• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming December 2016 | It's app-me, Mario

okno

Dragon Auest VIII has dropped in price from $159 > $119.

[edit] Eh, all of these awards at Touch Arcade made me buy Crashlands.

That's... still not worth it. $11.99 for a stuttery mess with jank controls? No thanks. I want DQ8 on my phone so badly, but it's clear that they have no interest in fixing the game.

That's... still not worth it. $11.99 for a stuttery mess with jank controls? No thanks. I want DQ8 on my phone so badly, but it's clear that they have no interest in fixing the game.

Even on iPhone 6 and later? I thoguht the problems were on iPhone 5s and below.

It is the only DQ I don;'t have on my phone and I'm buying it on 3DS next month anyway. Would still prefer playing it on my phone.

Is DQIV any good on iPhone? The price hasn't dropped significantly (£10.99 to £7.99) so not sure whether to grab it or just give it a miss.

awp69

Want to perk up those holiday blues? This War of Mine is on sale for $2.99. Certainly will lift those spirits right away!

(Or maybe make you suicidal).

You ain't seen nothing yet. Sorcery 3 has an even bigger scope and Sorcery 4 has even more elements and branching mechanics

Oh boy you're right, Sorcery 3! Is way better than the previous two, the open world and time rift mechanics opens a whole new way of "going on your own adventure"

Oh boy you're right, Sorcery 3! Is way better than the previous two, the open world and time rift mechanics opens a whole new way of "going on your own adventure"
They really thought of everything. Like
if you have a town that's half in the past, half in the present, there will be text reflecting that while you're over there

The game is insanely malleable.

Oynox

After all the GOTY praise from TA Crashlands is down for the first time to $1.99. Maybe I pick it up again..

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just got Dungeon Warfare

soo good - terrific TD game

also finally picked up This War of Mine and the DLC but will wait for a depressing winter storm to play it

Finally downloaded SMR and I'm liking it so far but still hesitant about paying $10. To be honest this just makes me want to download Leap Day again.

Matt Frost

Finally downloaded SMR and I'm liking it so far but still hesitant about paying $10. To be honest this just makes me want to download Leap Day again.

For me, Leap Day is better. My GOTY. Autorunners cant get better than that xD.

And the game has grown so much since its first release, adding tons of traps, background, end of level mazes, unlockable characters, even better level design,... this one is going to be installed forever

Jarsonot

I really hope Isaac has some way to compare your progress with friends. Must... Beat... My... Wife...

wait, I didn't say that

Super Mario Run should have given people 3 levels in different worlds, instead of just the first 3 levels of world 1. As soon as you hit world 2 things get a little more interesting, where those first 3 feel like you're just running left to right until the end. There's levels that scroll vertical and have you running side to side, or vertical ones where you loop from one side of the screed to the other. Multiple doors that could be the way to the rest of the level, floating platforms that Mario stops on so you can time your jumps. Nothing really new to Mario games, or probably runners in general, but more interesting than the basic design of those first 3 levels.

awp69

Super Mario Run should have given people 3 levels in different worlds, instead of just the first 3 levels of world 1. As soon as you hit world 2 things get a little more interesting, where those first 3 feel like you're just running left to right until the end. There's levels that scroll vertical and have you running side to side, or vertical ones where you loop from one side of the screed to the other. Multiple doors that could be the way to the rest of the level, floating platforms that Mario stops on so you can time your jumps. Nothing really new to Mario games, or probably runners in general, but more interesting than the basic design of those first 3 levels.

Yep. I agree with this. Still not my favorite auto-runner or platformer on iOS. But I said this earlier as well. The demo levels are the most basic in the game and if I hadn't already planned on buying it based on Nintendo's track record or if it had been any other game, I don't think I would have based on those levels.

okno

I regret paying the $10 for Super Mario Run, but I won't regret it if they continue to support the game and expand it. The fun of the game wore off after three days, and I stopped with the coin hunts after clearing all of World 1's purple coins. Just isn't the right thing for me. As fun as Toad Rally can be, the desert levels are awful and I can't stand replaying the haunted houses. The haunted houses are, by far, the worst part about the game.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I regret paying the $10 for Super Mario Run, but I won't regret it if they continue to support the game and expand it. The fun of the game wore off after three days, and I stopped with the coin hunts after clearing all of World 1's purple coins. Just isn't the right thing for me. As fun as Toad Rally can be, the desert levels are awful and I can't stand replaying the haunted houses. The haunted houses are, by far, the worst part about the game.

No need to regret.

Apple will let you have a full refund on the purchase whether you request it now, a year, or two years from now, no questions asked.

wanders

Anyone have suggestions on any balanced multiplayer games? Balanced as in it's not pay to win. Looking for something turn based but anything similar to an RPG or CCG would do. Thanks guys!

Jarsonot

Anyone have suggestions on any balanced multiplayer games? Balanced as in it's not pay to win. Looking for something turn based but anything similar to an RPG or CCG would do. Thanks guys!

Ascension and Carcassonne. First is a deck building game, completely fair, second is a tile game that is FANTASTIC

Prototype

Anything on the App Store like Smash TV or Robotron 2084?

Twin stick, old school fun. I've looked a bit for Smash TV with no luck and most of the lists or categories only list the newest or popular games in a given genre.

Thanks in advance for any help

killercow

Anything on the App Store like Smash TV or Robotron 2084?

Twin stick, old school fun. I've looked a bit for Smash TV with no luck and most of the lists or categories only list the newest or popular games in a given genre.

Thanks in advance for any help

Have you looked at Neon Chrome, Leap of Fate or Geometry Wars 3? That last one is a bit different from what you're looking for but they're all top notch twin stick shooters.

Oynox

Wow Crashlands even received the Action GOTY award from pockettactics. I am.really baffled about all the praise. When I played it back then it felt shallow for $5 why I ordered a refund.

awp69

Wow Crashlands even received the Action GOTY award from pockettactics. I am.really baffled about all the praise. When I played it back then it felt shallow for $5 why I ordered a refund.

It was even in Time's list of the 15 Best Video Games of 2016 (although they reference the Steam version, which is still the same as far as I know).

I thought it was good but lost interest and wasn't even an honorable mention for me.

sheaaaa

No need to regret.

Apple will let you have a full refund on the purchase whether you request it now, a year, or two years from now, no questions asked.

I don't think this is true? I tried refunding a game about a month and a half after buying it (it was a CCG, superhero themed, with expansions, also on Steam, name escapes me) and it was turned down. Had never played the game either.

I vaguely recall a month being the time period for a refund but could be completely wrong.

Pachimari

Just bought The Little Ones expansion for This War of Mine, dunno if it is on sale? Anyway, I plan on upgrading my 128gb iPad Pro 9.7 to a 256gb next year, cause if I want most of my games on it, 128 just doesn't cut it anymore. I find myself deleting stuff all the time. And I especially love those ports that takes of 2-4gb each.

I am also greatly enjoying Crashlands so far. I am not that far into it, but I can't see what's not to like. I guess it is the late game that makes it all a grind?

chris121580

It was even in Time's list of the 15 Best Video Games of 2016 (although they reference the Steam version, which is still the same as far as I know).

I thought it was good but lost interest and wasn't even an honorable mention for me.

I tried going back to it yesterday. I had just made it to the second world months ago when I decided to quit. The first world was a blast but after that, it's just repetitive and boring. I would've been fine with just the one world and felt that I got my moneys worth.

Ketch

Pathfinder has a co op pass and play mode. Haven't tried pass and play, but hat game is great.

Voidance

I'm baffled too. I think the story behind the game has something to do with it because the gameplay was nothing great.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'd never heard of Crashlands because I'm apparently out of the loop on everything.

I watched the preview on Steam and it looks kind of neat? Why the hate? Genuinely curious because, without having seen GAF complaints, I would have picked it up pretty quick with the sales on Steam and iOS...But now I'm worried it's not good?

I'm baffled too. I think the story behind the game has something to do with it because the gameplay was nothing great.
Huh? It does what it does vey well: take the survival RPG-lite structure of games like Dont Starve, and make it more arcadey, accessible, and easy, with tons of quality-of-life features and mechanics. The core gameplay was pretty great

Pachimari

I am kind of baffled by the negativity toward Crashlands in here, as I find it legit great. It is a lot of fun to craft and build and defend, and it is oh so beautiful. I will give this one much more time next month to properly judge it.

awp69

I'd never heard of Crashlands because I'm apparently out of the loop on everything.

I watched the preview on Steam and it looks kind of neat? Why the hate? Genuinely curious because, without having seen GAF complaints, I would have picked it up pretty quick with the sales on Steam and iOS...But now I'm worried it's not good?

As I mentioned, I actually enjoyed it -- just not to the extent of it being one of my favorites of the year. I don't like games like Don't Starve because of all the crafting and inventory management stuff. To me, that is just incredibly tedious and dull.

So Crashlands really streamlined all of that (much easier crafting, unlimited inventory, fast travel) and left the fun stuff there.

It was quite enjoyable at first but I began to lose interest in it after a while -- hence why I don't have it in my top games.

That said, it's on sale for $1.99 now so it's a great chance to at least see if it's for you. I think it's a well made game and got me to play a survival type game otherwise wouldn't be playing.

So I ended up buying a few more games on sales

Legend of the Skyfish: Very lovely hand-drawn artstyle, very zelda like but with a fishing rod instead.

Monument Valley: Only played a bit but I sense this game will be something very special and memorable.

Samarost 3: Haven't played it yet

So I ended up buying a few more games on sales

Legend of the Skyfish: Very lovely hand-drawn artstyle, very zelda like but with a fishing rod instead.

Monument Valley: Only played a bit but I sense this game will be something very special and memorable.

Samarost 3: Haven't played it yet
You have chosen well

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Steamworld Heist is legit. About 8 hours into it after having played it over the holidays. Very glad I picked it up.

Top Bottom