. Now it doesn't charge at all and I'm afraid the charging dock is broken. I have insurance from best buy that will replace it but I just have a few questions.

This iPod touch (3G 32 GB) had ios4 installed and a multitude of apps. Now I do have them all backed up on my pc but if they give me a new iPod and it has ios3 installed, will it cause any problems? Will I be able to upgrade to ios4 and then sync the apps/music? (some apps are ios4 only such as ibooks). Perhaps they now have ipods with ios4 preinstalled? Thanks a lot in advance, help is needed ASAP

Don't know how this is possible but I just jailbroke my 3G to iOS4 using PwnageTool and I enabled the multitasking, home screen background, battery %, etc features that we 3G owners are not supposed to get and my phone is faster than it was before. I don't really need those features but I was curious to see how they would run. I haven't installed any other apps yet but it is lightning fast right now. Multitasking works great with the Apple made apps I have on the phone after a fresh install.

I don't get it. I thought it was supposed to be slow as molasses? I will probably turn off the home screen wallpaper if I start to see slowdown after installing a few more apps but right now it is perfectly fine.

I giving my 3G to a friend who is on T-mobile so I need to Jailbreak and unlock it. Problem is I've never done that before and I'm a little skittish. What Jailbreak software is the best and will give the least amount of problems to someone like me. The 3G is on firmware 3.1.3 if that helps any.

criesofthepast said:
Don't know how this is possible but I just jailbroke my 3G to iOS4 using PwnageTool and I enabled the multitasking, home screen background, battery %, etc features that we 3G owners are not supposed to get and my phone is faster than it was before. I don't really need those features but I was curious to see how they would run. I haven't installed any other apps yet but it is lightning fast right now. Multitasking works great with the Apple made apps I have on the phone after a fresh install.

I don't get it. I thought it was supposed to be slow as molasses? I will probably turn off the home screen wallpaper if I start to see slowdown after installing a few more apps but right now it is perfectly fine.
It is slow as molasses, you just don't have a reference. You get used to the 3G taking 4-10 seconds to open things and it doesn't feel so long.

Blackhead

Redarse
iPhone 4's 5MP Camera Won't Fit in Current iPod Touch Design

4PDRq.jpg

iPod touch (left) and iPhone 4 camera (right)

After we heard today's rumors claiming that the next iPod touch might be getting the iPhone 4's 5-megapixel camera, we asked iFixit's Kyle Wiens if that would even be possible given the sizes of the parts involved. iFixit offers repair guides (iPhone 4 guide) and parts for Apple products and has made a name for itself by posting detailed product teardowns.

This issue of camera size is one we've seen before. The iPod nano, for example, contains a video-only camera but is unable to take still photos. Steve Jobs explained the reason to the The New York Times:

I also asked him why the Nano can record video, but can't snap still photos. That reason, he said, is technical: the sensors you need to record video are extremely thin these days -- thin enough to fit into the wafer-thin Nano. But the ones with enough resolution for stills, especially with autofocus (like the sensor in the iPhone), are much too thick to cram into a player that's only 0.2 inches thick.​

Wiens reports on the relative sizes of the hardware in question:

- iPhone 4 5MP (back) camera: 6.5mm
- iPhone 4 FaceTime (front) camera: 2.5mm
- iPod touch width (at edges): 6mm

The iPod touch dimensions don't include the casing and display, so actual usable space is smaller than the 6mm shown. This shows that the iPhone 4's back camera can not fit in the iPod touch, though the front FaceTime camera could. It's possible that Apple might "square off" the iPod touch design like the iPhone 4, but even so, Wiens still isn't sure that it would be possible in the current dimensions. That would mean Apple would have to make the iPod touch thicker as well as "squaring off" the design to accommodate the 5MP camera.

Given the early iPod touch parts and Apple's push for FaceTime, it seems likely that the next iPod touch will have a front-facing FaceTime camera, but the same high quality 5MP iPhone 4 camera seems less likely.

Which trade-offs would you make?

I was always under the impression that iPod touches were consistently slimmer than iPhones, so isn't that a given? The sky is blue too, don't ya know.

Blackhead

Redarse
thewesker said:
I was always under the impression that iPod touches were consistently slimmer than iPhones, so isn't that a given? The sky is blue too, don't ya know.
I can wish, can't I? I'd make the tradeoff (include a camera for much thicker body) if it were up to me.

Husker86

thewesker said:
Are they going to be able to go 'much' thinner this time though? I think they are pushing the limit to fit a headphone jack as it is in the iPhone4.

I really hope they use the design of the iPhone4 for the iPod, I really like that shape.

deadbeef

Hey iPhone geniuses, how do I downgrade my iPhone? I have a 3G iPhone and I upgraded to the new OS and ever since then my phone has been so slow as to be practically unusable.

Is there a way to go back to the old OS?

Right, I have the latest 8gb ipod touch, i was using itunes to upload some stuff onto the ipod for the first time in a while, and it said i can update to 4.0, so i did, however somewhere along the line this didn't go right, and now my ipod is bricked, i have tried restoring it but it says it can't and i get error code 21, which i have googled but none of the results worked.

So my question is, can i do a hard reset or anything, just so i can start over ? Advice guys ? Was thinking i might just take it back to the store.

Burger

deadbeef said:
Hey iPhone geniuses, how do I downgrade my iPhone? I have a 3G iPhone and I upgraded to the new OS and ever since then my phone has been so slow as to be practically unusable.

Find the firmware version specific to your model online, save it to your desktop or somewhere, the file should end in .IPSW

In iTunes, option/alt click the 'Restore' button, and select the file in the dialog that pops up.

cvxfreak

I tried looking online, but it's difficult to find an answer given how varied this topic is, but is my Japanese iPhone 3GS able to be unlocked? Here's some information:

iOS4
Modem Firmware: 05.13.04

I'm not talking about a Jailbreak per se, but an unlock. It would be nice to use my old AT&T number whenever I visit the U.S.

cvxfreak said:
I tried looking online, but it's difficult to find an answer given how varied this topic is, but is my Japanese iPhone 3GS able to be unlocked? Here's some information:

iOS4

I'm not talking about a Jailbreak per se, but an unlock. It would be nice to use my old AT&T number whenever I visit the U.S.

You'll have to wait for the new jailbreak. You need to jailbreak to unlock. If you were jailbroken previously and saved your SHSH Blobs for 3.1.3 then you could downgrade, jaulbreak and unlock.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
deadbeef said:

Unless you saved your SHSH blobs for prior firmwares I don't think you can. IIRC Apple has stopped signing firmwares prior to 4.0.1 already thus if you've upgraded you can no longer downgrade without Cydia stored/local SHSH backups. This is regardless of jailbreak status.

cvxfreak said:

iOS4

New or old bootrom on the 3GS? If it has the old bootrom you can use the currently available Pwnage tool 4.0.1 jailbreak/ultrasn0w combo to jailbreak/unlock. If you have the new bootrom you'll have to wait for the upcoming jailbreak.

Old bootrom: iBoot-359.3
New bootrom: iBoot-359.3.2

iClarified has a simple guide how to check which you have: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10301
(FYI: to later exit DFU mode, hold Power/Home buttons for 10+ seconds to reboot back to normal)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the way this syncing bullshit works? Why can't I just drag a damn picture folder into iTunes so they get sent to my damn phone in the photos section? Why does it sync apps when I don't give a fuck about syncing apps. Why does it backup when I don't want it to.

What a load of shit. iTunes = old POS. I want to see my phone on my PC and drag stuff into it, period. If I want to do a damn backup I'll do right-click/backup! Why does it have to be more complicated?

And why can't I just create folders on my phone for the photos? Why are they all in photo library?

edit: Now all I see is a giant censorship-like box that is hiding most of my pictures. POS!!!

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but what's the verdict with iBooks vs the Kindle app on the iPod Touch/iPhone? Is the iPod screen sufficient for an e-reader experience?

Ether_Snake said:
Am I the only one who doesn't understand the way this syncing bullshit works? Why can't I just drag a damn picture folder into iTunes so they get sent to my damn phone in the photos section? Why does it sync apps when I don't give a fuck about syncing apps. Why does it backup when I don't want it to.

What a load of shit. iTunes = old POS. I want to see my phone on my PC and drag stuff into it, period. If I want to do a damn backup I'll do right-click/backup! Why does it have to be more complicated?

And why can't I just create folders on my phone for the photos? Why are they all in photo library?

edit: Now all I see is a giant censorship-like box that is hiding most of my pictures. POS!!!
I think you want a different phone or something if little things like that make you freak out. I personally enjoy how I plugin my iPhone and it does everything for me.

numble

Ether_Snake said:

You can cancel the backup.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
thewesker said:
I think you want a different phone or something if little things like that make you freak out. I personally enjoy how I plugin my iPhone and it does everything for me.

Does everything for me? How about 200 pictures that are BLACK BOXES. How about not having a "delete" photo option on the phone anymore? That's right, I can't even delete a photo anymore. Oh wait! You can't delete pictures that were uploaded from your PC. Makes perfect sense! And if I want to organize them I have to download iPhoto? Seriously, wtf.

Burger

Ether_Snake said:
Does everything for me? How about 200 pictures that are BLACK BOXES. How about not having a "delete" photo option on the phone anymore? That's right, I can't even delete a photo anymore. Oh wait! You can't delete pictures that were uploaded from your PC. Makes perfect sense! And if I want to organize them I have to download iPhoto? Seriously, wtf.

You can delete photos on your phone, what are you on about.

KTallguy

Banned
I agree, the biggest annoyance about an iPhone is the hurdles and bullshit that you have to jump through to upload things like pictures. I basically have to sync a directory and then put the photos in there, which means I have to make duplicates of photos in a "to iPhone" folder. Really annoying. And as ether said, if it's a synced PC folder the delete option doesn't exist...

That being said, the good outweighs the bad in this situation.

McBacon said:
Darkflight said:

Thank you so fucking much.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
KTallguy said:
I agree, the biggest annoyance about an iPhone is the hurdles and bullshit that you have to jump through to upload things like pictures. I basically have to sync a directory and then put the photos in there, which means I have to make duplicates of photos in a "to iPhone" folder. Really annoying. And as ether said, if it's a synced PC folder the delete option doesn't exist...

That being said, the good outweighs the bad in this situation.

Thank you so fucking much.

Exactly! It's ridiculous. I just had to do this now.

I had heard Steeve Jobs was a no-nonsense kind of guy when it comes to this kind of stuff but they couldn't get it right for the iPhone because they wanted to shoe-horn iLife into everyone's face.

Here's how it SHOULD be:

I plug my iPhone in my PC.

The display IDENTICAL to my iPhone appears.

I can click on anything like I would on my iPhone. But I can create albums in the photo album, drag and drop pictures, do the same with movies, music, etc., drga and drop apps, and so on and so forth.

It should be the same interface. iTunes is slow, non-user-friendly, etc.

KTallguy

Banned
I think it's a mentality thing too.
The sync iLife mentality kind of grabbed older people or non control freak people because of the automatic fill and forget stuff. Also many people have a lot more music than could fit on the older devices (now not so much).

I will be honest, once I got used to it, I'm not as flustered.
I have my whole music library in iTunes and then hit the "random fill button" and get some stuff that I forgot I had :lol I think that's kind of cool.

But after years and years of drag and drop, the lack of control is annoying.

Burger

Ether_Snake said:
Not if they have been added from a PC!

Is a Mac a PC ? Or do you mean Windows computers ? Because I can delete photos on my phone whether they were syncyed across, or taken on the phone...

KTallguy

Banned
Burger said:
Is a Mac a PC ? Or do you mean Windows computers ? Because I can delete photos on my phone whether they were syncyed across, or taken on the phone...

In order to get pictures from your (Windows) PC to your iPhone, you have to create a folder with a bunch of pictures in it on your (Windows) PC and sync it to your iTunes in the iPhone menu.

When you sync it, it will appear in your picture folders as the name of the folder on your PC.
However you can't actually delete any pictures in that directory. The trash can icon disappears.

It's similar to the fact that I can't delete an mp3 from my iPhone, I have to sync it to iTunes and delete it from there. I can delete video but not an mp3? Why?

Husker86

So like most people (I assume), I have a decently large library of music that I've been collecting probably since I was in middle school. I have my iPhone only sync my checked songs but I'm sure there are songs that aren't checked that I'd want. What I'm looking to do is be able to filter my sync based on ratings, but still have the unrated songs sync as I haven't given ratings to the majority of my music.

The Zune software made it so it would not sync any "thumbs down" songs (but this still let the unrated songs go to the Zune). I am looking to do something similar but I cannot find a way in either the sync settings or the Smartlist filters. Just wondering if anyone knows anything I'm missing.

I know I can sync all of my music and make a Smartlist that will only sync certain ratings, the problem with this is that as I'm listening to "all songs", ratings something 1 star won't remove it from my device, so there is a chance it will pop up again next time I start the "all songs shuffle". Right now I'm thinking my only option is to check all songs, rate them as I listen, then uncheck the 1-stars the next time I sync with iTunes. This wouldn't be ideal but I can't think of anything else.

tldr: I want iTunes to automatically remove 1-starred songs from sync but still sync unrated songs.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Only solution I can think of:

Make two smart playlists.

One playlist is "Rating is NOT 1 star" (you can title it anything you want)

The other is "Rating IS one star" (you can title it anything you want)

Make it so iTunes only syncs songs in the first playlist (plus any other playlists you have)

LCfiner

Husker86 said:
So like most people (I assume), I have a decently large library of music that I've been collecting probably since I was in middle school. I have my iPhone only sync my checked songs but I'm sure there are songs that aren't checked that I'd want. What I'm looking to do is be able to filter my sync based on ratings, but still have the unrated songs sync as I haven't given ratings to the majority of my music.

The Zune software made it so it would not sync any "thumbs down" songs (but this still let the unrated songs go to the Zune). I am looking to do something similar but I cannot find a way in either the sync settings or the Smartlist filters. Just wondering if anyone knows anything I'm missing.

I know I can sync all of my music and make a Smartlist that will only sync certain ratings, the problem with this is that as I'm listening to "all songs", ratings something 1 star won't remove it from my device, so there is a chance it will pop up again next time I start the "all songs shuffle". Right now I'm thinking my only option is to check all songs, rate them as I listen, then uncheck the 1-stars the next time I sync with iTunes. This wouldn't be ideal but I can't think of anything else.

tldr: I want iTunes to automatically remove 1-starred songs from sync but still sync unrated songs.

this will do it. I just tested it out.

Y76fb.png

border

Mint is the one that wants all of your personal banking info and stuff, isn't it? I think I'd take a pass on that. I'd much rather just enter everything manually as I make purchases throughout the day.....even though it'd be more of a hassle.

Okay, for no reason whatsoever my iPod Touch decided to erase all its contents. What the fuck. There is nothing on it anymore. No music, no apps, no photos. I can't use my backup that I did yesterday for some reason as well. So how can I redownload all my apps in one move? Or do I have to do that app by app, for I will surely kill someone if that's the case. What the fuck?

border

Just got done jailbreaking and unlocking an inherited 3G, running iOS4. While it's a big upgrade from my 2G (which was pretty slow ever since the 3.0 upgrade) it is kinda disappointing that I have this nice new phone and it still hangs and chugs when accessing contacts and SMS and stuff.

Is there any reason whatsoever that I should keep iOS4 on this phone? The major features of the upgrade aren't even available it looks like -- I can't multitask, I can't even set my own wallpaper (wtf?). Why did they even bother making this upgrade available to 3G owners?

How hard/complex is it to downgrade? Will I have to unlock/jailbreak it all over again?

Blackhead

Redarse
NotifiedApp

dvivr.png

Notified app adds an Android like notification system to your iPhone, but in true Apple style.

IZJst.png
mK7SR.png
The free version was just released on the ModMyI repo (a pro version is coming this weekend). Unfortunately, it's not working on iPhone OS 3.x (the fix didn't work for me) so I couldn't see it in action on a friend's jailbroken 3GS but it should ork for all y'all running a jailbroken iOS4. The possibilities of a better notification system is one of the main reasons I can't wait to jailbreak my iPhone4!

border said:
Just got done jailbreaking and unlocking an inherited 3G, running iOS4. While it's a big upgrade from my 2G (which was pretty slow ever since the 3.0 upgrade) it is kinda disappointing that I have this nice new phone and it still hangs and chugs when accessing contacts and SMS and stuff.

Is there any reason whatsoever that I should keep iOS4 on this phone? The major features of the upgrade aren't even available it looks like -- I can't multitask, I can't even set my own wallpaper (wtf?). Why did they even bother making this upgrade available to 3G owners?

How hard/complex is it to downgrade? Will I have to unlock/jailbreak it all over again?
Apple is looking into the problems with iOS4 on the iPhone 3G but who knows if there will ever be a fix. Here's a guide to downgrading. It's not too hard. And you don't have to unlock/jailbreak again unless you want to. Before you downgrade though, try unlocking all the features of iOS4 to see if it's worth avoiding all that hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom