• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Kingdom Rush Frontier screenshots:

Kingom-rush-frontiers-screenshot-1-800x600.jpg

Kingom-rush-frontiers-screenshot-3-800x600.jpg

Kingom-rush-frontiers-screenshot-5-800x600.jpg

My body is ready.

Oh my

My most anticipated game of any platform in 2013.

deim0s

What's the consensus on Baldur's Gate EE? I have an iPad Mini - does it feel/dialog text menu's cramped? Bugs?

For the record, i have the old ones on disc. Considering this as it's most accessible when I'm outside for some RPG goodness.

What's the consensus on Baldur's Gate EE? I have an iPad Mini - does it feel/dialog text menu's cramped? Bugs?

For the record, i have the old ones on disc. Considering this as it's most accessible when I'm outside for some RPG goodness.

It isn't ideal compared to a PC/mouse but it is pretty well done and plays fine. It ended up better than I expected.

There are a heap of bugs, but they are more "baldurs gate" type bugs. Just save often.

Snaku

Banned
Is there any fail safe plans for the online battles? since you can pay tears to swap teams, inferno might be stacked forever.

I am on rainbow <3

That's what I'm regretting. =/

Default music is amazing, btw. There's definitely a difference between playing this game, and having been a child of the 80's and playing this game. I feel like a kid.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Is there any fail safe plans for the online battles? since you can pay tears to swap teams, inferno might be stacked forever.

I am on rainbow <3

Yeah, there is stuff we can do server side to give an under-resourced side a fighting chance.

Enjoy your day in the sun while you can, Inferno.

Shaneus

I honestly prefer the default new music then the DLC stuff, it's really cool.
Default music is good, but you're crazy if you think it's better than Limahl's classic! ( ;) )

Really? I'd never heard of it before. Was it in a movie?

On the other hand, I'm surprised Never Ending Story isn't higher.

Hey now, I'm on Team Rainbow. Think you'll find it is the only correct choice.
I was, then I chose back. Now it seems I'll choose back again, only because I want to be on the side you're on ;)

PS. Anyone able to help on syncing across devices with RUA2? I tried playing on my iPad 3 last night, but it started from the beginning. Heck, I couldn't even restore my IAPs until I played the first level once (and even then, that didn't restore my progress/score).

What do you mean?
There are few non-music/rhythm games where music is absolutely integral to the game's allure, but the original Robot Unicorn was certainly one of them. I wouldn't have given that game a second look if it weren't for Erasure's Always. But in combination with a robot unicorn getting its head blown off and the rainbow graphics, it spoke so, so much to the tone of the game.

In the sequel, it's just some boring, non-lyrical song. It's nothing. Background music at its dullest. Completely neuters the tone, makes it pointless.

Don't get me wrong, the graphics are improved, the gameplay is pretty much identical... I just don't see the point in the sequel if you're not going to even try to recreate or improve upon the tone.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
There are few non-music/rhythm games where music is absolutely integral to the game's allure, but the original Robot Unicorn was certainly one of them. I wouldn't have given that game a second look if it weren't for Erasure's Always. But in combination with a robot unicorn getting its head blown off and the rainbow graphics, it spoke so, so much to the tone of the game.

In the sequel, it's just some boring, non-lyrical song. It's nothing. Background music at its dullest. Completely neuters the tone, makes it pointless.

Don't get me wrong, the graphics are improved, the gameplay is pretty much identical... I just don't see the point in the sequel if you're not going to even try to recreate or improve upon the tone.

Well, there is a combination of specific decisions and our hands being bound there.

In relation to the music, the problem was licensing. While there was the intent to try and find a way to get Always as the default music, licensing just wasn't going to allow that to happen if the game was free. And Adult Swim wanted to get to a much wider audience than the previous paid mobile versions had allowed for, so free was a requirement. So, Always is in there, for a price.

Module was tasked with a pretty tall order to try and "replace" Always. Taking it head on was going to be problematic, so he went for something more directly inspired by the content and the world we are building up rather than trying to match the tone of the original. Some people like it, some don't. It was always (ha!) going to be impossible to please everybody.

On the plus side, there is choice, and more choice than the original at that.

There are some specific things that have been done to change (rather than "improve") the tone a little. The game does take itself (slightly) more seriously, and attempts to shift in a more casual direction (again to obtain that larger audience). So there is a definite shift away from pure absurdity towards the fantastical, and a softening of some aspects like the severed head. There is actually a lot more groundwork that has been done to build the foundation for a much bigger world which we'll hopefully be able to realise with continued development.

Again, this won't please everybody, but based on the reception so far it feels like Adult Swim has undertaken an appropriate strategy and we have made the right creative choices.

deim0s

I hope Warhammer kills it so we can get some 40k on iOS in the future

Kills what? The Unicorn? :p

Do they have a release date for WH: Quest anyway?

Bought both BG: EE and Talisman. So good!

On BG:EE, why can't they just do a double tap to move? Panning the map then unwanted movement is going to be annoying.

Flunkie

Banned
Talisman not having cloud saving is bullshit. Now all my progress I've made is tied to my phone.

I also bought Stone Age and its excellent. Only universal, iCloud enabled (or at the very least, some server side MP interaction like Carc) board games will get my money.

For the dude who was asking for Catan-likes: Stone Age, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, and Tigris & Euphrates to a lesser degree.

dock

Super Stickman Golf 2 is very nice until the 'portals' show up, and ruin the game. The 'portal dungeon' is such a horrible level that I might just delete it.

I like that the game keeps IAP out of the way, but it's surprising that there's no way to skip horrible levels.

Keasar

Is it just for me that Leviathan Warships on iPad doesn't work? I cant create a account as it seems to freeze up on the Submit button.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Talisman not having cloud saving is bullshit. Now all my progress I've made is tied to my phone.

I also bought Stone Age and its excellent. Only universal, iCloud enabled (or at the very least, some server side MP interaction like Carc) board games will get my money.

For the dude who was asking for Catan-likes: Stone Age, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, and Tigris & Euphrates to a lesser degree.

You can set up a ScoreLoop account in the options, it offers cloud sync, and has multi platform sync as well with Android and PC.

PittaGAF

Talsiman HAS cross saving (on different OS too...Android and iOS for example).
You must go to settings and set up a Scoreloop account.
Then you receive an email and you can link as many devices you want to that account.
Voila'...as soon as you open the game it will ask you if you want to sync with cloud progresses if they are more recent.
Works like a charm for me between iPad 3 and iPhone 4S (mind you...the email is a bit slow...I waited 20 minutes).
Hope it helps!

EDIT: Beaten! :)

EDIT 2: Yes I found it by pure chance...I suggested the dev on TA forums to write that in the app description, being a pretty important feature imho.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Any witty thread title suggestions for May's Tunesmith Presents: iOS Gaming™?

(joke), I'm only hosting these threads until someone else want's a go or 'IAPs me' to go away. :)

For May, we'll see covetted Star Command, Frozen Synapse, potentially Warhammer Quest, a neat adventure game called Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery and.. Angry Birds Friends?

Paradox Interactive's 'Leviathan: Warships' hits the US App Store today, but will be more prominent in May if it turns out good (looks like!). We had a prior game that was similar being pretty cool last year(?) - Crimson Steam Pirates.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Bad news: Paradox Interactive's 'Leviathan: Warships' has been pulled from the App Store due to broken multiplayer.
Edit: Spoke with a friend over at Paradox, patch is in the works, might be back in the store on May 2nd. Star Command watch out!

Good news: Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy, the hotly anticipated 4X space strategy game for iPad is out!

iTunes Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id620439479

http://youtu.be/ue1Ymbnpmo4

Alliances are shattering, and hasty diplomatic treaties are made in secrecy. A confrontation of the superpowers seems inevitable only the outcome of the galactic conflict remains to be seen. Which faction will emerge victorious and rule the galaxy?

A game of Eclipse places you in control of a vast interstellar civilization, competing for success with its rivals. You will explore new star systems, research technologies, and build mighty spaceships. There are many potential paths to victory, so you need to plan your strategy considering the strengths and weaknesses of your species, while paying attention to the other civilizations' endeavors.

Eclipse other civilizations and lead your people to victory!

FEATURES

* Official iOS version of the 'Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy' boardgame
* Deep and challenging 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate) gameplay
* 7 species with different strengths and weaknesses
* Customizable star systems, technology tree and ship designs
* Up to 6 players (human or AI)
* Asynchronous multiplayer with push notifications
* 3 AI difficulty levels
* In-game tutorial & manual

I've just played around with Eclipse for a while and then completed the tutorial. Here are some early thoughts noting that I didn't really know much about it going in, besides that it looked like a cool 4x game...and I often like cool looking 4x games. I also think Neuroshima Hex is an extremely well put together game, so I was happy to at least give this game a chance (every good dev gets one!):

First a screen so you have an idea what I'm talking about. Note the hexes, because they are important to my impressions:

bjgfwyvccaigto00ruws.jpg

This is the main view you will be seeing a lot of.

The first thing that struck me is that it isn't really a 4x game in the traditional/Orion sense. It is actually based on a board game, that I of course have never heard of (and hence have no idea how faithful to it this game is, or even if it is worth referencing).

boardgamedxuzv.png

Apparently it is based on this. Given how complex the ipad version is, I can only imagine how many little bits and pieces there must be involved in it.

What does this mean? Well each round consists of you taking actions. These actions may be expanding your territory, researching new technology or upgrading your ships. Each action takes up points, and some turns you may even end up passing to conserve them.

This isn't too unusual for a 4x game in the least, but when you first "explore" and you add a hex to the "board" you realise what you are really going to be doing in general gameplay. The new hex may randomly have planets with resources or an enemy or nothing at all. You then assign the wormholes leading in and out of the new hex (connecting it to your existing territory and perhaps other promising directions) and repeat. Your opponents then do the same and the board gradually expands as you build up your fleets and choose to research with your acquired materials.

Sounds simple enough... but from there, things get a little more complicated...

bjgf068ceaeg8bonuuou.jpg

Expanded menus. It looks worse than it is.

Apart from managing your resources, you'll want to be acquiring victory points. These points go towards your score at the end of the game and will ultimately decide the winner. Often you may be given choices about if you want to acquire these points now or later. For example winning a battle might give you a choice between two victory points or a new gun for your ships. This appears to add a nice layer of strategy to your actions which could get quite complicated with a large number of players.

Sooner or later things will get real in the world of Eclipse and you'll find yourself in battle. Once you clash with an "Ancient" (neutral hostiles) or your opposition, combat plays out via a series of dice rolls. Your ships are chosen via their initiative priority and you choose which enemy ship to attack. If your roll is high enough? (modified by upgrades) you hit, Otherwise you miss and probably get blown up yourself.

The combat interface is slick and fights play out quite quickly. You'll also get into them quite often because the board seems relatively small and there are not many resources to go around. I haven't gone through a full online match yet, but I'm thinking they will be relatively quick compared to the more epic encounters of other games in the genre. You are limited to 8 rounds to get as many victory points as possible, so there will certainly be a lot of strategy involved in deciding upon your approach. Basically you shouldn't expect Orion type 6 month matches here.

bjgicopccaaasebpfua4.jpg

Battle scene! You are restricted to selecting your ships and the targets. You can also retreat if things are looking bad.

If this all sounds complicated, then it probably is. By no means have I wrapped my head around it all yet, and I somehow doubt given my backlog I ever will. The very good news is that (on an ipad at least) the interface is extremely slick. The icons may be very cryptic to begin with and the screens daunting, but once you work it out, there really isn't too much going on. You'll notice in the screens a row of extra buttons along the bottom, but they are just short cuts to the pop out menus on the side rather than completely new functions in themselves.

Functions like upgrading ships are easy to perform. If you capture a new technology from defeating an ancient? Simply drag it onto the type of ship you want to upgrade and all ships of that type are upgraded automatically. Upgrades concern things like giving your ships two shots instead of one, or providing modifiers so that you only need to roll a 5 to hit rather than a 6.

In general, everything drags and drops nicely and the screen is easy to navigate around on and responds well to zoom in and zoom out with a pinch. Other games, such as Orion and ascendency have been a little clunky in this regard as games dragged on, but the large hex based approach keeps everything well laid out.

There are lots of little nice touches too. No loading times to jump between menus here, screens snap in and out promptly and nothing is too hidden behind other options. Even little touches like the ships having a flashy "warping" animation between hexes add to the overall effect of something that the developers spent a lot of time on. Which it should, because they took forever.

Would I recommend it? I really have no idea. It is a little pricey at $7.50 (Aussie taxed price) so it is hard to just relatively jump in and give it a go. My feeling is that because it is more of a board game with set rules rather than the traditional 4x release and patch for ten years until it turns into a game model, it is probably well worth a look if you are the least bit interested.

In the meantime, I feel hardcore board game players might have a much more detailed take on exactly what is going on with the game and if the depth and long term viability of the design decisions is there to sustain the game. For now? I'm happy to have spent the cash and look forward to spending some more time with it.

Note: Tested on an ipad 2 after ~150MB download. No crashes or other technical issues to report but only after about an hours play. No IAPs sighted.

Also worth checking out this video review to learn more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qJtPh0PqIuA# (which probably would have saved me all that typing if I had seen it first...but such is life)

Keasar

I have the physical copy of the Eclipse board game and it is absolutely great, its been praised among my friends who have played it with me. Decided to get the iPad version for the extra portability.

I played Eclipse a few times at my friends place when we run board game nights and its become one of my favorites. I can't wait to play this on my ipad

PittaGAF

Detailed first impressions about Eclipse

Thanks....much appreciated.
I've no experience about the boardgame but I was interested and I love Starbase Orion, so I really appreciate your impressions....will look forward to more :)

This week is a nightmare...Eclipse, Star Command...I just discovered Sorcery will be out tomorrow!
And I have still high hopes about THE GAME (Warhammer Quest).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is eclipse beginner friendly? Not as in, easy to win without playing right, but easy to understand how to play right. I'm no good with strategy games, I can never wrap my head around large scale economies and strategies when they aren't actually ever explained to me and I'm just told vague shit about what this tech does and what that tech does and how this and that works but without outlining their use in real world situations with actual opponents and what not. I understand chess even if I suck at it, I don't understand most grand strategy games I've tried, they all seem made for seasoned players who know everything and just learn their specific twists.

Flunkie

Banned
I was just thinking the other night how badly I wanted to play Eclipse but didn't want to shelll out $50+ for the physical game!!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
That Eclipse game looks cool.

Can anyone recommend all the best board games that have:

a) local multiplayer that can be played within an hour
b) asynchronous multiplayer across ipad and iphone.

They don't need to fulfil both points.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That Eclipse game looks cool.

Can anyone recommend all the best board games that have:

a) local multiplayer that can be played within an hour
b) asynchronous multiplayer across ipad and iphone.

They don't need to fulfil both points.

Carcassone? I don't have the game myself but I think it matches both? Starbase Orion I guess isn't a boardgame but it could be! :p and would fit b) and maybe even a) if you play a small game against 1 AI.

And then as mentioned there's this one fresh in the OP :p :

Trailer

A game of Eclipse places you in control of a vast interstellar civilization, competing for success with its rivals. You will explore new star systems, research technologies, and build mighty spaceships. There are many potential paths to victory, so you need to plan your strategy considering the strengths and weaknesses of your species, while paying attention to the other civilizations' endeavours.

GAF Says:

Very nice GAF early impressions by toddhunter! Click this link to read

If we get more impressions I'll add em to the OP as well. I'll carry this and a few other games over to May's thread as well.

Hi guys :)

My first iOS game, Cosmic Conquest is out now!

It's a fast paced strategy/RTS game and it's a UNIVERSAL APP!

I'd really love you guys to check it out and give me any feedback :)

It's pretty cool to be posting about my own game here instead of just reading about all the others! :)

iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cosmic-conquest/id625745297?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2

Trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXjJBPpVG2o

Thanks! :)

I just want to highlight this, got sort of lost in all the Eclipse talk. While it's not my type of game I'm always happy to see GAFer games in these threads! :D

The game reminds me a bit of Galcon in terms of game mechanics.

I also totally had 'Xaero' as username back in the late 90's before Quake 3 came around and everyone thought I had taken my name from there! ^^

Brussels

RUA2 runs like hot garbage on iPhone 4.

It's not running very smooth on mine either.... but I don't blame it, iphone 4 is getting old.

I really am enjoying it though, I like the default music a lot. For some reason, I always smile when the whale shows up in the background and sings, I like to think he's cheering me on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom