• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
No game makes me feel as helpless as King of Dragon Pass.

Pocket Tactics mentioned that there's a free version of Starbase Orion, Starbase Orion: First Contact, and Google even shows an iTunes link. But it doesn't seem to be available in the US store. Anyone know why that is?

DigiMish

Robot Unicorn Attack 2 feels worse than the 1st one. The unicorn's jump isn't as floaty as it should be, and it feels too weighty.

The game also suffers from random lag where the platforms start jittering.

It's got some interesting social features though.

deim0s

Anyone bought Talisman Prologue, worth it?

Am confused, it's not the final game yeah? I mean it's lacking MP and being a "prologue", so they're going to release another version of the app or this is it just with IAP for updates?

lego batman seems like a port of 3ds/vita game which is the same with other lego games.

That does remind me, i should pick up the pc game on the next sale. heard it was good.

PFD

Just got to day 6 in Hope: the other side of adventure. Sadly, it doesn't load for me, all I get is a black screen. People on TA forums have posted the same.

That's too bad, I was looking forward to the ending.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any thoughts on Talisman? Between that and the upcoming Warhammer Quest, I feel like I'm in heaven. Next we need Descent and Runebound. <3

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Robot Unicorn Attack 2 feels worse than the 1st one. The unicorn's jump isn't as floaty as it should be, and it feels too weighty.

The game also suffers from random lag where the platforms start jittering.

It's got some interesting social features though.

What device are you playing on?

SteveWD40

Anyone bought Talisman Prologue, worth it?

Am confused, it's not the final game yeah? I mean it's lacking MP and being a "prologue", so they're going to release another version of the app or this is it just with IAP for updates?

Will post impressions when I have had chance to play it, but I did read the MP is coming as an IAP to this app.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
On it. Thanks guys.

I know there is already another version that has just been subbed. Will find out what that addresses.

SteveWD40

So far Talisman is great imho, it's simple, the quest mechanic seems well thought out and the card art is nice, it really feels like a board game.

Word of warning, the text is small, even on the iPad mini, no idea how it will play on a phone...

Random heroes 2 is pretty solid. It has all the bits you expect from the devs and plenty of levels, guns and secrets to find.

If you still want more of their games or have not played one before? It is well worth a go.

SteveWD40

Random heroes 2 is pretty solid. It has all the bits you expect from the devs and plenty of levels, guns and secrets to find.

If you still want more of their games or have not played one before? It is well worth a go.

Can you move the controls? essential for iPad's...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Last night's games of note:

http://appshopper.com/games/the-nightjar
***FEATURING THE VOICE OF BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH***

You&#8217;ve been stranded on a dying spacecraft, spiralling into a black hole &#8230; and then your problems really start. &#8220;The Nightjar&#8221; is an incredible &#8216;video game with no video,&#8217; featuring the voice of Benedict Cumberbatch (Star Trek Into Darkness, Sherlock, War Horse).

You&#8217;ll have to see with your ears, using only sound to survive all that deep space has to throw at you &#8212; &#8220;The Nightjar&#8221; has world-beating sound design and incredible 3D audio technology. From the moment the crew of the Nightjar run for their lives (leaving you behind in a malfunctioning airlock), you&#8217;ll find yourself immersed in one of the most realistic game worlds ever created.
Seems to be something similar to that other game whose name escapes me that was an audio-only experience.

http://appshopper.com/games/random-heroes-2
Platformer/shootbang? I never played the first one.

http://appshopper.com/games/gun-commando
Earth has been captured by alien forces and all that stands between the oblivious civilians and their grim fate is Gun Commando, Jack Bennett. Jack is no-nonsense, war-torn mercenary &#8211; with a large arsenal of heavy weaponry! His deadliest mission yet takes him on a city-wide journey of destruction, where he must attempt to single-handedly eliminate the &#8220;Bug problem&#8221; once and for all. His main goal is simple: kill every last one of them!

Gun Commando&#8482; takes inspiration from legendary games like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D, combining classic First Person Shooter and Shoot-em-up gameplay &#8211; with a look and feel that gives the game a nostalgic, old-school appeal. Together, this creates an energetic and unique experience &#8211; all topped off with beautifully illustrated artwork by comic book legend, Romano Molenaar.
This looks cool!

http://appshopper.com/games/lego-batman-dc-super-heroes
Is this a full-fledged "LEGO: ###" game like the console games? If so, could be good!

http://appshopper.com/games/the-house-of-the-dead-overkill­-the-lost-reels
This was a Wii game wasn't it? Not sure how light-gun games translate, frantic taptap-tap game? :) Pricing model is different, I guess it's cool that they don't go full-price ($5 for 2/3 eps and another $2 for the last ep) so you dont spend all your gum money on it and end up disliking it.

http://appshopper.com/games/talisman-prologue-hd
awesome boardgame gets seemingly awesome ios adaptation? I think so.

http://appshopper.com/games/robot-unicorn-attack-2
Can't argue with Free, but I never got into the first one (was all run out on endless runners by that point!).

oh and maybe these?? this one seems like a cutesy boardgame..game? :)
http://appshopper.com/games/maxs-pirate-planet-a-board-game-adventure

and another episode of the popular(?) Runaway point-n-click game series?
http://appshopper.com/games/runaway-a-twist-of-fate-part-2

Minsc

Gold Member
Most interesting sounding release to me this week is the House of the Dead: Overkill iOS release, by merit of being HotD. Also reading a few impressions seem really positive, much more than I expected. Anything that may bring a Texting of the Dead closer I'll buy though.

Best village builder for ios? (animal crossing style)

There is nothing (sorry Happy Street is not an Animal Crossing substitute, nor does that other 4 year old Alien game really do the AC magic any justice). Try checking out Castaway Paradise though, there was a recent update / trailer posted here.

Source for this sad news?

Sad news? It has gone from being iOS vaporware to coming out in a few months, that's more like good news if true. :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This has been out for two years or something. Is the Cumberbatch audio the new part of it?

You're right.

No idea then, Appshopper claims its a new game, my bad. Reading some older reviews of it, seems to be great. :)

Edit: Regarding Talisman.. they couldn't have just left the name as "Talisman"? It's "Talisman Prlg" on the icon, lols. :D
On iPhone the text and menu buttons are on the small side, similar to what Starbase Orion looks like, I haven't had issues tapping anything yet though (works fine like SO). Loving it so far!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Absolutely one hundred percent loving Eighty Eight

Drop 7 is my favorite iOS game ever, and this shit is just... terrific.

My first impression is that it's very, very similar to Drop 7, but that's not a bad thing. It's a formula that works. It's a little more appealing to the eyes and I like the soundtrack, very relaxing. This will definitely be in my rotation for a long time.

FnordChan

Last night I snagged Talisman Prologue and spent about an hour with the game. Here's the skinny.

First off, for those of you not familiar with the game, let me tell about Talisman. Per the subtitle, Talisman is a "magical quest game" that has been around for thirty years. Here's what the board looks like:

talisman.jpg

Each player has a character with different attributes (strength, craft, starting gold, starting lives, and fate) and different special abilities. These characters start on the outer ring of the map and roll randomly to move around and encounter each space. In most of the spaces you draw a card and encounter what's there, which usually involves finding stuff, having to fight a monster, meeting a follower who will join your character and give you abilities, or encountering something that makes you lose a turn, increases an attribute, or what have you. There are also spells that you can toss around, generally at each other. The goal is to get stronger, progress to the middle ring, and then on to the inner ring. The catch is that to enter the very center of the board you need to have an item called a Talisman and there are only four total in the game. So, when you're playing a six player game, things get exciting.

(As a quick aside, for those of you who are Familiar with Talisman, I've been playing the game for about twenty-five years, going back to the Second Edition. I've also kept up with the current Fourth Edition published by Fantasy Flight Games, which Talisman Prologue is built on, and have all the expansions, play periodically, and so forth. Boy, howdy, do I love me some Talisman.)

The thing about Talisman is that it's very luck based. You may draw cards that give you nothing but swag and jobbers to beat up on. Or, you may get shafted over and over again. Also, some characters are simply better than others, so your starting draw has a lot to do with how well you're going to do. The structure of the game means that the more powerful you get, the easier it is to become even more powerful, and before long you're steamrolling everything in your path. Alternately, if you get too far behind, you're probably hosed - though the come from behind victory isn't impossible.

So, here we have Talisman Prologue. This is a faithful re-creation of the Fourth Edition of Talisman, using the same board, cards, rules, art, the whole nine yards. The folks at Nomad Games have done a bang up job of creating a digital version of Talisman and it plays more or less just like the real game, except with a lot less setup time, card shuffling, and arguing about what character everyone gets to play.

There are oddities, however. For example, the Fourth Edition of Talisman comes with unpainted grey miniatures as your playing pieces. I can't imagine why the Talisman Prologue creators didn't think to use painted versions of the miniatures as your token instead. Also, in a game full of spaces where you have to draw a card when you land on it, there's a mechanism where you have to actually tap on the "draw a card" button rather than having the card pop up automatically. This may be important when you're sitting there playing multiplayer Talisman and other folks might need the opportunity to cast spells at you partway through your turn or what not, but in the solo game it mostly seems like extraneous tapping.

Edit: A developer answered why the game doesn't autodraw cards: "Because you can choose not to draw a card. If, for instance, you're on your last life and are worried that the next drawn card will kill you, you can drop a card on the space first and then you don't have to draw one."

Another thing that should be automated is combat later in the game when it's mathematically impossible for a creature to defeat you. For example, if I've got a strength of 7 and I'm fighting a boar with a strength of 1, even if I roll a 1 on the die and the boar rolls a 6 it can't defeat me. Combat is fast paced and this isn't a deal breaker or anything, but I'd just as soon see the game say, "Yeah, you slaughter this critter, let's keep going." Again, I can see how you'd need to go through each step of combat in multiplayer when spells can be tossed around, but for the single player version, maybe not so much.

The real problem here is that this isn't a multiplayer version of Talisman. Instead, it's a single player game where you have quests (read: challenges) to overcome (i.e. go get a particular item, defeat all of the monsters on the board) rather than getting a Talisman and being the first to the center. Depending on how quickly you complete the quest, you'll get get a score of one to three Talismans, three being the best, and you'll also unlock other quests. There are ten characters you can play (though at the start you can only choose the Warrior) and fifty quests total. After that, presumably they'll sell you some more quests, characters, and expansions to the game.

This makes for a pretty weird experience. Most of the point of Talisman is to compete with the other players, so it's not really the same if you aren't running around attempting to screw everyone else over. And, while I've played solitaire Talisman before, that involves running multiple characters. Competition is a large part of what Talisman is all about. Another major part of Talisman is the random luck factor - and, let me tell you, this is a game with a lot of luck built in. In particular, the cards you draw or spaces you encounter often cause you to lose a turn. In a multiplayer game, this means that everyone else is getting ahead while you're twiddling your thumbs and the loss of a turn has some teeth to it. On the other hand, in Talisman Prologue losing a turn just means that your potential score is a bit lower. But, since the mechanism that made you lose a turn is generally utterly random, the penalty to your score doesn't reflect on how well you did or did not play. You just got screwed, and therefore you may only get two points instead of three. Another example of cards being nerfed is the toad effect. When you're playing a multiplayer version of Talisman and get turned into a toad you drop all your stuff, can only hop one square at a time for three rounds, and the other players all rush to grab your loot before you can turn back and rescue it yourself. It's a major pain in the ass and a potential game changer in the regular game, but here it's only a mild nuisance at worst.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the game isn't using a full set of the Talisman encounter cards from the base game for your quest. When I was going through quests as the Warrior I was generally encountering monsters I could fight reasonably easily, I wasn't encountering major craft based monsters that would just nuke me, I was consistently getting the same familiars following me around (such as the guide and the pixie), I kept getting the "get a strength each time you land here" card rather than the one for craft, and in a quest to kill dragons the Holy Lance made a point of popping up. On the one hand, I can see how the designers wanted to give you an optimal subset of cards to draw from as part of the whole scoring mechanism. On the other hand, it's not really much like Talisman if you aren't just drawing completely random stuff that your character can't really deal with, such as a Craft 8 demon rather than a bunch of Strength 3 giant apes. Then you wind up with pitfalls scattered around the board that you have to avoid, while also staying out of the way of the other players; so far in Talisman Prologue I haven't really had anything particularly nasty hit the table and, even when a tough card was on a space, having the board to yourself makes it easy to avoid.

Now, this isn't to say that Talisman Prologue is completely borked. It's reasonably fun running around the board, seeing how quickly you can power up and make for the center (or, in this case, achieve your quest goals), and experiencing the different cards in the game. That said, the variety of cards isn't as entertaining to experience when you're the only one encountering them, especially when the only actual effect is "my score may be arbitrarily lower". Also, while I'm only most of the way through the Warrior path so far, I have to say that the quests you're given aren't as entertaining as playing through a full game; I kept feeling that I was beating the quests about the time things really got going, at which point I'd have to start all the way over again with a fresh character on the next quest.

I'm enough of a fan of Talisman that I'm willing to sit down and play through all of the quests with the different characters and possibly shell out for more stuff down the road. However, I have no idea why this product was launched without multiplayer. It seems like every thing you'd need to add either pass-the-iPad multiplayer with friends or AI opponents could already been in the game with no difficulty whatsoever. I like that they tried to add solitaire game challenges (even if I'm dubious about how well they work), but I'd like them a lot more if quest mode was in addition to a full multiplayer version of the game.

Also, I find it particularly disappointing that, so far at least, there doesn't appear to be a mode where you just pick a character at will and see how quickly you can find a Talisman and fight your way to the center of the board. For a game called Talisman Prologue it's weird that so far I have yet to encounter the actual Talisman card. (For anyone wondering, I did complete a Warlock's Cave quest, but the game game me a time bonus rather than a Talisman.) It may be that something like this will be unlocked at some point in the game, but I got as far as unlocking the final challenge on the Warrior quest tree and the goal looked to be "kill everything on the board" rather than "get a Talisman and get to the center". I'll need to play that final quest before I can really say so, however, so hopefully my bitching here is premature.

Edit: SteveWD40 reports that, per the developers, once you complete all 50 quests a free play mode opens up where you can pick any character and play the traditional "go for the center" version of Talisman. This is good news, but it's mildly annoying that I have to jump through 50 hoops to open up the game mode I really want to play. (Here's the designer confirming free play mode.)

Talisman Prologue is a weird beast. The game is currently five bucks and for that price I'm happy to tool around in the game's quest mode without having the full-on multiplayer experience. If you've never played Talisman and are curious to see what it's all about then this version of the game will teach you the rules (not that they're particularly complicated) and give you a taste of what the full game is like. However, I'm not sure that the quests here are all that entertaining in and of themselves unless you're already familiar enough with the game to focus on knowing what to do to try to optimize your score. Finally, the lack of multiplayer is fairly inexplicable. I'd say Talisman Prologue is worth a fin if you're curious as to what Talisman is all about or if you're an old hand who is fond enough of the game to enjoy romping around the board unhindered by competition. However, when the full game price hits a sawbuck I'm not sure that I could really recommend this version.

FnordChan

Sad news? It has gone from being iOS vaporware to coming out in a few months, that's more like good news if true. :)

Well from a game that was scheduled for last fall and was moved to this month and now delayed again with the senior Vice President of capcom USA being confused as why.

It's still pretty much vaporware until proven otherwise :(

Glass half full. This could mean capcom is planning some marketing push for the west for ace attorney, but I'm not feeling those odds lol.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Capcom actually acknowledging it's existence is a good thing. Silver linings and all that. Pretty psyched about finally playing the AA series myself, whenever it does come out.

SteveWD40

Also, I find it particularly disappointing that, so far at least, there doesn't appear to be a mode where you just pick a character at will and see how quickly you can find a Talisman and fight your way to the center of the board.n

A free play mode unlocks after you complete all quests according to the dev on TA.

Alpha_eX

In the Runaway app description, this bugs me,

"The most famous couple in the history of adventure games is finally coming to iOS devices. "

Surely that title goes to George and Nico of Broken Sword fame. I best not get started on how butchered the Directors Cut of said game is.

Is Runaway any good? Might get the first part but is that not a sequel with backstory in a PC version?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
In the Runaway app description, this bugs me,

"The most famous couple in the history of adventure games is finally coming to iOS devices. "

Surely that title goes to George and Nico of Broken Sword fame. I best not get started on how butchered the Directors Cut of said game is.

Is Runaway any good? Might get the first part but is that not a sequel with backstory in a PC version?

I played Runaway 1 back in the day when it released on PC in 2001, was quite alright. I haven't played either of the two PC sequels. I guess the game series having a decade and a half almost of history gives them some claim to the "popular couple" theory. :)

The iOS release(s) is from what I understand a port/remake with completely new graphics of "Runaway 3: A Twist of Fate" (dropping the 3 number) which came out in 2009 for PC, split into multiple parts -- likely due to how massive they are in size. I can't speak for how dependant these games are in terms of overarching plot though.

FnordChan

A free play mode unlocks after you complete all quests according to the dev on TA.

Ah, excellent! That makes me a lot more excited about playing Talisman Prologue. On the other hand, I'm mildly annoyed that I'll have to jump through all of the quest hoops to unlock a mode that I feel should be in the game from the beginning. Still, great news - thanks for the heads up!

FnordChan

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ah, excellent! That makes me a lot more excited about playing Talisman Prologue. On the other hand, I'm mildly annoyed that I'll have to jump through all of the quest hoops to unlock a mode that I feel should be in the game from the beginning. Still, great news - thanks for the heads up!

FnordChan

I'll probably refer to your #1135 post as the resident GAF review of the game in the OP once I add it in later today. :)

FnordChan

I'll probably refer to your #1135 post as the resident GAF review of the game in the OP once I add it in later today. :)

Hopefully folks will find it useful! I've edited my review to include SteveWD40's info about free play mode unlocking later in the game.

FnordChan

Chopper

If my two favourite games on iPad are currently The Room, Machinarium and Sword & Sorcery, what recent releases would you guys recommend? I'm thinking Year Walk will be right up my street, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If my two favourite games on iPad are currently The Room, Machinarium and Sword & Sorcery, what recent releases would you guys recommend? I'm thinking Year Walk will be right up my street, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Year Walk is fantastic if you like arty wank (as you seem to, and as do I). You MIGHT also enjoy some of the metroidvania games out there - Waking Mars and Aquaria are both quite lovely experiences with a similarly isolated and lonely vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom