• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Anilones

Still, $9 is a bargain. I paid what for the SFC cart back in the day....US$80ish?

I bet everyone who thought S-E was mad for not embracing 99 cent games is eating their words now.

I wasn't criticizing the price, I was just curious as to whether there was a reason behind it.

killercow

It's a pity, because I like the story (so far). Gonna have to wait until I get home from my business trip and just double-dip on another platform.
Yeah that's why I only play Telltale games on PC, they are terrible at optimizing it anywhere. The framerate can be horrible even on consoles so...

Think this is the best: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HGXD2VC/A/steelseries-stratus-xl-wireless-gaming-controller

I might just be buying one for myself for Christmas.

This site is good too. http://afterpad.com/ Edit: Nvm, it's outdated.

I hadn't heard about the HORIPAD til just now. Hmm... looks nice: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEPE5S8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have the stratus XL and it's amazing but it seems like a lot of users are having problems with it. Afterpad is just slightly outdated but by far the best website for anything related to MFi controllers.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
OP updated, do we have any Dragonfall port impressions?

Loved Game of Thrones by the way, didn't have any heating issues on the iPhone 6 thankfully, also got it on PS4 (heh). They captured the spirit of the TV show really well I thought, brutal.

Matt Frost

Let's keep in mind also, this is a person who gave Candy Crush 5 stars-The highest possible rating one could give a game.

-Speaking about eli hoddap, editor for toucharcade.com- Dont forget TA also gave Bitcoin Billonaire -the game South Park unintentionally made fun of- 5 stars too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can we tone down the endless TA bashing in this thread? It's a recurring theme every month we can very well do without.

Matt Frost

Can we tone down the endless TA bashing in this thread? It's a recurring theme every month we can very well do without.

Ok I will. Sorry for that. Is just that TA could be the greatest place to fight this freemium shenanigans but instead that dude embrace freemium. And being the long time premium gamer that I am it makes me really sad to see that dude at the helm. End of my rant. Sorry again Tunesmith, wont happen again.

colinp

Banned

Agreed.

I grabbed DQ3 and oh my goodness it runs sooooooooooo much better than 1. Haven't digged into it particularly deeply yet, but loving the music.

Inkle's 80 Days is finally releasing on Android this month, the 16th, with new content (an arctic route). The new content will also be coming to IOS

Corgi

Banned
I feel like things need to stop being ipad only now that phones are getting bigger, especially games that were ported that already have 16:9 interface.

If only I can somehow transfer some of my 64gb iphone memory to my 16gb ipad mini 2 :(

my dream would be for there to be more remote play options for ios, something like what nvidia's shield does or what the vita does with ps4 games, only with an affordable quality controller that props up my 6+. That screen is perfect for taking the console experience on the road. The vita's feels too cramped in comparison

Matt Frost

Inkle's 80 Days is finally releasing on Android this month, the 16th, with new content (an arctic route). The new content will also be coming to iOS

80 Days is fantastic. I finished it pretty quickly and deleted it without realizing I could explore the world around. Installed again, probably will end up on my GOTY list.

wihio

OP updated, do we have any Dragonfall port impressions?

Loved Game of Thrones by the way, didn't have any heating issues on the iPhone 6 thankfully, also got it on PS4 (heh). They captured the spirit of the TV show really well I thought, brutal.

I have been enjoying it on my 6 as well, but definitely noticed some heat. Saw a Twitter post where John Carmack joked about making an app that would just max processors to warm hands in the winter. I immediately thought of this while playing GoT.

Winter is coming... (It's already here). Thanks for the hand warmer!

Hoggy110

Neo Member
I picked up Out There back in the Thanksgiving Sales and I've been playing it a bit this past week because I wanted to have played it before I finalise my favourite games of this year, and I'm struggling to conclude whether it's better than FTL, the other way round, or their on the same level.

They are both high quality games and they have quite a bit of depth to it, but...I don't know. Out There is working really well for me in an enjoyment sense in comparison to FTL because of its shorter round times and more of a focus on exploration in comparison to FTL's real-time strategy-esque combat, which is a genre that I haven't had much success picking up and really getting into it when I play it. I'd rather sit down and play a game of Out There in comparison to FTL, if I'd be honest.
But I really can't deny the quality of FTL. The combat does get really deep with the different weapons, aliens, room and so on. It has a greater level of customisation than in Out There. The constant pressure from the Rebels closing in behind you feels like it has a greater effect on you than a dwindling fuel/oxygen/hull health bar.

I don't know...I think we can call this a good year for space-based roguelikes on iOS

JCho133

think this was discussed before, don't see it mention any sort of clip though which is what i'm after.

Doesnt' seem like hori's one has that either.

It's pretty insane. iphone 6+ with a controller makes perfect sense... or maybe it doesnt? no clue.

I've heard that the Mad Catz CTRLi MICRO is the best. It has a fold up clip too.

The big version of it apparently is of poor build quality and the clip doesn't fold up, it's a screw on.

I'm thinking about getting the Micro soon

JCho133

Btw, I read through a bunch of that Eli and Republiqué stuff last night. F*cking psychotic.

Haha, I saw a post from Heringer in the thread too, thought that was cool.

JCho133

oracrest

(Sorry if this has already been posted, my phone was loading really slow when browsing)

A friend told me about this game last night, and I have been really liking it so far.

Basically you're the captain of a spaceship that was torn up by a meteor. The crew is doomed, but dying together is better than alone. So you must round up your crew, and then all jump into the sun together.

Sunburn - Apple Store

http://www.playsunburn.com/

Video

tumblr_nf97kkFRCW1sthkjjo1_400.gif

tumblr_nevzyv2yJu1sthkjjo3_500.gif

JCho133

(Sorry if this has already been posted, my phone was loading really slow when browsing)

A friend told me about this game last night, and I have been really liking it so far.

Basically you're the captain of a spaceship that was torn up by a meteor. The crew is doomed, but dying together is better than alone. So you must round up your crew, and then all jump into the sun together.

Sunburn - Apple Store

http://www.playsunburn.com/

Video

tumblr_nf97kkFRCW1sthkjjo1_400.gif

tumblr_nevzyv2yJu1sthkjjo3_500.gif

Yeah, it's an absolutely fantastic game. We talked about it a bit in the November thread

PFD

GoT really heats up my Air 2. So much that I feel like I'm gonna hurt it.

It's weird. The graphics are on par, if not worse than The Wold Among Us, but the game runs much slower on my iPad Air. It's almost like Telltale simply tests their games on the fastest device available and calls it a day.

As for the game itself, I love what I've seen so far

Wthermans

Banned
think this was discussed before, don't see it mention any sort of clip though which is what i'm after.

Doesnt' seem like hori's one has that either.

It's pretty insane. iphone 6+ with a controller makes perfect sense... or maybe it doesnt? no clue.
The MOGA is the best with a clip. Steelseries XL without.

killercow

Anyone here actually used one of these?

Is there a game list that supports them?

I've got the stratus XL and it works flawlessly, the build quality is quite impressive too. Although some users do report a weird lag and some problems with them. For a list of MFi compatible games look on Afterpad.com.

putermcgee

Man, I am really excited for Seabeard next week! I just hope the developer sees the negative reactions that games like Godus received and keeps the freemium stuff at a decent level. I don't mind F2P at all as long as the balance is reasonable (a balance that's highly subjective, I know).

I got Pixel Boat Rush, and while I think it's fun, and hope it keeps getting better as I get new, faster boats, it's not the game I expected from the videos I saw of it. Maybe it's got something to do with how the braking works and is required when going over waves, but it's taking me a lot of concentration to work the controls correctly. Also, I wish the brakes could be switched with the weapon button because I feel like I'm covering up oncoming waves with my right thumb.

If anyone's into geography, Worldly (iTunes) is pretty cool. I wish they had a capital cities, states, or major cities mode that was limited to the US, Canada, Japan, or other countries instead of continents, but it's a good trivial game that will boost your knowledge of the globe.

Pair Solitaire is still fun for me, though I think I'm just bad at it because I rarely beat an older high score, and that score isn't even very good. I got a friend into the game, and he was beating my scores without any trouble. I'm dumb, probably.

And finally, I got to the first reset point in Bitcoin Billionaire recently, and am just working on reaching 50 of each investment, and upgrading them all to level 5. Whatever is messing up games with Vungle ads is slowing my progress greatly as I can't take advantage of half of the offers that come in. Tiny Tower Vegas is the same story, and my progress in that has slowed so much that I'm only able to build a new floor maybe once a week.

Got Valiant Hearts earlier and I totally see why it won Best Narrative in The Game Awards. So good, you guys. A 2014 must play. I'll post longer impressions later

Matt Frost

Proun+ is quite I expected it to be: different from Impossible Road and Unpossible. More like a racer. Good game. Can coexist with IR.

Okay, good! Glad to see it getting some exposure. I missed a bit of last months thread.

The game is damn good and an showcase of indie love, but when you approach the later levels is goes from fun and good to plain frustrating (PocketGamer nailed it in their review). But even with that is probably still appearing on my GOTY list.

Flunkie

Banned
Why didn't anyone tell me how bad the graphics were in XCOM? I played the PC vet when it first came out and this is so muddy compared to it. Disappointed totally.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Man, I am really excited for Seabeard next week! I just hope the developer sees the negative reactions that games like Godus received and keeps the freemium stuff at a decent level. I don't mind F2P at all as long as the balance is reasonable (a balance that's highly subjective, I know).

Seabeard's softlaunch F2P balance got atrocious after a little while, I stopped playing it completely at that point. Really hope it's been tweaked for global launch because I really liked the mechanics it has apart from that.

Flunkie

Banned
Seabeard's softlaunch F2P balance got atrocious after a little while, I stopped playing it completely at that point. Really hope it's been tweaked for global launch because I really liked the mechanics it has apart from that.
Can't be worse than Castaway Paradise!

Cormano

JCho133

Pretty sure the currency is still grindy as hell as well as crafting materials, but now you can travel an unlimited amount of times at least. The energy system is now only for the minigames

JCho133

Why didn't anyone tell me how bad the graphics were in XCOM? I played the PC vet when it first came out and this is so muddy compared to it. Disappointed totally.

Because it's a modern day triple A Unreal powered PC game running on a mobile device. Looks more than fine to me, though obviously not PC level. What device do you use? I wonder if the graphical quality scales to the device, though I doubt it.

Also there's the fact that it's an isometric TBS where 85% of the game is played from a birds eye view

Flunkie

Banned
Because it's a modern day triple A Unreal powered PC game running on a mobile device. Looks more than fine to me, though obviously not PC level. What device do you use? I wonder if the graphical quality scales to the device, though I doubt it.

Also there's the fact that it's an isometric TBS where 85% of the game is played from a birds eye view

iPad Air 2, that's why my expectations were high.

Top Bottom