• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

Oynox

Minecraft were also just updated to 0.14.0.

The sensitivity in Thumb Drift is insanely high..

You will get used to it. Use settings to lower it, but you will get used to it eventually. When I played the beta for the first time, I did not even make it to 5 meters lol

Pinstripe is likely coming to mobile at some time.

PittaGAF

Curious if they just did this on their own, or if Apple stepped in when they saw the news. I say this assuming a Free App of the Week receives some kind of compensation from Apple? I don't really know how it all works, tbh.

You were actually totally right.
It's the free app of the week in my store, just noticed.
I'm not sure Apple gives anything to Rodeo (I do not know really, but I hope so) but I want to believe your version.

You were actually totally right.
It's the free app of the week in my store, just noticed.
I'm not sure Apple gives anything to Rodeo (I do not know really, but I hope so) but I want to believe your version.
Wasn't there a big shift in management in IOS, that we thought might be beneficial for games in the future? I imagine that Apple would probably like a Unreal Engine-4 licensed title like this, that shows off the power and variety of the platform, from an established mobile developer, to succeed

PittaGAF

Wasn't there a big shift in management in IOS, that we thought might be beneficial for games in the future? I imagine that Apple would probably like a Unreal Engine-4 licensed title like this, that shows off the power and variety of the platform, from an established mobile developer, to succeed

I really hope so.
And I hope this year Apple will step up a bit in the gaming arena....hopeful but not really confident.
They are in the game market by pure chance and they could do a TON of things much better with little effort too, if they just focused on it the bare minimum.

As far as I know Deathwatch was the very first UE4 title in the AppStore (the only one?).

I really hope so.
And I hope this year Apple will step up a bit in the gaming arena....hopeful but not really confident.
They are in the game market by pure chance and they could do a TON of things much better with little effort too, if they just focused on it the bare minimum.

As far as I know Deathwatch was the very first UE4 title in the AppStore (the only one?).
Well technically this was the first UE4 game on the app store but that might be cheating. ;)

nampad

Stellar Wanderer is getting slammed at the two reviews that I could find. Considering mobile game scores are quite inflated, this doesn't bodes well.
Hoped for a good space game to sink my teeth in :(

awp69

Stellar Wanderer is getting slammed at the two reviews that I could find. Considering mobile game scores are quite inflated, this doesn't bodes well.
Hoped for a good space game to sink my teeth in :(

I've played it and it's decent but I think the dev bit off a little more than they could chew. Their first game, Strike Wing, was really good for what it was -- basically a more arcade style space shooter with just a little "story" linking things.

Here they've greatly expanded the scope with voice acting, RPG like elements (including different classes) and an overarching universe.

The problem is that it seems a little too padded and the controls actually aren't as good as Strike Wing IMO.

It's hard to pin point but it just doesn't come together very well.

That said, I'm still having some fun with it as a fan of the genre but it's far from being in the same class as something like Galaxy on Fire 2. And I almost think I like Strike Wing better as a "game" even if it really didn't have much to it.

awp69

Wasn't there some Diablo/Torchlight-like hack n slash RPG coming soon? Name is escaping me.

And it's not Fantasy Mage, which is more like Solomon's Keep, but is pretty crappy after briefly trying on Android.

Not sure but a Torchlight game was announced. Anyway, the genre seems perfect for mobile so I hope a good one turns up soon.

Figured out that it was the port of Titan Quest that I was thinking of, which apparently is getting close to being ready for release.

heringer

Tennis Champs Returns is a surprisingly great tennis game. Controls are difficult at first, but very clever. It's free to try!

Edit: wow, this game is awesome. I'm almost tempted to do create a topic so Gaf knows about it. It starts off weird, but when it clicks... it feels so good. I just found out it was developed by the creator of the original game for Amiga.

awp69

Tennis Champs Returns is a surprisingly great tennis game. Controls are difficult at first, but very clever. It's free to try!

Edit: wow, this game is awesome. I'm almost tempted to do create a topic so Gaf knows about it. It starts off weird, but when it clicks... it feels so good. I just found out it was developed by the creator of the original game for Amiga.

It is really good. Kinda suck still but getting used to the controls. Very fair payment model too.

nampad

I've played it and it's decent but I think the dev bit off a little more than they could chew. Their first game, Strike Wing, was really good for what it was -- basically a more arcade style space shooter with just a little "story" linking things.

Here they've greatly expanded the scope with voice acting, RPG like elements (including different classes) and an overarching universe.

The problem is that it seems a little too padded and the controls actually aren't as good as Strike Wing IMO.

It's hard to pin point but it just doesn't come together very well.

That said, I'm still having some fun with it as a fan of the genre but it's far from being in the same class as something like Galaxy on Fire 2. And I almost think I like Strike Wing better as a "game" even if it really didn't have much to it.

Never played Galaxy on Fire 2, does it still look good?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
wish Crashlands was on Vita or something with actual non-touch controls as it's got what I want most in a survival game: objectives/structure

btw congrats on the modship More_Badass

It's on Steam if handheldedness isn't required for you.

awp69

Never played Galaxy on Fire 2, does it still look good?

Haven't played it in a long time but it looked great back then and I have a feeling it still would hold up well.

Also, I believe the base game, which in itself is very lengthy (maybe 20+ hours?) is now free. And the currency IAPs are completely optional.

Only cost is for the expansions (looks like that's $8.99). But you'll definately have a lot of gameplay before you decide on those.

heringer

It is really good. Kinda suck still but getting used to the controls. Very fair payment model too.

Don't worry, keep doing the tutorials and training and playing quick matches and they will eventually click.

On Stellar Wanderer, have you played more of it? Maybe the ship handling gets better with better ships? I'm tempted because of the cockpit view. I love cockpit view in my space flight games.

awp69

Don't worry, keep doing the tutorials and training and playing quick matches and they will eventually click.

On Stellar Wanderer, have you played more of it? Maybe the ship handling gets better with better ships? I'm tempted because of the cockpit view. I love cockpit view in my space flight games.

Only played like one more mission so haven't yet gotten another ship. Work has been rough lately. I do like it. It just feels mediocre. Could have done without the voice acting and used that money to polish it up more.

Edit: I've also been having issues with the virtual stick getting frozen. I'd definitely recommend holding off on this for now.

pdk27

I was getting the hang out it and then they switch me to the other side and started serving up lob shots. Oh man. Ha Ha.

Pretty good game so far though. Will definitely pay to get rid of the ads.

awp69

I was getting the hang out it and then they switch me to the other side and started serving up lob shots. Oh man. Ha Ha.

Pretty good game so far though. Will definitely pay to get rid of the ads.

Yeah, switching sides really through me off too!

Wish you could set it to always be on the bottom like they do in other sports games as an option.

Haven't played it in a long time but it looked great back then and I have a feeling it still would hold up well.

Also, I believe the base game, which in itself is very lengthy (maybe 20+ hours?) is now free. And the currency IAPs are completely optional.

Only cost is for the expansions (looks like that's $8.99). But you'll definately have a lot of gameplay before you decide on those.

Yep I got quite a few hours out of Galaxy On Fire 2 for zero dollars when I started out in iOS gaming. It's a great game.

Oynox

So my iPhone was stolen tonight and I now I need to use my backup 3GS. Haptically, it is still the best iPhone but performance is indeed low. And I have a hard time finding games which still run on iOS 6.1.6. Do you still remember any old, good games which run on an iPhone 3GS?

heringer

The controls are great, I think. I would like the option to move them though.

I've just spent two hours straight playing a tennis game. This game is too good, dang.

nampad

So my iPhone was stolen tonight and I now I need to use my backup 3GS. Haptically, it is still the best iPhone but performance is indeed low. And I have a hard time finding games which still run on iOS 6.1.6. Do you still remember any old, good games which run on an iPhone 3GS?

Have you played Year Walk and Device 6 yet?

PittaGAF

CardCrawl new Delve mode is simply outstanding, Possible the best and more thrilling mode among all the other (already awesome) modes.
Depth 9 is INFURIATING (in a good way).

Feel much more a dungeon crawler than a card game.

What a game, and what an amazing support by the dev.

A sci-fi RTS from the devs of Kingdom Rush? Sign me up!
Teaser
112_ingame.png
A gaffer over on the Android gaming thread is on the Iron Marines team and says they're trying to get this game out by March (When it's ready, of course)!

That was way sooner than I expected, I was afraid I'd have to wait to the middle of the year at least.

awp69

This is the week, guys
- Love You To Bits
- Assassin's Creed: Identity
- The Walking Dead: Michonne
Got those devices ready

I also have a strong suspicion, based on a few Tweets I had with DotEmu, that the port of Titan Quest could be on tap this week too.

Really, that and Love You to Bits are all I'd want.

AC: Identity didn't sound so hot in beta so unless it's drastically changed, I'll probably pass. And I still haven't even played through the other WD Telltale games.

I also have a strong suspicion, based on a few Tweets I had with DotEmu, that the port of Titan Quest could be on tap this week too.

Really, that and Love You to Bits are all I'd want.

AC: Identity didn't sound so hot in beta so unless it's drastically changed, I'll probably pass. And I still haven't even played through the other WD Telltale games.
Dude, you're missing out. They're fantastic

Hopefully after Love you to Bits comes out the developers will work on fixing Tiny Thief which hasn't worked for quite a long time.

I was pretty far along in it too on my iPad and I don't really want to start all over again on my Android phone. :(

Hopefully after Love you to Bits comes out the developers will work on fixing Tiny Thief which hasn't worked for quite a long time.

I was pretty far along in it too on my iPad and I don't really want to start all over again on my Android phone. :(
(Some of the) same devs, different team. They formed their own company, so they have no control over Tiny Thief

awp69

Anyone still playing Lost Portal CCG? I'm still on the fence

Same here, not a huge fan of CCGs but I liked what I played of Hearthstone with my only gripe being it's focus on multiplayer. Seeing that this game is singleplayer only has got me interested in trying it.

It sounded kind of rough around the edges, especially with little to no tutorial. So I've been on the fence too. Might wait and see if it gets some updates.

killercow

I think so too! They've been teasing it a lot lately. Keep in mind though that this port will not feature multiplayer or the expansion.

awp69

I think so too! They've been teasing it a lot lately. Keep in mind though that this port will not feature multiplayer or the expansion.

I'm cool with that. As long as the port is good (and with DotEmu, I'm hopeful it will be), I'll be grabbing it.

Am I the only one here who played TouchTone? Game came out last year, just got around to downloading it again

It's made by a two-man dev team who together made Solipskier, and have worked on Threes, Puzzlejuice, Hundreds, Riduculous Fishing, etc.

killercow

Am I the only one here who played TouchTone? Game came out last year, just got around to downloading it again

It's made by a two-man dev team who together made Solipskier, and have worked on Threes, Puzzlejuice, Hundreds, Riduculous Fishing, etc.

Played it but didn't quite finish it. I need to get back on that.

Top Bottom