• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Quick

Banned
t4KKhX2.png

Welcome to the new iOS Apps thread. Listed below are apps that have been deemed some of the best iOS has to offer to users. The list isn't definitive, as new apps are added to the App Store daily, and those new apps may unseat some of these existing ones. Some of the reviews have been taken directly from the Best of iOS thread because Gaaraz seems to have said some of them best.

1uVy0Ou.png

Camera+ | iPhone ($0.99) and iPad ($2.99)
The only camera app that can be a true replacement to iOS's default camera app. A solid choice for those looking for more control over their iPhone photography.

Snapseed | Universal (Free)
Absolutely packed with effects and features, accessed by a superb touch interface with intuitive gestures.

Instagram | iPhone (Free)
Popular photo sharing app for photographers, wanna-be or otherwise. Share your photos with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Flickr, and Email services with a simple tap at each respective service. Also included is a photo map, allowing you to tell people where a photo was taken. Not a new feature for many apps, but certainly helpful for curiosity's sake.

Hipstamatic | iPhone ($1.99)
The predecessor to Instagram. Offers the same features as Instagram - filters, photo sharing, viewing others' photos.

VSCO Cam | iPhone (Free)
VSCO Cam™ is the tool of choice for creating beautiful mobile imagery.

KitCam | iPhone ($1.99)
KitCam is a virtual camera kit that contains an amazing assortment of lenses, films, and frames, which can be used to create incredible effects and turn your photos and videos into stunning works of art. All camera attachments are previewed live and are always reflected in full resolution outputs.

Pixlr-o-matic | Universal (Free)
This fun and simple darkroom app makes it easy to add an effect, overlay and border to get that retro, grunge, clean or stylish look, all in just three simple steps. And with more options than any other photo app, you will never be out of new styles.

Darkroom | iPhone (Free)
Darkroom is a quick, powerful photo editor that gives you creative control over your photos. Create the look you want with simple editing tools and create your own filters.

No Crop | iPhone (Free)
An app that lets you post uncropped versions of your photos and videos on Instagram or social media of choice.

Layout from Instagram | iPhone (Free)
Instagram's own layout app allows for fun and creative ways to assemble photos.

Hyperlapse from Instagram | Universal (Free)
Create amazing time lapse videos with Hyperlapse. Using Instagram's in-house stabilisation, Hyperlapse shoots polished time lapse videos that were previously impossible without bulky tripods and expensive equipment.

fn6M306.png

Tweetbot | iPhone ($2.99) and iPad ($2.99)
The best Twitter app available right now. The prices and having to separately purchase both versions may be a deterrent, but a fully-realized app is rare to find. Behind an amazing user interface are rich features that makes this a must-have app for heavy Twitter users. Multiple accounts-friendly.

Twitter | Universal (Free)
The official app is really the best for the average user. It's the full Twitter experience in a mobile format for the most part. You have your suggested users, an area that gathers news based on your preferences, and trends to view. No muss , no fuss.

Twitterific | Universal ($2.99)
Twitterrific is the award-winning, fast and elegant Twitter client that’s easy to understand and a delight to use.

Facebook | Universal (Free)
The official app is the best available (or only available) for Facebook. Post, Like, Comment, Share - it's all in your hands. Having received a substantial update earlier this year, the app has definitely seen huge improvements in performance and some additional features, like automatic photo uploading (optional, of course!), Facebook chat integration, and the new Facebook timeline layout.

Facebook Messenger | iPhone (Free)
An official app specifically for Facebook's own chat service.

Tumblr | iPhone (Free)
GAF's favourite source of GIFs and content, Tumblr has its own official app for users to interact with. Take photos right from the app, manage multiple blogs, view messages and notifications, and even offline support for posting, commenting, likes, replies, and reblogs.

WhatsApp | iPhone ($0.99)
Considered to be the most popular messaging client outside of iMessage, What's App puts users together from various mobile platforms into one central messaging app, fully featured. Send photos, share locations, and chat with multiple users with group chats.

IM+ Pro | Universal ($4.99)
IM+ Pro is great for those who want to put all their chat services together in one app. It supports popular chat services, like Facebook, Skype, and Google Talk, as well as having its own messaging service for free. In addition, there's Twitter integration to check on updates.

imo.im | iPhone (Free)
Free all-in-one messaging client. Compatible with popular messaging services and social networks.

f1lquRh.png

Flipboard | Universal (Free)
A news aggregator app with social network integration. Add your favourite news feeds, personal social network accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, and Instagram among them), and organize them into a magazine-style appearance for easy viewing. Offline support included using Instapaper, Pocket, and Readability. With a Flipboard account, sync feeds between devices.

Pulse News | iPad (Free)
Similar to Flipboard, it brings news and social network accounts into one application to browse through. Offline sync is included, as well, and the ability to save stories with Evernote, Read it Later, and Reader. With a Pulse account, sync feeds between devices.

Reeder | Universal ($2.99)
A very robust, traditional and familiar interface to view your news feeds, packed full of features.

Feedly | Universal (Free)
An elegant and minimalist feed reader with a very intuitive interface, packed full of features and excellent sharing features.

Instapaper | Universal ($3.99)
Save web pages for offline reading. Pages are simplified for easier reading, and social networks. Compatible with many other applications for saving content.

Pocket | Universal (Free)
Similar to Instapaper, the app allows the saving of web pages for offline reading. Content is synced across different devices for easy access. Also compatible with many other applications for saving content.

GoodReader | iPad ($4.99)
Great document reader for the iPad. Reads PDFs, Microsoft Office documents, iWork 08/09 documents, HTML, images, and audio and video.

Newsify | Universal (Free)
Read and share your favorite websites and blogs with an amazing newspaper-like layout.

caHbuaB.png

YouTube | Universal (Free)
The official YouTube app offers complete access to its content on both iPhone and iPad. The best offering for the average user.

McTube Pro | Universal (Free)
McTube is the only 3rd party YouTube app that supports Closed Captioning.

Jasmine | Universal (Free)
Another great YouTube app, with a very simplified user interface with AirPlay support.

AVPlayerHD | iPhone ($2.99) and iPad ($2.99)
Simple video player that supports multile file types, available for both iPhone and iPad separately.

CineXPlayer HD | iPad ($3.99)
Video player that supports multiple file types, with social network features and even a web browser.

TuneIn Radio | Universal ($0.99)
Incredible interface for listening to over 50,000 radio stations around the world. Also has great support for podcasts, lets you control and record audio playback, and dozens of other incredible features.

Pandora | Universal (Free)
Pandora Radio is free personalized radio that only plays music you’ll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs or classical composers and Pandora will create a custom "station" that plays similar music.

Songza | Universal (Free)
Completely free music app. Finds you the right music at the right time, depending on your mood or activity. Includes sharing features to social networks and email.

Spotify | Universal (Free)
Instant access to over 15 million tracks straight from your phone, also allows you to listen offline, and share your playlists. Subscription required.

SoundHound | Universal (Free)
A music recognition service that allows users to identify music currently playing around them. Lyrics are also streamed live as the music plays. SoundHound ∞ is available for $6.99.

Shazam | Universal (Free)
A popular music recognition app, similar to SoundHound. Saves tags for later viewing.

AirVideo | Universal ($2.99)
Allows you to quickly and easily stream pretty much any video format straight to your iPad/iPhone, as well as viewing and sorting options. HD quality over WiFi and 3G.

Track 8 | iPhone ($1.99)
An alternative music player that mimics the appearance of Microsoft's Modern UI.

tbep2Wj.png

Pocket Casts | Universal ($3.99)
Pocket Casts is a powerful Podcast manager for iPhone and iPad.

Downcast | Universal ($1.99)
Download and listen to your favorite podcasts directly from your iOS device without the need to sync with iTunes.

Instacast | Universal ($4.99)
A premium-option podcast app with subscription management, wireless download, and background playing.

Podcasts | Universal (Free)
Apple's own podcast app.

mH4DAk5.png

Comic Zeal | Universal ($4.99)
The best comic reader available. Organize your comics in any way you want in a great-looking interface.

ComicFlow | iPad (Free)
Straight and no nonsense comic reader. Limited organization features (requires WebDAV access).

Comixology | Universal (Free)
The only platform that has Marvel, DC, and The Walking Dead. Purchases can be made in the app itself, or on the web.

Zinio | Universal (Free)
Browse more than 5000 digital magazines from around the world in a newsstand with the largest selection, or read fresh articles daily for free. The best in news, politics, technology, art, style, travel and more, Zinio connects you with the stories that shape history from the magazines that matter to you.

Kindle | Universal (Free)
The Kindle app is optimized for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, giving users the ability to read Kindle books, newspapers, magazines, textbooks and PDFs on a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000 books in the Kindle Store plus hundreds of newspapers and magazines. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across devices (including Kindle), so you can pick up your book where you left off on another device.

Kobo Books | Universal (Free)
With Kobo, you can read on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch anywhere, anytime. Visit Kobo and browse more than 3.2 million free and affordable titles in the Kobo Store, including bestsellers, award winners, new releases, classics, and hidden gems. All your books sync right to the app.

NOOK | Universal (Free)
Access over 3 million books—including 1 million FREE titles—plus magazines, newspapers, comics, and more. Sample NOOK books FREE and try any newspaper or magazine FREE for 14 days.

OverDrive Media Console | Universal (Free)
Read eBooks and listen to audiobooks from your library using OverDrive Media Console on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. More than 22,000 libraries worldwide offer titles via OverDrive.

ni8oip1.png

Dropbox | Universal (Free)
Access your files from anywhere. "Drop" your files in the Dropbox folder, access those files on either iPhone or iPad. Easy.

Google Drive | Universal (Free)
Similar to Dropbox, with document editing options.

SkyDrive | Universal (Free)
Similar to Dropbox and Google Drive, baked into Windows 8 natively for easy access.

yBSFJyP.png

Evernote | Universal (Free)
Evernote is considered to be one of the best note-taking applications available. Organize your notes, access them from any device or computer, and share your notes with others.

Paper | iPad (Free)
Capture your ideas as sketches, diagrams, illustrations, notes or drawings and share them across the web.

Fantastical | iPhone ($1.99)
A newcomer in the Calendar arena for the iPhone, Fantastical is a pretty simple app to use, but offers plenty of options in managing your day. It understands casual language, allowing you to schedule "watch a movie every other Tuesday" without having to clear things up. An OS X version is available for $14.99.

Paprika | iPhone ($4.99) and iPad ($4.99)
A recipe organizer with iCloud support.

Clear | iPhone ($1.99)
A list-keeping app that keeps things simple. Make as much lists as you want with maximum flexibility.

Remember the Milk | Universal (Free)
Take your to-do list anywhere with this feature-packed app; never forget the milk (or anything else) again.

Mint | Universal (Free)
Mint allows you to track, budget and manage your money all in one place, so you can see where you’re spending and where you can save.

Genius Scan | iPhone (Free)
Use the iPhone camera to scan documents and convert to PDF.

Wvvq3kV.png

Chrome | Universal (Free)
A handy browser for Chrome desktop users. Signing into a Google account allows access to bookmarks under the same account from different browsers. Incognito mode is built right in, without having to navigate to iOS Settings menu to enable it.

Google Search | Universal (Free)
Search faster and easier with the latest Search app from Google. Get just the right information at just the right time with Google Now. Search hands­free with enhanced Voice Search.

Mercury | Universal (Free)
Free web browser, with Dropbox support, themes, Wi-Fi file transfer, Firefox bookmark sync, and a private mode.

Wikipanion | iPhone (Free)
Allows offline storage of visited or saved Wikipedia pages, with advanced bookmark management, clean UI and viewing. Upgradeable to Wikipanion Plus for $4.99.

cWI3msH.png

Yelp | Universal (Free)
Find various stores near you, and view community-submitted reviews and comments. Make reservations.

Urbanspoon | iPhone (Free)
Can't decide on what to eat for dinner? Let Urbanspoon choose for you. View and review restaurants, read other community-submitted reviews, as well. Make reservations.

nAbt3rr.png

Google Maps | iPhone (Free)
A veteran in the map game, Google Maps features turn-by turn directions, public transportation options, traffic data, and street view.

Waze | Universal (Free)
A superb free traffic and navigation app, including turn-by-turn directions, text to speech capabilities and many social features such as live community driven traffic information and road reports.

HERE | iPhone (Free)
Nokia's own maps app, featuring turn-by-turn directions, real time traffic information, public transportation maps, and an option to save places.

U83pZzl.png

Movies by Flixter | Universal (Free)
View theatre times from your local theatre, purchase tickets, and read reviews with RottenTomatoes. Set your favourite theatres for easy browsing, and view top box office and upcoming movies lists.

RedLaser | iPhone (Free)
A handy scanner app allowing users to scan barcodes and QR codes for various items. Also allows the creation of QR codes for various things. The Scan (free) app is also an alternative.

Yahoo! Weather | iPhone (Free)
Check the current weather with this simple and beatiful weather app.

AccuWeather | iPhone (Free)
Weather application, complete with social sharing, iCloud support, and calendar integration.

theScore Mobile | Universal (Free)
Keep track of sports scores throughout the different professional leagues, as well as news and updates.

Delivery Status Touch | Universal ($2.99)
Track your packages with almost every popular carriers around the world.

mrkgoo

Great stuff, Quick!

Might I suggest if you were to spice it up a little, you add the little icons. You can even link them. I tend to steal them from Appshopper.com, and in exchange, link to their site (I like using them as a wishlist and sales alerter - they have a great app also):

iNU95T7Q9qDm0.png

Camera+ | iPhone ($0.99) and iPad ($2.99)
The only camera app that can be a true replacement to iOS's default camera app. A solid choice for those looking for more control over their iPhone photography. The Lightbox is where photos are stored, allowing you to first edit the photos before exporting to the Camera Roll, with options to bypass it altogether.

On the editing front, the iPhone version offers editing options similar to the default options, with filters included. The iPad version has enhanced editing features, like freeform photo straightening. Sharing features are included, allowing you to share your photos with Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr. Topping things off is cloud synching - automatically share Lightbox photos between the iPad and iPhone version.

Snapseed | Universal (Free)
Absolutely packed with effects and features, accessed by a superb touch interface with intuitive gestures.

iPhoto | Universal ($4.99)
Apple's own app for photo editing on both iPhone and iPad. Edit photos from the Camera Roll and import into the app. It has extended editing features that Snapseed and Camera+ may not offer for those that really like to have control over their photo editing.

Quick

Banned
Thanks!

I initially had icons to place, but it looked like it would mes with the formatting. I'll see what I can do, though.

Nice OP

Can we still make suggestions?

If so, I suggest the Embark suite of apps for travelling. Yes, that's my my London people's using the tubes too!

Quick

Banned
Yeah, it does mess with formatting. Good job, whatever you choose.

Thanks. Regardless, I'll keep this in mind as I'm making the OS X Apps thread. :p

Nice OP

Can we still make suggestions?

If so, I suggest the Embark suite of apps for travelling. Yes, that's my my London people's using the tubes too!

Definitely. This is the thread for all things apps, and that includes suggestions.

If I get enough apps, I'll add in a Transportation section, and I'll throw in the Embark suite in there.

For my fellow Ontarians, check out the Go Transit app for the iPhone. I recommended it in the other thread, but I figured I'd mention it here, as well. It's nothing amazing, but it's straight and to the point.

Pachimari

Great thread, I'll read up on it!

By the way, you should REALLY add Viber under Social. It's very popular and just works.

Koodo

Banned
Great thread.

I was going to mention Minus, but I see you have it in there unbolded and unlinked. :p

Speaking of minus, has anyone found an easy way of retrieving the direct url of images from the app? The link it provides leads to the minus page of the file rather than the image itself.

Right now, I'm just adding a "i." before minus and ".gif" at the end of the url. That transforms the link into a direct url.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
For anyone interested in music production on their iPads, audiobus is coming out next Monday. It allows routing of audio between different iOS apps. Will be awesome.

awesome list. ill add one:

iTransNYC ($3.99):
my favorite subway/bus transit app. works amazing in NYC and they have versions for several other cities.

Pachimari

Agreed.

Its companion app, FlightBoard, is currently free on the App Store.
Thanks for mentioning this.
Downloading.

Facebook Messenger should be added as well seeing as people without Facebook will be able to use it soon as well.

Splashtop 2 were also recommended by a lot for being great for streaming things and games from your computer to your iOS device.

bob page

awesome list. ill add one:

iTransNYC ($3.99):
my favorite subway/bus transit app. works amazing in NYC and they have versions for several other cities.

EmbarkNYC is better & free, so I'd probably recommend that instead.

For productivity, I'd probably also throw Wunderlist up there.

EmbarkNYC is better & free, so I'd probably recommend that instead.

For productivity, I'd probably also throw Wunderlist up there.

embark is awesome, but i like iTrans a bit better because it gives bus time tables as well. $3.99 might be too steep for just that one advantage however.

Pachimari

Do the makers of Clear have any intention of releasing it for iPad?

EDIT:
Nevermind, it's coming.

GoodReader should also be on the list. It's used by most people who do editing and PDF's.

dwebo

sometime between when I posted the other day about the official youtube app and jasmine the official app now reliably plays hd over wifi on both iphone and ipad while jasmine stubbornly refuses to for some reason. jasmine bug? new google api or restrictions?

so, off to the official app I go, while using safari for the occasional background audio playback

also, I'd try mctube but the name and icon are bad. /silly reason

From what I've used, I think Instacast is the best podcast app out there. I really wish Apple would get their shit together with the official Podcast app though since being able to have podcasts sync between my iPhone and iTunes on my Mac and PC is really nice.

I recommend puush (and the companion desktop app) for syncing screenshots and image URLs across all your devices. Makes it a snap to post images on GAF with my phone that I saved onto my computer.

Also recommend Genius Scan for easy snapping and cropping of things like receipts for personal records. Incredibly useful, and one of my favorite features is being able to combine multiple pictures into a single PDF that you can email yourself.

Waze is without peer as far as GPS and turn-by-turn directions go. Crowd-sourced data is essential for a GPS as far as I'm concerned.

Track 8 is a fantastic, WP7-themed skin for the default music app. Doesn't add anything to the music playing experience in terms of features, but I'd pay anything to get that sexy interface without the actual burden of having to own a Windows phone :p

Finally, Accuweather for weather. Not much to say, just that it's amazing that after all these years, there's still only one good weather app on iOS.

andycapps

Great thread.

For podcasts I can heartily recommend

InstaCast

I see they upped the price significantly though, I bought it at 0.89€ I believe.

This.

Also, Twitterific 5 is absolutely beautiful and works great. Has Tweet Marker capability as well. It's $2.99 right now, normal price will be $5.99. Best looking Twitter client that I've seen. Think if Letterpress had a Twitter client and that's about what it is.

Oppo

I highly recommend Paper for retina iPads, as a fantastic notebooky/sketchy thing. Replaced Penultimate for me.

Pachimari

I highly recommend Paper for retina iPads, as a fantastic notebooky/sketchy thing. Replaced Penultimate for me.
Paper is terrific.

Imgupr (imgur) is great for uploading pictures and sharing them on NeoGAF - also free.

Also, is OP adding any of our suggestions to the list? :)

5amshift

Banned
Alright, GAF.. So I want to keep track of my game collection with my iPhone. So I need something that can arrange my list in alphabetical order automatically.. something like Excel, and available for me to upload to Google Drive/Dropbox.

jts

...hate me...
Ugh I couldn't get the imgur site to work properly. I don't know where to get the embedded code. I'll try it again.
Yeah, I also find it bad, can't copy the code.

Usually I just end up copying the URL, adding the "i." before "imgur.com" and the .jpg extension.

jts

...hate me...
For remote desktop / controlling computer stuff I just use splashtop. Bit more battery intensive of course, but full control and all that. Incredibly useful for my mini server.

And I guess by now everyone knows Plex. Incredible to watch your movies and TV shows collection, but you need server-side stuff as well. And now there's a paid feature for syncing (local storage) with iOS devices.

Speaking of TV shows. iTV shows. Amazing interface, keep track of your favourite TV shows, mark favorites, mark the episodes you've watched, get push notifications for new episodes, etc.

mrkgoo

What are some good newsstand apps?

I don't really want to read them as such, but that damned icon looks so sparse it's sad.

I have a few issues of EDGE, which I actually do enjoy. I want to get MacWorld, but sadly that's iPad only.

While I'm here, what's the difference between a 1 month subscription and just buying an issue? Do you lose the issue in the subscription? Or is it cheaper because you don't have a choice of the issue? I don't get why it's cheaper for 1 month subscription than to just get that issue.

Top Bottom