• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

PittaGAF

I think it's natural here for people to post about just the things they love, encouraging people with similar tastes to be hyped and nudged to buy.
This thread isn't a reviewer thread (at least I don't think so) but more a gathering for enthusiasts.
Personally I know almost all people tastes here so I know if we have similar sensibilities or not, and reading their comments usually is enough to decide.
Also, more often than not (myself for sure) people posts after a nice session with a game all hyped up, and want to share the fun.
Heck, often I get all hyped reading your comments about games I'll never be interested in!
There are several games, highly praised, that I bought and was really disappointed with, with major flaws for my tastes, but I didn't waste any time talking about those, also not to ruin hype for the others (recently Severed, Guild of Dungeoneering, Deus Ex GO).
It's not people fault tough, just different tastes and sometimes different timings.

BUT, at least personally and I write this here for posterity :p, if anyone is intrigued by a game I'm all hyped about and want to know what I think are its faults, if any, by all means ask!!!!

So about Kingdom New Lands one fault with he game is that after a while you can see if the actual run is doomed, way before it actually ends.
That or I just suck and have yet to understand some inner mechanics (could be).
It took me several bad runs to finally understand where the hell the merchant went, and this could be seen as a con by some people (not me).

PittaGAF

This week is insane considering I like puzzle and strategic titles a lot.

I'll be curious tough if packing indies all together in the same week with one day of exposure each will be more a plus or a con, income wise.

I'm super sad to say that I can't buy everything at launch.
It's not even for the money...it's for the time (I don't have).
And when I buy too many games in the same week, I end playing no one as it deserve.

And I want to play, not just watch them 5 minutes and move on.

BUT I'm sad because I know many of these devs who I highly respect can make (or not) a living just with the first month sales.

PittaGAF

Man, where DOES the merchant go? I miss the free gold. I'm testing whether it's driven by the kingdom's expansion or by the day.

MAHAHAHAHAHAH :p
It drove me nuts and ruined the first playthrough where I managed to dock the ship.
BUT now I know :p

Also I finally discovered how to make stone walls and how to....

drum rolls

SEND RAIDING PARTIES IN THE WILDERNESS!!!

Im not spoiling anything but if you really want...just tell me and I will nudge you in the right direction.

Know that many Middle Ages Bothan spies died for that information.

Pachimari

TouchArcade posted the news about Ticket to Earth

http://toucharcade.com/2017/03/13/p...-earth-riding-to-the-app-store-on-march-15th/

Where they link a gameplay video I totally missed back in the day

https://youtu.be/cl6lUL3PAhQ

Looks really interesting.

I thought this would be a management/strategy game, oh well. It's more like a SRPG. I might give it a go.

[edit] Beat 'em up game Edo Superstar is currently free and has been updated with Universal iPad support.

From what the dev on TA hinted, Tower Fortress will be a part of the indie lineup but it won't be March 15th. Add another one to the list I guess?

Next week is Sunless Sea, that snuck up on me. Same porting team behind Invisible Inc and Don't Starve so you know it's going to control beautifully on touch

awp69

Interesting that the Apple Indie celebration goes through the 20th when Sunless Sea comes out the 23rd unless they are moving it earlier. If not, you'd think Apple would have lined up the even to include it or add a few more games between things.

That's a pretty big indie release.

Oynox

Card Crawl was $2.99, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same price or maybe a bit higher
I would guess it is higher since the whole game is a lot deeper than Card Crawl. I have to admit that this is a bad thing for me since I absolutely love the short and fast paced games about Card Crawl and still play it if I have only a couple of minutes.

I would guess it is higher since the whole game is a lot deeper than Card Crawl. I have to admit that this is a bad thing for me since I absolutely love the short and fast paced games about Card Crawl and still play it if I have only a couple of minutes.
I feel you can still play a game of Card Thief in a few minutes. It's deeper, but it's still pretty quick

Pachimari

Are you kidding me. Saw Castaway Paradise, which is a Animal Crossing kinda thing, got an update and in here they mention their new game: Castaway Home Designer. Clearly going after that Animal Crossing crowd again. I can't wait till Nintendo's own Animal Crossing comes out for mobile this year.

I also just bought That Dragon, Cancer which I already have for Steam but figured I would want to play it in my hands. And Kingdom: New Lands, so I can see what this fuss is all about.

And I need to organize my games in another way, so that I actually get to play though them. Got 200+ games on the iPad and they're just taking up space in folders, never being played. I should look into changing that.

Any suggestions for good fast-paced arcade racers? Preferably futuristic ones like Wipeout and Fzero.
As for futuristic racers you could try out AG Drive and Hovercrash.

Pachimari

I've been playing Kingdom: New Land this morning and it's super addicting. I'm still figuring things out but I haven't died yet, and I'm at Day 16. One thing I don't yet understand is how I get more builders who can build and fix walls, fire catapults and such. I'm in a severe lack of these kind of workers. And one complaint I have at the moment is how far you can travel on your horse without actually coming by anything useful. That may change the more I expand my base and get access to more land though.

tRw0AlC.jpg

PittaGAF

I've been playing Kingdom: New Land this morning and it's super addicting. I'm still figuring things out but I haven't died yet, and I'm at Day 16. One thing I don't yet understand is how I get more builders who can build and fix walls, fire catapults and such. I'm in a severe lack of these kind of workers. And one complaint I have at the moment is how far you can travel on your horse without actually coming by anything useful. That may change the more I expand my base and get access to more land though.

Well...to answer both of your questions without spoilering tio much....be sure to explore more.
And remember, a well fed horse keeps it in shape and less fatigued.

Pachimari

Well...to answer both of your questions without spoilering tio much....be sure to explore more.
And remember, a well fed horse keeps it in shape and less fatigued.
I just let my horse eat grass, but grass is only available near my camp, and it runs out of fatigue quite often. I can feed it food? And there's no more jobless men out there when I ride from one end to another, but maybe new men spawn every day?

---

So we got these left:

Day 7 - ?
Day 8 - Cosmic Express
Day 9 - ?
Day 10 - Typeshift
Day 11 - ?

Wonder what we will get tomorrow. I wouldn't mind Card Thief already. But now that I play Kingdom, I wouldn't mind if it was the last day release. It could also be Tower Fortress.

---

What is the link to the thread More_Badass made for the 30 most anticipated games?

PittaGAF

I just let my horse eat grass, but grass is only available near my camp, and it runs out of fatigue quite often. I can feed it food? And there's no more jobless men out there when I ride from one end to another, but maybe new men spawn every

If you don't find people anymore, you are in trouble.
Buy it's your doing.

And I won't say a word more!!!! :p

killercow

I just let my horse eat grass, but grass is only available near my camp, and it runs out of fatigue quite often. I can feed it food? And there's no more jobless men out there when I ride from one end to another, but maybe new men spawn every day?

---

So we got these left:

Day 7 - ?
Day 8 - Cosmic Express
Day 9 - ?
Day 10 - Typeshift
Day 11 - ?

Tomorrow is Ticket to Earth:

Day 7 - Ticket to Earth
Day 8 - Cosmic Express
Day 9 - ?
Day 10 - Typeshift
Day 11 - ?
Day 12 - ?

We still have at least Card Thief and possibly Tower Fortress to fit in there. Plus,as the event ends on Monday, March 20th, I believe there will be a game there too.

Tizoc

Will keep an eye out for Djinn Caster.

What are good free Match 3 games? I got Bejewled for my mother and she likes it, but she had one of those match 3 fruit games where you need to clear a level by matching certain fruits to clear the board which she enjoyed for a time and I was wondering if there were any other worthwhile games like that too.

Pachimari

If you don't find people anymore, you are in trouble.
Buy it's your doing.

And I won't say a word more!!!! :p
Oh wow, this is interesting. Can't come up with how it's my fault there's no more people out there. Maybe I have let them die when they were all alone out there with the darkness. Hmm... I'll see how far I can survive, and then when I start a new game I'll try and pay attention to the people.

Just grabbed an early code for Ticket to Earth.
I'll post later but so far very early impressions are great.
This is good to hear. It's like a SRPG isn't it?

PittaGAF

Oh wow, this is interesting. Can't come up with how it's my fault there's no more people out there. Maybe I have let them die when they were all alone out there with the darkness. Hmm... I'll see how far I can survive, and then when I start a new game I'll try and pay attention to the people.

Well...it's not properly your fault but it's your doing (as far as I can say).
You'll soon discover the game that looks so simple has a ton of mechanics interconnections and it's much deeper than it first seems.
While not rocket science, the game does an incredible job imho pretending you are really a king conquering uncharted lands always maintaining the suspension of disbelief (also thanks to the graphics and sounds).

This is good to hear. It's like a SRPG isn't it?

Yes.
Played a bit more, and I continue to be impressed.
Despite being colorful and with a lighter touch (not generally my kind of game) the story really grabbed me (I'm not a fan of comics either) and the mechanics are super solid (I'm still at the start tough).
The graphic is fantastic...I'm really digging the choice of the isometric view, my favorite one.
The settings are really damn great, plus it has dynamic shadows for characters (another obsession of mine).
Can't wait to go home and play more, will keep you posted!

PittaGAF

I don't know of to say it nor how you will you cope with your time and wallet....but feel free to simply add Ticket to Earth on your most wanted list.

I'm super impressed.

A blend between Banner Saga, Steamwolrd Heist, Puzzle Quest and Dungeon Raid.
Yet, it feels really fresh and damn, it's SUPER polished.
The tutorial takes its time but when it opens up...woah, it really opens up.
So many choices, including during the fights, interesting story set in a credible world.
iCloud sync the icing on the cake.
Also, a big plus, fights while being pretty strategic doesn't seem (so far) to take ages....on the contrary everything is kept pretty compact for perfect playing on the go....unless like me you played one hour straight in the blink of an eye.

Definitely GLORIOUS so far.

awp69

I don't know of to say it nor how you will you cope with your time and wallet....but feel free to simply add Ticket to Earth on your most wanted list.

I'm super impressed.

A blend between Banner Saga, Steamwolrd Heist, Puzzle Quest and Dungeon Raid.
Yet, it feels really fresh and damn, it's SUPER polished.
The tutorial takes its time but when it opens up...woah, it really opens up.
So many choices, including during the fights, interesting story set in a credible world.
iCloud sync the icing on the cake.
Also, a big plus, fights while being pretty strategic doesn't seem (so far) to take ages....on the contrary everything is kept pretty compact for perfect playing on the go....unless like me you played one hour straight in the blink of an eye.

Definitely GLORIOUS so far.

Curious about the length being episodic, but I'll be picking it up. Kind of wish I had passed on a few other recent purchases as they are piling up with too many puzzlers in particular but this looks too good (and not a puzzler).

PittaGAF

Curious about the length being episodic, but I'll be picking it up. Kind of wish I had passed on a few other recent purchases as they are piling up with too many puzzlers in particular but this looks too good (and not a puzzler).

Eh do tell me...I'm glad I already finished Pan Pan, bought 'only' Kingdom New Lands and played a TON of Card Thief already.
So far the fact of it being episodic is the only downside I can see...but I don't know if it's short, ends with a cliffhanger or what.
So far it's great tough.

Pachimari

Hmm I've organized my games like this now:

- a page of games I am currently playing.

Folders:
- Next Up
- Queue (games I wanna play but don't necessarily need to get around to for the foreseeable future).
- New (recently bought games)
- Games
- Games

- a page of neverending games I'm currently playing.

I think I'm gonna make a Junk folder for all the games I don't plan on getting around to. There's probably a lot of those.

Eh do tell me...I'm glad I already finished Pan Pan, bought 'only' Kingdom New Lands and played a TON of Card Thief already.
So far the fact of it being episodic is the only downside I can see...but I don't know if it's short, ends with a cliffhanger or what.
So far it's great tough.
So is the story in it actually good?

Also how long is Pan-Pan? I got it already but have been putting it aside because of After The End.

PittaGAF

So is the story in it actually good?

Also how long is Pan-Pan? I got it already but have been putting it aside because of After The End.

The story so far has been interesting for me and, mind you, I generally don't like comics or 'colorful' sci-fi.
It probably won't win any novel prize but the world is credible tough, and I like how they move on with he story (I won't spoil it, it's pretty neat).

Pan pan is about 4 hours I think.
Perfect length for a so packed month like this.
I did take my time with some puzzles tough.

awp69

Kingdoms is on sale for $7.50 on Xbox One. Wasn't sure if it was my kind of game but Pitta's raving and the fact that I have credit on XBL (not having to spend more right now is a good thing), I'm thinking of picking it up.

PittaGAF

Kingdoms is on sale for $7.50 on Xbox One. Wasn't sure if it was my kind of game but Pitta's raving and the fact that I have credit on XBL (not having to spend more right now is a good thing), I'm thinking of picking it up.

Yeah yeah...go on and add other games!!! :p :p :p

BTW, not to nudge you on either platforms, but do know it plays incredibly well on iOS.

awp69

Yeah yeah...go on and add other games!!! :p :p :p

BTW, not to nudge you on either platforms, but do know it plays incredibly well on iOS.

Yeah, I'd probably like the iOS version but my mobile gaming is pretty full. Well, so is my console gaming but having some spare credit over there I'll probably get it on X1 to save some money.

Maybe double dip down the line if I really like it .... or come after you if I hate it ;)

PittaGAF

Yeah, I'd probably like the iOS version but my mobile gaming is pretty full. Well, so is my console gaming but having some spare credit over there I'll probably get it on X1 to save some money.

Maybe double dip down the line if I really like it .... or come after you if I hate it ;)

I really hope you like it as I do!!!
If it's not the case, I'll own you a cake!!!

Pachimari

I'm only on my 4th playthrough on Kingdoms, after restarting 3 times, but did figure out how to keep the plebs for hire, the merchant and stone walls! I realized that you definitely need more people to hire. The interaction with the merchant after each night is cool too. Now to figure out how to farm safely because the farmers like to stay out after dark.
Isn't the interaction with the merchant just that he gives you a bunch of coins each night?

Pan pan is about 4 hours I think.
Perfect length for a so packed month like this.
I did take my time with some puzzles tough.
I think I'm gonna start this one up today then. 4 hours shouldn't be too bad.

PittaGAF

After he gives you the coins and walks to the side you can tip him a coin in return. I thought it's cool how you have to have a coin on hand before picking up the ones he gives you otherwise he just goes home.
I'm not sure what it does yet - I suspect he may give you more coins the next night? - but it's a nice touch.

Be sure to do the same with the....
Banker, as I call him. I'm still not super sure how it gives you back the money, but when it does...it's A LOT

And I'm finding a ton of these things the more I play (or better....understand them).

BTW it took me a TON to understand how to build walls and what the flags outside (with that nice little trump sound) meant.

So good.

Erebus

There's AG Drive which looks pretty but for some reason got kind of dull after a while.

Repulze is still probably my favorite. Older but still looks great. Tons of upgrades and weapon based combat (in the third segment of the game).

Horizon Chase is a superb arcade racer though it is not a futuristic racer but inspired by racers like Outrun.

Not futuristic, but how about Horizon Chase

As for futuristic racers you could try out AG Drive and Hovercrash.
Thanks guys, already downloaded AG Drive but will definitely check all the recommendations.

PittaGAF

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Kingdom New Lands second island is awesome!!!
Incredible monsters!!!

And I made knights!!!
Fully armored brutal scary rude knights!!!!

GLORIOUS.

Pachimari

Lack of buzz about Bit City as well on here. I usually don't like clickers, but this one has hooked me good.
I think ther were two in here who didn't like it, and me who found it just okay. I think it would fit a phone more than playing it on my iPad.

And after cleaning up I've found 42 games I don't plan on playing. Maybe I should just delete them off my iPad. But I'm kind of afraid that they could be delisted someday and removed from my owned list.

PittaGAF

I promise this is my last post about Kingdom: new lands....but I just made it to island 3!!!!!!

What an epic adventure it was....I BARELY made to the boat....my castle was already destroyed and my mighty knights army was decimated during a raid by some sort of GODZILLA that vomited armored minions during a red moon night.
Winter was almost at it's peak too, and the merchant was no more either.
So I did it thanks to my archers army that killed (for money) a lot of deers in the forests.
Meanwhile I discovered a ton of new things, which was awesome (I thought the other islands were the same as the first, just bigger and more difficult....I was SO WRONG).

GLORIOUSLY EPIC game.

I'm both scared and curious about what island 3 has in store now.

Top Bottom