• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone else playing Peggle Blast? I've been wary of seeing one of my favorite series with F2P hooks, but had to give it a shot. I'm just on the first set of levels so I haven't hit 'The Wall' yet, but the touch controls are smoothethan Peggle Classic. Pretty addictive so far, but when it comes to Peggle I'm easy to please.

Matt Frost

I've heard a lot of praise for origins as the best in the series.

I really can't see it. Granted it is 95% the same as the other games... and they were good, so you can't go too far wrong.

But I found it pretty uninspired, especially in terms of enemy design. Sure the interactive level bits were nice, but everything else was just so by the numbers. Maybe as you said it was the lack of difficulty with a couple of really OP towers this time.

I thought the last effort was a little more balanced and creative.

When I say that is the best game in the series is because it is the same thing but improved in a lot of aspects that add little changes everywhere to the gameplay itself, making it the best one yet. Both this one and Frontiers cant be considered a "true sequel" (with proper new mechanics), they are the same game but improved step by step after all, for fans is great. Its more micro managing than ever, the IAP heroes are totally optional this time around, the new ways for enemies to come at you are interesting, the new towers are OP (specially the flaming tree and the long range archer that can kill with one shot), the hero new power... but they still are the same things (towers and units) from the past games and its really easier than ever too. I still wish for an overhaul and for Iron Hide Games to have the guts to not play safe with their next KR game and make a true sequel, sort of was between the first and the second one, sort off)

Ironically I now see "Community" as NeoGAF, so I've got used to the move. I'm not really sure what Gaming is supposed to be now.

I see it this way too. We have become a community on this thread with regular posters and all sorts of discussions, and while we post a lot about new games coming out is more about a discussion about iOS games, accessories, tech, new iPhones and iPads, and all sorts of stuff in general and I think we are in the right place. Is not like in gaming where there are one thread for each new game or important news out there. This thread is the place to talk about iOS more than flashy new things. I am becoming redundant saying the same thing over and over in this post (both sentences) but I think that is the mods train of thought (I wish they could correct me if I am wrong).

awp69

Been looking at Proun+ for a while and was about to ask about it... I will like it even if I didnt like Unpossible?

The core mechanics are very much like Unpossible so I'd have to say no. If it's the difficulty of Unpossible that you didn't like, then you may like this better because of it being race oriented with finite stages that you will finish regardless of how many times you screw up. Of course, you eventually have to do somewhat well to progress.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Maze Runner got a substantial visual upgrade, all menus look different, new animations while entering and getting out of the maze, some added story blurbs etc. Another new runner (Ben), and there's a time attack now too with FB integration. And the most important added feature imo: you can now skip the use gem(s) to revive bar when you die (I actually got used to the short wait but I'm glad that's there now). It's all cool, I got excited thinking it was the new levels when I saw the update though. :p

This reminded me of FTL. Then i started getting sad because the developers are have no interest in making the iPAD version of FTL playable for iphone 6 plus users.

As a guy that let his iPad mini go in favor of an iPhone 6 Plus, FTL is the ONLY thing that i miss. Out There is okay, though...

Yeah, I think FTL is the far better game, but for this time I am playing Out There I am enjoying it.

I do wish it was ported to the 6 and 6 plus. I am not sure there are any iPad only games that shouldn't be compatible with the 6 and 6 plus.

Is there any way to find out if a game will work on an older ipod? I've been loading up my ancient iphone 3gs for my daughter and most games don't work. I expected that but it would be nice if there was a way to sort by games that will.

Matt Frost

Kumobius is one of the greatest devs ever on iOS, looking forward to this Bean Dreams since they say is the culmination of their experience making games.

The core mechanics are very much like Unpossible so I'd have to say no. If it's the difficulty of Unpossible that you didn't like, then you may like this better because of it being race oriented with finite stages that you will finish regardless of how many times you screw up. Of course, you eventually have to do somewhat well to progress.

I didnt like Unpossible because Impossible Road owns it, and being first person didnt help much, was ok but nothing special. In fact I am looking for something different from Unpossible or Impossible Road so Proun+ looks like it.

pdk27

Anyone else playing Peggle Blast? I've been wary of seeing one of my favorite series with F2P hooks, but had to give it a shot. I'm just on the first set of levels so I haven't hit 'The Wall' yet, but the touch controls are smoothethan Peggle Classic. Pretty addictive so far, but when it comes to Peggle I'm easy to please.

I started playing it yesterday as well. Haven't hit "the wall" yet either. So far it's fine. I just hope EA doesn't do what they did to PvZ 2 where they modify it to try and make more money.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Last level of GOTG: The Universal Weapon is apparently impossible. I still feel like doing some rounds in the arena and tinkering a bit with equipment and team formations to see if something works, but if it continues to be unreasonable I'm not sure if I'll keep bothering.

Has anyone played Star Nomad? The game was F2P for a while with IAPs, but the developer recently re-released it (with HD textures and iOS 8 exclusivity) as a premium app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id943377727

Seems like a really interesting game which the developer describes as taking concepts from great games like Elite, Wing Commander Privateer, Escape Velocity and Freelancer.

I think I will buy it just to support the idea of moving away from freemium and towards the much, much better world of premium. This type of thing needs to happen more often to get us out of the free (or GET) future of iOS gaming.

Anybody have any experience with either the old version or this new one?

Edit: Oh, it's also apparently available on Desura and was recently greenlit for Steam.

PittaGAF

BTW...I left much more impressions on the Digital boardgames thread, but I'm really liking The Witcher Adventure Game so far.

A nice blend between Elder Sign and Talisman (my two fav solo boardgame on iOS...Witcher can easily be the third), superslick app (MUCH better than last beta I tried on Mac...graphics is gorgeous).

If they add async (and...let me dream...Universal build) it would never leave my device.

killercow

Any thoughts? The only Tomb Raider I've played is the new one

You've never played any of the old Tomb Raiders at all? It's quite terrible by modern day standings so if you do not have any memories of you playing it as a kid (the nostalgia factor) I'm not sure you'll enjoy them.

The best way to experience the first Tomb Raiders is to play Tomb Raider Anniversary on consoles or PC imho.

Matt Frost

What Killercow said...

You've never played any of the old Tomb Raiders at all? It's quite terrible by modern day standings so if you do not have any memories of you playing it as a kid (the nostalgia factor) I'm not sure you'll enjoy them.

The best way to experience the first Tomb Raiders is to play Tomb Raider Anniversary on consoles or PC imho.

This isn't about iOS gaming specifically but it is iOS related. My iPAD has maybe 3 or so gigs of apps installed on it. 16gb ipad. Yet I only have 1.2gb remaining for storage. When I check on itunes a whopping 10gb is taken by a nondescript 'Other' category. What the fuck is that about?

JCho133

But really, that Simogo picture is interesting. And the fact that it's a castle like structure made me think of Device 6.

Edit: Nvm.... Those are houses and a strange pillar/hill/peak structure. The font makes me think fantasy

OH MY GOD YES!

I nearly bought TR1 the other day, but always had way, way more fun with TR2 than any other TR game. I don't care if the controls are god awful, insta-buy for me.
Could you post some impressions of the touch controls when you get a chance?

JCho133

What's the consensus on Republique? I enjoyed the first episode, was wondering how the others have been.

Me likey.

It has its niggles, but you really won't find anything like it on iOS.

Like seriously, a dystopian sci-fi stealth game? How could it be bad?

I also got the season pass for 99c, so that was nice.

I really dig the game's atmosphere especially.

Matt Frost

This isn't about iOS gaming specifically but it is iOS related. My iPAD has maybe 3 or so gigs of apps installed on it. 16gb ipad. Yet I only have 1.2gb remaining for storage. When I check on itunes a whopping 10gb is taken by a nondescript 'Other' category. What the fuck is that about?

Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter etc are apps that grow over time each time you log into them so they start small and a few months or years later they take quite the space, check those up, those kind of app are probably the reason and everything they download goes into "other".

okno

Could you post some impressions of the touch controls when you get a chance?

I've been dicking around with it a bit and the controls work. They definitely take some getting used to, but I think that was also just from me trying to play the game like a modern game (dragging my second thumb in the middle of the screen to look around, which doesn't work, things like that), but once I got my head back into "It's 1998" mode, things worked better. Not perfectly, but better. Doing the more acrobatic maneuvers is easy to pull off, but tricky to aim correctly. Honestly, I feel like it controls basically the exact same as it did when I played it on PC all those years ago. The controls were never intuitive and were always a constant struggle, so I suppose these aren't too far off. Combat isn't so bad. There is an auto-lock function, so you just have to run around and wail on the shoot button, largely.

If you have fond memories of the game and want to play muh-fuggin Tomb Raider 2 on your for phone for a 20-oz bottle of Coke (THAT'S TWO MEASLY AMERICAN DOLLARS), don't hesitate. It looks really sharp, too, and the sound is excellent.

It's a real nostalgia trip for me. The game even has all of the weird clipping issues when you go under water (corners will flicker blue, your arms disappear along walls, etc). I'm loving it. Can't wait to reach Venice <3

How's Baldur's Gate 2 on ipad? Always wanted to play this game, as I dig Bioware RPGs.

Does it run well? Graphics and interface work okay? Is it better than the 'remastered' version of BG1?

It doesn't really hold up control wise (let alone on a touch device)...but on the other hand the level design is amazing.

If you are a fan of "swimming" in video games at all, Tomb Raider 2 is a pretty amazing game.

Flunkie

Banned
It's really saying something when I say I'm tired of F2P games, as you all know, but...

I'm tired of F2P games and their bullshit. Peggle Blast would be fun as hell as it has some new ideas in the gameplay but the energy bullshit just pisses me the fuck off so bad. It's the last straw for me.

It's really saying something when I say I'm tired of F2P games, as you all know, but...

I'm tired of F2P games and their bullshit. Peggle Blast would be fun as hell as it has some new ideas in the gameplay but the energy bullshit just pisses me the fuck off so bad. It's the last straw for me.
Want a list of good premium games to check out? What genres do you enjoy?

Flunkie

Banned
Want a list of good premium games to check out? What genres do you enjoy?
Lol. It's not like I'm blind to premium games. It's just a matter of which to play.

jVswgzJ.jpg

PFD

I didnt like Unpossible because Impossible Road owns it, and being first person didnt help much, was ok but nothing special. In fact I am looking for something different from Unpossible or Impossible Road so Proun+ looks like it.

Impossible Road and Unpossible share very little in common. I don't see how IR 'owns' Unpossible

Yeah, I think FTL is the far better game, but for this time I am playing Out There I am enjoying it.

Well they're very different games. One is all about exploration and mystery, and the other is all about frantic ship to ship combat.

Is the Game of Thrones game coming out tonight? And what about Tales from the Borderlands?

killercow

Impossible Road and Unpossible share very little in common. I don't see how IR 'owns' Unpossible

Well they're very different games. One is all about exploration and mystery, and the other is all about frantic ship to ship combat.

Is the Game of Thrones game coming out tonight? And what about Tales from the Borderlands?

GoT is coming tomorrow, should be up soonish. Tales is coming soon, probably before the end of the year.

Both are good!

Update on Sorcery 3
Of course, if you've been following our work since before 80 DAYS came out, you're probably wondering about what's happened to Sorcery! 3. Originally slated for April it's now so-late-it-isn't-funny, but the good news is we're almost there. The content has hit alpha and the crazy new gameplay features are dropping into place. Mike Schley is back to produce some more maps for the game. And we've brought on board Laurence Chapman, composer on 80 DAYS, to write us a new stirring theme.

This one is big, complicated and different, and we think will up the ante on the kind of gameplay a text-driven choice-based game can achieve.

JCho133

Holy shit.... Gamecenter says Phantom Rift has only 164 players.... Maybe that's just for the sorta survival mode

Top Bottom