• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2016 | April jests bring Titan Quests

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

Fhs8Iyr.jpg

Site | App Store
Pathfinder Adventures, the digital adaptation of Paizo Inc.'s Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, translates the world's best-selling Pathfinder Roleplaying Game into an entirely new breed of card game, where players cooperatively battle monsters and villains, and acquire new feats, items, weapons and allies.
Role-players will find the game's character development very familiar. Characters have classes such as fighter, wizard, and rogue, as well as numbers that define strength, dexterity, intelligence, etc. You'll improve your character by acquiring new items, allies, spells, and weapons as you explore and overcome challenges; over time, you'll be able to customize your deck to better suit your own individual vision of your character.
The game can be played solo, or with other adventurers using built-in pass-and-play functionality.

ygcgJZI.png
6EvmcFJ.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Totally in love with the game on iPad as well.

Not the most informative tutorial imho (read the rules if you aren't familiar with the game, but after 3-4 games you will be at home) and there is a nasty problem that makes rolling the dice a bit wonky when you are low on health (you must try several times for the roll to register, a known problem apparently due to the low health blur effect) but when you get the hang of it...wow...it really shines.

I'm at work now and all I can think of is how to best configure the party for the quests ahead.

Highly recommended.

This game is amazing. I kind of want to get the physical version now.
Pathfinder is SO good. the strategy is clear in that I know what I should do, but you still gotta rely on the dice and the cards, but you can build your decks to min/max your chances.... And then there's this whole other layer where you can move your characters around and have them interact with each other by trading cards or buffing attacks or healing. It creates this feeling where if you're thinking two or three steps ahead you could come up with some really efficient paths through the scenarios... So you can think about your turns very carefully or you can just try to brute force it and hope you get a little luck. There's been many times where I've won or lost on the last dice roll on the last turn... It's very emotional.

And then the app itself is super polished, great presentation, great art, great music and sound effects. Tactile feeling of rolling dice and moving cards on beautiful backgrounds accompanied by satisfying thwacks of combat and cards being burnt up as you slay monsters. The fighter feels like a fighter, able to kill anything, the rogue like a rogue withe pockets full of gadgets and answers and sneaky ways to pump up her damage, and the cleric has got divine blessings for days. It feels like you're physically rolling the dice and playing the cards but also that you're an adventuring party clearing dungeons. I love it.

It's really good definetly recommend.

ez67zpa.jpg

Site | App Store
Egz is a mesmerizing mix between an addictive action puzzle game and an animated movie! Don’t let your Egz die!
A few seconds after our Universe was created: when there was nothing. Until matter appeared, to the point where it became an ideal environment to give birth to the first living beings: the Egz. In this expanding universe, how did the Egz survived?

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Bought it and it's absolutely lovely. You control the egg (or egz?) by flinging him and everytime he lands, his shells cracks a little. You must then gather little orbs to get back some health (and also three star the levels).

It seems to expand quite a lot afterwards with boss battles and more.

Bought Egz... It's Editors Choice in Spain as well... the game is unique. Seems very special. One thing I like is that once your egz is gone you loose all your customization and abilities, but you can revive it for a lot of XP or create a fresh Egz. Controls by flinging and its done well. You can heal it by collecting things scattered on the levels. Everything screams awesomeness and quality. Loving it, a lot. So far, absolutely worth it. The world of Egz feels alive.
---
Egz is every reason why I love iOS gaming <3

Egz is soooooooooo silly but quite fun. I'm not sure I like how they die and you have to spend XP to revive, especially since you can (or have to) replay/grinds the earlier levels for XP. Really clever game though.

VKEhA.png

Site | App Store
Warbits, a war simulator for a better tomorrow. Give peace a fighting chance by settling your differences casualty free. Don't agree with your fellow factions? You don't have to! Put those blasters down, load up Warbits, and virtually crush the opposition!
screenshot1.png
screenshot3.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

C'est incroyable
Played this during the beta. It's a great version of Advance Wars. It's a shameless clone, but it's funny, polished, and well tuned. I didn't love the art style but it's grown on me. I liked it enough to buy it.

It's literally Advance Wars though. Don't expect innovation here. Just a lot of polish.
Been playing for a while and love it. It's a speedier Advance Wars and apart from one minor change or two (which helps spice and speed up gameplay) it's identical. Great visual style and great music, too. So far the only "bad" aspect is that the dialogue seems a bit uneven in quirkiness (and sometimes resorts to smileys which is odd). The map design is pretty nice so far in the campaign which surprises me. Just started trying out multiplayer and the versus maps, so I'll have to wait and judge those... even if they look good from what I can tell.

Ahh, I've always wanted a new Advance Wars and this game sure hits the spot for me. We should create a GAF tag.
Played this for a good bit yesterday. Is it Advance Wars at it's core? Yes. Did they add a bit of their own personal spice and make a great version of it for this platform? Yes!

It feels great to have something that scratches that AW itch, looks great, and is genuinely well polished in all aspects.

ugHHnHC.jpg

Site | App Store
Set in the dystopian future in which the First World War never ended, humanity knows only war and bombardment.
You are a Strike Commander, tasked by Fuhrer of the Empire State to spearhead an artillery offensive against Traitor General Kranz. You might be the one to end all wars.
Customize and manage your battle fortress. Grow and upgrade your arsenal of weapons and utility facilities, then place them in different slots of your fortress layout.

s3.png
s6.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

Okay, Redcon is awesome. The pay structure is like their other game Reaper. $2.99 for the base game, and then $4.99 or $5.99 for the base game plus extras. The game is kind of like XCOM base building, plus FTL. You build your artillery base and then manage your weapons and soliders. Weapons have different shot types, you can send out airships to drop assault troops onto the enemy base, and there's a ton of weapons, rooms, and upgrades to choose from. Very polished
BTW, Redcon is legit guys.

OjCIGkn.jpg

Site | App Store
Goo Saga is a platform adventure game where the player guides an elastic creature named Goo in a perilous journey to find his creator – and with him, the mysterious purpose of his own creation.
Will Goo succeed? Puzzles, deadly traps and an army of foes in a labyrinthine underwater lab block his way. Goo’s destiny is in the player’s hands.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Goo Saga is one of those charming platformers that probably compares most to Leo's Fortune. It's not at the same level of that classic but it's got lovely graphics and soundtrack, nice multipath levels to explore and light puzzle elements. It also has an upgrade system and boss battles (which I haven't gotten to yet in the first three levels).

It may end up being on the short side with 19 levels in all but it has survival and speed runs that can be unlocked for each. Also has a level editor, which I haven't messed with yet (this is one reason I probably should have waited for this on iOS as I would expect a bigger community -- there's not a single user made level on Android yet).

All in all a nicely polished platformer. Not too difficult so far but quite enjoyable.
I brought it, mixed feelings about the game. When it all works it is good fun but too many times I've found the controls to be super unresponsive, to the point where sometimes I have pressed 'left' and the goo just refused to move until I lifted my finger and taped again.

q8bV5Up.jpg

Site | App Store
Chameleon Run is a unique, fast and challenging autorunner with a colorful twist. Jump, switch and run through expertly crafted levels that will have you running back for more.
Your goal is to switch your color to match the ground as you run and jump from platform to platform. Sounds easy right? Well think again!

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Okay, Chameleon Run is fantastic, and I'm only two levels in. The controls feel great, the visuals are nice, and it's not just rote endless runner. There's a speed-running aspect, multi-route levels, extra objectives like completing levels without switching colors. And shaving seconds off your times take skill; switching color just before landing gives you a speed boost, so getting the best time means precisely timed jumps, daringly timed switches, and figuring out the fastest most direct way through a level

There are 16 levels in the game, but there's a nice amount of challenge and replay value for each level, and the devs always provided good post-release content for their games

An easy recommendation for $2
I also did pick up Chameleon Run. Pretty cool platformer. The double jump mechanics are a little different than other platformers and kind of threw me off a bit.

But the challenge picks up. I know it has replayability but so wish it had more levels already being half way through in about 20 minutes. Then again we're only talking $2.

rQlQBXX.jpg

Site | App Store
Welcome to a dark and hilarious Victorian-Gothic underworld, where every choice has a consequence from the style of your hat to the price of your soul. Fallen London, acclaimed literary RPG and winner of The Escapist's Best Browser Game award, has come to iOS!
For those who love to read and for those who love to play, Fallen London offers you a unique narrative which evolves with every choice you make. Define your destiny through the stories you embark on and the character you cultivate.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Fallen London is confusing as hell at first, could use a tutorial and you MUST log out before closing the app or it probably revert you to a previous save and load assets forever....but damn when you start to understand things and most important when you start your first quest/storyline....woah....stopping is almost impossible.

4WGy2fi.png

Site | App Store
Super fast avoid ’em up arcade!
Play now and challenge your reflexes! Feel the beat! Push the limits!

FK8hIpP.gif
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

The sense of speed in this game is insane. I played on my phone. Then tried it on my iPad Pro. I don't think I can go back to the small screen. It's so smooth and fast.
Barrier X is DOOOOOPE! Played it all day yesterday. Took me forever to realize the lanes turn red as a warning :p

xXrFuQT.png

Site | App Store
A nameless hero finds himself in a place between fantasy and nightmare. He doesn't remember his name nor where he comes from. Wandering through strange lands, he struggles to discover the truth about the world around him, as well as about himself.
The dreamlike, nightmarish atmosphere of the game was inspired by the works of painters H.R. Giger and Zdzis&#322;aw Beksi&#324;ski. The game's final look and feel was also strongly influenced by the universes of games such as Demon's Souls or Dark Seed. This unique mixture gave life to a bleak and depressing world.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Awesome, Tormentum is out

If you like
- point-and-click/adventure games
- Giger's creepy twisted artwork
- Lovecraftian/Gothic horror and imagery

Get this now

6nWOM0q.jpg

Site | App Store
The Pang series is a beloved collection of arcade video games from the early 90s. Guide two brothers on a quest around the world to save humankind from a massive alien invasion! Use your wits and skills to overcome the attack balls pouring from the skies and rescue the world’s cities and landmarks from impending annihilation!
Pang Adventures brings new features and gameplay to this arcade legend while keeping true to the original spirit of the series.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

You guys really should look at Pang Adventures. I had never played a game in the series but it's kind of like a mix of bubble buster, brick breaker and Space invaders with a wide variety level design.

While it's published by Dot Emu, it's a Pasta Games game (Pix N Love, Rayman Jungle Run, Pix the Cat among others).

Bargain at $2.99 for over 100 levels as I'm sure the PC and console versions will be more expensive.

QiGfzXP.jpg

Site | App Store
Prepare to smash it! A hyper-charged arcade smash sport designed to test your skills and reflexes to the max. Fight your way through the leaderboard and become a PKTBALL master!
Collect dozens of awesome PKTBUDDIES, featuring DotBoy the retro console, Brains the zombie, Mixtape the vintage cassette and many more. Each PKTBUDDY comes complete with a new court and unique soundtrack, and special guest PKTBUDDIES include PUK, ALONE, HOPIKO as well as other exciting characters!

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Came here to say Im addicted to PKTBALL by laser dog
Yeah and it's quite fun. The business model of PKTBALL is also interesting (and better explained here: http://www.laserdog.co.uk/blog/17/2/2016/laser-dog-sells-their-soul-again )

K34ct8x.png

Site | App Store
The year is 1994 and it is the future.
NO THING is an indie minimalistic surreal action game set in totalitarian regime of future.
Tells the story of an office clerk who is sent with important message to the Queen of Ice.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Got and played a bit of NO THING. It's pretty cool so far. First person trippy maze type game which I heard gets really wild once you get to the second level (which I haven't yet made it too). Has bizarre story text.

It's also on Steam and is getting good reviews there so far.

---

Enjoying the three released I got this week - Chameleon Run, CATTCH, NO THING (What's with the all caps for the last two?)

NO THING is easily the most difficult of the three. But I love the aesthetic and weirdness of it all. Kind of feels like what Jeff Minter would do with a first person runner. Wish there were checkpoints as it can be really frustrating to get through 90% of a level and then die.

yyIAfpX.jpg

Site | App Store
Blast fiends by spelling words and make your way to the top of the Spellspire!
Spellspire is a thrilling mashup of word game and action role playing game. Pick letters from a grid to spell words and shoot them from your wand as spells. The longer the word, the bigger the blast! Collect gold dropped by slain monsters and buy more potent wands, hats and robes with magical special effects and abilities. Will you reach the top of the Spellspire, and what will you find?

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Spellspire is a really fun, simple game that ramps up quickly in difficulty. You are given two rows of seven tiles, and need to spell words with a minimum of 3 letters to defeat enemies. You want to defeat the enemy before their attack counter reaches zero and they attack you. The catch? The tiles are static, and you can only use a word once. When you have 7+ enemies to get through, the game becomes pretty strategic as you need to save your longer words for tougher enemies. You gain coins for defeating enemies and a chest of coins at the end, which you use to upgrade your weapons and armor. Pretty straightforward, but it's a simple game with a very, very, very fair F2P formula, at least early on in the game.

My one complaint is there is no button to rotate the tiles. I am slightly dyslexic, so my eyes go cross when I'm trying to find a new word before the attack timer runs out. A rotate button would be invaluable.

jAvaie4.jpg

Site | App Store
Get ready for sizzling graphics, true platforming action, and mind-bending puzzle play in the colorful new adventure Cattch - from the award winning studio that brought you the arcade hit Darklings.
You must take Cattch, a hyper-color cat, on a journey of revenge, to bounce on all those nasty little monsters before the weekend is over, so he can save his friends and finally chill out. Cattch&#8217;s extraordinary jumping and landing skills will come in handy while facing insane puzzles in his home world of Cubika. Go CATTCH!!!

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

CATTCH is very very good... I really like the level design and how it rotates giving you new paths so the exit. Also, when you repeat a level, everything you collected previously is looted, so you just have to focus on the things left. That and many more little touches makes it great. Plus the art, music and controls are perfect.

Wy7IjDI.png

Site | App Store
Fold+ is the sequel to the acclaimed puzzler Fold, featuring more than double the puzzles of the original, new concepts, redesigned graphics and interface.
Cleverly fold, expand, rotate and bring colored blocks together until only one block of each color remains. Fold+ is a minimalist, brain-teasing puzzle which 160 levels will keep you hooked for hours.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

3uN2xXT.png

Site | App Store
Vectradius is a fast paced, tongue-in-cheek, circle based shooter! Tilt to swing your Vectradian ship around the edge of the circle while blasting Vectovillians back to the 1980&#8217;s! Avoid your enemies as they cross the edge of the circle, while using bombs and lasers to get through goals, increase score multipliers, and get powerups. NO IN APP PURCHASES. This is an old school style game. Your skill is what takes you to the top of the leaderboards, not your money.
Play this game, perfect your score, and become the best pilot in the vectoverse!

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

wzedL7t.jpg

Site | App Store
Orbit&#8217;s Odyssey is a stimulating strategy puzzle game with a stunning art style. Play as intergalactic adventurer, Orbit, and traverse the multiverse -- collecting gems, exploring planets, and escaping an army of evil robot-monsters.
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

PqYjCvB.png

Site | App Store
Zenge is a peculiar puzzle game, telling the story of Eon - a lonely journeyman who's stuck between the worlds and time.
Game is intended to be a relaxing experience, thus there are no points, stars, tutorials, move counters, in game shops or any other distractors. Just pure, immersive journey with Eon, told through gorgeous art and music.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

c5rbxYF.jpg

Site | App Store
Solve a criminal case beyond believe in this supernatural adventure game based on the popular graphic novel trilogy published by Dark Horse! Written and illustrated by the guys who made the comics!
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

wcEfO6V.png

Hexcell series - May 2nd
Joan Mad Run - May 3rd
Inks - May 5th
Black Hole Joyrider - May 5th
Caterzillar - May 12th
Mekorama - May 15th
Titan Quest - May 19th
Imbroglio - May 19th
Verreciel - Early May
Cat Knight Story

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold
iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits
iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot
iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Saucycarpdog for the thread title and Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

Emarv

All these iPad only games making me really regret not having an iPad right now. Hexcells and Redcon for me.

Also saw coverage for Kamisado, which looks cool. And Psycard, a minesweeper/match game from the guys who made Card City Nights. Both seem interesting.

NEVER ENOUGH CARD AND BOARD GAMES

screen640x640.jpeg

psycard-3.png

All these iPad only games making me really regret not having an iPad right now. Hexcells and Redcon for me.

Also saw coverage for Kamisado, which looks cool. And Psycard, a minesweeper/match game from the guys who made Card City Nights. Both seem interesting.

NEVER ENOUGH CARD AND BOARD GAMES

screen640x640.jpeg

psycard-3.png
Missed those, thanks for the heads up

I think Redcon is playable enough on iPhone.

colinp

Banned
Oh man, I didn't fix the spelling mistake in my Egz post and now it's forever enshrined forever in the May thread. Oh my shame!!

Greta job as always Badass! ;)

Of course, after all the hype, I somehow totally forgot to include Warbits in the OP :p

Btw, anyone still play Kindo? Did that game's community wither away already? I remember it being the big thing when it released

Another top intro post there MB. Dunno if I should be happy or sad that whenever I am in the OP it is almost always through negative impressions when everyone else is so positive. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I was just thinking about if I should FINALLY upgrade from an iPad 2 to an Air 2 (I keep putting it off). With Titan Quest coming out (what?!), I may have to go for it.

Titan Quest or 'Titan Quest'? Main TQ team moved on to form their own studio and have been busy with Grim Dawn. I doubt they made a mobile version of TQ.

Edit: Just realized it is "Titan's Quest" not Titan Quest.

Titan Quest or 'Titan Quest'? Main TQ team moved on to form their own studio and have been busy with Grim Dawn. I doubt they made a mobile version of TQ.

Edit: Just realized it is "Titan's Quest" not Titan Quest.
Typo on my end. It's legit Titan Quest. Dotemu is porting (same guys who ported Sanitarium and Another World)

Typo on my end. It's legit Titan Quest. Dotemu is porting (same guys who ported Sanitarium and Another World)

Oh so it's a port then? That makes more sense. I'd like to see a gameplay video because I'm curious how it transitions. Is it in the facebook link (it's blocked at my current location)?

SE Montreal's games are going to get a lot more interesting.

Devs from Heart Machine (Hyper Light Drifter) and Capy (Below) joined them

(Montreal is the studio behind the GO games)

Pachimari

Just bought Hexcells, and is gonna buy Papers Please when it has finished downloading. Exciting. Hopefully my connection here can handle it.

Pachimari

First time playing those?
Nope. Got them all on Steam but I imagine they'll be great to play on an iPad. Unfortunately the iPad is not mine, but at least I have the game in my account now.

Gonna start it up after Papers Please has downloaded. Which I also have on Steam.

Nope. Got them all on Steam but I imagine they'll be great to play on an iPad. Unfortunately the iPad is not mine, but at least I have the game in my account now.

Gonna start it up after Papers Please has downloaded. Which I also have on Steam.
I personally think Papers Please is best played on iPad. The touch controls fit the gameplay so well, in ways that a simple mouse can't. Feels like you're actually interacting with the booth rather than just clicking stuff

awp69

Anyone else on mobile annoyed by the new ads at the bottom of the pages? Guess GAF had to do what it needs to but throws me off.

Jarsonot

Do y'all that have pathfinder think it would be feasible on a 6+? It's not THAT much smaller than a mini. =)

They'd have a much larger customer base, too... Hopefully this isn't port begging? If so, I retract the question. =)

My girlfriend scoped out Fallen London for me. She says the F2P stuff makes the game pretty slow and they don't give you enough "actions" to do anything fast enough. She also said that you can interact with other players, that the game syncs across to the browser based version of the game...so I suppose it's a great deal more ambitious. I figured it was just another text adventure like 80 Days.

My girlfriend scoped out Fallen London for me. She says the F2P stuff makes the game pretty slow and they don't give you enough "actions" to do anything fast enough. She also said that you can interact with other players, that the game syncs across to the browser based version of the game...so I suppose it's a great deal more ambitious. I figured it was just another text adventure like 80 Days.
No, it's a straight up text/narrative-based RPG, with incredibly extensive story paths and choices, stats, equipment. It's less an adventure, and more crafting a personality in that world. You have a home, you venture into the world, talk to NPCs, learn more about the world, uncover weird secrets that lead to weirder quests, increase your reputations on the path you want. A rising thief among the underworld, a gentleman noble, a spy, and tons more. Very expansive, always getting new content, and meant to be enjoyed at a drip-feed long-form "play during your lunch break" pacing

sheaaaa

I personally think Papers Please is best played on iPad. The touch controls fit the gameplay so well, in ways that a simple mouse can't. Feels like you're actually interacting with the booth rather than just clicking stuff

How do the unlockable keyboard shortcuts work on iPad? I double dipped on iOS last year and didn't find that it suited the format any more so than the PC version. Curious how the shortcuts work.

PittaGAF

Do y'all that have pathfinder think it would be feasible on a 6+? It's not THAT much smaller than a mini. =)

They'd have a much larger customer base, too... Hopefully this isn't port begging? If so, I retract the question. =)

Obsidian is working at a universal version.
They answered me it will happen soon...but usually dev soon has another meaning than my own soon.
But it will happen.

Looking at Verreciel development on github... the todo list in the project still points to a lot of things to be done. And then it would need to go through submission/approval?

Originally it was due out in January, right?

warning:
whilst it's possible for you to build and play the incomplete game yourself! I do not advise. but it is beautiful. #spoiler

Top Bottom