• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played Robot Unicorn Attack 2 once and deleted it. I see it's got that hideous mechanic where you can pay money at the end of a bad run to go further. Buying your highscores with IAP is absolutely the shittiest thing to happen to iOS gaming and no one should be encouraging this practice.

Sorry, Mario. The only possible reason for this mechanic is greed on the part of the developer over their desire to make a game with a competitive, fair and balanced playing field. So disappointing.

soldat7

offtopic but y'all should check out the new yahoo weather app. So damn slick!

No iPad version. Fail.

Played Robot Unicorn Attack 2 once and deleted it. I see it's got that hideous mechanic where you can pay money at the end of a bad run to go further. Buying your highscores with IAP is absolutely the shittiest thing to happen to iOS gaming and no one should be encouraging this practice.

Sorry, Mario. The only possible reason for this mechanic is greed on the part of the developer over their desire to make a game with a competitive, fair and balanced playing field. So disappointing.

Just one of many disturbing trends, unfortunately.

Isn't the game free? I hate it when there aren't some IAPs because I can't help generate revenue for them by giving one dollar or whatever percentage they get. It may be ugly to you, but it's also not 2.99 or 4.99. It's free. And like Gasketball, free cannot always succeed. So they have to ask people to pay a tiny amount. Is there something more than this that I am not understanding?

Isn't the game free? I hate it when there aren't some IAPs because I can't help generate revenue for them by giving one dollar or whatever percentage they get. It may be ugly to you, but it's also not 2.99 or 4.99. It's free. And like Gasketball, free cannot always succeed. So they have to ask people to pay a tiny amount. Is there something more than this that I am not understanding?

You're not understanding!

I have no problem with them charging for stuff, what I have a problem with is when they're specifically charging for high scores. It means the game can't possibly be competitive, ever, because if you have more money you have higher scores. RUA2 isn't as bad as Temple Run 2 was, but it's still horrible.

Geez, they really ripped all the personality out of Robot Unicorn Attack with the sequel...

It's pretty, but it's lacking everything that was great and weird about the first one.

Hugstable

Banned
In RUA2, I think you're able to exploit the share the news +100 tears I've been hitting the share facebook button but then closing out the share and not sending anything and you still get the 100 and you can do it forever it seems like. I'm getting quite high up there in tears.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I have no problem with them charging for stuff, what I have a problem with is when they're specifically charging for high scores. It means the game can't possibly be competitive, ever, because if you have more money you have higher scores. RUA2 isn't as bad as Temple Run 2 was, but it's still horrible.

Sorry you feel that way.

But you can't buy the high score, and you don't ever need to spend any real money to help you achieve higher scores.

okno

Crabitron is stupid, stupid fun. My fingers get clammy really fast, so I can't play very long, but its just a silly fun game.

Sorry you feel that way.

But you can't buy the high score, and you don't ever need to spend any real money to help you achieve higher scores.

That's simply not true, but I understand you have to defend the game somehow.

You don't need to spend money at all, literally.

You don't NEED to, but if you don't, your scores will be lower. What's the point of wasting your time playing a game whose sole focus is high-scores when you can't afford to buy the high-score?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

You don't NEED to, but if you don't, your scores will be lower. What's the point of wasting your time playing a game whose sole focus is high-scores when you can't afford to buy the high-score?

I'm sorry you have this gaming OCD, where playing a game is wasting time unless you achieve everything mechanically possible every time you play.

I personally simply don't care that you could extend a run with another wish or re-run a highscore if you wanted to (it resets to 0 if you continue, you don't get to resume where you died, you just re-do the wish!) by using some in-game currency you just earned while playing. It's not like it takes very long to just do another run.

I'm sorry you have this gaming OCD, where playing a game is wasting time.

I personally simply don't care that you could extend a run with another wish or re-run a highscore if you wanted to (it resets to 0 if you continue, you don't get to resume where you died, you just re-do the wish!) by using some in-game currency you just earned while playing. It's not like it takes very long to just do another run.

I get that it resets, but it still allows you to buy your way to a higher score. And yeah, I have about five hundred games I could be playing instead of RUA2 and so I do see it as a waste of my time if there's not really any goal worth shooting for, which is to say that the developer specifically removed the goal to make me pay for it.

If a score-chase game has no way to obtain high scores other than via my cash, there's no compulsion for me to practice and get better, and that's where I find fun in games.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I'm not "defending the game". I'm correcting your misunderstanding. You are wrong.

You can access EVERYTHING in the game including ALL boosts, powerups, retries, and upgrades with the exception of the licensed music without spending ANY real money. And the only reason we don't give you the ability to access the music for free is because the license agreements won't allow it.

If you want "the" high score, you can't buy it like you insinuate. You still have to earn it. There is no "I win" purchase.

Shaneus

Quick questions:

What are the different "levels"? For example, today's is "Calm Hill", but I'm not sure what that is, because I'm still running along those red/orange rocks...

And the next, what's the significance of the dolphins (if any)?

NeonGames_Kevin

Neo Member
This game is great and everyone should try it.
You might've fixed this by now, but I've had it lose my progress twice.

Actually, we had no idea about that issue until this patch. It turns out the way we were testing updates on our end is different than Apple's, and I always delete my app store copy of the game off my phone whenever i'm doing development ( which is pretty much every day ). I really appreciate the kind words. This game has lost me a lot of money personally, but it's gotten a lot of positive response. I'm going to use what I've learned from developing this and release some new card games that I feel will be profitable and still have the same level of addictiveness that Solitaire Vs. Blackjack has had with our players.

I'm also adding a email the developer feature in the next version. There really hasn't been a good way to communicate with the players besides posts on reddit and neogaf. For all I know this has been the #1 complaint but since it never showed up in reviews or my testing I didn't know about it!

If you are an app developer posting here, I'd recommend some way of implementing a feedback system to communicate back and forth with your players. For now I'm going to go with just email but I'll add a facebook and twitter hook soon. I bet we as players and developers would gain a lot from an open communication system since we don't work at big studios like I used to at EA where you have to go through HR to get comments approved.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Quick questions:

What are the different "levels"? For example, today's is "Calm Hill", but I'm not sure what that is, because I'm still running along those red/orange rocks...

Every day there is a new randomly generated level with a random name.

You can change the "world" between the rocky world and the ice world (once you have unlocked it) which has a different layout.

And the next, what's the significance of the dolphins (if any)?

The dolphins, the
whale and the seahorse
are really just distance markers. They have no impact on gameplay (only on framerate :/ )

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
There seems to be a bug that happens semi-frequently, during/after one of the "sonic booms" or whatever they are where you shake the entire screen (maybe these are the run-speed acceleration points?), it happens around the 10k mark the first time IIRC.

Anyway, the shake effect remains for the ground after it happens sometimes which makes the entire game jitter endlessly. I originally thought this was frame rate stutter (maybe it is) but it doesn't happen all the time and doesn't seem to affect what's on the screen apart from the ground, and it always happens around the same point in the game if it happens.

Playing on an iPhone 5.

On another performance note, the initial loading time on an iPad 3 is horrendous, it takes forever and sometimes the main menu screen music stop-starts 1-2 times before the menu even appears. :/

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
There seems to be a bug that happens semi-frequently, during/after one of the "sonic booms" or whatever they are where you shake the entire screen (maybe these are the run-speed acceleration points?), it happens around the 10k mark the first time IIRC.

Anyway, the shake effect remains for the ground after it happens sometimes which makes the entire game jitter endlessly. I originally thought this was frame rate stutter (maybe it is) but it doesn't happen all the time and doesn't seem to affect what's on the screen apart from the ground, and it always happens around the same point in the game if it happens.

Playing on an iPhone 5.

On another performance note, the initial loading time on an iPad 3 is horrendous, it takes forever and sometimes the main menu screen music stop-starts 1-2 times before the menu even appears. :/

Thanks for the detail. We are aware and looking at a bunch of things.

Should be a pretty fast turnaround on a submission with some fixes (I think there is already one in the queue).

Ignore the moany naysayers. RU2 is superb. It's a brilliant runner, you clearly don't need to spend real money - essentially, don't spend a penny and the game is a more polished version of the first RU - and the thing is fun as all hell.

Shaneus

Ahhh... so the ice world has a different layout each day, the rocky one is the same? Gotcha.

PS. I've noticed it does seem to miss/jump a frame or two on about half the wishes I play, but I can't seem to narrow down why. This is on a 4S. It's distracting but not game breaking.

BTW Like Into the Dead, will this have add removal IAP?

Edit: Maybe Tunesmith's issue is the same as mine... although I thought I'd noticed it before I ever hit around 10,000 (but maybe not).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks for the detail. We are aware and looking at a bunch of things.

Should be a pretty fast turnaround on a submission with some fixes (I think there is already one in the queue).

That's cool. :) Loving the game nontheless for what it is, the visual aesthetic just speaks to me on a primal childhood level, and it's made me build a 80's spacerock/ballad playlist I listen to at work. :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Ahhh... so the ice world has a different layout each day, the rocky one is the same? Gotcha.

No, each of them has a different layout every day, and each is different from the other.

BTW Like Into the Dead, will this have add removal IAP?

That's down to Adult Swim. They have talking about (testing) turning off ads with any IAP purchase, and an explicit purchase has been raised. There is nothing in there currently though, and I doubt anything will be in the first update for that.

TuneSmith said:
That's cool. :) Loving the game nontheless for what it is, the visual aesthetic just speaks to me on a primal childhood level, and it's made me build a 80's spacerock/ballad playlist I listen to at work. :p

You can get themed wallpapers at the website for the game too http://robotunicornattack.com/

PittaGAF

Having great fun with RU2 too, but as Tunesmith noted, loading times on iPad 3 and iPhone 4S are really too long...so much that I'm now thinking about before playing just because of that (it's a fast game...needs to be almost instant on).
Besides that, really well done, having great fun....definitely has that 'just one more game' factor, even if I'm not a fan of the 3 attempts combined thing.

As a side note, Talisman HD is a damn awesome solo boardgame, I'm loving it.

I feel a little upset about seeing a pay to retry/improve option on RUA2 but the game itself is really nice, the default music is very catchy and I like the hooks like the daily missions and the online battle, though inferno are greatly in the lead right now because everyone likes evil unicorns it seems.

I can see myself playing it for a while, I never got around to playing the original.

I find that on my iphone 5 half of my runs have a non smooth frame rate, like there is a constant stutter in the scrolling. It's not game breaking but when the game runs correctly you can really feel how smooth and fluid it is suppose to be.

Shaneus

Is there cloudy stuff for RUA2? I just realised it'd look pretty sweet on the iPad 3, but if I have to start at the start, I don't know if I could be bothered. I'm sure IAP is restorable, but it's the progress I'm concerned with.

PittaGAF

Is there cloudy stuff for RUA2? I just realised it'd look pretty sweet on the iPad 3, but if I have to start at the start, I don't know if I could be bothered. I'm sure IAP is restorable, but it's the progress I'm concerned with.

Yes it syncs automatically between devices.
Started on iPad 3....when loaded the game on iPhone I got all points, levels and such.

PittaGAF

I know I'm repeating myself, but high levels quest in Talisman are pretty awesome.
With multiple steps quests, you must play for many turns...and soon while you became powerful and much less luck-depending, the board is filled with cards and every step has multiple choice to make.

Working my way into the elf one.

Amazing how they adapted a 'social' game into a solo one, perfectly capturing the spirit of the boardgame.

man is cook serve delicious great on ipad, good work chubs!

Sure I play it better on pc (atm), but something about it feels better on touchscreen while on pc it feels like I'm playing a typing game of sorts.

For $3, everyone that doesn't have an ipad should get it.

Easily one of the best ipad games of the year (was this year right?).

You can access EVERYTHING in the game including ALL boosts, powerups, retries, and upgrades with the exception of the licensed music without spending ANY real money. And the only reason we don't give you the ability to access the music for free is because the license agreements won't allow it.

If you want "the" high score, you can't buy it like you insinuate. You still have to earn it. There is no "I win" purchase.

Yeah, but that's misleading and you know it. Just because you offer the player small amount of the in-game currency for playing doesn't suddenly make it okay. The players who spend money will be able to get higher scores because they will be able to constantly retry stages with no fear of running out.

To flip it around, then, can you justify this from a gameplay perspective? I mean, the idea that you have to spend, let's call it "money" to retry a life. How do you justify that? How is that improving the game?

Yeah, but that's misleading and you know it. Just because you offer the player small amount of the in-game currency for playing doesn't suddenly make it okay. The players who spend money will be able to get higher scores because they will be able to constantly retry stages with no fear of running out.

To flip it around, then, can you justify this from a gameplay perspective? I mean, the idea that you have to spend, let's call it "money" to retry a life. How do you justify that? How is that improving the game?

Don't forget that you can either pay something like 500 tears to do a 4th wish each run to add to your total, or pay £6.99 to always have a 4th wish.

Heel

Just bought Organ Trail and it is glorious.

The dev deserves some serious props. I did one run when it first came out, and there has been endless updates to the game since then. I really need to give it another go and see everything they've changed.

PFD

The dev deserves some serious props. I did one run when it first came out, and there has been endless updates to the game since then. I really need to give it another go and see everything they've changed.

Rock Paper Shotgun recently did a 4-part diary on the game. Hilarious stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom