• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official iPhone/iPod Touch Thread: Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

StopMakingSense said:
Really? Apart from some funkyness when pulling my email in the bkg, iOS 4 has been pretty darn OK on my 3g. If anything it has improved its battery life.
Sadly I'm in the DMeisterJ and mrkgoo camp. Performance and stability on my 3G has been noticeably hampered by the update. Opening my SMS messages takes fucking forever now.

ACE 1991

Does anyone use the podcaster app? It works far better than itunes podcast support, but it seems to always start over whatever podcast I'm listening to whenever I turn off my ipod touch. Any way to fix this?

Guys should I close off the apps that are visible in my "multitasking" menu or let them stay there?
I updated yesterday and experienced a great loss in battery time compared to 3.1.3
There are a lot of apps in background so perhaps that explains it. In any case is there a way to turn off multitasking?

This is on 16GB 3GS

LCfiner

Melhisedek said:
Guys should I close off the apps that are visible in my "multitasking" menu or let them stay there?
I updated yesterday and experienced a great loss in battery time compared to 3.1.3
There are a lot of apps in background so perhaps that explains it. In any case is there a way to turn off multitasking?

This is on 16GB 3GS

the multitasking menu is just a recently used app menu. apps are on there whether they're running or not. the only time you would want to close an app from that menu is if:

a) it's a music streaming app playing music

b) it's a location tracking app and the compass arrow icon is showing in the menu bar.

otherwise, you're not actually doing anything.

My wife got an iPhone 4, so I sold her old 3G on bay. I was restoring it today and noticed it won't connect to any wifi network. I've tried our network at home and networks around work, all work fine on my iPhone, but don't connect on hers. It does see the network, but gives an "unable to connect" error. I've restored back to 3.1.3 and reset the network settings, but it won't budge. Any ideas?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
infiniteloop said:
My wife got an iPhone 4, so I sold her old 3G on bay. I was restoring it today and noticed it won't connect to any wifi network. I've tried our network at home and networks around work, all work fine on my iPhone, but don't connect on hers. It does see the network, but gives an "unable to connect" error. I've restored back to 3.1.3 and reset the network settings, but it won't budge. Any ideas?
Settings / General / Reset / Reset Network Settings

Pachimari

So I just got home from a 2 hour drive, having bought a used iPhone 3GS.
This is my first time connecting it to iTunes on a Mac Mini.

I have inserted my SIM card in the phone and connected it with the USB-cable. iTunes is displayed on the phone and a slider for emergency calls. Though, the phone does not show up in iTunes - what am I doing wrong?

Help would be appreciated within an hour, as I'm heading out. =)

Pachimari

So I have tried a lot of things.
The phone shows up in iTunes on my Windows netbook but won't on my new Mac Mini, even having tried all four USB-ports. So I figured to transfer my iTunes library back to Windows but apparently my external harddrive is 'read-only'.

How can I make iTunes recognise the iPhone 3GS?

It's running iOS4, I got iTunes 9.2 installed and have tried the Home/Sleep button combination on the phone. Now what? =/

I have an iPhone 3GS that I'm trying to unlock/jailbreak. i did the steps for pwnagetool, but when I try to restore the rom, it gives me a 1600 error? I did it last night but screwed up so I had to restore it...maybe thats the reason?

Anastacio said:
So I have tried a lot of things.
The phone shows up in iTunes on my Windows netbook but won't on my new Mac Mini, even having tried all four USB-ports. So I figured to transfer my iTunes library back to Windows but apparently my external harddrive is 'read-only'.

How can I make iTunes recognise the iPhone 3GS?

It's running iOS4, I got iTunes 9.2 installed and have tried the Home/Sleep button combination on the phone. Now what? =/

If the iPhone shows in your Windows iTunes it means it's activated, correct? Try doing a full wipe (2 hours), then activate it on your Mac.

Crimmy

Quick Question: So I synced my iphone 4 and did the backup thing from my other phone. However I have none of my applications from my older phone on my new one. I thought it was supposed to sync everything. All my songs and everything else including settings are fine but I have ZERO apps. Am I going to have to rebuy everything again?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Crimmy said:
Quick Question: So I synced my iphone 4 and did the backup thing from my other phone. However I have none of my applications from my older phone on my new one. I thought it was supposed to sync everything. All my songs and everything else including settings are fine but I have ZERO apps. Am I going to have to rebuy everything again?
Do you have apps set to sync?

Husker86

Crimmy said:
Rebuy, no. Worst case is you have to download them? But you definitely won't have to pay for them assuming you're using the same itunes id.

Crimmy

RubxQub said:
Do you have apps set to sync?

How do I do that?

And to the person above, its happened before where I had to rebuy songs. It will say something bout having to repurchase even though Im using the same ID.

Im trying to re download wunderradio now but its saying cant connect to the itunes store for some reason. Ill try again in a lil bit I guess.

Edit: Okay so Wunderradio re downloaded fine without me getting charged but if there was a way to get my old apps on the new phone without having to redownload everything, it'd make things alot easier for me. I have my itunes set to automatically sync everything when I connect the phone. Is there something else Im supposed to do for apps?

Crimmy said:
How do I do that?

I have my itunes set to automatically sync everything when I connect the phone. Is there something else Im supposed to do for apps?

Go to your iPhone tab in iTunes, click App tab, and check if Sync is selected.

Pachimari

Castor Krieg said:
If the iPhone shows in your Windows iTunes it means it's activated, correct? Try doing a full wipe (2 hours), then activate it on your Mac.
Yes, it's now activated on the Windows - it wasn't before though and the Mac still didn't notice it.

How do I do a full wipe?

ACE 1991

Alright guys, I'm having a ton of problems with podcasts. For some reason, podcasts show up on my ipod touch (3rd gen with ios 4) has having playback position as "00:00" and show length as "00:00." This renders me unable to go to specific parts of the podcast, nor does the ipod remember my playback position. This is super frustrating as one of the major reasons I purchased the ipod touch was so I could download podcasts directly.

Pachimari

Alright, I am restoring the iPhone in iTunes on the Mac Mini - may end well then. =)

Edit:
Hmm... iTunes says the "iPhone could not be restored, unknown error (1611).

=/

Edit 2:
This is weird! I can restore and activate the iPhone on my Windows netbook but not on my Mac Mini... frustrating now. =(

r4z4

Just noticed the birthdays calendar bug on my 3GS after upgrading to OS4 -_- I have my Google calendar synced with my phone and activating the iPhone birthdays calendar pushes all birthdays in the calendar out by a day and even clears some other calendar items! I have disabled it now as I use the Google birthday calendar instead.

Between this and Sarafi crashing all the time I wish I am tempted to try and go back to the previous firmware, is this possible?

Edit - Also it seems as if battery life is worse now (could just be me) and Drop7 is no longer working (although I hear a fix is in the works)

thetechkid

So I'm upgrading my main computer to Windows 7 finally and I got a question, is there anyway to backup the ipod or itunes stuff so that I don't have to readd all of my music to my ipod again? I mean I already have all of the music back up but adding each song over again would be a pain so I would like to find a quicker solution. Any suggestions?

border

My friend is getting an iPhone 4 and had agreed to let me inherit his 3G. I begged him not to upgrade the OS since apparently you cannot unlock the phone when it is running on IOS 4. Well, he said he left the phone plugged in to iTunes overnight and it automatically updated. Is there a way to roll back to the previous version (IOS3)?

border said:
My friend is getting an iPhone 4 and had agreed to let me inherit his 3G. I begged him not to upgrade the OS since apparently you cannot unlock the phone when it is running on IOS 4. Well, he said he left the phone plugged in to iTunes overnight and it automatically updated. Is there a way to roll back to the previous version (IOS3)?

I'm 99% sure you can unlock 3g.

ultron87

So did they seriously add a screen rotation lock in OS4 that only locks it into portrait mode? Or am I just doing it wrong somehow?

numble

thetechkid said:
So I'm upgrading my main computer to Windows 7 finally and I got a question, is there anyway to backup the ipod or itunes stuff so that I don't have to readd all of my music to my ipod again? I mean I already have all of the music back up but adding each song over again would be a pain so I would like to find a quicker solution. Any suggestions?
I've heard you can just copy the "library" icon or something like that. I've never tried it though...

ultron87

the_painted_bird said:
Pretty sure it only locks in Portrait.

I honestly can't fathom why you would take the time to add an orientation lock for one direction and then think "Should this be for any possible orientation? Nope."

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
ultron87 said:
I honestly can't fathom why you would take the time to add an orientation lock for one direction and then think "Should this be for any possible orientation? Nope."
The only reason why I think apple did that is because every apple app and a majority of apps from the app store have a portrait mode more so than a landscape mode. Even then, Apple still boggles my mind.

ultron87

Foob said:
There's no need for a landscape lock...I can't think of anytime you would ever have to use that

If you are laying down there are a number of possibilities for why a landscape lock would be a good and useful thing to have.

SmokyDave

Foob said:
There's no need for a landscape lock...I can't think of anytime you would ever have to use that
I can. Lying in bed or lying on the sofa.

In fact, if I could only lock it one way, I'd choose landscape.

Foob

ultron87 said:
If you are laying down there are a number of possibilities for why a landscape lock would be a good and useful thing to have.

Just hold the phone in landscape? You roll around while using your phone or something?

ultron87

Foob said:
Just hold the phone in landscape? You roll around while using your phone or something?

Well my personal reason is that I have a contraption like this:

41BK5BeTziL._SS400_.jpg

If I put a video on there it is nice if it can stay in landscape so that it doesn't shrink down to tiny as it goes to portrait but maintains the aspect ratio.

But even without speakers I should be able to hold the iPod pretty much anyway I want in any posture I want and still be able to have the screen in the orientation I want it.

The fact that they added a screen lock, but only made it work in one orientation is absolutely baffling.

SmokyDave

Foob said:
Try lying down on a sofa whilst propping yourself up with one arm and playing a game in landscape.

Frustrating, isn't it.

Tiffany_Lounging_on_Sofa.jpg

"Hi there, I'm Tiffany Foundongoogle and I'm here to tell you, Landscape Lock is the future!"

Foob

Oh, okay, that makes sense

I guess I just didn't realize there were people who wanted it to use landscape in the portrait form

border

bdizzle said:
I'm 99% sure you can unlock 3g.

Can someone confirm this? You can still unlock a 3G phone even with IOS4?

Just looking through some of the posts here, I'm not even sure I want IOS4 on it even if you can unlock. It sounds like the hardware is choking on all the overhead in the new operating system.

Mairu

border said:
Can someone confirm this? You can still unlock a 3G phone even with IOS4?

Just looking through some of the posts here, I'm not even sure I want IOS4 on it even if you can unlock. It sounds like the hardware is choking on all the overhead in the new operating system.
http://www.iphoneheat.com/2010/06/ultrasn0w-0-93-unlock-iphone-3gs-3g/

You can unlock the 3g on ios4. Before I got my 4 I upgraded my 3G to ios4 and didn't really have any problems with it

Somebody please help! Every time I sync my iphone to my computer, it loads all my yahoo email contacts onto my phone's contact list as seperate entries. I have to remove them by hand and they just come back everytime I sync up. Anyone know how to prevent this from happening when I sync up?

EktorPR

Being the minimalist, OCD daddy-fucker I am, I feel quite happy with what I've done RE my Home Screen & accompanying "folder screens" (I refuse to put a folder in my Home/Main screen):

2ur9l08.png

2ebsghe.png

n706qr.png

EktorPR said:
Being the minimalist, OCD daddy-fucker I am, I feel quite happy with what I've done RE my Home Screen & accompanying "folder screens" (I refuse to put a folder in my Home/Main screen):

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ur9l08.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2ebsghe.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/n706qr.png[IMG][/QUOTE]Daddy-fucker or not. That's effing genius, man. May end up stealing it. Although, I'm not sure how I'd jive with an extra tap.

I bought the iPhone Pulse News app based on the praise the iPad version has received. Can't say I like it very much. The app is gimped, you can't add in URLs, just the suggested feeds. Not all of my Google Reader feeds show up correctly or show the wrong feed. I can't star or select more than one story as read at a time. This app is nowhere near as nice as Reeder. For a RSS app, I expected a lot more, not just some shiny UI.

Wish I hadn't wasted my $2.99 on it. Is the iPad version comparable to Reeder?

SmokyDave

EktorPR said:

Yeah!

This is how I have mine (right down to 3 icons on the dock). The only difference is that all my folders are together on page 2 rather than split across 2 pages. I too refuse to have folders on my home screen. Looks soooo good.

LCfiner

kitchenmotors said:
I bought the iPhone Pulse News app based on the praise the iPad version has received. Can't say I like it very much. The app is gimped, you can't add in URLs, just the suggested feeds. Not all of my Google Reader feeds show up correctly or show the wrong feed. I can't star or select more than one story as read at a time. This app is nowhere near as nice as Reeder. For a RSS app, I expected a lot more, not just some shiny UI.

Wish I hadn't wasted my $2.99 on it. Is the iPad version comparable to Reeder?

No. it's just like the iPhone version but better formatted for the large screen. Pulse is better suited for those who don't need syncing and browse relatively few feeds. It's fine for that on the iPad but it's not something I would use on a daily basis. I need syncing with google plus super fast downloads. reeder does that very well.

EktorPR said:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ur9l08.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2ebsghe.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/n706qr.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I love your background. Could I get a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom